Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Were these extensions even functionally different at all? I'm sure I remember simply renaming .smc to .sfc and having it work just fine back in the bsnes days. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Yeah, but the problem was you're now in this situation where most hardware and software expect the long established extensions and bsnes expects only .sfc, where it could easily accept any extension people wanted to use. it just seemed amazingly petty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

.smc comes from Super Magicom :eng101:

Well, that's what I get for taking a wildly magical stab at guessing!

d0s posted:

Yeah, but the problem was you're now in this situation where most hardware and software expect the long established extensions and bsnes expects only .sfc, where it could easily accept any extension people wanted to use. it just seemed amazingly petty

Yeah, very petty. Like, somehow even worse than if he had decided that only clean ROMs would load and run; at least then he could argue from a vantage point of emulation elitism for ultimate accuracy or whatever. But file extensions, which are both everything and nothing for OSes like Windows? Pfft, that's a mouse picking a fight with an elephant over its entire food bowl; totally trying to punch above its weight and more annoying than cute or charming.

It's funny to imagine what byuu would have been like back in the 1990s, when DOS-based emulation was still common and the 8.3 filename and extension character limit was a real thing. "People! Please rename your ROMs with a .SFC extension e.g. like FF3JP.SFC instead of FF3JP.SWC! This is more accurate! Oh, and I managed to get this emulator to 0.2 FPS on a P-II 333!"

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

FYI my kitten keeps trying to attack your spinning user icon and it's freakin' adorable.

e : also instead of it seeming petty it seems kind of dumb to keep multiple file extensions in circulation just because "it's been there for a long time" - there's no real reason/benefit to not force a single extension really, unlike with audio/video/images.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 16, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

FYI my kitten keeps trying to attack your spinning user icon and it's freakin' adorable.

e : also instead of it seeming petty it seems kind of dumb to keep multiple file extensions in circulation just because "it's been there for a long time" - there's no real reason/benefit to not force a single extension really, unlike with audio/video/images.

It's not that people were still using those extensions out of some need to keep it real, it's what a ton of stuff expected. Imagine if some really great new mp3 player came out that required all mp3s to have a different extension. Sure the new player is great but now you can't use those files with a ton of legacy hardware and software, unless you kept renaming them or kept two sets. The extension he forced was not one of the commonly used ones but an entirely different one.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

But extensions don't really have any bearing on the actual data in a ROM image, so it's kind of an inane thing on byuu's part to focus on them. Especially when there are valid historical reasons for the different extensions (as 8-bit Miniboss mentioned), and also because mandating one extension "just because" doesn't really do anything to make a dirty ROM dump full of copier headers, cracktros, and six references to "The poo poo Ferr3t's BBS 24/7 3 Lines 14.4K" into a pristine dump.

As I mentioned, I could understand if byuu was like "Clean ROMs only, and they should use the .sfc extension", since that ties in to his goal of accuracy (ideally, you'd be emulating both the hardware and cartridge in as close to physical spec as possible, and bad dumps might throw things off). But if higan plays any old SNES/SFC ROM so long as it has his nitpicky file extension, it's just him being a neurotic pedant in my book.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think byuu's obsessiveness has paid off in a lot of ways and has improved the emulation and retro game scene overall, it's just that in some cases it seems really bizarre

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just be thankful his weird hangups pertain to his work and don't extend to women or people who slighted him on twitter or whatever other bullshit seems to plague this hobby.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ooh it's topical, too

quote:

REMEMBER TRUE SCENERS DON'T CARE ABOUT CRC'S AND UNTOUCHED DUMPS, THOSE THAT DO CAN gently caress OFF AND DIE!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Intros, modified title screens, trainers etc are an important part of the scene's history. No intro and clean dumps are important, yes, but it lacks all the personality. I've seen an nfo listing a point system for dumps where cracktos and trainers were more desirable than a straight backup.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wonder if he's gonna dump every single language version from all over Europe. They often couldn't fit multiple languages on one cart. Mostly for RPGs which probably makes the problem its own solution as hardly any ever came out here :(

This isn't all that involved, actually, since it didn't happen all that often; like you said, hardly anything came out there, and in most cases games weren't that text-heavy and they'd roll all languages into one cart. If you want to preserve all the label and box/manual variants you're going to have more work ahead of you, especially since funky distribution resulted in tons of that for different territories. Hell, I'd be legit-interested in this for Canadian releases, lots of fun stuff going on there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love how Headhunter spends about 90% of the game ripping off Metal Gear Solid's gameplay and then turns into Resident Evil, Tyrant, weird puzzle door locks and all, for the final stretch.

Also it takes some real loving stones to end a game on triggering a worldwide pandemic of organ-liquifying Ebola :suspense:

Is Headhunter: Redemption any good/decent/tolerably playable?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also it takes some real loving stones to end a game on triggering a worldwide pandemic of organ-liquifying Ebola :suspense:

Released about a decade too late for the first panic and a decade too early for the second.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's such a shame Headhunter has this stretch of godawful gameplay in the middle of it, because the rest of the game is pretty okay for the time it was made and the story is really good 90's action schlock. Angela even gets some pretty good smug one-liners to rival Jack's.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just be thankful his weird hangups pertain to his work and don't extend to women or people who slighted him on twitter or whatever other bullshit seems to plague this hobby.

"Note that this emulator runs all ROM formats except those used by MIAMI MIKE. I remember what you did to me at DragonCon."

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

My backlog for 2017, apropos of nothing. I don't expect to fully beat everything on here. For games that aren't RPG-length (or don't have password system) like platformers and sports games, I'm giving a span of 4-8 hours to play and then moving on. I figure that roughly equates to the experience of renting it. Arcade-y stuff like Outrun might get even less time. Some are games I'm revisiting, some I'm playing for the first time.

NES

Addams Family
Battle of Olympus
Evert and Lindl Tennis
Cybernoid
Hydlide
Lolo 2
Lolo 3
Donkey Kong 3
Daydreamin Davey
GI Joe: The Atlantis Factor
Magician
Pinball Quest
Pirates
Pool of Radiance
Star Force
Star Soldier

Wall Street Kid
Wario's Woods
Wurm
Batman Returns
Clash at Demonhead
Kid Icarus
Duck Tales
Guardian Legend
Mutant Virus
Wild Gunman

Addams family is not good but has this weird allure to it and I can't tear myself away. The programmers were assholes who like to place traps right on top of you when you enter a new area. I came away from Donkey King 3 pretty underwhelmed. it's more like Galaga or [insert shoot things at top of screen game here] than it is a Donkey Kong game, and I'm not excited at the prospect of shooting pesticides up a monkey's bum. I suck at Tennis in all its video game forms and just had Evert and Lindl on there because it was on the shelf and I realized I'd never played it. Only spent about 10 minutes on it. I really want to like GI Joe AF because it was developed by KID but, eh, it's just okay so far.

SNES

Outlander
Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday.
NFL QB Club '96
Battle Blaze
Arcana
Brainlord
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II
Smartball
Tiny Toons Wacky Sports
Jungle Strike
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

Not likely to make a lot of progress on this as I'm stuck on Lufia 1 and wow, it is much more grindy than I remember. I got Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday in a random lot and was actually surprised at how good it was. It's not going to rival Super Mario World or anything, it's just worlds above the usual Loony Toons garbage that got published at the time. Lot of RPGs on this list. It'll be a miracle if I make time for them all.

Sega Master System
Wimbledon
Quartet
Shinobi
Outrun

Mostly arcade stuff. The SMS isn't going to get a ton of attention in 2017 I think.

Sega Genesis

Ballz 3D
Desert Demolition

Technoclash
Zero Tolerance
World of Illusion
Mystic Defender
Power Rangers
Tiny Toons
Toejam & Earl

Desert Demolition isn't bad as Road Runner but the Coyote levels kinda suck. I did beat it in 25 minutes (as Road Runner) so :shrug:, I guess it's done. Technoclash has this awesome, bad straight-to-video 80s sci-fi vibe to it and I want to revisit it soon.

PS1 and PS2

Chrono Cross
Die Hard Trilogy
Puzzle Star Sweep
Spider

Metal Gear Solid 2
Siren
Neo Geo Battle Colosseum

Not much to say here. Spider was a pretty typical early PS1 platformer which means they were just figuring out how it all worked and the result is a half-decent game that isn't bad but doesn't impress nowadays. I think I might've liked it better if I'd played it in the 90s.

I still have yet to play any MGS game past the first one. Unless you count VR Missions. I'm not sure why you would.

Others

Sonic CD
Lost Vikings 2 (Saturn)
Coaster Works (Dreamcast)

Barely tried it when I first got it.
Ditto.
Hey, this was fun. I should just bang out the rest of it some time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

My backlog for 2017, apropos of nothing.

I'm currently having a big data firm collate my gaming backlog.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Who sells the coolest RGB to BNC cables?

Ugh Hydlide? Ballz 3D? Have fun Quiet Feet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kid Fenris posted:

"Note that this emulator runs all ROM formats except those used by MIAMI MIKE. I remember what you did to me at DragonCon."
This will never NOT make me think of "I think you took my wallet, it looks like a NES"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Heran Bago posted:

Hydlide is at least sorta ok if you come in not expecting a Zelda game and are instead aware that it's a Ys precursor.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Hydlide is one of those series where the sequels tend to be infinitely better yet still pretty bad*. Play Hydlide 3 if anything imo

*Except Virtual Hydlide, that game is garbage trash tier even though I love it.

Heran Bago posted:

I like these guys https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ I've got a bunch of their cables and have had 0 issues. Searching for BNC should pull up their RGB -> BNC cables.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I should probably grab Hydlide 3 for my MSX since that version regularly goes for basically nothing, even on eBay.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone tried to put together their own OSSC rather than waiting for the preassembled? I'm thinking of picking up the PCB and putting it together over the next few months in my spare time. Just curious whether anyone's actually tried this in here and would have any words of wisdom other than "-- no don't!"

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

SNES
Outlander

The driving segments of the Genesis one are superior IMHO. It is so close to being a great game and just kinda fails for being very samey the whole way through. I play until the midway point basically yearly before giving up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The driving segments of the Genesis one are superior IMHO. It is so close to being a great game and just kinda fails for being very samey the whole way through. I play until the midway point basically yearly before giving up.

On a similar note:

Quiet Feet posted:

SNES
Jungle Strike

Play the genesis one if you can, the music is so much better.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I went into Hydlide knowing little and expecting Ys. Still disappointed.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I like these guys https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ I've got a bunch of their cables and have had 0 issues. Searching for BNC should pull up their RGB -> BNC cables.
Thanks! Great site, I'm sure that I've bought from them in the past.

They have an RGB to BNC that I want, but it's for EUR RGB. My consoles are North American and some Japanese. The pinout for those are the same, so would I also need a Japanese JP21 to European RGB SCART converter? Retro gaming cables seems to only have the opposite of that, which I guess would work with a male-male and a female-female adapter added to the mix. But 4 cables when only one should do the job sounds iffy.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Heran Bago posted:

I went into Hydlide knowing little and expecting Ys. Still disappointed.

Thanks! Great site, I'm sure that I've bought from them in the past.

They have an RGB to BNC that I want, but it's for EUR RGB. My consoles are North American and some Japanese. The pinout for those are the same, so would I also need a Japanese JP21 to European RGB SCART converter? Retro gaming cables seems to only have the opposite of that, which I guess would work with a male-male and a female-female adapter added to the mix. But 4 cables when only one should do the job sounds iffy.

Are you sure your cables are JP21? Either way, Retro Gaming Cables stock rotates and they do supply both SCART and JP21 versions of most/all their cables, though they don't really announce when stuff goes in and out. They might respond via email on whether they'll have JP21 headers for their BNC cables ever.

You also might need separate cables depending on if your consoles combine or separate sync, but that's highly situational and I don't recall which consoles do which.

edit: Can't tell if you know, but it's also worth noting that SCART and JP21 output the same data, just in different wirings/pinouts, so it's entirely possible for a NA or JP console RGB cable to output EuroSCART. My RGB consoles are PC Engine, Saturn, and MSX and I have EuroSCART cables for all of them.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

SCART/JP21 are two different standards for the actual RGB out block, not based on your console's region. You probably have SCART cables unless you bought something that was advertised as being specifically for an XRGB.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If you want to get real hacky, you can even open your cables and separate the lines out into BNC headers and skip the wiring converter entirely :v:

Btw Elliot, if you live in the US and are okay with a cart only copy of Hydlide 3, I have an extra and can send it to you gratis.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heran Bago posted:

Monitor Burn is apparently getting into the biz for this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700837

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Heran Bago posted:

:v: Hey, at least I didn't say Virtu-

Charles Get-Out posted:

*Except Virtual Hydlide, that game is garbage trash tier even though I love it.

Yeah, that.

RZA Encryption posted:

On a similar note:

Play the genesis one if you can, the music is so much better.

Only Desert and Urban, sadly. I'm holding out for a new/sealed copy of Genny Jungle Strike because I still sometimes spot them for $15-ish on Ebay or Amazon. They must've overprinted all the Strike games like crazy because it's not remotely hard to find sealed copies for less than what they went for new. For the Genesis at least.

I should probably give Nuclear Strike a go at some point too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh thanks that's good to know. I've been SCARTing the whole time then. Should I be worried about combined or separate sync for Genesis and SNES?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heran Bago posted:

Oh thanks that's good to know. I've been SCARTing the whole time then. Should I be worried about combined or separate sync for Genesis and SNES?

You want combined / composite sync for the Genesis and SNES. This just means that the horizontal and vertical sync signals are combined into one signal. The sync signal is always separate and works in conjunction with the RGB signals; it isn't part of them.

Separate sync (unless I'm misunderstanding) I take to mean as individual horizontal and vertical syncs, also in conjunction with the RGB signals (so RGBHV). Two prominent examples are the VGA video standard for PCs and how the old Atari ST computers do RGB video. As you might realize, this kind of sync isn't really found in the console hardware space.

It might not hurt to read the link below:

http://retrorgb.com/sync.html

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I feel like the following things need to be noted, somewhere, about Wild Guns: Reloaded. It is basically the definitive version of the game, except:

• the continue screen is not as rad
  • no vs. mode [unless it's unlockable, I haven't gotten far]

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Now the only game I'm really looking for is Ninja Commando.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Kinda surprised just how little there is to unlock in Dead or Alive 2, character-wise. I was hoping my favourite drunken boxer would be in it (Brad), but no dice :sigh:.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is a Sega Activator worth anything to collectors at all at this point?

It certainly can't be worth the amount of guilt I've felt over the years for begging my parents to buy me the fucker for Christmas

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 17, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RichterIX posted:

Is a Sega Activator worth anything to collectors at all at this point?

It certainly can't be worth the amount of guilt I've felt over the years for begging my parents to buy me the fucker for Christmas

$10 to $50 depending on if it works (well we all know it doesn't really work) and if there's a box how good condition the box is in.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I started up Romancia / Dragon Slayer Jr. recently. It's cryptic in a kind of an enjoyable way. It also has one of the best town musics ever. I would be interested in more retro games that you can beat in half an hour and/or have great town musics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGSEVVQumuE
:dance:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Romancia, like all the early Dragon Slayer games, is less cryptic and more cruel and psychopathic if you're playing blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does the Pi 3B with RetroPie handle gamecube emulation very well? Wondering specifically about Paper Mario TTYD. I can't imagine that tiny stick of circuitry being able to emulate a gamecube, but figured I'd ask.

• Locked thread