Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

From someone at smogcon

quote:

Games will now end on a dice roll of a 5+ on turn 5. Ending automatically on turn 7.
Most cp wins when it happens. You don't win for having 5cp. (A 6cp lead ends the game).
Rumours that flags are caster scoring, circles are infantry scoring and squares are jack scoring.
Asassination is to be encourgaged. (Presumably because you just win...)
Going to be publicly tested for feedback next month.
---
Terrain to be seeded using pre-designed layouts.

Also rumour is that old witch is partisan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

albany academy posted:

From someone at smogcon

I saw that but it's loving weird, particularly how the individual items require different types of models to score.

I could see the turns thing just to make games a bit faster, but overall it's just a little too off for me to automatically accept it. Could just as easily be a troll.

OW2 having partisan would be great, even though I personally don't play Khador.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That hollowman looks really cool. I think I might really like the design of the new faction if they all look like that.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

I could see the turns thing just to make games a bit faster, but overall it's just a little too off for me to automatically accept it. Could just as easily be a troll.

It will be open to public testing, so it would be a pretty bad troll

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Hello, next faction?
When I'm done with... Uh... all of the others.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

albany academy posted:

It will be open to public testing, so it would be a pretty bad troll

Well I mean, is there any actual confirmation? Even Party Foul is uncertain it's legit.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Listen alright, I know a guy who knows a guy, ok

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

If I spill the beans then PP rolls a dice and on a 5+ they whack us

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

albany academy posted:

Hopefully not just a rumor

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

albany academy posted:

From someone at smogcon

So another hurdle to make scenario strangulation that much harder? I guess it helps against control casters, but otherwise it just seems to keep people in the game long enough to kill your caster.

I do like the idea of giving a purpose to units, but again we'll see how everything end up working out.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
We might have the release video today as well, some time after noon EST.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

So the new faction is those guys who stand out in front of Buckingham palace
With a bird

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That particular model would be akin to the Kilt lifter or the Druid Gone Wilder. Funny alternative models but not the actual thing.

Instead we get a mush mash of Nightmare Before Christmas and Children of the Corn.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Unless they make assassination a tiebreaker, assassination will be even less prevalent. Imagine CP tiebreakers with some matches being like 10 cp

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

evenworse username posted:

Redeemer(s) with Feora3 - funny idea that isn't worth actually doing or workable concept?

Once they can aim (which is almost always) under Incite they're up to effective RAT 5 and with Incite+Battle the rockets are POW 16.

I've only tried it once and that was into the Menoth mirror so obviously not as effective as it might possibly be.

I mean, that's pretty good, but under sev 1 you can jack marshal a redeemer onto a reclaimer and it's pow 17 while aiming. Throw in aiyana and holt with an attendant priest, 2 vassals, and a deliverer arms master, then you have a Rof3 Rat4 arcing fire POW19 with two focus! All for only 34 points!!

susan
Jan 14, 2013

albany academy posted:

From someone at smogcon

That could be a bitch under clock. Forcing a game to go until the end of turn 5 or 6 or maybe even 7 means 10 minutes or less per turn, and it sounds like you won't know until that point if you've hosed yourself on time.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chutche2 posted:

Unless they make assassination a tiebreaker, assassination will be even less prevalent. Imagine CP tiebreakers with some matches being like 10 cp

But you win immediately with assassination. All of this starts to look like scenario is getting taken off the table a bit.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rkajdi posted:

But you win immediately with assassination. All of this starts to look like scenario is getting taken off the table a bit.

Yeah, on the PP boards thread they are even talking about CP as a tiebreaker, which seems to me to emphasize assassination.

EDIT: Important correction on what was originally supported: game has a chance to randomly end after ROUND 5, not turn.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 17, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I don't like random round endings. That spoiled a ton of 40k games for me. I get the idea of forcing people to score points before the game ends but there will have to be much more relevant scenarios in the packet for that to even approach a realistic outcome.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I still say that even if it did turn out to be correct, having different types of models being only able to dominate zones of certain shapes is still such goofy-rear end poo poo that I can be forgiven for wondering if it was bullshit.

I mean, I get it promotes having mixed arms (where mixed arms means troopers versus warthingies) but it's still goofy-rear end poo poo.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Whoa

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How often is a game not meaningfully decided by the end of 5 anyway? Pretty rarely in all the events I've ever run.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

How often is a game not meaningfully decided by the end of 5 anyway? Pretty rarely in all the events I've ever run.

Scrambling for the last few points or to avoid assassination while you're up on points with the remnants of your list happens more than often enough in my experience

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fyrbrand posted:

Honestly, this makes more sense with Timed Turns instead of Deathclock. You don't need to worry about random time reductions or anything, since the games goes to Round 7 at worst. And honestly, getting rid of Deathclocks helps solve a bunch of stupid clock etiquette stuff that in theory exists.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?269446-SR2017-Spoilers-rumors-and-some-clarity-to-boot

Here is the official statement.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I've had games go down to the wire often enough. But those games took forever and don't mind them being cut short

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Clock can suck mah dilz even tho i play fast and have never been clocked

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If SR2017 is timed turns only they can do whatever they want

ya'll need to play the loving game right

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

If SR2017 is timed turns only they can do whatever they want

ya'll need to play the loving game right

Pagani said that Deathclock is still the name of the game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Pagani said that Deathclock is still the name of the game.

man gently caress pagani

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

man gently caress pagani

Death clock is cool and good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

Death clock is cool and good.

death clock is good, timed turns are better

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Pagani is also cool and good

even if he had a hand in nerfing High Reclaimer

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

death clock is good, timed turns are the worst possible option

Agreed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

git gud, etc, etc

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

I still say that even if it did turn out to be correct, having different types of models being only able to dominate zones of certain shapes is still such goofy-rear end poo poo that I can be forgiven for wondering if it was bullshit.

I mean, I get it promotes having mixed arms (where mixed arms means troopers versus warthingies) but it's still goofy-rear end poo poo.

I think it's a fantastic idea for more narrative scenarios in league play.

I don't know how I feel about it for SR.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GoodBee posted:

I think it's a fantastic idea for more narrative scenarios in league play.

I don't know how I feel about it for SR.

It'll depend on the scenario layouts at that point. Pagani makes it sound like points will be able to be scored more often.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Do you think we'll see things like scoring more points of an objective for having more models/more points of models in it, or will it just be more objectives on the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

rkajdi posted:

Yes, but a 9 to 3 scenario win is much more valuable than a top of 2 assassination with current tiebreakers