Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

i have an interview tomorrow. :yotj:

suck their loving dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
challenge the interviewer to ritual combat op

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

saw a linkedin post where dozens of people were having a chuckle about a job ad which covered most of my responsibilities, at the salary i'm getting, saying that the expectations & compensation were ridiculously low

lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

fart simpson posted:

im the opposite of your brother. i was really lazy about studying and passed all sorts of tests in college when i didn't know the material, just by reading into the wording of the questions and pattern matching. lol.

congrats, you are a machine learning master

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just got a great offer in another city. on a pure numbers basis I have to take it, but considering moving the wife, buying a new house, leaving everything I have going here does not sound like a good time. remote work is not an option. I will probably have to turn them down and I will probably never again see an offer like the dump truck full of cash they're offering me. poo poo

end e/n post

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Management posted:

I just got a great offer in another city. on a pure numbers basis I have to take it, but considering moving the wife, buying a new house, leaving everything I have going here does not sound like a good time. remote work is not an option. I will probably have to turn them down and I will probably never again see an offer like the dump truck full of cash they're offering me. poo poo

end e/n post

The heck did you apply/interview then?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you don't need to buy a house to work somewhere

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i had a coworker at intel whose wife stayed back in texas to finish up her PHR certification for a year or so, he rented while looking for a place to buy when she was able to move out. i still own my place up in sac, renting it out while living in SF

like yeah it sucks picking up everything and moving away from friends, institutions. but like.. have the conversation?

also dump trucks full o' cash don't make up for friends and family being hours/states/timezones away, you're dooming you and your wife to rebuilding social lives in Trump's america

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

also dump trucks full o' cash don't make up for friends and family being hours/states/timezones away, you're dooming you and your wife to rebuilding social lives in Trump's america

unless the dump trucks of cash are euros or neo-deutschmarks 'cause the job's in berlin

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

unless the dump trucks of cash are euros or neo-deutschmarks 'cause the job's in berlin

might not be a bad idea to escape to berlin before the fascist purges start

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my friend who works there convinced me to talk to them. it was interesting and I'm glad I went. and I talked to the wife. we can't see a way to make it work

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

my friend who works there convinced me to talk to them. it was interesting and I'm glad I went. and I talked to the wife. we can't see a way to make it work

dump wife, pay alimony based on old salary, make more with new salary

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mishaq posted:

dump wife, pay alimony based on old salary, make more with new salary

this.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

You can always buy a new wife op, remember that

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

The Management posted:

this option has a massive upside and you can structure it so it has minimal downside. you can leave your wife where she is, move to new city, rent something there, see how it goes. the worst that happens is that it doesn't work out, you let the lease expire, and in six months you're back where you started.

also you should think very hard about whether letting this opportunity pass is going to eat away at you + gradually destroy your relationship

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 17, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/work/looksee-registration/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Berlin is way cooler than any place in the US so :sever:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

JawnV6 posted:

also dump trucks full o' cash don't make up for friends and family being hours/states/timezones away

lmao yes they do

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

coffeetable posted:

this option has a massive upside and you can structure it so it has minimal downside. you can leave your wife

:same:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
take that job

now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
thanks for all of the gooney advice. there are a lot of details that I didn't mention that factor into this. I would rather stay married than have the money, that's an easy decision for me. I'm just trying to work out if there's any way to make both happen that doesn't kill me with travel. it's unlikely. oh well, some figgies can't be got.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
dude, you can move out for a couple months and get a new place.

not everything has to be totally perfect the first instant at all times.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I've got to prepare a detailed self evaluation for a promotion opportunity and it is way more frustrating than any other work I actually do

Maybe I should practice my vanity somewhere.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Basically, just put a number to the inconvenience and see if they've met that number or not. It's fine if they haven't.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Management posted:

thanks for all of the gooney advice. there are a lot of details that I didn't mention that factor into this. I would rather stay married than have the money, that's an easy decision for me. I'm just trying to work out if there's any way to make both happen that doesn't kill me with travel. it's unlikely. oh well, some figgies can't be got.

get divorced and take the money

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

The Management posted:

ok, look at the converse: presumably there is some salary at which you would take the job. how much higher is that number than their current offer?

e: beaten by doom

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 17, 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

I've got to prepare a detailed self evaluation for a promotion opportunity and it is way more frustrating than any other work I actually do

god I hate self evaluation time

me, filling out the form: "I do the thing ok I guess"
my boss, filling out the form: "minivanmegafun exemplifies what needs to be done for the thing and is a great influence on how to do the thing to people around him and blah blah blah"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

minivanmegafun posted:

god I hate self evaluation time

me, filling out the form: "I do the thing ok I guess"
my boss, filling out the form: "minivanmegafun exemplifies what needs to be done for the thing and is a great influence on how to do the thing to people around him and blah blah blah"

I went with something like:
"I've been solving more business problems than have been directly assigned while becoming internally recognized as an expert in <x, y and zed>. You should promote me I want more money."

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

my self review is 'fire me i dare you i hear our competitor is hiring'

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

power botton posted:

Mine is: I hear the Cayman Islands are nice.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
your self review should be the most blatant self aggrandizing, written in a way that your boss can copy and paste back into your review. you
need to remind them all the things you do. if you're having a hard time remembering, they sure don't remember.

your boss may have to argue for and defend your raise before his bosses, colleagues, and hr. give him as much ammunition as you can to do that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

power botton posted:

it should be "make me happy so that I don't need to think about leaving"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've become a lot better at performance evaluations over time but my god is that stuff a load of poo poo

All we have to lose is our chains brothers :anarchists: :ussr:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Promo easy mode is to just leave and come back in a few months

But you'd likely not want to go back after seeing how good it is elsewhere

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

well i had my phone interview

they asked a bunch of java questions some of which i didn't know the answer to

they asked a bunch of database questions some of which i didn't know the answer to

they're going to give their feedback to HR and get back to me

i'm super nervous and going to go eat food and drink soda until the end of time

they asked me a single oracle question so i hope i didn't write that i know oracle on my resume, i took a semester of it in college

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
can you describe the difference between an inner and outer join? because a "senior DBA" we interviewed couldn't

people wayyyy overestimate the IT baseline competency

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 17, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bhodi posted:

can you describe the difference between an inner and outer join? because a "senior DBA" we interviewed couldn't

people wayyyy overestimate the IT baseline competency

yes, this. mostly because most people are unbelievably incompetent

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Management posted:

yes, this. mostly because most people are unbelievably incompetent
I've been doing this for 15 years and every single year I meet someone who drops it a notch lower than I thought it could go

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

wife 4 lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bhodi posted:

I've been doing this for 15 years and every single year I meet someone who drops it a notch lower than I thought it could go

you're so close, just keep going and you'll recognize the truth

• Locked thread