Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Funny enough, I pretty much ended it about ten years ago for that reason. I was a freelancer at the time doing mostly sports photography, contracted by a local studio as well as a national stock agency and had lots of work. I started out with film and made the transition into digital, then watched the whole industry collapse basically. I got out of it when most of my local contract work dried up due to an over saturated market.

It seems (at least the market around here) that the "digital revolution" has kinda calmed down, and there might be room for me now to make some money again. Now I can do video and still simultaneously, and get a cheap but effective LED setup for lighting and start shooting for not much out of pocket, already have portfolio, would just have to get myself out there again. It would be a big step so it's something I'll have to think about for awhile.
I'd be interested in checking out your stuff sometimes if you have it up somewhere, or are planning on doing it. I was one of those d-bags 10 years ago, never did too much though because after spending the money on a rebel I didn't want to throw too much more into all the fancy equipment. It was basically used as an expensive powershot camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

InitialDave posted:

Fellow engineers/machinists: if someone asked you to chase through some threads or a hole, you'd understand what they meant, right? Because apparently several experienced people have never heard the term, and now I'm wondering if it's some kind of regional oddity.

Another yank confirming that I know what chasing threads means. They even sell thread chasers by name, like a tap or die but not exactly a tap or die. Just something that cleans threads up.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS712US712&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=thread+chaser

Same thing happened to me here at my new job, they'd never heard of a ball hone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scrubs season six posted:

2. Dealer in Phoenix

It's not Earnhardt Ford, is it? In an industry full of colossal dickbags, they manage to be a bag of dicks on an entirely new level.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Looking at car ads in the US, is there some ad aggregators around that I should know about, or is it just scouring craigslist? The last option makes me want to shoot myself already.

Also, thanks to freight charges, import duties, tax and yaddayadda, it isn't really cheaper to import from the US anymore, the main thing just being that the selection of (certain) cars is so much wider. Doesn't help that the USD has gone up 38% vs the SEK in the last three years.

InitialDave posted:

Fellow engineers/machinists: if someone asked you to chase through some threads or a hole, you'd understand what they meant, right? Because apparently several experienced people have never heard the term, and now I'm wondering if it's some kind of regional oddity.

As someone who a) has english as a second language and b) is not an engineer, I know what chasing a thread (or hole) means. Have you considered the fact that you might be working with people who are intellectually handicapped?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Looking at car ads in the US, is there some ad aggregators around that I should know about, or is it just scouring craigslist? The last option makes me want to shoot myself already.
Youre looking at buying a car? https://www.autotrader.com is pretty good.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not Earnhardt Ford, is it? In an industry full of colossal dickbags, they manage to be a bag of dicks on an entirely new level.

I always thought dickbags referred to the scrote. Learned something new today.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

My 2017 Raptor quest is going about as expected.
Econ 101, dude. Supply and demand is a bitch. Until they start getting more of them on lots this is what you can expect. It always happens on desirable vehicles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The solution is to buy cars no one wants.
For example, I bought a bright green manual micro car with 100hp in the IE (aka brodozer central).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

I'd be interested in checking out your stuff sometimes if you have it up somewhere, or are planning on doing it. I was one of those d-bags 10 years ago, never did too much though because after spending the money on a rebel I didn't want to throw too much more into all the fancy equipment. It was basically used as an expensive powershot camera.

All I used was was two 20Ds (still have one) with a 10-22 and a 70-200, that was pretty much my bread and butter, nothing all that fancy.

I don't really have anything online since I got out of it a long time ago, but Icon (stock agency) still has all my NASCAR and Indy stuff.

https://www.iconsportswire.com/browse

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What kind of watches do you all wear? My wife thinks I should have a nice watch (she wants to get me one for my birthday), but I find it hard to improve on this Seiko I bought for $40-some five years ago. I wish it was a little bigger than 35mm, but I love the plain face and the hour/minute numbering.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Safety Dance posted:

What kind of watches do you all wear? My wife thinks I should have a nice watch (she wants to get me one for my birthday), but I find it hard to improve on this Seiko I bought for $40-some five years ago. I wish it was a little bigger than 35mm, but I love the plain face and the hour/minute numbering.
I've never been complimented more than when I got my smart watch. I have an LG Urbane which is slightly older but I got it on sale for $99 last september.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-watch-urbane-smartwatch-46mm-stainless-steel-silver-leather/7039027.p?skuId=7039027

I usually default to this watch face since its so bright and colorful and really catches your eye, the colors move around too: https://facerepo.com/app/faces/details/time-star-spectrum-1563179aab7

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 17, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've got a citizen that the gf got me as a gift

Its got that perpetual calender which is p cool imo

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
My thread got archived but here have some boring video of my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMXOYW2dGpQ

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Have you considered the fact that you might be working with people who are intellectually handicapped?
That may be a little uncharitable.

May be.

Safety Dance posted:

I usually don't wear a watch, but when I do, I have a Chinese "seagull" movement based Rolex Daytona lookalike (it's not a replica, it doesn't pretend to be a real one) - with a glass rear to the case added, it's a nice looking "proper" mechanical watch that's a very reasonable cost.

I'd really like an Omega Speedmaster Professional, but I can't rationalise the expense.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cage posted:

I've never been complimented more than when I got my smart watch. I have an LG Urbane which is slightly older but I got it on sale for $99 last september.

That's a really handsome watch.

fridge corn posted:

I've got a citizen that the gf got me as a gift

Its got that perpetual calender which is p cool imo

Oh, those are pretty neat too!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lugs and hub centering rings are here, now for the actual tires and wheels to get here. :neckbeard:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cage posted:

My wife and I exchanged Fitbits for our anniversary last year. She got a Charge HR which just looks like your average rubber Fitbit but I got the Blaze and replaced the band with a metal link one since I react poorly to the rubber of most fitness trackers. I get a ton of compliments and questions about it and a surprising number of people mistake it for an Apple Watch at first.

I really dig the little celebration animation it does when I hit my step count for the day. :3:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah i think i need a smartwatch that does heartrate monitoring but doesn't look like a smartwatch...no digital screen, no gimmicky poo poo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

I actually have that watch in black and I can't bring myself to buy anything else because they're all ridiculous looking. For whatever reason the Swiss don't seem to have the confidence to make a plain simple watch like that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm playing this now in anticipation of the new one coming. Not sure what all you're going through right now (only caught snippets) and what this is in reference to otherwise, but good luck. :)

No watch for me, I have a smart phone if I need a clock. Never liked wearing much jewelry.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 17, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
My dad got me a Tag Heuer Formula 1 about three years ago as a birthday present. It's probably my favorite possession.

e: closest picture to it I can find online is this:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 17, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Apple Watch Sport, OP

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Apple Watch Sport, OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Apple Watch Sport, OP

looks real dumb

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Here in Canada it means clean out/up threads with a tap or die.

Means the same thing South of the border in Merica.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

My dad got me a Tag Heuer Formula 1 about three years ago as a birthday present. It's probably my favorite possession.

e: closest picture to it I can find online is this:

Good watch. When I was watch shopping I was trying to decide between an Omega Moonwatch and a Breitling, I forget the model. The Breitling was a ridiculous thing with a mother of pearl face that sounds ridiculous and garish, but looked tits.

Then I noticed that I no longer wear a watch and don't miss it... so there's :10bux: saved.

When I do wear a watch, it's a Raymond Weil W1 Chrono.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

My father bought me a Tissot for my 18th birthday, I've had it ever since (10 years). Nowadays if I forget to put it on before going out, it bothers me constantly until I get back home again. Can't believe it's survived through all the traveling and parties and poo poo I've put it through.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

Scat packs are great deals. Definitely the sweet spot in terms of performance value.

I'm in Reno and it's basically the worst location on the planet for car buying. How about 30 grand over MSRP for a leftover 2016 Hellcat? http://www.renododge.com/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Challenger-e84c12670a0e0a174ce2c9b75317eb06.htm

And the Ford dealer will happily charge you 10 grand over MSRP for a Raptor where you will get put on their list which is already longer than their number of allocations. They have 82 total F-150s right now and 55 of them are leftover 2016s. Gee, I wonder why.

We get all the downside of being close to Californians with too much money, and none of the upside of Vegas or Phoenix where at least they have a shitload of dealers competing with each other.

Yeah, but at least if you go Ford, you can get pills in the same stop.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I stopped wearing a watch when I started carrying a cell phone around.

I still have an old Seiko diver's watch that i wear when I'm paddle boarding tho. I love Seiko watches.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like owning a smart watch. Lets me save some phone battery to check messages and notifications, and I can even control google play music with it. I wouldn't pay over $100 for one though.

One neat app thats available lets you view on your watch screen whatever your phone camera sees. Good for stuff like checking behind your computer without pulling it out, or something in a weird place in your engine bay.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I have an OG Seiko Kinetic that I was given for graduation that's currently waiting to be repaired (again). But daily, I wear a Pebble Time Steel because I make good decisions and bought a discontinued smartwatch because it was so cheap. All I really want is notifications on my wrist and the alarm to wake me up, so I don't really care if it all disappears in a year.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

clam ache posted:

Means the same thing South of the border in Merica.

Colloquialisms, even common ones are weird. I spent my years calling a splinter a spelk. One day the wife said don't you mean skelf? No, it's a spelk you idiot. No, it's a skelf. We had each somehow never heard the other version. I had to google it to prove I wasn't talking nonsense, turns out it's some Tyneside thing I picked up off my dad.

I keep getting confused looks off people from dahn south by calling a fencepost a stob. When you have used always used a term and always been understood it's baffling when somebody doesn't understand.

It's like the guy from The Cribs said, I thought we spoke normal till we left Wakefield.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My 2017 Raptor quest is going about as expected.

2. Dealer in Phoenix supposedly has 4 Raptors on the lot and 4 more on the way. Called them and talked and then started corresponding via email. They said they'd sell me one for MSRP. Told them to send me a purchase agreement and we'll get this thing going. Sent me a credit app. Told them I wasn't filling out a credit app until we had a purchase agreement signed, and forwarded them my Bank of America approval. They said sure and that they'd send me the purchase agreement. That was 36 hours ago and haven't heard from them since. Which is exactly what I expected, because if they were selling them at MSRP they wouldn't have any. Especially in AZ and being that close to CA. From looking at their window stickers it looks like they're buying them from out of state dealers in which case they obviously can't/won't sell them for MSRP since they already paid at least MSRP (and probably more).

What dealer was that in AZ?

If you didn't already try them, call the Tom Jones dealerships in Buckeye or Wickenburg. They have always been straight with me and I've never seen them mark up over MSRP. They may not be able to get you one, but hopefully they will be honest with you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd love a slow 24hr watch but I absolutely can't justify one when I haven't worn a watch in years.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

stump posted:

Colloquialisms, even common ones are weird. I spent my years calling a splinter a spelk. One day the wife said don't you mean skelf? No, it's a spelk you idiot. No, it's a skelf. We had each somehow never heard the other version. I had to google it to prove I wasn't talking nonsense, turns out it's some Tyneside thing I picked up off my dad.

I keep getting confused looks off people from dahn south by calling a fencepost a stob. When you have used always used a term and always been understood it's baffling when somebody doesn't understand.

It's like the guy from The Cribs said, I thought we spoke normal till we left Wakefield.

I have never heard of a spelk, skelf, or stob, and I'd look at you like you were nuts if you used those words that look like a five year old with a speaking disorder made them up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have a cheap timex. I like it

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Adiabatic posted:

I have never heard of a spelk, skelf, or stob, and I'd look at you like you were nuts if you used those words that look like a five year old with a speaking disorder made them up.
I agree with this mod.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Really, you guys, when presented with a word you don't know the meaning of, you act like the speaker of the word is stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have an original Pebble that I lost the charging cable to.

I also have a Fitbit Charge (non-HR)... which I also lost the charging cable for. I finally ordered a cable for it, though.

I have a nice Swatch somewhere with a dead battery too, and a few 80s as gently caress Swatches.

Watches, bracelets, and rings tend to annoy me though, so I generally go without any of them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 17, 2017

• Locked thread