Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yup if you only use a tablet for basic media stuff the smart move is probably get a cheap amazon one and install Google play if you need it.

Survive with it for a while and see what options come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Refurb iPad 3 still worth getting (for under $200) in tyool 2017 if all I want is a pdf viewer\internet browser with that sweet display? Have they ruined it with an update yet? (I don't know poo poo about Apple)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would not. It was slow even on iOS7, and it got two more updates after that.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
What about an Air 2? Looks like a 16gb model can be had for not that much more, and storage space isn't a huge concern for me. Unless there is an equivalently priced >7" Android tablet that has a high quality display that I'm not considering...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Air 2 would be great!

Maybe see what you can find a Google Pixel C for.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Went ahead and picked up an Air 2. Figured spending a little more couldn't hurt because I'm unlikely to upgrade any time soon. It's refurb from a highly rated ebay seller with a good return policy so I'm not too worried. Thanks!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

How bad is the Galaxy Tab E Lite? Literally the only thing I will need it for is to run Torque in my car. My old Nexus 7 just can't do it.

Edit: Nvm looks even slower in every aspect.

Are there any ~7" tablets for around $100 thay would be faster? Would also be open to something cellphone sized.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Only thing I can think of would be getting a Kindle Fire or Fire HD 8 and installing the Play Store. I haven't done it, but it's supposedly not too difficult. I don't know what Torque needs to function and if the Fire has it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Only thing I can think of would be getting a Kindle Fire or Fire HD 8 and installing the Play Store. I haven't done it, but it's supposedly not too difficult. I don't know what Torque needs to function and if the Fire has it.

I bought my wife a Fire HD8 and it was a breeze installing the Play Store on it. It went so well that she just bought one for me since my old Kindle was in dire need of replacement. I highly recommend it for a general browsing tablet. I use mine for downloading Netflix/Amazon Instant movies when traveling, and light browsing/gaming.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is there any difference in performance between the kindle fire and the hd? I impulse bought the cheap one but it seems to crawl at times

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Virtue posted:

Is there any difference in performance between the kindle fire and the hd? I impulse bought the cheap one but it seems to crawl at times

Fire 7 has 1GB RAM, Fire HD 8 has 1.5GB RAM

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I actually reset my Nexus 7 and did all the updates last night and it is a lot faster. Something about the older Android version not having TRIM features -- whatever that means? It was slow as balls off a factory reset until it updated Android versions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which 7? 2012 isn't a TRIM issue (people mistakenly thought it was for a few years), it's the type of memory they used. Incurable hardware problem.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

No clue, I got it used off eBay a long time ago. Seems to be slow as balls again, I guess I imagined it or something haha.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Browsing the last few pages, it sounds like the best bet to replace my dying Nexus is to grab an Amazon Fire and hack Google Play onto it. I use my Nexus almost exclusively for the Awful App, and while I used to think I wanted to stay with Android I guess I really mean I want access to the Google Store. Fire8 + Google Play still sound like the way to go for this?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Yes. Sounds like that would be perfect for you.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Posting from my new HD8. I followed the tutorial from Red Skull on YouTube and the Play Store seems to have installed fine. This thing weighs a ton compared to the Nexus but I'm hoping that translates to better build quality, I can't even get my 7 to charge anymore and the screen has been coming up on one side for a year. So far so good!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

My 2013 Nexus 7 is obviously aging, I can't be arsed to fix the broken USB connector (just using a wireless charger now), and I just want to replace it with something bigger and better. Doesn't need to be Android at all, I'm not that deeply tied to the ecosystem.

Seriously considering a Surface 3, non-pro. All of my other hardware is Win 10 anyway, and at about $300 for the 64gb model, it's right around what I had planned to spend on a replacement.

Have I already talked myself into this, or is there something else I should be considering?

(edit) - I also do understand that the Surface 3 is not cutting edge, but still seems to have a good bang/buck ratio.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 27, 2017

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Acid Reflux posted:

Seriously considering a Surface 3, non-pro. All of my other hardware is Win 10 anyway, and at about $300 for the 64gb model, it's right around what I had planned to spend on a replacement.

Have I already talked myself into this, or is there something else I should be considering?

(edit) - I also do understand that the Surface 3 is not cutting edge, but still seems to have a good bang/buck ratio.

The windows 10 store is severely lacking compared to play/ios. There are a few good ~300 android tablets or ipads out there and a lot are planning on being released soon. I'd wait on it unless you are sure that all the apps you want are on the windows store

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
With Apple being rumored to launch new iPads in March, it might be worth waiting and see if the Air 2 goes on sale (although you can def already find decent deals with it).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

2GB ram on a Windows tablet is pretty close to being a complete dealbreaker in my opinion. Expecially considering you can probably get a used Surface Pro 2 with a bit more oomph in a similar price bracket. Not saying that will then be faultless as a tablet device, but it would seem like the more bearable compromise.

I can totally live with Windows in desktop mode on a tablet, but I'll admit it takes a particular kind of person to like it. Don't expect anything from the store, that much is definitely true.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

2GB ram on a Windows tablet is pretty close to being a complete dealbreaker in my opinion.
Huh, the comparison chart I was looking at on Amazon is completely wrong. It said 4GB for the Surface 3, but after looking around some more I see that it most certainly is not. Good call, I think that's far too little memory too.

Lube banjo posted:

The windows 10 store is severely lacking compared to play/ios. There are a few good ~300 android tablets or ipads out there and a lot are planning on being released soon. I'd wait on it unless you are sure that all the apps you want are on the windows store

Duckman2008 posted:

With Apple being rumored to launch new iPads in March, it might be worth waiting and see if the Air 2 goes on sale (although you can def already find decent deals with it).

You know, I had sort of eliminated an iPad from consideration just because I thought they were a lot more expensive than they apparently are. I'll definitely keep an eye/ear out for deals - that Air 2 would definitely be a contender, even at current retail. I guess I'll hold off for a little while anyway and see what's on the horizon for Android too.

This is exactly why I like to bounce purchase ideas off folks on the forums before I start throwing money around. I don't always think of or see all the alternatives. Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Acid Reflux posted:

Huh, the comparison chart I was looking at on Amazon is completely wrong. It said 4GB for the Surface 3, but after looking around some more I see that it most certainly is not. Good call, I think that's far too little memory too.
It's specifically the 64GB model that has 2GB ram. The 128GB model has 4GB, which is a lot more reasonable. But then I'd still recommend looking at a used SP2, where the cpu power is more on par with the current most basic SP4. The latter I have and have no complaints about. My mom has the 128GB/4GB Surface 3 and it's noticably slower.

If you're not too anal about what OS you'll use anyway, an iPad will probably more in line with normal tablet expectations though.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I'm pretty flexible when it comes to the OS. I honestly don't have a real preference as long as poo poo works. The apps I use for anything remotely productive (which isn't much) are all cross-platform anyway, so moving to iOS wouldn't be a burden at all. I'll look into the SP2 as well just for comparison's sake, but barring any kind of revolutionary offering from anyone in the next couple of weeks, I'll probably go with the Air 2.

I appreciate the suggestions, thanks again :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Levono announce the Tab 4 series in two sizes and two spec levels.

The 8" Tab 4 Plus could be my Nexus 7 replacement.

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.

spookygonk posted:

The 8" Tab 4 Plus could be my Nexus 7 replacement.

Was thinking the same thing. If the price for the Tab S3 isn't completely outrageous I could be persuaded, but I really do prefer the 8" size and barring awful reviews, the 4+ seems pretty sweet.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

I want a basic reading tablet I can take on vacation and not worry too much about or be murdered for.

Does the basic kindle ever drop lower than $80?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're actually looking for the ereader thread to talk about the basic Kindle, but yeah, it's been as cheap as $50, and was $60 a couple weeks ago:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/All-New-Kindle-ereader-Glare-Free-Touchscreen/product/B00ZV9PXP2?context=browse

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to say that I finally pulled the trigger on a Surface Pro 4. I love that it gives me a full laptop experience when I need it but a tablet the rest of the time.

However, I do feel like it highlights the fact that if Apple made their own convertible laptop, I'd return my Surface in a heartbeat. I'm already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem but I need something I could 1) work from home with (need macOS or just something to run Parallels in) and 2) be a tablet when I don't need to do work.

I love my old iPad but I can't work from home with it. I don't really like the laptop-form factor either. I know I'm a weird usage case but I'd be all over an iPad Pro X that runs macOS.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What about the iPad Pro? :haw:

(lol)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iPad Pro is great, but doesn't do what he wants.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wow yeah, I could agree there. Just sell my nexus 7 (it's still really minty and it's the 32gb model) for around $100, and pick up this.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Just wanted to say that I finally pulled the trigger on a Surface Pro 4. I love that it gives me a full laptop experience when I need it but a tablet the rest of the time.

However, I do feel like it highlights the fact that if Apple made their own convertible laptop, I'd return my Surface in a heartbeat. I'm already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem but I need something I could 1) work from home with (need macOS or just something to run Parallels in) and 2) be a tablet when I don't need to do work.

I love my old iPad but I can't work from home with it. I don't really like the laptop-form factor either. I know I'm a weird usage case but I'd be all over an iPad Pro X that runs macOS.

Agreed SP4 is the way forward from here, I'll never buy another android tablet.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ineffiable posted:

Wow yeah, I could agree there. Just sell my nexus 7 (it's still really minty and it's the 32gb model) for around $100, and pick up this.

Sadly, both of mine were dropped just once too much and the shattered screens are now unresponsive. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

u fink u hard Percy posted:

Agreed SP4 is the way forward from here, I'll never buy another android tablet.

It's good that you like it, but it's not really reasonable to compare an $800+ item to one that tops out around $500 for top of the line.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Endless Mike posted:

It's good that you like it, but it's not really reasonable to compare an $800+ item to one that tops out around $500 for top of the line.
When factoring in cost, you also have to factor in the fact that the various Windows Surfaces run a full build of Windows 10. It's basically a laptop in a smaller form factor with all the caveats that come with that.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Kubrick posted:

I want a basic reading tablet I can take on vacation and not worry too much about or be murdered for.

Does the basic kindle ever drop lower than $80?

Look for used older ones too. I picked up one from a generation or two ago for $20. Their basic e-reader is nigh indestructible and their generational changes are meaningless given their function.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
I need to find an mp3 player with a built in FM tuner to use in my classroom as the cd's we use get scratched really fast and unusable within a few months. I need something that I can just leave plugged in and hooked up to a set of external speakers and most of the stand alone mp3 players (sansa etc) have tiny screens for navigating the music library which is why I thought a tablet might work better as the classroom can use it for video as well.

Are there any inexpensive tablets out there with a built in FM tuner? If anyone has a suggestion on something else that might work I am all ears.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Phones usually have FM capability, try a cheap 5-6" KitKat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

king of the bongo posted:

I need to find an mp3 player with a built in FM tuner to use in my classroom as the cd's we use get scratched really fast and unusable within a few months. I need something that I can just leave plugged in and hooked up to a set of external speakers and most of the stand alone mp3 players (sansa etc) have tiny screens for navigating the music library which is why I thought a tablet might work better as the classroom can use it for video as well.

Are there any inexpensive tablets out there with a built in FM tuner? If anyone has a suggestion on something else that might work I am all ears.

Couldn't you just use the YouTube app or the Pandora app over wifi? I don't think there's an album/song I haven't been able to find on YouTube. The TuneinRadio and iHeartRadio apps have a lot of local FM stations.

Fire 7 and Fire HD 8 are cheap enough and you can put the Google Play store on them with a small amount of effort