Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Literally = figuratively because language is fluid and ever-changing.

I can't think of another time a word has become its own antonym before, which is kind of neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Literally is used more often to mean "extremely", or "really".

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ravenfood posted:

I can't think of another time a word has become its own antonym before, which is kind of neat.

cleave
dust
oversight
awful
left
sanguine

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

joat mon posted:

cleave
dust
oversight
awful
left
sanguine

Whoah you're gonna need to give some detail on these.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

joat mon posted:

cleave
dust
oversight
awful
left
sanguine
While still retaining their original meaning, I suppose. Though I'd like some more detail on some of these. I know "cleave together" but would love to hear more.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Whoah you're gonna need to give some detail on these.

cleave - Originally two different verbs that had different conjugation patterns that helped keep them separate. One meant to join, the other meant to separate.
dust - I dusted (removed stuff from) the nicknacks. I dusted (added stuff to) the counter with flour before I rolled out the pie crust.
oversight - The oversight (missing something) occurred because I wasn't exercising enoughgh oversight (watching something closely)
awful - Originally meant "full of awe" and used to describe wonderful (full of wonder) things like God, or an overwhelming amount, like an awful responsibility. Also, awful as in terrible.
left - Once he left (departed), I was all that was left (remaining)
sanguine - bloodythirsty. Also, cheerful, hopeful. This self antonym has its origins in the theory of bodily humors.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Scan

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

joat mon posted:

cleave - Originally two different verbs that had different conjugation patterns that helped keep them separate. One meant to join, the other meant to separate.
dust - I dusted (removed stuff from) the nicknacks. I dusted (added stuff to) the counter with flour before I rolled out the pie crust.
oversight - The oversight (missing something) occurred because I wasn't exercising enoughgh oversight (watching something closely)
awful - Originally meant "full of awe" and used to describe wonderful (full of wonder) things like God, or an overwhelming amount, like an awful responsibility. Also, awful as in terrible.
sanguine - bloodythirsty. Also, cheerful, hopeful. This self antonym has its origins in the theory of bodily humors.

Very interesting, especially the dusting one.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

joat mon posted:

As seen in the apocryphal story of a king describing St. Paul's Cathedral as "awful, pompous, and artificial" - that is, full of awe, pomp, and artifice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

joat mon posted:

Kinda funny how both meanings of Awful can be used to describe this site

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Table (the transitive verb) means two different things

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Congratulations to Gríma son of Gálmód, now officially Chief Counsellor. Very clever man. He will be a star!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Celeborn. Lothlorien values. NOT our values.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Shibawanko posted:

Celeborn. Lothlorien values. NOT our values.

Celeborn has no energy, and he's always wrong. Even Galadriel says he's wrong. Embarrasing. Very bad.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Gondor has spent too long paying for the defense of Pelargir, Lebennin, Dol Amroth. Allies need to pull their weight!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
A more extensive list of contronyms:

sanction means "to allow" and "to prohibit (or punish)"

cleave means "to join" (as in "cleave unto") and "to separate or divide"

clip means "to attach" and "to separate" (sure looks like clip is a cognate of cleave, doesn't it?)

inoculate means "to protect against" and "to infect with"

cull means "to select" and "to reject"

alight means "to settle onto" and "to dismount from"

went off means "to start" and "to stop" (the alarm ~ when the light ~)

off means "inside of" and "outside of" (we compress the data ~ the camera)

fix means "a solution" and "a problem" (also fixed)

cool means "supportive of" and "opposed to" (he was "cool with" the idea; he was "cool to" the idea); sort of a slang usage

public means both "public (free)" (in American English) and "private (fee-based)" (in British English)

ravel means "to entangle" and "to disentangle" (as does unravel!)
[contributed by Tamara Munzner]

screen means "to display" (~ a movie) and "to hide" (~ his view)
[contributed by Krishnan Sriram]

protest means "to object" and "to affirm" (also, protestations)
[contributed by Ron Slavecki]

cork means "to take out" and "to insert" a cork from a bottle
[contributed by David Miller]

oversight means a kind of error, and a kind of prevention from error
[contributed by Matt Ross]

trim means "to remove from" (~ the tree) and "to add to" (~ the Christmas tree)
[contributed by Dick Stadler]

enjoin means "to direct" and "to forbid"
[contributed by Jonathan King]

dust means "to remove from" (~ the table) and "to add to" (~ the cake)
[contributed by Susan Ramage]

clip means "to partition" (~ the paper) and "to join" (~ the papers)
[contributed by Sidney Pestka]

secrete means "to give off" and "to conceal"
[contributed by Matt Antone]

rent means "to grant possession in exchange for rent" and "to take and hold under an agreement to pay rent"
[contributed by Matt Antone]

can means "to save" (~ the peaches) and "to discard" (~ the worker)
[contributed by Sylvia Briggs]

belie means "To picture falsely; misrepresent: 'He spoke roughly in order to belie his air of gentility' (James Joyce)." and "To show to be false: 'Their laughter belied their outward grief.'"
[From dictionary.com; contributed 12/05 by Nick Serafin]

stem means "To start or originate" and "To stop or restrain"
Contributed 12/07 by Michael Solomon]

peruse means "To read in an attentive manner" and "To read in a leisurely manner"
Contributed 8/2011 by Wayne Yang]

draw means "To bring together" and "To pull apart" as in "Please draw the curtains"
Contributed 9/2012 by Rae Langton]

Kate Curtis-Mclane contributed a whole pile of self-antonyms:
settle means "to move" (the pile ~d) and "to stop moving" (we ~d in)

flesh means "to add substance (~ out)" to and "to clean a hide of flesh"

seed means "to put seeds in" and "to take seeds out"

garnish means "to add something to" or "to take away from (a form of ~ee)"

root means "to get something to take root" or "to pull up (root out)"

joint means "to combine or attach with a joint" and "to separate (esp. meat) at a joint"

snap means "to break into pieces" and "to fasten together"

tube means "to insert a tube in" and "to enclose in a tube"

reel means "to wind onto" and "to let out from"

lease means "to pay for use" and "to be paid for use"

water means "to pour water out" and "to take on water"

wear means "to last under use" and "to erode under use"

weather means "to disintegrate or wear" and "to come through safely, survive"

crop means "to plant or grow" and "to cut or harvest"

https://people.csail.mit.edu/teller...lfantonyms.html

English is weird

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Trin Tragula posted:

Gondor has spent too long paying for the defense of Pelargir, Lebennin, Dol Amroth. Allies need to pull their weight!

This is literally Boromir, isn't it?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Shouldn't it be Rohan, Lorien, Dale, rather than constituent parts of Gondor? :cheeky:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Sauron's running his country and at least he's a leader, unlike what we have here in Gondor. We Numenoreans have done a lot of killing also, Gandalf, so you know.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Well done to my team for producing such a moving tribute to the human victims of the fall of Nargothrond. We remember them proudly!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Galadriel would have been worse.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Data Graham posted:

Galadriel would have been worse.

She used a private mirror.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Gandalf would have won.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When Dunland sends its people, they're not sending their best.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

We have to erect a fantastic barrier at our borders, the most amazing girdle you've ever seen.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

ar-pharzon the orange

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The concept of 'Morgoth' was created by and for the dwarves of Nogrod to make elven manufactoring un-competitive.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Annual Prophet posted:

ar-pharzon the orange

Make Numenor Great Again

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

u brexit ukip it posted:

Make Numenor Great Again

um Numenor is ALREADY great...!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elendili! Get him!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SHISHKABOB posted:

um Numenor is ALREADY great...!

It'll be greater under President Trump and secretary of state Annatar

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I'm the LEAST anti-Dwarvish person that you've ever seen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Talking thrushes are fake news.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Around dunedain, never refrain.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

VanSandman posted:

Around dunedain, never refrain.

Listen to that terrible American accent.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:sad:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The word "nice" didn't do a complete 180 in its history, but came pretty close:

etymonline posted:

late 13c., "foolish, stupid, senseless," from Old French nice (12c.) "careless, clumsy; weak; poor, needy; simple, stupid, silly, foolish," from Latin nescius "ignorant, unaware," literally "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (see un- (1)) + stem of scire "to know" (see science). "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] -- from "timid" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c. 1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830).
In many examples from the 16th and 17th centuries it is difficult to say in what particular sense the writer intended it to be taken. [OED]

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
"Niceties" are often given a negative connotation! Cool.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Why even have the Rings if you're not going to use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

She used a private mirror.

This is so far my favorite one including mine.