Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I miss Superchunk. Her fighting Yakuza was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

precision posted:

Not for nothing, but I think what makes Akiyama the best Yakuza protag is that he actually, no kidding, has no ties to the Yakuza at all in 4 and in 5 he's like "hey, sure Kiryu, I'll keep your daughter safe".

Isn't he significantly younger than Kiryu/Majima/Saejima? What I'm getting at here is that he should be the sole protag for 7. PLEASE.

e: I get triggered every time I see Nishikiyama in his hot pink suit because it reminds me of my boy Aki-kun

I love how he keeps his shirt on for his final battle in 4. He has no need for your manly stripping bullshit, he's going to whup your rear end and still look sharp as gently caress.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

precision posted:

Oh well yeah, I just meant he's never been in the Yakuza.

Oh then yes, ignore my dissent, we're on same page.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

How on earth does saving work in premium adventure? I can save in it, but I can't load the saves. Whatever is going on here is going way over my head.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
The batting cages continue to taunt me. On the plus side, I think I finally know how to play mahjong after 3+ games trying to grasp it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Limit Breaker unlocked on Majima, still need a whole lot of CP on Kiryu for his :( running out of easy CP things to do.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is the real estate stuff time gated or something? I unlocked the real estate mini game and I'm in chapter 6 but I've run out of purchasable properties and I only own like 46 % of the Leisure King district.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DrNutt posted:

Is the real estate stuff time gated or something? I unlocked the real estate mini game and I'm in chapter 6 but I've run out of purchasable properties and I only own like 46 % of the Leisure King district.

You have to advance the story more.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
"Yeah, I'll do your request as long as it's reasonable."
"Would you mind joining that cult for me?"

The translation in this game is seriously top notch.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Infidel Castro posted:

Which style are you using on them?

Generally I've got beast style setup, so I can grab something. If its a few guys, then brawler, or if someone has a gun, then rush style. The problem is that Kiryu gets interrupted so easily that I'm lucky to get more then a hit or two before being stunned.
Hopefully I'll start getting the money train rolling in on the property stuff so I can afford to upgrade skills.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh nope, looks like I need to befriend the sushi chef at Sushi Gin before I can buy it. I didn't even realize buying business you can use was possible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

There are 2 properties you need to befriend the proprietors to get

Are you investing in the shops to upgrade them?

46% is like 8 D grade shops and 1 C grade shop.

You need every property in the district to be A or B grade in order to take over.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Policenaut posted:

You have to advance the story more.

Nah I did 100% of the Real Estate stuff in Chapter 6. I hope I can finish up the Cabaret Club in Chapter 7, still 2 clubs to go.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gah! I didn't even notice this thread. Now I have to read it all!

I love this game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exploded mummy posted:

There are 2 properties you need to befriend the proprietors to get

Are you investing in the shops to upgrade them?

46% is like 8 D grade shops and 1 C grade shop.

You need every property in the district to be A or B grade in order to take over.

Ah, didn't realize investment made a difference, thought the percentage was just businesses owned. I raised them all up to B and got the karaoke challenge without getting the sushi bar.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

Oh nope, looks like I need to befriend the sushi chef at Sushi Gin before I can buy it. I didn't even realize buying business you can use was possible.

If you don't want to fish, the password shop sells fish that he will accept for really weird sushi.

As long as you befriend the proprietor, once you're allowed into that district, the next time you talk to them you can buy the property.

Hope you're good at Outrun.

Evil Eagle posted:

Nah I did 100% of the Real Estate stuff in Chapter 6. I hope I can finish up the Cabaret Club in Chapter 7, still 2 clubs to go.

It's kind of a pain in Chapter 7 because you can't do the Club Moon challenge if your story objective involves the Grand.

Of course once you actually unlock it, the next story challenge is to unlock the Grand.

But you should be able to finish it after that or just wait until Chapter 8.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

Ah, didn't realize investment made a difference, thought the percentage was just businesses owned. I raised them all up to B and got the karaoke challenge without getting the sushi bar.

It's something like D grade is 5%, C is 6%, B is 8%, A is 10%, and S is 12%

So you can get by not owning 1 or 2 properties of you get everything to S grade.

When you upgrade them, you get that 1% or 2% delta incremented in your total share.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
oh boy i'm in a scientology center now

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

oh boy i'm in a scientology center now

Komancho, Brother. Do you wanna try the special Shoreh Pippi?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The real estate stuff is giving me serious AssCreed 2 vibes. I wonder if it served as inspiration at all.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm at 13/15 for the UFO catcher. Do the birds count as 4 plushies because they are different sizes?

Ok, quoting myself: both the Blue Squirrel and one of the birds have a Jumbo version.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Komancho, Brother. Do you wanna try the special Shoreh Pippi?

I think that sidequest has my favorite background theme music of the whole game. I know it pops up again but it's definitely perfect in that sidequest.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Haha, I'm wrapping up some Kiryu sidequests and I just got the one where you have to hang out with tiny dirtbag Daigo. He's so tiny! And a dirtbag! But he's so cool later! Truly, Kamurocho is a land of contrasts.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

But he's so cool later!

Cite your sources.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandallODim posted:

Not disagreeing about cool guy Shun Akiyama deserving his own game and being the best, but the thing that brings him into the plot in 4 is that he's lent a bunch of money to a yakuza organization, and is super invested personally in Arai so I don't think you can say he's got no connections. It's the same laid-back charm and general good-heartedness as keeping an eye on Haruka that elevates him above that. Akiyama just wants to believe in people's potential!

His intro in 5 is great.

"Aw man, you guys busted up my new printer! ....oh, wait, you're seriously trying to shake me down for protection money? HAHAHA, OK, time for sweet air juggles".

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Daigo probably gets swirleys even as Tojo Chairman.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Daigo probably gets swirleys even as Tojo Chairman.

He upgraded from swirlies to getting shot/blown up every other day.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, quoting myself: both the Blue Squirrel and one of the birds have a Jumbo version.

Jumbo cowboy squirrels are an actual prize and not a display piece?

Well, now I know my next frivolous obsession with slot cars behind me shall be.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My memory of 2 is that no one thought Daigo would be a good chairman (including himself), just that he was the only one left alive with a clear claim to it that wouldn't immediately lead to infighting. Basically the same problem as trying to find a new king of a country when the current king when a whole bunch of their family was suddenly killed or whatever.

The rest of the series is him trying to grow into that role without running back to uncle Kiryu.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Samurai Sanders posted:

My memory of 2 is that no one thought Daigo would be a good chairman (including himself), just that he was the only one left alive with a clear claim to it that wouldn't immediately lead to infighting. Basically the same problem as trying to find a new king of a country when the current king when a whole bunch of their family was suddenly killed or whatever.

The rest of the series is him trying to grow into that role without running back to uncle Kiryu.

That's absolutely correct re: Yakuza 2. It's like the single coherent plot thread in that game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also the "we gotta team up and stop these evil Koreans from having entertainment careers dammit" plot thread.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's been awhile since I played it, but wasn't Dead Souls the only Yakuza game where the villain outright says that Kiryu always coming back just screws everything up, leaves things in a greater mess than when he started, and if he actually cared about the Tojo Clan then he'd actually step up as Chairman? Kind of weird that the non-canon spinoff would be the only one to outright say it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

It's been awhile since I played it, but wasn't Dead Souls the only Yakuza game where the villain outright says that Kiryu always coming back just screws everything up, leaves things in a greater mess than when he started, and if he actually cared about the Tojo Clan then he'd actually step up as Chairman? Kind of weird that the non-canon spinoff would be the only one to outright say it.
Sometimes he comes back because of a sense of responsibility he has but probably shouldn't to the clan, but sometimes he gets wrapped up in their fights while he is just minding his own business.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Neo Rasa posted:

Also the "we gotta team up and stop these evil Koreans from having entertainment careers dammit" plot thread.

I played that loving thing 2 months ago and I can't say i even remember part of this.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sometimes he comes back because of a sense of responsibility he has but probably shouldn't to the clan, but sometimes he gets wrapped up in their fights while he is just minding his own business.

Good examples of being wrapped up in it, I think, are 3 and 5.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CrashScreen posted:

Good examples of being wrapped up in it, I think, are 3 and 5.

Yeah, they don't often give him a choice to not be wrapped up in it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I had so much hope for Daigo at the end of 2, then he spent 3 in a coma, in 4 he was a bad guy somehow (aren't the yakuza supposed to steal money???), and in 5 he just ditched everyone for baseball reasons. :sigh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lets hang out posted:

(aren't the yakuza supposed to steal money???)

It's a running joke that the protagonists in Yakuza appear to have a limited understanding of how yazuka work.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Which abilities carry over to the legendary stances? Is there a list of them somewhere online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

lets hang out posted:

I had so much hope for Daigo at the end of 2, then he spent 3 in a coma, in 4 he was a bad guy somehow (aren't the yakuza supposed to steal money???), and in 5 he just ditched everyone for baseball reasons. :sigh:

Daigo's a bad guy in 4 because he crumples to the Ueno Seiwa and Munakata's pressure, instead of being a tough guy, because he thinks he's making the right choice for saving the Tojo and being strong like Kiryu. Then Kiryu beats him up and he realizes he's actually just been a big wimp.