Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ethereal, shield-wielding sacreds are, in fact, really good even before a bless. They're one of the few sacreds that actually do work well with an S9 bless, since they'll already be ignoring 75% of (non-magical) hits anyways - and their Def is high enough to make even hitting them reliably not something most generic indies can do. B9 is also really nice to hating on anti-undead tactics (and getting into blood for your nation) along with adding a significant strength boost to their lower-than-average initial strength. Both blesses are decent choices, so just pick one.

Also, don't use Triarius. Build swarms of Velites to accompany your Vestals and have them javelin everything to death. Even before you start skelespamming you can field a perfectly fine ground army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Basically, Sceleria owns.

As long as you're willing to take an hour or more per turn managing thousands of skeletons.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
The trick with skeletons is to hit a critical mass of them. The first wave of skeletons flail around and don't do much other than get troops up to 30-50 fatigue, its the second and third waves that start benefiting from the defense penalties/critical hits from troops being at high fatigue.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
With sceleria your expansion parties are mostly waves of skeletons led by a priest. Sceleria is one of the best turboexpanding nations in the game and they need it due to poor path diversity, but you can realistically play them just about any way you want as long as you expand fast and hard.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The skeleton ball doesn't really get rolling until year 2 or 3 because you need money to make temples to make priests and it's only when you have a decent number of priests reanimating that you get skeletons in any meaningful amount. How the heck are you expanding with skeletons? Vestals are perfectly fine at expanding and keeping you covered until you reach peak skeleton.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't S9 bless Sceleria, go for the horrible D4N9B9 bless you can get with a Mother of Monsters that is basically guaranteed to kill the first 1 and maybe first 2 people you run into largely by itself. Shadow Vestals have limited elemental resists and there is quite a lot of anti-undead magic that cuts through MR to attack a pretty slim HP pool if you don't improve it somehow - S9 will help against Banishment but not really against Solar Rays, Dust to Dust, Wither Bones and all kinds of water/fire/lightning magic.

Early on you use a top-heavy communion so your Thaumaturgs can cast Divine Bless and Undead Power/the +4 MR one I forget the name of before spamming Apostasy, which steals enemy sacreds. It is completely gross, because your holy magic costs negligible fatigue.

In years 2/3 you have gigantic piles of skeletons, but after that you probably have to deal with battlefield evocation for a while before you eventually attrition your way through whoever you're fighting's mages/troops/provinces. When you're onto opponent four or five things get a bit more fluid but then they always do. You have basically unequalled vampire killing power with all your death magic and undrainable skeletons but your research is always pretty bad and communions end up spamming things like Horde of Skeletons which is probably not what you need, and poses a bit of a risk to your mages because of the fatigue cost (although their huge hp pool from N9D4 + 10% bless regen + probably 10% lizard shaman master personal regen too obviously cuts it some).

If you go D4N9B9 you also have a really obvious potential for lategame vampire/lich/Worm that Walks fun (keeping in mind the first 2 benefit from your undead-boosting H magic), and you can forge Astral stuff pretty easily to make an AC caster out of your god too. Probably don't cast Burden of Time unless you are a huge masochist/are left alone late against like Abysia and Bandar Log or some other very unlikely situation.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Wolfsbane posted:

Emphatically not me. Which reminds me:

I made an updated version of my bear tribe mod.

It was supposed to just be a simple update to reduce the insane power level. It actually ended up as a huge rewrite that added a civil war between the religious and secular factions via some crazy event modding. This is how most of my projects go.

Get it here

drat, I must be spoiled by the vanilla nation guides because I can't get a good strategy going with this nation in the few test games I played.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Did a quick test for scale again:

I think the province size is fine, but the trees need to be smaller and the eventual mountain sprites probably the size of the current trees (or slightly larger).

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The generator is now placing province center points:

(Don't mind the lack of trees, I turned them off and turned down the map size for quicker generation while debugging.)

And yes, if you don't care about aesthetics the current generator could turn out a playable map... if you manually set connections and starts and types in the Dom4 map editor.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 13, 2017

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Corbeau posted:

Did a quick test for scale again:

I think the province size is fine, but the trees need to be smaller and the eventual mountain sprites probably the size of the current trees (or slightly larger).

This looks sweet. Can't wait to see it with a full art pass.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

This looks sweet. Can't wait to see it with a full art pass.

He means more neon tree and higher density.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

He means more neon tree and higher density.

piss oceans by default tia

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Making a good looking map is certainly a noble endeavor, but I'd like to see the ugliest, most vile map that is still functional.

What properties would this map have?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I didn't realize when I signed up to MoMagicMoProblems what a slog it is inevitably going to become. It's turn 15 and some people already have fortresses seemingly everywhere (looking at you, C'Tis). I've love to hear some advice from previous forever war veterans on how you are supposed to play this.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mukip posted:

I didn't realize when I signed up to MoMagicMoProblems what a slog it is inevitably going to become. It's turn 15 and some people already have fortresses seemingly everywhere (looking at you, C'Tis). I've love to hear some advice from previous forever war veterans on how you are supposed to play this.

ive never played in one of those terrible games but: you make a fort in every province and you recruit a mage in every fort every turn

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Then when you get into a war and have to script them all you go AI instead.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mukip posted:

The next time I put up one of these games I'm going to have to add a big disclaimer: Do Not Sign Up If Your Autism Is Weak!

Having a million forts and mages, and having insane amounts of gems to summon things and cast dumb spells, is the entire point. Obviously a lot of people think this is nuts (true) and not fun (wrong!).

e: Araxes, whoever he is, was the player who got cut out of the game because he couldn't get his god uploaded for days. You might want to try and contact him and ask him if he'd sub for you, if it's really that bad.

How are u fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 17, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

hint: BoT is gone but AC is still in the pool

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mukip posted:

I didn't realize when I signed up to MoMagicMoProblems what a slog it is inevitably going to become.

*in Gorion voice* Ohhhhh, my child.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mukip posted:

It was early morning when I first read this post and I mistook asking for advice for giving up, my mistake!
Mo money is basically a game of forts. Fighting over forts, cracking forts, setting defensive traps on forts, filling forts with siege chaff. All done with unlimited resources and tons of magic. There is probably a lot less strategic maneuvering than in a normal game. Personally I find storming forts to be one of the most fraught and satisfying things in the game.

E: mo money is WWI compared to vanilla's napoleonic wars.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

Don't worry, this will escalate soon to the point where your giant armies crack even the best forts after a single turn of sieging. As How are u says, it's not about sieging but about all the fiendish traps you can lay. There'll be fake out forts looking important but drawing you away from important strategic points, forts filled up with crazy magic traps to destroy your armies and forts filled up with weird stuff because everyone has so much money they can just wildly experiment with units they would never use otherwise.

Just use your most expensive troops like candy and try to think like the unholy child of Stalin and Heinrich Kemmler when applying magic to a problem. You will be fine.

In normal games, losing 300-500+ units is dangerous, in gimmick games like this one, you'll only feel relieved of having less units eating up all your supplies. It truly is magic WWI.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Mukip posted:

C'tis here - they're all palisades, which is why I can get so many of them up. 600 gold is not exactly a huge investment in this sort of game, especially with good scales. Micro is actually starting to level off a bit for me as I finish my current wave of lab+fort construction, thankfully - the worst hassle has been finding all the places I am building forts that are 2 turns to completion and sending mages there to build labs.

I am expecting some amazingly epic battles and wars this game, with the sort of scale we're all operating at.

Naksu
Jul 22, 2007
Sounds like you all should've signed up for a much better game instead, Abandon All Hope:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Naksu posted:

Sounds like you all should've signed up for a much better game instead, Abandon All Hope:

I'm in both games :smith:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Funnily enough, even with it being a Mo Money game there's actually a reason not to fort all your provinces given we're playing with Magic Enhanced. There's a nifty S ritual spell in one of the branches that creates a magic site (Dimensional Instability) that produces pearls - but it immediately vanishes if you have a fort in the province. Oh, and there are a number of other spells that require you to be in a province with that magic site in order to cast.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Naksu posted:

Lol if the Earth didn't begin to shake

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's beginning to look like the correct way to play Dominions is just not to join any games with a R'lyeh in them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Voyager I posted:

It's beginning to look like the correct way to play Dominions is just not to join any games

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Voyager I posted:

It's beginning to look like the correct way to play Dominions is just not to join any games with a R'lyeh in them.

Rlyeh isn't the one who cast BoT in AbandonAllHope.

In other news, the map generator is now spitting out fully functional .map files to go along with the map image:

Not quite there on technical functionality - I need a nation choice interface, and the appropriate fixed spawns, or else you'll get "cannot find start location" errors because Dom4 is dumb and bad about picking starts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Naksu posted:

I feel like this fucks me harder than anyone else and I'm the farthest nation from your country in the entire game

Jerk.

Naksu
Jul 22, 2007
Are you one of the nations running death 3 scales and having 75 max age guys with old age? Because those guys are probably suffering the most.

Naksu fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 18, 2017

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
See, this is what happens when the young generation can't break into the job market.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I ride bikes all day posted:

See, this is what happens when the young generation can't break into the job market.

"I want grandkids."

"Do you have grandkids money?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Naksu posted:

Are you one of the nations running death 3 scales and having 75 max age guys with old age? Because those guys are probably suffering the most.

Is someone foolish enough to play Abysia?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm Ragha so I have their loving mages.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm Ragha so I have their loving mages.
Ragha is like the winningest faction of the era you should buddy up with someone to get it dispelled. Alchemise your free gems and poo poo.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's my first game. ARE they the winningest faction amongst goons? Do we have stats?

Also it was cast on turn 14, because everyone wants to copy NuclearMonkee.

Thinkmeats
Feb 10, 2004

Chicken pot SPY!
It's been about a billion years since I played this game, but somehow I lost a bet and now I'm trying to teach Dominions to a bunch of my college buddies -- the asynchronous turns hopefully will be a big help in terms of getting some strategy gaming in. I'm using Dominions 3 since it's the one I know and can teach, with the goal to get everyone on Dominions 4 if they get hooked--but that does mean some shenanigans are happening with trying to get a crowd of people into an ancient game. Given my circumstance, is this snek.earth thing my best bet, should I just stick with llamaserver, or am I best off just hosting it myself?

edit -- another question, I tried going through the steps listed in the matryx hosting guide and running the shortcut doesn't appear to do anything. Any thoughts?

Thinkmeats fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 18, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Thinkmeats posted:

It's been about a billion years since I played this game, but somehow I lost a bet and now I'm trying to teach Dominions to a bunch of my college buddies -- the asynchronous turns hopefully will be a big help in terms of getting some strategy gaming in. I'm using Dominions 3 since it's the one I know and can teach, with the goal to get everyone on Dominions 4 if they get hooked--but that does mean some shenanigans are happening with trying to get a crowd of people into an ancient game. Given my circumstance, is this snek.earth thing my best bet, should I just stick with llamaserver, or am I best off just hosting it myself?

edit -- another question, I tried going through the steps listed in the matryx hosting guide and running the shortcut doesn't appear to do anything. Any thoughts?

Use Snek.Earth. Also why the gently caress would you use Dom3 and have your friends buy Dom3 when Dom4 is a thousand times better and more user-friendly (lol). It also goes on sale for like $14 on Steam very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
What is snek.earth, I appreciate its name and the image but I don't know what it does

• Locked thread