Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I can't believe we're already 60 chapters in and we still don't know who the main bad guy is for sure.

Hell, we don't really have much of an endgame right now, except I guess saving Holly (again)?

well, i think we're roughly halfway through kinda sorta and kira didn't properly get introduced until halfway through part 4. not like there isn't precedent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What if Holly's stand is a girl Killer Queen. The Killer Queen Mother.

What if it's Hermit Purple

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
e: quoting from the last page,

That chapter where he essentially beat Josuke into retreat during Beetle Tendency's aftermath with Speed King. That chapter where Aisho phones Jobin when he's paranoid about being tailed instead of calling Damo. That chapter where Aisho comes to Jobin to verify the fruit is good to go (instead of Damo). He speaks to himself mentally that his plans are his own, rather than ours or hers. Like, it's not nailed on until it's nailed, but he's so far and away the favourite for main antagonist. Obviously, Mummykins could just be all "ok, I'll betray my fuccboi son now" but that's just as likely to go either way too.
Some of those points, you could nitpick--like Aisho tries repeatedly to call Yotsuyu before finally freaking out and calling Jobin (who gets all sweaty and claims not to know anything in his usual style), and, knowing how this comic works, I wouldn't be surprised if Araki didn't have Damo's design/role totally figured out until just before his debut. On the other hand, to add to your point, Tsurugi makes a big deal in those same chapters about how his dad's not a bad person etc etc which is a huge "This dad is a bad person" flag. Every part in this series has had multiple things that Araki didn't bother to expand on or just straight-up dropped as the serialization went on, so it feels kind of weird to try to gather evidence for theory-crafting until the whole thing's wrapped up.

All I'm saying is that I too would like to see a hot mom war.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Or it's a Purple Killer Queen and it lives in a cave.

Jobin, like the little fucco he is, is flustered because he's at home though and doesn't want to get caught.
Honestly, my favourite implication of Jobin being worried about Norisuke would be that while King Nothing has no combat ability of note, it has Speed King in check mate and could own him easy.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 17, 2017

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

P.S. If I can't see some hot moms fight, I would settle just for Kyo coming back to doing something, anything, ever, please.

Honestly, my favourite implication of Jobin being worried about Norisuke would be that while King Nothing has no combat ability of note, it has Speed King in check mate and could own him easy.
Yeah, I want to know what the deal is with that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amaryllis posted:

P.S. If I can't see some hot moms fight, I would settle just for Kyo coming back to doing something, anything, ever, please.

What if Kyo is a hot mom?

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

What if Kyo is a hot mom?

You're spoiling the plot of my fanfic!!! :mad:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Or it's a Purple Killer Queen and it lives in a cave.

Queen Crimson

sanguinary
Nov 2, 2005

He's a coward, but he's probably going to grow emboldened through victories. It's a pretty interesting spin on things. I wouldn't be surprised of Dolomiti and Jobin end up fusing though.

He's been the only consistent villainous presence throughout the part and the only thing linking all the driving forces. Even the art on his introduction holds way more gravity than any other villain. There's also that "he has further powers" thing.

Where as the only argument in Cato's favour is that one panel where her eyes odd (which hasn't been replicated since, or in the same chapter) and that people want a female main antagonist. She'll need a lot of work from here on out to be both an interesting main villain and a well written one. It's not that Araki can't do that, it's that he's not really laid any ground work for that yet.

One of my friends has a theory that Araki is taking another shot at the Doppio and Diavolo plot, this time with Jobin and Cato. Not a lot of proof and it could easily be blown out of the water in the next few issues, but so far it feels pretty convincing to me. Jobin and Cato have yet to appear in the same panel together - so far they've spoken only over the phone, and when Cato left the house, Jobin walked in directly after she exited. The timing of Cato being paroled just as Jobin realizes he's in over his head seems pretty suspect as well. There's also the bit where Cato shows up at the house to reveal that Norisuke told everyone she was dead, not in prison, and the confrontation is kind of ambiguous where he seems truly shocked to see her alive at all. It's pretty obvious that Cato's bid to save Jobin's life and her own 15 years ago went wrong in some unforeseen way when she involved the kidnapped child.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd love to see it get pulled off because it would be super hosed up.

Amaryllis posted:

You're spoiling the plot of my fanfic!!! :mad:

sorry for spoiling "Karera vs Kyo hot mom war"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jobin and Cato being another Doppio and Diavolo would be so stupid but I'd love to loving see it.

I didn't read Jobin being worried about Norisuke as he was scared of getting his rear end kicked, but that he wants to avoid getting his dad on his tail and splitting up the family. Right now, Jobin is in everyone's good graces. He's the oldest son, both parents love him (though he clearly takes orders from Cato) his siblings respect him and his son and wife have a high opinion of him, so while him being so worried about having to get his own hands dirty is cowardice, it's also because he has a long way to fall if this fucks up for him.

Him making the blood in Yasuho's face boil so much she passes out is insanely cool but also insanely hosed up jesus christ

Paisley Park's Infinite Knowledge Dimension is rad as hell and I love that Yasuho gives her pronouns, it's cute

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh, I don't mean that seriously. I just think it would be funny if Jobin was scared of dad kicking his rear end.

Moltrey posted:

(though he clearly takes orders from Cato)

Based on? There's nothing really of note to suggest any hierarchy in either way it can go. Jobin's thoughts about the plans are first person, I'd be more inclined that there isn't one, and that it's them both in it together on a mutual level, sharing info as it goes, when it's obtained.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 17, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh yeah I am all for seeing more King Nothing, it's like my fav Part 8 Stand.

and also based on the fact that she asks him to pick her up from prison and he does it

that counts

man i still really wanna know why cato murdered that baby fifteen years ago

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Am I the only one who can't figure out anything that's happening in Josuke's chase?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Am I the only one who can't figure out anything that's happening in Josuke's chase?

he's just running in between different scenarios for gross poo poo to happen. nothing of consequence happened for Josuke this month

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Oh yeah I am all for seeing more King Nothing, it's like my fav Part 8 Stand.

and also based on the fact that she asks him to pick her up from prison and he does it

that counts

man i still really wanna know why cato murdered that baby fifteen years ago

drunken stupor meant the axe she threw at joshu hit shujo from next door

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I am literally always lost anytime Soft & Wet does anything.

The first time with the girl I think he shoved soap bubbles of water from the bottle he had into her nose so she would stop and choke for a bit.

The second time I think he surrounded himself with the same water to prevent the blood from splattering onto him. I have no loving clue how he did this because it honestly just looked he did loving waterbending

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Moltrey posted:

I am literally always lost anytime Soft & Wet does anything.

The first time with the girl I think he shoved soap bubbles of water from the bottle he had into her nose so she would stop and choke for a bit.

The second time I think he surrounded himself with the same water to prevent the blood from splattering onto him. I have no loving clue how he did this because it honestly just looked he did loving waterbending

Oh thank god

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

The Diavolo/Doppio retread thing is ridiculous, but this

sanguinary posted:

It's pretty obvious that Cato's bid to save Jobin's life and her own 15 years ago went wrong in some unforeseen way when she involved the kidnapped child.

is why I think Cato could play a bigger role in the story than we've seen so far. To keep on going with the wild speculations, what if, say, Jobin has taken over some shady fruit business dealings that she set up before going to prison and which are related to the kidnapped child? That would explain the first-person planning and the sense that they have some shared secrets. Would also help to explain why Jobin seems so nervous about Norisuke finding out. You'd think that if he started out with a good reason to deal with the fruit gangsters--like saving Tsurugi--he'd at least try to convince Norisuke it was a good idea. But if it's connected to something that sent Cato to prison? I didn't get the impression that Norisuke actually thought Cato had died, but that she'd done something so awful that she was basically dead to the family.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If it was 15 years ago, she almost definitely shouldn't have been saving Jobin. Jobin is 32 now and the curse manifests at 10. Unless they left him to suffer for 7 years.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

That's fair. I'm bowing to your better memory, again! (e: I still want to know what the deal with Cato's history is, though!)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Remotely feasible that we don't know the whole story of the curse and the rough time frame would allow for Hato to have had it at that time though, with a little fact fudging.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kinda interesting that we have reports now of some weird rock dude going around and biting a lot of poo poo around town

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reading this latest chapter was like experiencing a fever dream, I swear.

And I think I need to go back and reread all of this Part, because I barely remember what's going on anymore.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Imagine Highway Star but spread over months

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have faith that this part will continue to contain a lot of interesting fights but I feel like the end result might end up underwhelming story-wise since it feels like Araki is setting up a mystery but isn't necessarily all that good at dealing with it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amaryllis posted:

It's exceptionally lame that after her fight Kyo doesn't do anything ever.

This part could really use some of the supporting cast being more frequently relevant. Other than it just being the Josuke and Soft & Wet show.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I love reading it but I think Jojolion has the least consistent storyline of all the parts, which is especially sad because it's following up the most solid one.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's exceptionally lame that after her fight Kyo doesn't do anything ever.

This part could really use some of the supporting cast being more frequently relevant. Other than it just being the Josuke and Soft & Wet show.
I joke about wanting to see more of the ladies but the Kyo thing actually bothers me because she has so many reasons to be relevant: she's (half) related to Josuke, she knows about the fruit, she should care about Holly's condition, she's employed by the Higashikatas and has been investigating them and surely she'd have some dirt on Jobin? When the motorcycle first showed up in this latest chapter I thought for a moment "Oh, finally, Kyo's back and ready to gently caress up some zombies!" but nope.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amaryllis posted:

I joke about wanting to see more of the ladies but the Kyo thing actually bothers me because she has so many reasons to be relevant: she's (half) related to Josuke, she knows about the fruit, she should care about Holly's condition, she's employed by the Higashikatas and has been investigating them and surely she'd have some dirt on Jobin? When the motorcycle first showed up in this latest chapter I thought for a moment "Oh, finally, Kyo's back and ready to gently caress up some zombies!" but nope.

Yeah, I agree. I feel that way about a lot of the side-cast actually. Which is a shame because Araki is usually really good at managing a core group of characters and giving them time to shine. And most of the characters are cool or have potential, many just don't show up in any important role after being introduced. It's kinda lame.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, I agree. I feel that way about a lot of the side-cast actually. Which is a shame because Araki is usually really good at managing a core group of characters and giving them time to shine. And most of the characters are cool or have potential, they just don't show up in any important role after being introduced. It's kinda lame.

But what about that time they ran away from that long-range Stand, and then that time they ran away from the long-range Stand? And who can forget the time they ran away from that long-range Stand?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I love reading it but I think Jojolion has the least consistent storyline of all the parts, which is especially sad because it's following up the most solid one.

I agree. It's like Araki doesn't really know what he feels like doing and just kind of stumbles through different major plots.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Hato recently got a fight (even if Gappy got the final blow), and we got two whole chapters devoted to Joshu messing around with a money curse--those arcs make me hopeful that Araki hasn't forgotten about the rest of the cast and that we might get some more lower-stakes chapters/fights that let characters bounce off each other before everything shifts into final-fight mode. JJL's kind of in a weird place right now in that it's come off a really strong arc (the Damo fight and flashback sequence combo) that answered some questions and bumped it up in my favourite part list that no one cares about, then went into a surprisingly good and funny Joshu-centric arc that's either setup for something down the road or just a really good interlude, but there are still a lot of loose threads and huge missed opportunities, and we've had months of the central fight not even being that interesting because it's just Gappy using S+W to get away from zombie people.

(Honestly though, Araki has historically not been that great about letting the core cast shine outside of SBR, and even there, it's a shame that characters like Sandman and Hot Pants didn't get more time. In other parts you get things like Avdol and Kakyoin being out of commission for most of the road trip, Okuyasu not getting a fight of his own after punching out Akira, Fugo/Abbacchio/Trish doing almost nothing outside their introductory stand fights, Hermes avenging her sister but otherwise being off-screen for most of Part 6 etc etc. I think it's just more noticeable and frustrating when I'm missing characters from month to month instead of thinking about how they got shafted after reading chapters in bulk.)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Holy gently caress that guy driving himself through the wire mesh was gross as hell, especially with the line going down his eye.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I feel like a lot of these problems stem from actually having to wait for monthly releases vs having a fully completed part avaliable. Like, imagine having to wait five months for the entire Who Shot Johnny arc instead of bring able to run through the whole thing at once

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

StalkofWheat posted:

I feel like a lot of these problems stem from actually having to wait for monthly releases vs having a fully completed part avaliable. Like, imagine having to wait five months for the entire Who Shot Johnny arc instead of bring able to run through the whole thing at once

My compromise is I wait until each fight or segment is completed before I catch up so I can at least read them all at once and have a not-total-cliffhanger stopping point, but this also means I only get to read JJL like, three times a year if I'm lucky.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

StalkofWheat posted:

I reread through it a few months ago all in one go, and the big contradictions with Josefumi/Kira/Karera, flashback guy and sidelining of most of the family seemed more weird than reading it monthly.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What if holly's stand is star platinum

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought most of the issues in the plot so far have stemmed from araki trying to tell a mystery anyway. I mean, in the past, he hasn't really done any long-term mysteries that I can think of. Part 1 and 2 were pretty short and didn't have much in terms of mystery, 3 had them trying to find out where Dio was once they got to Egypt but they were always making some kind of progress with that and it didn't last that long I don't think. Part 4 bills itself as a mystery but outside of "who killed Keicho?" you don't really have much, the reader always knows who and where Kira is when he becomes important to the plot and the manga ends up becoming about how the main characters will find him. Part 5 has nothing but mystery in regards to Diavolo's backstory, but it was information that was never intended to be pieced together in a cohesive way, so it was purposefully left unsolved. Part 6 was pretty clear right from the start that Pucci was the bad guy and was up to stuff, then by the time they introduced the ritual into it, that got solved relatively quickly and then the prison break happens, but there aren't any major long-term mysteries that they're trying to solve except maybe the location of jotaro's disc. Part 7 has mystery in terms of "who is going to win the race?" and "what are the corpse parts going to do?" and "who is the corpse?" and I went in knowing that the corpse belonged to Jesus so I don't know how obvious it was that the corpse belonged to Jesus, but it felt like Johnny and Gyro were always making progress towards answering those questions. Part 8 just has a lot of stuff that seems to get tossed at the wall and then some of it gets answered, some doesn't, some contradicts itself, and it all feels like araki trying to build up to something without actually seeming like it will build up to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ugh, dolomite is a cool stand and this was a great chapter. All of you complaining make me sick

Legit worried for Josuke and yasuho, and looking forward to seeing how they get out of this.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 18, 2017