Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Bioware really just can't win with FemRyder can they? Every time she has to emote it looks awkward as gently caress.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Why are you goons so obsessed with a face that is either going to be in a helmet or customized?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

my life is pain

end me

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Zzulu posted:

One of the party members should be a grody nerd who just sits at a console all day and types hateful things about women. He sometimes walks around the ship staring at female crewmembers but never speaking to them. When you try to romance him he breaks down and starts wailing about the size of his penis and runs away. Unless you jettison him after a certain point in the story, he will go on a killing spree on your ship and kill all your crew and then himself

Original character do not steal

me irl

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sarah Ryder looks fine, quit being so loving autistic, holy poo poo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

As far as video game faces go, this looks pretty standard.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will play BroRyder and hook up with Liam or Jaal or Drack anyway, so I don't mind Bioware being too incompetent to make a decent SisRyder.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

When you're 22 and just want to explore planets and bang aliens, but you're given the responsibility of Pathfinder

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Deakul posted:

ummmm if you check out my youtube channel "Furious Frank" and watch hour two of my eight-hour series "The Mass Effect Animation Rant" then clearly you'll see that

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trast posted:

Why are you goons so obsessed with a face that is either going to be in a helmet or customized?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I want to see the Venom in the new engine. It was one of the neater guns in ME3MP.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You bring muthafucks in for a nice close look at 'Ryderface' before throwing them back at their friends with your scary brain powers.

You teach them fear and it's a one person combo attack, always nice to have.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deakul posted:

That still frame looks funny. It's okay to laugh at something that looks silly. Mass Effect has given us many such moments.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Torrannor posted:

I will play BroRyder and hook up with Liam or Jaal or Drack anyway, so I don't mind Bioware being too incompetent to make a decent SisRyder.
Why aren't we calling him Bro Rida

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Looks good, for Mass Effect 1 overheat mode, use Remnant weapons! Charge up heat seeking plasma weapons seem like they'd be hard to fight against if those are the weapons most of the enemies actually use.

I also like that most skills will have different modes i.e. a quick press vs. a button hold.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I want to see the Venom in the new engine. It was one of the neater guns in ME3MP.

I'm still a sucker for the old, reliable Paladin in MP, which I still play regularly. My favorite of the weirder guns is without doubt the Reegar, which is an excellent shield-stripper on melee characters.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Combat and leveling looks great to me. Can't wait.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Looks good, for Mass Effect 1 overheat mode, use Remnant weapons! Charge up heat seeking plasma weapons seem like they'd be hard to fight against if those are the weapons most of the enemies actually use.

I also like that most skills will have different modes i.e. a quick press vs. a button hold.

You can still have ME1 overheat on Mikley Way guns with vintege heat sinks, one of the developers said that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

For those who prefer to read: https://www.masseffect.com/news/weapons-and-skills

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I assume that those seeking "plasma weapons" are all based on toroid-launchers like the Geth Plasma weapons.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Looks like they overhauled weight as well- there's no benefit for being 'under capacity', only a penalty once you go past your weight limit. That should help the "only use the smallest weapons possible as a caster" problem to some extent.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So no Warp in the biotic tree is a little weird, though it might be the 'lance' skill.

And 3 active skills is still absolute bullshit when there are so many cool toys to play with.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Deakul posted:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Oh there still are 4 weapon classes- Snipers and assault rifles are still seperate, and each of the 4 firearm classes gets their own passive tree.
EDIT: Lance is definitely the warp replacement

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Oh there still are 4 weapon classes- Snipers and assault rifles are still seperate, and each of the 4 firearm classes gets their own passive tree.

Yeah it looks like it was just rolled back to ME1 where pistols and smgs were the same.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ein Sexmonster posted:

And it can headshot!?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The power stuff shown in the video shows some really good design changes as well, I think- There's fewer "fire and forget on cooldown" buttons like incinerate/warp/overload were in the first game- there's more stuff to do.
Also the passives scale with how many points you have invested into their tree. So instead of fitness being the generic health tree, there's 3 "boost your survivability" passives. It also looks like most/all of the combat powers are charge-based instead of cooldown-based, which makes sense and should give heavy weaponry-based builds a lot more variety.
Some screencaps:
The three survivability passives:

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 17, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hmm alright gameplay looks solid, although the teammate AI looked a bit silly just standing there. Some of the enemies too, hopefully that's fixed before launch

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Audemus ‏@audemusn7
Can you explain what power cells are? Are they like the ones in ME2 used to power heavy weapons?

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
Mechanically, they work like "grenade ammo" did in me3.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

frajaq posted:

Hmm alright gameplay looks solid, although the teammate AI looked a bit silly just standing there. Some of the enemies too, hopefully that's fixed before launch

That the one thing I'm worried about : We get so many powers it gets balanced against dumb enemies that are bullet sponges.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
He said that biotics do less damage to shielded targets in the video. Didn't shielded targets use to be completely immune to biotics in ME2/3?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Audemus ‏@audemusn7
Can you explain what power cells are? Are they like the ones in ME2 used to power heavy weapons?

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
Mechanically, they work like "grenade ammo" did in me3.
Unlike ME3 it seems like you get cells for each skill instead of a shared pool:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

He said that biotics do less damage to shielded targets in the video. Didn't shielded targets use to be completely immune to biotics in ME2/3?

No it just did less damage. Warp/Nova/Charge etc still hurt them but throw/pull/shockwave did gently caress all since their damage was minimal and it negated the physics stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Unlike ME3 it seems like you get cells for each skill instead of a shared pool:

How do you read this? Is Power Cell capacity at 2 before you pick and then you get a third when you select the skill, or are they just feeding you redundant information - so you have a total of two capacity after you pick, which is an increase of 1 from the previous skill?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Drifter posted:

How do you read this? Is Power Cell capacity at 2 before you pick and then you get a third when you select the skill, or are they just feeding you redundant information - so you have a total of two capacity after you pick, which is an increase of 1 from the previous skill?
The top rows are the baseline, the other bonuses are ones given by putting ranks in the skill. So Rank 2 gave +1 power cell capacity (over the base of 2), while rank 3 gave bonus force/damage. If you look at the detailed info for the skill it's pretty clear, I posted a few earlier.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 17, 2017

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

frajaq posted:

Anything would be better than the DA:I squad AI. They were flinging themselves into death. In Mass Effect you normally only had to baby sit the squishies. The snipers or techs sat back and flung powers. Of course you could do it the easiest way and just pick Grunt so he could run hog wild.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

It still did damage, but armored or shielded targets were immune to the power physics. It made playing an adept on harder difficulties a real loving bore because in ME 2 you could only combo off the non-damage setup powers like lift, so pretty much everyone was immune. You ended up hunkered behind cover, spamming warp on cooldown and feeling like a twit.

They fixed that in ME 3 though, so it ought to be fine here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Looks like they're simplifying what abilities can detonate each other.