Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dumb and kinda scared posted:

About 80-ish %. Frankly I'm not too sure what 'FSD malfunction' means exactly because you can still make the overcharged jump after the message.

In my experience, it means 15 seconds of panic, and then 2 minutes of half-emptying all your AFMUs. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

About 80-ish %. Frankly I'm not too sure what 'FSD malfunction' means exactly because you can still make the overcharged jump after the message.

For me it was just retrying it until it worked.
The first time it happened I freaked out a bit and was worried I'd be stuck or die. Then when I realized it wasn't really a big deal I just shrugged it off.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

When my FSD fell under 95% one time, I suddenly got a rather serious FSD-malfunction. And no, I didn't jump. (It was just a normal jump, though. Can be if I had overcharged my FSD, the jump could have gone through still.)

Instead of jumping, my ship was thrown around a bit and I fell out of supercruise. Since then I've made it a rule to repair my FSD as soon as it falls below 97%. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

When my FSD fell under 95% one time, I suddenly got a rather serious FSD-malfunction. And no, I didn't jump. (It was just a normal jump, though. Can be if I had overcharged my FSD, the jump could have gone through still.)

Instead of jumping, my ship was thrown around a bit and I fell out of supercruise. Since then I've made it a rule to repair my FSD as soon as it falls below 97%. :v:

That's about when it happened for me too, which is why my neutron-boosting paranoia is pretty high right now. Just the sheer amount of error messages from stuff breaking as you sit in the cone in normal space is enough to throw anyone off their stride, even if in practice, it will take quite a while for the ship to actually explode…

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

That's about when it happened for me too, which is why my neutron-boosting paranoia is pretty high right now. Just the sheer amount of error messages from stuff breaking as you sit in the cone in normal space is enough to throw anyone off their stride, even if in practice, it will take quite a while for the ship to actually explode…

Still, it makes travelling a lot more fun. Yesterday I suddenly realized I could combine my wish to travel faster and my wish to scan more stuff by switching to the Neutron Star Road and scanning the neutron star systems I come through. This way, I travel like 200% faster and scan lots of interesting stellar objects!

The best part is: I still get plenty of normal systems to explore. Sometimes the next neutron star is either not in range, or sits not really on my general route. So in those cases I super-jump at the next best target and route to the next neutron star normally.

In numbers, about 80% of my AFM-fuel will be used by the necessary AFM-repairs if I keep this up for the entire journey. Looks like I can soon test my first AFM-refuel synthesis. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

Still, it makes travelling a lot more fun. Yesterday I suddenly realized I could combine my wish to travel faster and my wish to scan more stuff by switching to the Neutron Star Road and scanning the neutron star systems I come through. This way, I travel like 200% faster and scan lots of interesting stellar objects!

The best part is: I still get plenty of normal systems to explore. Sometimes the next neutron star is either not in range, or sits not really on my general route. So in those cases I super-jump at the next best target and route to the next neutron star normally.

In numbers, about 80% of my AFM-fuel will be used by the necessary AFM-repairs if I keep this up for the entire journey. Looks like I can soon test my first AFM-refuel synthesis. :v:

Yes, I think I got my priorities slightly skewed while doing something similar for a while. I found this really neat neutron cluster, and my magpie instinct kicked in and told me to SCAN ALL THE SYSTEMS! Never mind that they're among the most consistent and boring systems I've come across and that due to the density of the cluster, I'll just do normal (or shorter!) jumps between each of them, and it'll take me an extra week to get to where I'm going rather than let me get there faster.

But think of all those thousands of credits! :suicide:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The gunner's 360 camera should be treated as a drone or limpet which can be targeted destroyed or disabled, Also they would need to refill and draw power from the generator.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The gunner's 360 camera should be treated as a drone or limpet which can be targeted destroyed or disabled, Also they would need to refill and draw power from the generator.

Nah. :nallears:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Gunner = Arcade Action Cam for the 12 yr olds?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's some more lore updates about the Meta Drive research. Looks like it could be a way to interdict FSD-jumps is coming, or an autopilot, or both. Of course this newest news item could just be the juiciest red herring ever to leave the North Sea for all we know. I guess we'll have to wait until the "secret" of 2.4 to see that subplot resolved.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If it's going to happen, I would expect an autopilot around the time SpaceLegs go in so players can walk around their ship on longer trips.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Real talk: I'm excited to let newbies fly my fighters or man my turrets and help them get some cash money. Getting rid of the bounty split was long overdue.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Real talk: I'm excited to let newbies fly my fighters or man my turrets and help them get some cash money. Getting rid of the bounty split was long overdue.

:same:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Long overdue for 12 year olds! :argh:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Yes, it should be chaffable too or something

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Question about the community goal right now to turn in bounties in a specific system. Can I kill npcs for the bounties in a RES in any system and then fly to the CG system to turn them in? Or do the bounties have to be collected in that specific system?

For contributions, is it counting the number of bounties or the actual bounty value?

This seems like an easy one and I've never done a CG before. A single 30 minute passenger mission can make me 11mil sometimes, do CH's end up paying out well if you are just casually contributing?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chrysophylax posted:

Yes, it should be chaffable too or something

Bonus points if chaffing causes the turret-manner's entire view to reel and flail about causing uncontrollable vomiting in VR users.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

CGs end up paying well, IMO

Contributions are counting the value of the bounties, I'm sure.

Also, there are plenty of RES sites nearby, and I think they're only counting which bounties are being accepted at that station. Other than superpower bounties, good luck getting any other systems' faction's bounties accepted there.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oh cool. And do you have to be in open play to use the CG?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh cool. And do you have to be in open play to use the CG?

No and for the bounty hunting one I wouldn't recommend it.

In general I highly recommend doing CG's they're good money for things that you're usually doing anyways.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

A drone would be a bit of a daft way of doing it, considering even in current times we have the capacity to do things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj4cP4PMPPM

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mu77ley posted:

A drone would be a bit of a daft way of doing it, considering even in current times we have the capacity to do things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj4cP4PMPPM

But my immers:fuckoff:

Seriously though that is awesome and why do we not have this in our game yet Braben :argh:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm excited to jump in other people's ships just so I can take a bunch of sweet screenshots while they do stuff. I will be the most useless crew member.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So if the gunner can control your SCBs, how many ships are we going to see melted by suicide crew on day one before most newbies figure out how to lock them out?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I plan on recommending that they change that when the beta/feedback forums goes up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sard posted:

So if the gunner can control your SCBs, how many ships are we going to see melted by suicide crew on day one before most newbies figure out how to lock them out?

Hell you can probably melt a ship just by firing beam lasers alone.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
As long as it really takes to severely mess up a ship via overheating, I doubt it's that big of a deal. Yeah ok maybe you'll have an edge case where the thrusters or FSD were already damaged and whoops Ensign Chucklefuck spiked your heat to 200% and caused a malfunction at a critical moment. But maybe consider having fun with that instead of being a giant weeny.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you really want to blow up someone's ship just open fire inside the station when they're almost docked.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Just take the several million rebuy. Don't be a goober.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I once fired 6 scb simultaneously. It took 2 heat sinks to get things back to normal but it didn't break my ship.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

timn posted:

As long as it really takes to severely mess up a ship via overheating, I doubt it's that big of a deal. Yeah ok maybe you'll have an edge case where the thrusters or FSD were already damaged and whoops Ensign Chucklefuck spiked your heat to 200% and caused a malfunction at a critical moment. But maybe consider having fun with that instead of being a giant weeny.

it isn't so much the overheating as the fact that i'd prefer to have control over my scb's :shrug:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

it isn't so much the overheating as the fact that i'd prefer to have control over my scb's :shrug:

Then keep control of them. If they're assigned to one of your fire groups, nobody else can use them.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What's the cool kid weapon loadout for FAS these days? I don't think I have enough money to make my python fighty yet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

What's the cool kid weapon loadout for FAS these days? I don't think I have enough money to make my python fighty yet.

Large beam up top for shield stripping and plasma accelerators in the other 3 slots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

Beam lasers in every slot, same as every other ship.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Hold out for multicannons that fire smaller multicannons I say.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

vorebane posted:

Hold out for multicannons that fire smaller multicannons I say.

So an automatic fighter bay?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm waiting for is a fighter bay that auto launches fighters, that auto launch missiles, that auto mirv into smaller missiles, that each deliver a sternly worded letter in a bottle.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

DancingShade posted:

What I'm waiting for is a fighter bay that auto launches fighters, that auto launch missiles, that auto mirv into smaller missiles, that each deliver a sternly worded letter in a bottle.

I holding out for a paintball cannon. That way I can take down someone's shields and then pelt their canopy with paintballs and blind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

DancingShade posted:

As long as each letter has a multicannon, I'm on board with that.

• Locked thread