Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's so great about Singularity?

It was a very powerful spell that offered a lot of new tactical options that were interesting and differed substantially depending on your skill set. Unfortunately, the most powerful new options were boring and broke the game. I think it could be saved and end up as an even more interesting spell than before, but it's probably not trivial (e.g. the central tile simply must be passable or you can do too many abusive things with it, but, while I haven't looked at the code for the spell, my understanding is that changing that would not be easy).

Ferrinus posted:

On another topic, I've never felt like Crawl combat is particularly easy or mindless but that's because I almost exclusively play casters or caster hybrids and so I'm always having to think about which of my special moves would be best in a situation and whether I can afford to pay their prices. I lost my most recent character because I sublimated my blood too vigorously in Orc:2 and didn't notice that a cyclops had moseyed into the corner of the screen.

So, if you actually wanted to make MiBe melee powerhouses not mindless, I think you'd want to make a Dark Souls-esque stamina bar spent to empower or outright allow attacks, or else weaken bump attacks but put in special attacks that cost mana, or otherwise turn fighting with an axe into a similar resource preservation/verb deployment challenge to fighting with fireballs.

I can't imagine stamina or mana for special melee attacks being in Crawl since a very simple melee system is, in my opinion, right at the game's core. Tactical complexity should be emergent from that simple basis, not artificially built onto it. In spite of what people say, Crawl is actually pretty good about this, there are a lot of mistakes people can make in choosing where and how to fight. If IJC makes it into trunk, that will add more tactical complexity for people who want it.

I don't think the issue with MiBe is lack of resource management, rather it's that the game has a lot of trouble threatening players with very high defenses. Making it harder to reach near invincible levels of AC, EV, SH and HP would make melee less obviously the best choice of play style.

One way would be to make AC and EV more of an either/or choice. As it is now, MiBes can get huge AC and quite acceptable EV, meaning they have far more mitigation than characters with just EV. If it were simply impossible to reach good EV in heavy armor, I think armor in general would be less of a clear choice.

Another would be to make EV more powerful than AC and have it act as the baseline defense all characters are expected to have. AC would then be an extra layer of defense that players could opt into, similar to SH, if they have the stats and the XP to spare on armor skill. AC would have to be less reliable than it is now, perhaps by implementing something like reverse GDR, where a certain amount of damage always gets through. Under that system, I imagine armor wouldn't impact EV at all, as long as you meet the STR requirement. Then you could simplify the armor skill to only raise AC, rather than having it do four completely unrelated things.

I prefer the second solution, since it makes it clear heavy armor is the best choice for defense for dedicated melee characters, but flattens the gap between heavy and light armor. It also makes it possible to simplify the armor skill and, to my mind, has a much better flavor, since real life armor was designed to not impact the wearer's mobility.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

apple posted:

This is the vault I got:

I was yelling a lot in the two spots at the top of the screen with all the corpses

You're a naga... what was your stealth?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Pulling elves out pretty much always works, it's just a question of how much you gotta back up(if at all) after getting attention.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ferrinus posted:

Merge potions of Haste and Degeneration. When you drink one you go super fast for a while but then your body and mind are burnt out by the strain. If you drink another it extends the haste but also adds to the after-haste drain. Before doing this, bring back Singularity.

Also bring back wands of Haste, Tele, and HW.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Pulling elves out pretty much always works, it's just a question of how much you gotta back up(if at all) after getting attention.

There is infinite scope for fun when things go bad and a teleport lands you in the treasure vaults, still full of elves.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Is there a way to regex equippable only items in the search?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Press '=' under the search to hide useless items.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Well I feel dumb now. Thanks.

Carados fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 17, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You're a naga... what was your stealth?

It was 7 with a stealth ring on top. Does this affect a monster's willingness to check the source of a noise? I was definitely fighting in plain sight, maybe I got lucky and most monsters in the vault were out of position.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ogre Bardings should be a thing btw.

apple posted:

It was 7 with a stealth ring on top. Does this affect a monster's willingness to check the source of a noise? I was definitely fighting in plain sight, maybe I got lucky and most monsters in the vault were out of position.

They can have a harder time finding the noise, wander off in a different direction, and then lose track of it completely. I don't know the code, but that's effectively what it looks like.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
to clarify: the length of time that monsters will keep tracking you while out-of-sight is based on stealth skill, not the stealth stat on the % screen

e: oops, i'm out of date! see below

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 17, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ogre Bardings should be a thing btw.

They can have a harder time finding the noise, wander off in a different direction, and then lose track of it completely. I don't know the code, but that's effectively what it looks like.

PleasingFungus posted:

to clarify: the length of time that monsters will keep tracking you while out-of-sight is based on stealth skill, not the stealth stat on the % screen

That's good to know, seems like a big deal for stealthy characters. I guess I never noticed because I'm using noisy stuff like fireball most of the time.

Is this documented somewhere? IMO it should show up in the description for stealth if there's no plans on changing it anytime soon.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

PleasingFungus posted:

That seems really weird, to be honest, since when it comes up, it's really powerful.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

So my reading of that is that Dithmenos or DS shadow mutation or an item with +stealth wouldn't affect how long a monster tracks you? Only actual xp invested in the Stealth skill?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And you could have a melee dude stomping around in CPA, but a high stealth skill would have things lose track of them earlier than a wizard in robes with a low stealth skill? That's...kind of counterintuitive.

Although I guess in practice the heavy armor melee guy will make a lot more noise that keeps attracting things to him, so maybe it balances out? Stealth is weird.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, that sounds really weird. Monsters should definitely base that behavior off your current stealth stat, not your stealth skill.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i double-checked, and my Deep Crawl Lore is out of date. as of 0.12, monster forgetfulness is based on the derived stealth stat, not the stealth skill.

in apology, here's a tiny riddle. the stealth skill currently affects four things. your stealth stat; extra damage from stabbing; the amount of piety you get for sacrificing stealth under ru... but what's the fourth?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think I know, but I had to look it up.

chance that doors make noise when opening?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Jiyva stat shuffle?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Your title.

apple
May 18, 2003

The rate of shitposts in tavern's CYC

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I know, but I had to look it up.

chance that doors make noise when opening?

Yeah, that's the great flavour that somehow has managed to be ignored from the flattening (RIP ankus).

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I really wish monks had quarterstaves as a starting weapon option.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Your title.

I thought of this midway through composing my post, and then forgot about it by the end! Fitzy Fitz has the answer I was thinking of, but you're right too, of course.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Have the stealth meter show a bunch of minuses (-) to show just how unstealthy you are, tia.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Have webtiles play a CLANG CLANG CLANG sound effect as you move around in heavy armor.

Also have it play explosion sound effects when you use fireball/firestorm/ignition/orb of destruction.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Having played around with Ignition, I'm not sure that it's a Good Spell, but it's definitely a Fun Spell. It really shone in two places: Vaults 5 ambush, and the Royal Jelly. The guards just plain went down; TRJ took one hit, surrounded himself with jellies... one Ignite killed him and the jellies, a second Ignite killed all the jellies he spawned on dying.

Most of the time, tough, it was okay but not great. It's a pretty decent stopgap between fireball/bolt of fire and Firestorm.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 18, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It could do with being level 7, I think.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Have webtiles play a CLANG CLANG CLANG sound effect as you move around in heavy armor.

Also have it play explosion sound effects when you use fireball/firestorm/ignition/orb of destruction.

Isn't there an experimental branch on the Korean server that does this?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
the explosion part, anyway!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good news for noisy players, Crawl has a noise meter now!

(this one is slightly outdated since the gold display was removed, but this is what it looks like in Webtiles)

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 18, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh hell yeah

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

(this one is slightly outdated since the gold display was removed, but this is what it looks like in Webtiles)

*in wizmode webtiles

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

*in wizmode webtiles

Huh? I didn't know webtiles had wizmode?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
iirc it's only for dev use. Us filthy non-devs can't access it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I think you can access wizard on some of the experimental. I know you used to be able to on the the Pakellas one back when it was in experimental on cBro.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

My first successful 15 runer. After I got an absolutely insane run of benemut plus torment resistance I couldn't help but give it a shot.

My overall extended feedback:
---Abyss is barely part of extended, which is a shame cause it's a pretty cool area. I kinda feel like the rune should be level 5 only; plodding around on level 3 for a while was pretty boring.

---Slime is cool and interesting, but I think the difficulty is a bit too focused on the Acid Blobs. Acid Blobs genuinely make me more nervous than Tier 1 demons, which is a bit odd, and the only other normal slime enemies I really worried about were Shining Eyes. Do you think you could add back the diggable walls after killing the Royal Slime? Racing the monsters for the loot sucks.

---Tomb was the least fun part of extended, even with negative resist 3 and 50% torment resist. Tomb 2 and 3 are basically just long, tedious exercises in stair dancing followed by (for me) an Immolation scroll bomb. The enemies are interesting and fine overall, but I feel like the layout needs a redesign to make the engaging it fun at all. Having to deal with death curses doesn't help, and just punctuates the stair dancing with frequent rests.

---Pandemonium wasn't too bad, but it also wasn't very interesting. The only times I felt like I was seriously in danger were against random Lords who happened to spawn with a big retinue, or against the big four (except Lom Labon, who I blinked to and killed instantly). With the exception of the weirdly common Reapers and Executioners, tier 1 and 2 demons felt substantially rarer than they should have been.

---Hell was actually pretty high-pressure and fun, though hell effects need a rework. Contamination on random proc is dumb, the stat damage/rot effects were mildly frustrating, and damage procs were uninteresting and largely nonthreatening. Overall, I fell that hell effects should have more emphasis on pressuring players in moments of safety, or taking situations that are under control and adding wild elements to them. Seeing a couple of new tier 1/2 demons pop up during a fight was tense and fun.

In more general terms, I'd like to see:
---Less reliance on Torment in extended. Almost all dangerous extended enemies use it, and tools exist to allow them to make use of other threats. MR or elemental resistance stripping, for instance, followed up with Confusion or Petrification.

---I really don't like Malmutation just in concept, but if it's going to stick around, take it off Neqoxec please. They're way too common to have a way of permanently mangling your character. Give them the temporary mutation power that the demonspawn corruptors have instead.

e: Also I never found a wand of healing, a wand of haste, or a potion of experience all game!

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 18, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

fool_of_sound posted:

My first successful 15 runer. After I got an absolutely insane run of benemut plus torment resistance I couldn't help but give it a shot.

My overall extended feedback:
---Abyss is barely part of extended, which is a shame cause it's a pretty cool area. I kinda feel like the rune should be level 5 only; plodding around on level 3 for a while was pretty boring.

---Slime is cool and interesting, but I think the difficulty is a bit too focused on the Acid Blobs. Acid Blobs genuinely make me more nervous than Tier 1 demons, which is a bit odd, and the only other normal slime enemies I really worried about were Shining Eyes. Do you think you could add back the diggable walls after killing the Royal Slime? Racing the monsters for the loot sucks.
These two branches are viable third runes for many characters. That's why Abyss doesn't really feel like part of extended and Slime's difficulty mostly depends on corrosion.

Moving the abyssal rune to level 5 wouldn't really make it less boring(it's still roaming around until a rune vault happens to spawn, except now you have two more levels of roaming around hoping for a portal down), just more likely you kill you.

quote:

---Tomb was the least fun part of extended, even with negative resist 3 and 50% torment resist. Tomb 2 and 3 are basically just long, tedious exercises in stair dancing followed by (for me) an Immolation scroll bomb. The enemies are interesting and fine overall, but I feel like the layout needs a redesign to make the engaging it fun at all. Having to deal with death curses doesn't help, and just punctuates the stair dancing with frequent rests.
Half the problem with tomb is that it's possibly the crustiest, most fossilized branch in all of crawl. I don't think the layout has been touched in ages. There's basically no variation at all, which makes it predictable as hell after you've done it a couple times.

On the flip side, it also makes it easy(if tedious) to deal with once you know the deal. Bring your rN, resign yourself to stairdancing, and try not to have too many greaters on screen at a time. Bonus points if you blow enough tele to skip mummy highway.

quote:

e: Also I never found a wand of healing, a wand of haste, or a potion of experience all game!
You never found the first two because they were removed. :ssh: The third is just hilariously rare unless you go into a zig.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

You never found the first two because they were removed. :ssh: The third is just hilariously rare unless you go into a zig.

I was playing on .19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The other way to deal with Tomb 3 is Lignification, Immolation, and some sort of reliable heal. Then just muscle on through.

• Locked thread