Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Also anything to do with WTC or falling was banned from media. So you wanted to hear Tom Petty's freefalling while watching Homer vs New York, well, SOL.

Wasn't there a teaser for the first Spider-Man movie that had crooks being caught in a web between WTC towers?

All these songs were banned for a while.

Like hey, 9/11 was a horrible, traumatic event where over 3000 people died and America's sense of safety within their own country was basically annihilated, but also, every single American over-reacted to it like loving crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

All these songs were banned for a while.

Like hey, 9/11 was a horrible, traumatic event where over 3000 people died and America's sense of safety within their own country was basically annihilated, but also, every single American over-reacted to it like loving crazy.

These are things easy to say in hindsight, not so much at the time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

Yeah, mostly because saying it at the time got you lynched.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, well that's not really true at all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Why the hell are we talking about this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I was saying it at the time, very loudly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Well congratulations I guess?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I find it weird when every now and then you'll get people talking about reclaiming that feeling after 9/11. Mothefuckers are nostalgic for a post-9/11 sense of unity like it's loving Doug.

616 Ted Cruz probably talks about that sense of unity when even our greatest enemy, Doctor Doom, united with us.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 17, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

Weren't you in pre-school at the time?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Well congratulations I guess?

Sorry, it's not exactly something worth bragging about, and I don't mean to imply I was yelling at people to "get over it" or whatever. It was just really scary to see what was going on in the US after 9/11, and I felt really powerless as a Canadian teenager in the face of it all, so I got really loud about it. Kind of a familiar feeling.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I find it weird when every now and then you'll get people talking about reclaiming that feeling after 9/11. Mothefuckers are nostalgic for a post-9/11 sense of unity like it's loving Doug.

That reminds me of when the PM of our province was like "Quebecers came together in the face of the 1998 ice storm and this sense of togetherness should be remembered" when people were stealing each other's poo poo, chaining down generators to keep people from stealing them and reselling them at 10x the price, marking up basic survival supplies, etc.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

You're Canadian or something though, you could have gotten away with it

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

That reminds me of when the PM of our province was like "Quebecers came together in the face of the 1998 ice storm and this sense of togetherness should be remembered" when people were stealing each other's poo poo, chaining down generators to keep people from stealing them and reselling them at 10x the price, marking up basic survival supplies, etc.

To be fair, that was a hell of an ice storm. Even in Winnipeg we were all like "poo poo, that's one hell of an ice storm."

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The thing about 9/11 was that people were imagining how much worse it could get and thinking that terrorists would keep coming after the US, or the shaky US economy would collapse and the world economy would really go to sit.

It turned out differently, but a lot off that insanity was not entirely baseless, just wrong.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Sure is good that everyone managed to return to a pre-9/11 level of stability and insanity, and aren't making hugely important decisions about politics and the future of nations based on fear. Dodged a bullet there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

haitfais posted:

To be fair, that was a hell of an ice storm. Even in Winnipeg we were all like "poo poo, that's one hell of an ice storm."

We got like 1000 bucks from some people in a poor-rear end African country who saw us on the news and wanted to help out. :unsmith:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know why Amazon doesn't have the dr strange blu Ray up for pre-order?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone know why Amazon doesn't have the dr strange blu Ray up for pre-order?

Disney and Amazon have issues.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What sort of issues? Is there a link to a story?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

What sort of issues? Is there a link to a story?

I don't know the details but a lot of Disney stuff doesn't go up for preorder there. For instance right now Moana is the same way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat this is why I hate the death of brick and mortar stores.

Anyways, I'm watching it now on DD, and man I'm impressed that the big set pieces work on my TV almost as well as they did in the theater. My hope for Strange 2 features either Clea or Nico as Strange's student, and also Doctor Voodoo, which seems safe because Daniel Drumm being in the movie says that Jericho probably exists too.

I really want to see Wanda and Strange interact, to see her power compaired to Strange's.

Seeing that they're suggesting that the Avengers go to space, I'd not be surprised if Carol Danvers is their pilot, and during Infinity War she gains her powers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I don't know the details but a lot of Disney stuff doesn't go up for preorder there. For instance right now Moana is the same way.

That's weird because this is the first time I haven't been able to preorder a marvel movie. I wonder what's different.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

That's weird because this is the first time I haven't been able to preorder a marvel movie. I wonder what's different.

This isn't the first time it's happened. It'll be resolved eventually, though surely not in time to pre-order anything releasing soon. So if you want Doctor Strange, Moana, Star Wars or anything like that from Amazon you'll have to wait until actual release day to order them. In fact the last time I can remember it happening was for the blu-ray of Winter Soldier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, 95% of most stores will carry new releases of big films. Heck you could probably snag a copy at a gas station.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, 95% of most stores will carry new releases of big films. Heck you could probably snag a copy at a gas station.

You'd be surprised. My local Target and my Best Buy both only carry new releases from the past month or two now. All the big box stores around here started consolidating and then removing most of their dvd/blu sections starting last year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soonmot posted:

X-O posted:

Disney and Amazon have issues.

It's up for pre-order on Amazon UK. :shrug:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Different distribution deals.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The embargo is over so let me just say that Logan is goddamn amazing holy poo poo.

It's also the most violent movie I can remember seeing in a long, long time. My editor described it as making Robocop look G-rated.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The reviews for it are so overwhelmingly gushing and good that I feel they might be over hyping it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thank God. I really needed this to be great.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Whoa seriously? I wasn't remotely expecting anything from this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The one negative review on RT basically says that it's a little formulaic.

That's not usually something that's a big deal to me.

quote:

"Logan" self-consciously aspires to retire the steel-clawed hero with epic grandeur, and the results are often rousingly bleak. And yet, the risks taken only make the formulaic redemption story and cliched emotional underpinnings increasingly frustrating.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 17, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gavok posted:

The embargo is over so let me just say that Logan is goddamn amazing holy poo poo.

It's also the most violent movie I can remember seeing in a long, long time. My editor described it as making Robocop look G-rated.

Oh poo poo. That's really good news.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gavok posted:

My editor described it as making Robocop look G-rated.

Hmm. HMMM. I refuse to believe this. No way anything is more violent in Logan than ED-209 obliterating that one exec or when Murphy gets blown apart. No way.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Matt Reeves is not directing the Batman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-negotiations-break-down-director-matt-reeves-977266

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol, RIP DCEU.

Unless they get George Miller to direct it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

That's a shame, he seemed like a good choice. I'll eat my shoe if it ends up being Ridley Scott.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

teagone posted:

Hmm. HMMM. I refuse to believe this. No way anything is more violent in Logan than ED-209 obliterating that one exec or when Murphy gets blown apart. No way.

Believe it. The movie is absolutely visceral in its action. I lost count of how many times I went :stare:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, now I gotta watch it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So you're saying we finally get to see what it would really look like if an angry immortal man with claws went berserk instead of all the bloodless stabbing and slashing we've had for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So you're saying we finally get to see what it would really look like if an angry immortal man with claws went berserk instead of all the bloodless stabbing and slashing we've had for years?

It's less the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie and more the X-Men Origins: Wolverine video game.

But Wolverine isn't really the one you should be concerned with...

• Locked thread