Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well... This was... Interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Well as a simulation of war as a thing that gets badly out of hand this is a rousing success.

Also, poo poo. They have guys on Sanglant Femme. That either means our objectives are badly out of hand or that their plan has somehow gotten pulled out of shape worse than ours, and I'm not feeling like the latter's likely. Should we get me packing up to try and establish a bit of a holding force in the West, maybe hold La Oeuf so that Quatreprouts isn't a dropkick for them?

Also out of curiosity Trin, did my arty/guys get to get firing? Did they hit?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So it looks like my brigade was sipping wine in town whilst everyone else was either getting butchered or butchering the enemy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

So it looks like my brigade was sipping wine in town whilst everyone else was either getting butchered or butchering the enemy.

Well considering how exceptional a job you did with your orders, that's probably a good thing :v: Better they get to go into combat in good order.

Overall it looks pretty good for us in terms of losses in the opening, so that's nice at least. They've got faster roads but that seems to have led them to using them incautiously.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's possible that we lost 4 artillery chits, including both 155s before the battle even started because of a screenshot-related misunderstanding. One (1) of Loel's creenshots didn't include them, every screenshot he made after did, though, and apparently they haven't been deployed to the field because of it.

Loel posted:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Plz tell me my main guns are firing :ohdear:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

WE R GUD AT WAR.

I feel less and less bad for being such a pedant as time goes on (except for specifying east of St. Croissant, I misjudged that timing badly).

Also now I know why you wanted corps command, less of this finicky mess.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

Plz tell me my main guns are firing :ohdear:

Same...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Please come to roll20 to chat a bit. :)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Please come to roll20 to chat a bit. :)

~40 mins till I get home from work, will do then.

(I'm going to laugh if you're telling us to post in the thread by then.)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Stuck at work, stupid gainful employment.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

oh my god they have so much artillery

loving germans!

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 17, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was going to say I must not have been following along that well, because I couldn't figure out where our guns went to. But I guess that's what the Divisional commanders are asking too.

At this point the Germans have or had visibility on almost all of our units, right? They have to be highly concerned about us coming up on Pasteur from behind now. I would have expected them to put more units up there to hold it, or at least fire from it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

We can walk, walk! up that ridge, arms linked and singing la marseilles!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'd prefer if you shot.

...reservists.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Mais la gloire!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

getting that glorious oblique flank entirely on accident

although I am slightly concerned about a missing brigade

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

current staff college status :allbuttons::confuoot::kingsley:

arguing about which brigades are in place on la cote and which have advanced

is that 52e or 53e?

where are the engineers?

where are the artillery?

where is my fainting couch?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin, looking again, did I advance? If so did I not have artillery shots? I'm kind of surprised I wouldn't, all things considering. If I did advance, will I be advancing further (please tell me no).

I'd have thought that with the way this was written I'd stop to shoot it out with my artillery rather than pushing up:

If I start Operation Merde, I will fall back to the brown M by Toilette-Champs (wow this is getting to be pretty on the nose). I will deploy in battle order (the formation noted below with the fourth company on the left wing) pointed north. I will trade artillery fire until the 96th and 98th are established north of my position AND (not or) I am out of targets to engage with my artillery at which I will proceed to the previously noted target position for turn 5, stopping to trade artillery fire en route if relevant.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Well there's going to be a lot of targets for your artillery Loel if you survive the counterbattery. I believe the 98th should be advancing now so that will give you a bit of protection from the WAVES OF GERMAN FORCES BEARING DOWN ON US

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 17, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General Tebeka's Journal posted:

The fog of war is less literal in these days of smokeless powder than it was in the time of Bonaparte, but no less real. At around mid-morning the an entire brigade had been somehow misplaced - thousands of Frenchman, fighting and dying for their mother-land, too busy to send reports. This caused no end of white hairs at my HQ, let me tell you!

(owing to a screenshot error, either the 52e or 53e has disappeared - they are apparently nw of Sacados Ligne in close combat with the germans)

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 18, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It looks like my arty was repositioning itself on turn 6, so I gues it wasn't able to fire turn 7. I am a little alarmed at all the Huns swarming my HQ, have my adjuntant fetch me my sword! And a white hankerchief, just in case.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

sullat posted:

It looks like my arty was re-positioning itself on turn 6, so I guess it wasn't able to fire turn 7. I am a little alarmed at all the Huns swarming my HQ, have my adjutant fetch me my sword! And a white handkerchief, just in case.

Yes, good idea. A white handkerchief is a fine way to clean blood off of a sword.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General de Division Tebeka

quote:

The general is in his newly installed office in Baguende's small inn, yelling into a field telephone over the roar of gunfire coming from uncomfortably close to his north and west. "General Mon Pere, I must insist that you allow me to order the reserves forward from La Cote! The enemy lay themselves before me like a whore in a brothel, I would be a fool and a criminal to not take advantage! I...Yes sir. Yes, they will be ready to advance as soon as that...Thank you, sir!" He triumphantly slams down the receiver and turns to his staff (many of whom are hiding under the oak tables, as if that would protect them from artillery) and poses dramatically. "Tell Generals Packens and Lenoon to prepare...for action!" The staccato sound of machine-gun fire accentuates his words.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 18, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
(just to make it official)

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

6th Division is ordered to deploy its reserves. One brigade is to directly attack German positions and support the ongoing battle, while the other is to flank around Pasteur ridge, causing as much chaos and disruption as possible.

You are to send your engineers to sabotage the roads in the NE, through roadblocks and barbed wire emplacements, at General Tebeka's discretion.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General de Division Tebeka

Orders are as follows:

119e posted:

• From your position at Baguende Village, advance West.
  • Support the regular brigades in their advance on Saint Croissant.
  • Destroy enemy formations using your discretion as to range and tactics.
  • Should your situation become untenable you may regroup at La Cote.
  • (Secondary) Detach the divisional engineer company and deploy it North-East to place roadblocks and/or barbed wire on the Nainville and Bouclecourt roads

120e posted:

• From your position on La Cote, advance North-West to Bouclecourt, staying to the East of Pasteur Ridge
  • Destroy enemy formations in or near Bouclecourt, then move South-West at best speed to support the offensive at Saint Croissant.
  • In as far as possible, make the destruction of enemy heavy artillery a tactical priority.
  • If the Saint Croissant assault is successful, support the advance towards Faibleimpot.
  • Should your situation become untenable you may regroup at La Cote.

6div HQ posted:

Entrench at Baguende Village

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 18, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

Based on the reports from the 6th, we can safely assume a Case Purple scenario.

Therefore, 22nd Division is ordered to get all of its undeployed assets into combat positions as soon as possible and prepare to repulse Boche attacks. Winning any currently ongoing fights takes priority, but if circumstances should allow, you are to establish overwatch on as much of Le Oeuf's slopes as possible without getting too close to the peak itself, and discourage any attempts to flank us from the West. You are highly suggested to try to achieve your newest order with minimal disruption of already existing plans and orders being already executed.

At the discretion of General Bacarrette, you are to use your engineers to entrench your rearmost artillery positions.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If I can get any orders through for the 6th cav, I'm changing to engage with artillery when enemies are in range, and unless already in range do not attempt to close into range any farther than the minimum to put me into artillery range.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Did Clemenceau lose our 155mm cannons? I dont see them :ohdear:

edit: Dunno if it it explicitly needs to be said, but Fire, for the love of God, fire!

edit 2:

It looks like all the strategic thinking happened while I was at work, but for the sake of the viewers ...

52nd Brigade takes the ridge, and then we just pound the cauldron.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 18, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

the strategic salt mines are being heavily taxed

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Loel posted:

Did Clemenceau lose our 155mm cannons? I dont see them :ohdear:

edit: Dunno if it it explicitly needs to be said, but Fire, for the love of God, fire!

You're missing the 15mm howitzers and the two corps 75mm guns attached. You forgot to give them orders in your initial orders and I didn't catch the mistake.

Talk to Trin and get that poo poo sorted out ASAP. If he'll let you, tell him where you want to those guns placed. We need that firepower.

And get your engineers to start digging in your guns.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Trin was spoken to, the howitzers will be returned...soon.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

TRIN PLEASE PLACE MY CANNONS AND GO PEW PEW, ITS IN MY OP ORDER

Im assuming they are unlimbering this turn, but next turn they need to be firing.

(If they already unlimbered, just give them 2 turns of shooting or something :v: )

thatbastardken posted:

Trin was spoken to, the howitzers will be returned...soon.

Oh good. :ohdear:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

some tactical observations:

the german formations seem to be much more clustered - is this an error which will restrict their infantry fire? or are they operating on different rules to us?

while they do have heavier concentrations of MGs and heavy artillery, if this becomes a maneuver battle (which it well might) those guns will rapidly become a liability.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

thatbastardken posted:

some tactical observations:

the german formations seem to be much more clustered - is this an error which will restrict their infantry fire? or are they operating on different rules to us?

while they do have heavier concentrations of MGs and heavy artillery, if this becomes a maneuver battle (which it well might) those guns will rapidly become a liability.

They still seem to be stuck proceeding with their advance orders, and their attacks have been scattered bayonet rushes.

I honestly think we caught them with their pants down.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarruda

Trin - I will leave the exact routes , etc. for runners up to you. I know I only have two runners -- if possible have runners carry two messages (i.e. the same runner carrying messages to the 97th and 99th, and the same runner carrying messages to the 96th and the 6th)

Division HQ: Bacarruda
HOLD POSITION

96th Brigade: Tehan
Primary runner priority. Send them the message. "STOP WHERE YOU ARE. GET INTO BATTLE LINE. PREPARE TO REPULSE GERMAN ATTACK AND FIRE ON SAINT CROISSANT."

97th Brigade(+): Hunt11
Tertiary runner priority. Send them the message. "DEPLOY ARTILLERY IN AVAILABLE SPACE ON CLEMENCEAU RIDGE. FIRE ON THE BOCHE MACHINE GUNS IN SAINT CROISSANT. PUT ALL YOU INFANTRY SOUTH OF THE DEJEUNNER RIDGE ON THE REVERSE SLOPE TO AMBUSH GERMANS COMING OVER THE RIDGE. ENSURE ARTILLERY HAS CONDITIONAL ORDERS TO FIRE WEST IF NEEDED."

98th Brigade: AbortRetryFail
No runners sent.

99th Brigade(+): Loel
Secondary runner priority. I send a runner with the message: "HOLD POSITION. DO NOT ADVANCE. HOLD CLEMENCEAU RIDGE AT ALL COSTS."

6th Cavalry Brigade: xthetenth
Quarternary runner priority. Send message. "SUPPORT 96TH AND 98TH ATTACK. AFTER THREE TURNS -- FALL BACK AND PUT GUNS ON DEJUENNER TO COVER OUR LEFT FLANK."

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 18, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
97th Brigade

Now is time for redemption. We will hurl back any Boche who tries to push any further into French Territory.

Phase 1

Infantry continue to march forward to the area south of La Oeuf. No infantry chit is to go above the first slope of La Oeuf.

Artillery unlimber and move to the edge of Clemencu and begin firing at every Boche in sight. Prioritizing targets according to the normal targeting order near Saint Croissant. Artillery is to move as close to said position on the map as is feasible whilst also allowing them to shoot.

Phase 2

Infantry open reaching position go into Attack Stance and begin shooting at everything within range.

Artillery continue bombardment as though your life depended on it.

For infantry

For artillery

Conditional Orders

Artillery when firing: Fire until there is nothing left in sight then move towards southern slopes of La Oeuf and behind the infantry but only after a minimum of 7 turns have past.
Infantry: Ignore enemies until you have reached position then hold your ground.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break off automatically when: Never

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 18, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Placeholder in case orders go through before I get out of work.

Map for illustrative purposes. Brigade to stay in place.

Lucky 99th

Artillery when firing: Fire at all targets in range
Infantry/MG: Fire at all targets in range
Break off automatically when: Stand to the last man

(Adjust placement as needed so cannons can fire, they take priority)

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 18, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'll be writing up my orders in response to word from Barracuda in the morning. I'm concerned about Dejeuner getting outflanked to the west by enemies going for Quatreprouts, but I share Barracuda's concern about the rest of our flank getting beat up and enemies punching through to Graisse. I'll want some sleep before I try to set up the conditional to deal with enemies going for Quatrerprouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

Map for illustrative purposes. Brigade to stay in place.

Lucky 99th

Artillery when firing: Fire at all targets in range
Infantry/MG: Fire at all targets in range
Break off automatically when: Stand to the last man

75mms in base to base contact with infantry cannot fire over their heads -- they need to have at least 2" of separation to fire over the head of friendlies (or be on a higher elevation)

• Locked thread