Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

But Not Tonight posted:

Three times now, and I've disabled all mods until I can figure out what's causing this.

I'm sorry about your destroyed butthole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

jfood posted:

Running the game in full-screen windowed mode made it a lot less janky and gave me a better framerate.

This will be the case in pretty much any game ever. If you're in windowed mode your computer has to dedicate resources (a lot) to the window PLUS the desktop, whereas in fullscreen mode it is only devoting resources to the game*.

*The computer still devotes resources to things that aren't the fullscreen game, but not really as much.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

He's saying windowed full screen. Aka borderless windowed.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Coolguye posted:

wait until you autopsy them. tygan writes his usual five paragraph essay but it's basically just the word "WHY" written about 100 times. it is hilarious.

I forgave Vahlen because of the loving awesome armor you get from them

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TK-42-1 posted:

He's saying windowed full screen. Aka borderless windowed.

oh hey derp

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Change your red text and replace anti virus and security with something about graphics options :grin:

In all seriousness I tried that borderless fullscreen thing at some point but it didn't change much.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Thing I've noticed is the game will absolutely grind to a loving halt FPS-wise when it has to calculate whether you're seen or not on maps with tons of enemies.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Party Plane Jones posted:

Thing I've noticed is the game will absolutely grind to a loving halt FPS-wise when it has to calculate whether you're seen or not on maps with tons of enemies.

That makes a lot of sense because it runs terrible on late missions on my 6600k/1070 set up. Even on medium settings the last mission chops around at like 20 fps with some spikes to 60. For some reason throwing flashbangs in certain situations brings my frame rate to single digits too.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Oh drat advent wiped out one of my havens and the Advent strength is at 7, not sure how I'm ever gonna get it back, my last monthly income was 9 bucks. This campaign...may be over.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kcM-49VwQdkqsyR2RtBfzQJrDmtaw46sWdFgfrmorLw/edit#gid=1095168118 Who like spoilers? I do!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Liu posted:

Oh drat advent wiped out one of my havens and the Advent strength is at 7, not sure how I'm ever gonna get it back, my last monthly income was 9 bucks. This campaign...may be over.

Wiped-out haven = set a soldier there as liaison. He'll do recruitment passively and you'll eventually get your resisty back in gear. Although if that was your only haven, yeah, restart. What month were you in, anyhow? Because by around July you absolutely have to have something liberated, a reasonable goal given how easy it is to get 3 regions early and farm two of them out for supplies whenever there's not a current crisis afoot (Dark Events/Tactical Researches processing)

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Wiped-out haven = set a soldier there as liaison. He'll do recruitment passively and you'll eventually get your resisty back in gear. Although if that was your only haven, yeah, restart. What month were you in, anyhow? Because by around July you absolutely have to have something liberated, a reasonable goal given how easy it is to get 3 regions early and farm two of them out for supplies whenever there's not a current crisis afoot (Dark Events/Tactical Researches processing)

I have 3 Havens and I'm in June, I don't think I'm anywhere near liberating a sector though. I think for my next campaign I'll put more focus on supply gathering and rely on missions to provide some resistance personnel

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jailbreak Resistance Personnel missions should, IN MY OPINION, be the ONLY way you get some more Resisties. Recruit as a personnel function is so slow-moving and crappy that you should just keep them dedicated to Intel so you get a Jailbreak mission with multiple resistance members. Until they tweak the rates up so you can actually get a decent rate of return on recruitment with Recruit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The problem here is that popping off the liberation chains is insanely annoying because they aren't labelled worth poo poo.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Find a lead = first mission in chain. Find a Lead = waste of time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Party Plane Jones posted:

The problem here is that popping off the liberation chains is insanely annoying because they aren't labelled worth poo poo.

I mean, you can absolutely tell whenever a mission is the first one in the liberation chain.

Which makes it really stupid that it's not obviously labeled, since it's being pointlessly obtuse while not actually achieving anything.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

They really should have made the box-thieving/train-robbing, jailbreaks and liberation chains selectable from a menu. Pick your missions, pick your dudes, infiltrate and go make trouble. Have a game plan, make choices, spend intel so you can bring more dudes... all that poo poo. The scanning is fine for stuff like troop columns, but it's just another heaping of 'hurr durr, tactically challenging!' bullshit when it comes to forward progression. And fun. It's an enemy of fun. I don't want to have to wait for the rng to tell me it's time to bring four grenadiers and two technicals to level the loving map while I bust a single rookie and some probably a faceless resistance member out of prison... I want to press a button and have that happen.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

rally posted:

That makes a lot of sense because it runs terrible on late missions on my 6600k/1070 set up. Even on medium settings the last mission chops around at like 20 fps with some spikes to 60. For some reason throwing flashbangs in certain situations brings my frame rate to single digits too.

I have a i5 6600 (no overclock) and 970 and it runs like a dream. Really weird.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I'm on a 970 and a lowly g4560 and it runs great, my biggest dip is from 75 fps down to 45fp. But for the most part it's a fairly solid 60-75.

This is a huge change from my q9550 cpu where it would bottleneck constantly especially when blowing up a roof or having a guy jump through a glass window.

Interestingly enough, the most intensive part of the game for me used to be the hacking menu, it would drop to 12 fps every time and stay there till I finished hacking. On my new system though it's the least intensive part, I get 75fps solid with only like 85% gpu usage. I guess it must use a fancy shader or something that my old setup just didn't support.

Anyway in regards to your performance something is definitely wrong. I'm assuming you're tried checking anti aliasing is disabled? AA is crazy broken or something in xcom2 it seems and can outright just half your fps.

I'd probably delete all workshop files, delete a bunch of ini filesthat contain your settings and verify files. If that doesn't fix it maybe wipe the game and redownloading load completely?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i got this game on ps4, is it any good?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It's good. Better with mods on PC, but it's good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fridge corn posted:

i got this game on ps4, is it any good?

Yeah, really good.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Zore posted:

Yeah, really good.

Yes. Super sad I hosed up the Christmas sale, had a cart full of discount games I was going to buy the 26th, not realizing the sale ended the 25th. Full price for me it is.

Are there any dlc worth getting on console?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

xxEightxx posted:

Yes. Super sad I hosed up the Christmas sale, had a cart full of discount games I was going to buy the 26th, not realizing the sale ended the 25th. Full price for me it is.

Are there any dlc worth getting on console?

There are 3 DLCs.

Anarchy's children is a bunch of Mad Max-esque customization options. I like it but its just a bunch of cosmetics.

Alien Rulers adds a new story mission, 4 powerful one of a kind weapons and 3 'Alien Ruler' boss enemies that you can kill and skin to get powerful one of a kind armor. Its divisive because the Rulers play unlike anything else in the game (They get an action after any action your dudes take, not on the alien's turn). Personally I find them a fun challenge but a lot of people loving hate them. Also if you do get it turning off the story mission just means they appear with no fanfare, you have to either delete the DLC or activate the story mission and never go on it to avoid them.

Shen's Last Gift has a story mission and a cool new Soldier class; SPARKs which are mechanical soldiers that function like MECs from EW. Very solid DLC and punching aliens is still hella fun.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I am playing my way through LW2.... very, very slowly due to real life stuff. I keep wanting to like technicals, but my God do they drive me crazy. The flamethrower is really hard to get position with, but I can accept that because every class has to jockey for good positioning. The real problem is the rocket: Inaccurate as hell until you get the perk and not exactly pinpoint even then, EXTREMELY loud to the point where it seems like using any time before you know you've already encountered the last pod on the map is suicidal, and not even that damaging when it hits. The one time I took on a Swarming mission I definitely got some mileage out of it, but it was still only slightly better than a good grenadier.

Do the rockets ever get much better or do they stay pretty anemic all game long?

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Backhand posted:

So I am playing my way through LW2.... very, very slowly due to real life stuff. I keep wanting to like technicals, but my God do they drive me crazy. The flamethrower is really hard to get position with, but I can accept that because every class has to jockey for good positioning. The real problem is the rocket: Inaccurate as hell until you get the perk and not exactly pinpoint even then, EXTREMELY loud to the point where it seems like using any time before you know you've already encountered the last pod on the map is suicidal, and not even that damaging when it hits. The one time I took on a Swarming mission I definitely got some mileage out of it, but it was still only slightly better than a good grenadier.

Do the rockets ever get much better or do they stay pretty anemic all game long?

The way I try to build technicals is like this: go with fire in the hole for the rocket accuracy (it's the first perk tier, so you get it early and it's a good "bang for your buck" talent). Makes your rockets more reliable which is nice since you'll always have one, they shred armor, and are pretty good at opening a fight in some cases, although they do make a LOT of noise and it's better with the Bigger Booms talent.

From there, if you want to go more fire-focused pick up:

* Napalm-X (panicking enemies is great CC)
* Burnout (Defensive boost every time you use flamethrower, which is nice since technicals put themselves in harms way a lot)
* Formidible (Phosphorus kinda sucks because you can't set machines on fire, nor can you panick them. It's a weak talent. This makes you more tanky)
* Incinerator (Obvious choice for being a raging flamer. Makes your flamethrower a wider and further arc)
* Tactical Sense or Quickburn (Tac sense is a little better imo, because one of the best use cases for flamethrower is opening a fight silently. After that, the enemies scatter which means if you try to quickburn you won't get nearly as many hits as your opener. This adds to your survivability without sacrificing much in terms of flamethrower power).
* Firestorm or Bunker Buster (BB is probably less situational than Firestorm, but Firestorm seems to have some crazy high damage potential if you set it up correctly. Either one looks like a solid choice. I don't have a Technical at the highest rank yet so this is theorycrafting)

As for positioning: having a high mobility on a technical is a great thing, but failing that you can equip them with an SMG to give them that extra movement boost. Main downside is that SMGs kind of suck damage-wise compared to the other guns but they're not half bad if you're up close and personal, which you should be with a technical a lot of the time anyway.

Amish Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 17, 2017

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

jfood posted:

They really should have made the box-thieving/train-robbing, jailbreaks and liberation chains selectable from a menu. Pick your missions, pick your dudes, infiltrate and go make trouble. Have a game plan, make choices, spend intel so you can bring more dudes... all that poo poo. The scanning is fine for stuff like troop columns, but it's just another heaping of 'hurr durr, tactically challenging!' bullshit when it comes to forward progression. And fun. It's an enemy of fun. I don't want to have to wait for the rng to tell me it's time to bring four grenadiers and two technicals to level the loving map while I bust a single rookie and some probably a faceless resistance member out of prison... I want to press a button and have that happen.

The LW2 devs loving love pointless RNG and hate player directed strategy. Everything is on invisible timers linked to invisible stats you could keep track of with a spreadsheet if you cared enough, so the truly obsessive will still see through the RNG obfuscation and be able to min/max the game. Its only the regular players who will suffer. And then they will keep balancing around the obsessives.

For instance, currently you can clear a 'bad' mission (sabotage monument for instance) by just sending a 10 supply rookie to their death and failing the mission. That frees up a slot in the region for a new activity to spawn. If you really want a scientist or engineer early on just sacrifice rookies until the RNG spits one out at you. When asked why not just implement a 'Cycle Mission' button that costs 10 supplies to use the answer was that narratively it doesn't make any sense, but sitting through loading screens to accomplish functionally the same thing is still fine.

I think the lesson from LW2 is that the limitations of XCOM:EW's strategic layers was a blessing in reigning in some of Johnny Lumpkin's dumbest impulses.

Tactically its a fun game, even if it does get extremely tedious in the midgame when you're fighting the same ADVENT and aliens except with slightly more HP and defense. Towards the late game alien variety finally starts picking up and battles get interesting again.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Amish Ninja posted:

* Incinerator (Obvious choice for being a raging flamer)
* Tactical Sense or Quickburn (Tac sense is a little better imo, because one of the best use cases for flamethrower is opening a fight silently. After that, the enemies scatter. This adds to your survivability without sacrificing much in terms of flamethrower power).
* Firestorm or Bunker Buster (BB is probably less situational than Firestorm, but Firestorm seems to have some crazy high damage potential if you set it up correctly. Either one looks like a solid choice. I don't have a Technical at the highest rank yet so this is theorycrafting)

Javelins let you fire rockets without moving, which really helps with the accuracy aspect.
Quickburn lets you put down a smoke patch without using an action, which has enormous tactical flexibility. Its also useful for walking forward, flaming, and then retreating to safety.
E: Quickburn affects *all* flamethrower abilities. So you can move -> quickburn -> firestorm -> run the hell away if you wanted
Bunker Buster is a gently caress off huge rocket that destroys basically any structure you point it at. Its pretty good.

Gunners and Technicals are your reliable cover destruction. Grenadiers are less reliable until they get Combat Engineer at MSGT.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Not a Step posted:

Javelins let you fire rockets without moving, which really helps with the accuracy aspect.
Quickburn lets you put down a smoke patch without using an action, which has enormous tactical flexibility. Its also useful for walking forward, flaming, and then retreating to safety.
E: Quickburn affects *all* flamethrower abilities. So you can move -> quickburn -> firestorm -> run the hell away if you wanted
Bunker Buster is a gently caress off huge rocket that destroys basically any structure you point it at. Its pretty good.

Gunners and Technicals are your reliable cover destruction. Grenadiers are less reliable until they get Combat Engineer at MSGT.

Yeah, I was mainly talking about a flamethrower-based build. You have a fair point about Quickburn. Anecdotally, I suppose I end up in not too many situations where moving and then burning, or burning twice is super useful. I can think of a couple. It's just that most of the time, at least half of my burn targets end up panicked and I don't find myself in a cover position where the defensive smoke doesn't make my technical extremely difficult to hit, so it seems more situational than TacSense.

I'm still in agreement with you that Bunker Buster seems quite good even if you're going for a flamethrower build.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any mods for LW2 that get rid of all the tedious busy work, like building individual weapons, or having to micromanage everything instead of just shooting dudes?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Since Technicals came up again: Concussive Rocket: what's the thought on it? When I read it created a smoke cloud that gave enemies defense I was like "Yep. That's never getting taken" and the primary argument for it was that you fire it into a group then move everyone into it like some kind of shock and awe strategy lol.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

Lunethex posted:

Since Technicals came up again: Concussive Rocket: what's the thought on it? When I read it created a smoke cloud that gave enemies defense I was like "Yep. That's never getting taken" and the primary argument for it was that you fire it into a group then move everyone into it like some kind of shock and awe strategy lol.

It's one of the worst perks in the game, if not *the* worst. It needs to be changed for something else entirely or rebalanced in some way.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
You guys are right, this game is cool 😎

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

your friend a dog posted:

Are there any mods for LW2 that get rid of all the tedious busy work, like building individual weapons, or having to micromanage everything instead of just shooting dudes?

Some modders floated doing a LW2 Lite, but it's not really that simple unfortunately, and a lot of the people who don't really agree with a lot of the fundamental design decisions made in LW2 would rather work on our own mods rather than untangle design decisions out f the LW2 mod.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Concussive rocket smoke doesn't benefit the enemy. Don't ask me why though.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

E: ^^ That was a bug, pretty sure its fixed now or in 1.2

Lunethex posted:

Concussive Rocket is incredibly weird from a design perspective because Sting Grenades and Chain Lightning exist. Neither of those have will rolls against static numbers or a buff to enemies to 'balance' them.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Some modders floated doing a LW2 Lite, but it's not really that simple unfortunately, and a lot of the people who don't really agree with a lot of the fundamental design decisions made in LW2 would rather work on our own mods rather than untangle design decisions out f the LW2 mod.

I use your Extract Corpses mod so that when I encounter rare aliens on non-corpse recovery mission I always have the risk/reward decision of trying to bring it home with me. It hasn't come up often, but when it has (snagging a sweet sweet early Archon corpse for Fusion Axes) its been really engaging to work out how my stealth crew is going to bring it down and bring it home.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Steam Cloud ate my current LW2 run. :(

I was just about to reach coilguns, too.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Not a Step posted:

E: ^^ That was a bug, pretty sure its fixed now or in 1.2

Concussive Rocket is incredibly weird from a design perspective because Sting Grenades and Chain Lightning exist. Neither of those have will rolls against static numbers or a buff to enemies to 'balance' them.

I use your Extract Corpses mod so that when I encounter rare aliens on non-corpse recovery mission I always have the risk/reward decision of trying to bring it home with me. It hasn't come up often, but when it has (snagging a sweet sweet early Archon corpse for Fusion Axes) its been really engaging to work out how my stealth crew is going to bring it down and bring it home.

Yeah, I haven't thought about it much til lately but it's a really interesting balance point which can give strategic nuance to a tactical situation. I'll probably explore it further with scavenging ammunition/weapons/supplies for the resistance in Guerrilla War, because it seems really important to give the player sub objectives of varying risk & reward. When the invisible inc guys talk about the balance of the game, the various safes are a really critical element because if there's only one objective, it becomes straightforward to min max for it, and you feel like you have less risk/reward choices to make.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, I haven't thought about it much til lately but it's a really interesting balance point which can give strategic nuance to a tactical situation. I'll probably explore it further with scavenging ammunition/weapons/supplies for the resistance in Guerrilla War, because it seems really important to give the player sub objectives of varying risk & reward. When the invisible inc guys talk about the balance of the game, the various safes are a really critical element because if there's only one objective, it becomes straightforward to min max for it, and you feel like you have less risk/reward choices to make.

I love having multiple objectives of varying importance to try to complete in a mission. I dig XCOM2's loot objectives and making the tactical decision on how much you want loot versus how much you need to use explosives or how little you want to move forward to collect it. It adds some richness to the tactical game. Bringing home rare aliens is another fun tactical component that I really wish LW2 capitalized on in some way. Seeing an Andromedon in a non-corpse mission and knowing I likely won't see another for a month because of how slow alien types show up in LW2 is real sad otherwise.

I would *love* missions that were 'Intercept Alien R&D' or whatever that had higher Force Level aliens way before they made their appearance in the general population so you could attempt to gain a strategic research advantage by winning a tactically challenging mission. Like an opportunity to fight and bring home a sectopod wreck a month or two before they start showing up on missions otherwise.

I would also just like higher tier aliens to just *show* *up* in LW2 before late game. You go several months fighting the same set of aliens and ADVENT with slightly more HP and it gets super tedious. I deliberately skulljacked a Captain early to try to get some Codexes to spice it up, but theyre super rare too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Until you have tons of skulljacks it's not worth it to try to skulljack an officer specifically because Codexes do not loving spawn worth a drat. You probably need to skulljack both in the same mission.

Higher level aliens will show up specifically as pod leaders during reinforcement phases, but its still rather rare.