Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Trast posted:

Anything would be better than the DA:I squad AI. They were flinging themselves into death. In Mass Effect you normally only had to baby sit the squishies. The snipers or techs sat back and flung powers. Of course you could do it the easiest way and just pick Grunt so he could run hog wild.
Pretty sure ME1 Garrus was even more suicidal than anyone in Inquisition. Save maybe Iron Bull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Halloween Jack posted:

Looks like they're simplifying what abilities can detonate each other.

Yeah, it looks like its become just 'primers' and 'detonators' instead of all the crazy edge cases of tech combos/biotic combos you had in ME3.

I am a bit sad Warp can't set up a combo to set off with Throw anymore though. That was always satisfying as hell.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It would've been nice to have 3-person combos every now and then.

Weren't the tech combos and biotics combos still just "primers" and "detonators"? What would be different between ME3 and Andromeda here?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I can play a novaguard with a hammer in this right? That's where the "no class" thing is leading to?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Drifter posted:

Weren't the tech combos and biotics combos still just "primers" and "detonators"?
They did a patch that made them universal, but there were still weird rules and interactions that weren't obvious without experimentation- like warp being both a detonator and primer under some circumstances.
The new system is simpler and explained to the player much more simply.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Groetgaffel posted:

Pretty sure ME1 Garrus was even more suicidal than anyone in Inquisition. Save maybe Iron Bull.
Yeah, the sniper either doesn't believe in cover, or stands right behind me so I can't see what I'm shooting at.

I gave Garrus every possible upgrade to his defenses and let him snipe from someplace far away from me.

Drifter posted:

Weren't the tech combos and biotics combos still just "primers" and "detonators"? What would be different between ME3 and Andromeda here?
In SP, at least, not every detonator power detonates every kind of combo. Warp is universal, though :shopkeeper:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 17, 2017

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

My favorite move in ME 2&3 was pulling in a bunch of dudes with Singularity and then hitting them with whatever the Explode power was and watching them ragdoll all over the place. If I can still do that I'll be very happy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

My favorite move in ME 2&3 was pulling in a bunch of dudes with Singularity and then hitting them with whatever the Explode power was and watching them ragdoll all over the place. If I can still do that I'll be very happy.

Detonations were definitely a highlight of the series. Right up there with lifting someone in zero-g and then throwing them out into deep space.

Combos in ME 3 just felt so good. The sound and visual effects on them were outstanding.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Do we have any idea what they're doing in terms of party member classes? From the description Liam seems to be an Engineer, but Cora could be either an Adept or a Vanguard based on the descriptions I've been given. Was this information ever released or are we still in the dark?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Skippy McPants posted:

Detonations were definitely a highlight of the series. Right up there with lifting someone in zero-g and then throwing them out into deep space.

Lift to remove gravity, angle a lash above them to hurl them into the air, Slam to chaos dunk them back to earth.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

So I can play a novaguard with a hammer in this right? That's where the "no class" thing is leading to?

We've had it all wrong. "No class" is just how Bioware describes itself these days..

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do we have any idea what they're doing in terms of party member classes? From the description Liam seems to be an Engineer, but Cora could be either an Adept or a Vanguard based on the descriptions I've been given. Was this information ever released or are we still in the dark?

They're more fluid it looks like. Cora explicitly is all about Charging though, so she's pretty clearly a Vanguard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zore posted:

They're more fluid it looks like. Cora explicitly is all about Charging though, so she's pretty clearly a Vanguard.
Always Bang Cora.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zore posted:

Yea based on the descriptions-
Cora- Vanguard
Liam- Engineer
Drack- Soldier
Nyx- Sentinel
Peebe- Adept
Jaal- Infiltrator

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is nyx the salarian?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Vetra Nyx is the Turian squadmate.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Is nyx the salarian?

No Salarian squaddie, they apparently cut him in development (the assets were repurposed for the Salarian in the giant armor we saw for multiplayer apparently).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

Is nyx the salarian?

I put this stuff in the OP for you, Drifter. You in particular.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Possibly unpopular opinion here: I'd love to be able to run solo missions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Same. You can go solo in Inquisition, so perhaps they'll let you do it in Andromeda.

quote:

Adam Barling ‏adam_Barling
Can I craft a plasma-based, heat-seeking sniper rifle?! That seems absudly OP :)

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
You can indeed. :D There are generally counterbalances built into the crafting system, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yea based on the descriptions-
Cora- Vanguard
Liam- Engineer
Drack- Soldier
Nyx- Sentinel
Peebe- Adept
Jaal- Infiltrator

I rooted through the descriptions on their website and this seems to be mostly right except for PeeBee and Liam. Liam is called an Engineer in his background but between the fact that he was also a police officer (ie, he has a mixed tech and combat background) and the fact that his listed Favored Ability is Havoc Strike I think he's the Infiltrator.

PeeBee's listed favored ability is a tech ability, Invasion. Which I believe is renamed Hacking? I think she might actually be the Engineer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Havoc Strike wasn't an infiltrator ability in ME3, it was on the Turian Soldier kit and worked kind of like a techy charge.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Havoc Strike wasn't an infiltrator ability in ME3, it was on the Turian Soldier kit and worked kind of like a techy charge.

I know. In this case I suppose it would be more accurate to say "I think Liam is the Combat/Tech mix person".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think PeePee will end up being more like the Sentinel and one of the other alien dudes will be the Adept, if we're going by class archetypes at all.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Krogan is a Krogan and then there's whoever else gets to come along cuz it's 'their' mission. Why do you guys even care about the rest of these space-losers?

'Ooh... what class is Lenny Kravitz gonna be? What powers will Hitler-hairdoo lady have?'... loving shameful. You are all in this for the wrong reasons.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
As the series went on Sentinel ended up meaning both "mix of tech and biotic powers" and "tanky guy." There were some multiplayer sentinels in ME3 that didn't have any biotics.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think PeePee will end up being more like the Sentinel and one of the other alien dudes will be the Adept, if we're going by class archetypes at all.

Vetra's listed favored ability is the Sentinel's old standby of Power Armor. She seems to be the shoe in for that role.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

Same. You can go solo in Inquisition, so perhaps they'll let you do it in Andromeda.

I really hope we'll get a good variety of weapons without needing to bother with crafting, though. I've never seen a game with a significant crafting system come up with a good balance between crafted items and items you can find for yourself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Looks like those plasma weapons travel slowly, so I imagine a seeking plasma sniper rifle will result in missing some shots at long range due to cover. Shameful.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I put this stuff in the OP for you, Drifter. You in particular.

I told you, the OP is like a giant-rear end COdex. I don't ~do~ codexes. :colbert:

quote:

I told you, the OP is like a giant-rear end COdex. I don't ~do~ codexes. :colbert:
:colbert:

(I'll read the freakin' OP, dammit) :argh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

quote:

Ian S. Frazier ‏@tibermoon
SMGs aren't out, for the record. We just file both the SMGs and "hand cannon" pistols into the "Pistols" category for simplicity's sake. :)

Javien Dawson ‏@solipsistrealis
so does this mean we can no longer use SMG's and pistols at the same time?

You can have both. Heck, you can equip multiple copies of the exact same gun if you want.

quote:

Joe Marchand ‏@thejoeman2
I noticed we're grabbing the foregrip on those SMGs properly now too. Good work!

Yup, the anim team did some extra magic for SMGs. :)

quote:

Colly ‏@platonicwaffles
Through crafting, can you use resources to upgrade your gun to higher levels? ie level up a Mattock I to a Mattock IV

Yes and no. You don't "upgrade" a gun from III to IV, per se, but you can outright craft a IV. :)

quote:

SlopingDrake657 ‏slopingdrake657
Are weapons and armor only craftable and purchasable or can enemies drop them like in DA:I?

Some are ONLY craftable (for narrative reasons), but most can drop as loot.

So we're kinda back to the Mass Effect 1 style of loot where you can find lots of guns of various tiers. Doesn't really answer the question whether stuff you craft will outstrip stuff you buy, but it seems to me at present like if you are using a Mattock IV, it doesn't matter if you bought or crafted it. There has been no mention of materials affecting functionality or statistics.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

So we're kinda back to the Mass Effect 1 style of loot where you can find lots of guns of various tiers.

Oh man, I REALLY hope the inventory management doesn't suck as much as ME1.

edit: I just read the OP. I KNOW who Vetra is. Stupid two names for an alien. That's dumb. Just say Vetra.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 17, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

^^^ You're good people, Drifter.

A very good concern, because in this screenshot:

We can see that her normal limit is 50. :stare:

If they drop even half as much garbage on you as Inquisition, the inventory limit will be infuriating. And Mass Effect 1 buried you in garbage.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 17, 2017

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Heads up for people who make bad decisions. GreenManGaming has Andromeda preorders up for $45.99 for VIP members. I don't see the game going that low again for a long time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

A very good concern, because in this screenshot:

We can see that her normal limit is 50. :stare:

If they drop even half as much garbage on you as Inquisition, the inventory limit will be infuriating. And Mass Effect 1 buried you in garbage.

And this# friends, is why you buy on PC so you can mod or cheatengine that away.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Watching the video show that you can float enemies and have them follow you around and then launch them at other enemies was pretty cool.

Spaseman posted:

Heads up for people who make bad decisions. GreenManGaming has Andromeda preorders up for $45.99 for VIP members. I don't see the game going that low again for a long time.

I think it'll drop lower.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
After that gameplay video I'm now super pumped to play the game. I already had it prepurchased, but I wasn't any really excited.

Now I can't wait to sit way far away in the back plinking away with 4 sniper rifles equipped.

Been sniping exclusively since ME1, ain't gonna stop now. GONNA QUADSNIPE

:sicknasty:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter is in my bad books right now >:|

Trailer looked cool but what were the three kinds of weapon tech they mentioned? I heard Milky Way, Helius and _____? (the laser-based ones)

Edit: https://www.masseffect.com/news/weapons-and-skills has the answer (they're Remnant weapons)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 17, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Remnant, which I presume means the Collector/Prothean particle beam weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SgtSteel91 posted:

It also looked like a gas canister got roped into the pull too, so maybe there's an upgrade to pull multiple objects, maybe people too.

I want to fight by just vacuuming up everything in sight into a giant biotic katamari.

frajaq posted:

Hmm alright gameplay looks solid, although the teammate AI looked a bit silly just standing there. Some of the enemies too, hopefully that's fixed before launch

Teammates never knew how to use cover in old Mass Effects, so adding it now would break with established canon.