Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Considering almost half the country is openly embracing the rise of fascism and Nazi-era scare tactics WRT muslims/mexicans I'd be stunned if there weren't lots of people who were more concerned with making sure the maybe guilty are punished than freeing the definitely innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Execute the entire human race, just in case.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Doc Hawkins posted:

I can easily believe that some people are more worried about false negatives than false positives, though I wish they were more specific with their relative valuations; what ratio of guilty people to innocent people allowed to live is too high? 10? 1? .1?

A survey:
http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/guilty.htm

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

This conversation reminds me of Soon to be So Called Justice Neil Gorsuch's take on the Right to Die. Taking of life by private persons is always wrong. Hmmm. Guess we know where he falls now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Are you citing an article by Volokh that uses a descriptive legal survey methodology to claim an answer to a moral question? :psyduck:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I did not read it as having quite that intent:

quote:

The travels and metamorphoses of n through all lands and eras are the stuff that epic miniseries are made of. n is the father of criminal law. This is its story.

Fun and informative, thank you ulmont. :)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Execute the entire human race, just in case.

There is no such thing as innocence; only degrees of guilt.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you citing an article by Volokh that uses a descriptive legal survey methodology to claim an answer to a moral question? :psyduck:

Yes, I cited an article that surveys estimates of n guilty men from biblical times through cases from every state and then comes up with two differing mathematical formulas for calculating n based on crime rates as a definitive way to settle a moral question once and for all.

Seriously, did your mother have any children that lived?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ulmont posted:

Yes, I cited an article that surveys estimates of n guilty men from biblical times through cases from every state and then comes up with two differing mathematical formulas for calculating n based on crime rates as a definitive way to settle a moral question once and for all.

Seriously, did your mother have any children that lived?

Yes, obviously. Ok, let's try this a different way. Why are you citing this garbage?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, obviously. Ok, let's try this a different way. Why are you citing this garbage?

As a joke, obviously.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

evilweasel posted:

As a joke, obviously.

Satirical Volokh cites need to be signposted- too many people take him seriously. :colbert:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rygar201 posted:

This conversation reminds me of Soon to be So Called Justice Neil Gorsuch's take on the Right to Die. Taking of life by private persons is always wrong. Hmmm. Guess we know where he falls now.

So then how does he feel about Stand Your Ground laws?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Do you know of any other source collecting and providing references for a significant number of the differing values that have been proposed for the 'n' of 'n guilty men'?

evilweasel posted:

As a joke, obviously.

But mostly this.

Discendo Vox posted:

Satirical Volokh cites need to be signposted- too many people take him seriously. :colbert:

I'm going to bet that you didn't look at the article at all before posting furiously about it; in particular, I have serious doubt that you even know who the author is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You're right that I got the author wrong, but the method is ridiculous enough to be worthy of Eugene. And you're now arguing both sides of why you were citing it. Experimental philosophy: not even once.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Thaddius the Large posted:

So then how does he feel about Stand Your Ground laws?

My favorite Stand Your Ground incident was a gangster in Florida who initiated a confrontation with a rival gangster, which turned into a shootout, which turned into a homicide, which turned into an acquittal, because if you're in a shootout you are obviously in fear for your life. :toot:

I mean, I think he was convicted on some drug charges and suchlike, but he ducked Murder One.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My favorite Stand Your Ground incident was a gangster in Florida who initiated a confrontation with a rival gangster, which turned into a shootout, which turned into a homicide, which turned into an acquittal, because if you're in a shootout you are obviously in fear for your life. :toot:

I mean, I think he was convicted on some drug charges and suchlike, but he ducked Murder One.

I thought you were talking about Zimmerman (playing loose with “gangster”) till you got to the drug charges part.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

You're right that I got the author wrong, but the method is ridiculous enough to be worthy of Eugene. And you're now arguing both sides of why you were citing it. Experimental philosophy: not even once.

An article can be entertaining while still having accurate citations on an esoteric topic. I understand this may be difficult for you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There is no such thing as innocence; only degrees of guilt.

At this point I'd probably trust Cardassian leadership and justice over what the GOP and Trump want to do.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's eugene's little brother apparently

Also author of other great works like "the doj's misguided withdrawal from private prisons"

He also never took down his old volokh page

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 13, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I thought you were talking about Zimmerman (playing loose with “gangster”) till you got to the drug charges part.

Well that, and Zimmerman stalked a teenage boy through the neighborhood, not a rival gangster.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sasha's a clone of Eugene, hth

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So is Gorsuch in line behind all Trump's other appointees to get a confirmation hearing or is this a separate track?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Javid posted:

So is Gorsuch in line behind all Trump's other appointees to get a confirmation hearing or is this a separate track?

Gorsuch completes 68-page questionnaire for SCOTUS confirmation hearings (3 days ago)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Well this looks horrifying.

The AP reports Trump considering mobilizing 100K National Guardsman tour assist in apprehending and deporting undocumented immigrants.

Ethnic cleansing and concentration camps in modern America :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rygar201 posted:

The AP reports Trump considering mobilizing 100K National Guardsman tour assist in apprehending and deporting undocumented immigrants.

This is being immediately and strongly denied, FWIW. Somebody hosed up bad but we're not that far gone yet (probably).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rygar201 posted:

The white house is denying it and saying that it was just a draft memo similar to the 20% tariff thing they immediately backed down on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

They're trying to normalize other extreme actions- naive Overton pushing, basically.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

This is being immediately and strongly denied, FWIW. Somebody hosed up bad but we're not that far gone yet (probably).

It's being denied by Sean Spicer, whose job is to lie as loudly and angrily as possible, while the AP clearly saw the memo about it considering they know it's 11 pages and who wrote it

Not going to go with Spicer's denials here.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It seems to be an early memo of something they might do in the future but are not immediately planning.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Of course the Trump administration would never do anything crazy and terrible, we should definitely trust them on this, it's not like that could ever backfire, right guys? :tif:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Rygar201 posted:

If camps holding migrants for deportation are ethnic cleansing/concentration camps I've got some decades-old bad news for you.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

If camps holding migrants for deportation are ethnic cleansing/concentration camps I've got some decades-old bad news for you.

I'm aware of our sordid history and modern moral failings as well, thank you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

It's being denied but the AP has a copy of the memo in question and named the author and confirmed it was being discussed.

The administration lies. The AP is credible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

The white house is denying it and saying that it was just a draft memo similar to the 20% tariff thing they immediately backed down on.

I.e., "oh gently caress you caught us"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

It's being denied by Sean Spicer, whose job is to lie as loudly and angrily as possible, while the AP clearly saw the memo about it considering they know it's 11 pages and who wrote it

Not going to go with Spicer's denials here.

Also, Trump promised a deportation force during the campaign.

Like everything else he said, he meant what he promised during the campaign.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
True, but I would have expected more of an aggressive "Yeah, so?" response if this really was imminent.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Rygar201 posted:

I'm aware of our sordid history and modern moral failings as well, thank you.

Funny thing is, back in the "good old days" America actually was better at immigration that we are now. The system we have today is a (relatively) recent invention. It's pretty messed up that some people think it's easier/better to just roll out the NG rather than go back to an immigration system that probably allowed their ancestors in.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's being denied but the AP has a copy of the memo in question and named the author and confirmed it was being discussed.

The administration lies. The AP is credible.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if ICE's raids weren't a warm-up. Or it might be them deliberately leaking to test the waters.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Rygar201 posted:

Meanwhile Obama's raids were still much bigger than anything Trump has done on that front thus far. It is nice that people are finally paying attention now though.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Yeah that was kinda my point. The time to be #woke and do 3 million person marches was when your own party was in power. Then you'd be marginally more likely to be successful as opposed to being loving doomed because :lol: if you think Trump or executive police agencies care now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Meanwhile Obama's raids were still much bigger than anything Trump has done on that front thus far. It is nice that people are finally paying attention now though.

I have several mexican-american friends who laughed at me when I spoke with breathless horror of CBP taking people from the airports without access to lawyers and taking them to undisclosed locations that act as deportation processing camps.

Then they told me that that had been happening for years, but nobody cared before Trump was doing it.