Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Venoms are specific toxins, actually.

It's a toxin if you get it from eating, it's a venom if you get it from a snake bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endless Mike posted:

Venoms are specific toxins, actually.

Both statements are correct. Welcome to the English language.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Apologies if this question comes up often. I've been away from the forums for a while.

My buddy and I are about to launch a Kickstarter for a comic book anthology we've been working on since May, and I wanted to promote it here on the forums. Is that cool with everybody? Is there a dedicated Kickstarter thread I should use? I didn't see anything about it in the rules, so I figured I'd ask.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Over in the Funny Panels thread, someone posted a page where Spidey ranked the strength of like every Marvel superhero in tiers. He ended up in the same tier as She Hulk. Is Jen really not all that strong? I mean she ended up under Thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

She's really strong, she's just not bench-press 12 tonnes strong and unlike Bruce she doesn't get increased strength with anger.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-man's strength has gone down considerably since the 70s. He used to be able to take out The Avengers or The X-men by himself, now he'd get obliterated if he tried to take Colossus in a straight fight.

I think She-Hulk's gotten slightly stronger over the years as well. I know the last time Spidey and her teamed up, it wasn't even close in the pure muscle department.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, Pete's strength has seemed to creep down. Kind of like how Luke Cage's strength has creeped up and up over the years and Cap is full on super strong himself now.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has mainstream comics ever shown a character to use the teleportation superpower offensively, like how Vision and Kitty Pryde phase into someone to hurt them? I mean, telefragging would be overpowered as hell.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Schneider Heim posted:

Has mainstream comics ever shown a character to use the teleportation superpower offensively, like how Vision and Kitty Pryde phase into someone to hurt them? I mean, telefragging would be overpowered as hell.

AoA Nightcrawler teleported a shark inside AoA Blob in Uncanny X-Force, so, yes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler came over to 616 he would do things like that. And teleport off people's limbs.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm familiar with the shark, but I was thinking more along the lines of "teleport into where your enemy is standing and explosively displace them as you occupy their space" or something.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm familiar with the shark, but I was thinking more along the lines of "teleport into where your enemy is standing and explosively displace them as you occupy their space" or something.

Who's to say what the effect of an irl telefrag would be? For all the teleporter knows, they could go boom too, or even be the only one to go boom. It's not a smart idea to make yourself a physics bomb if you aren't 100% sure of what'll happen.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Schneider Heim posted:

Nightcrawler has said he's terrified of teleporting into something because he'd be stuck inside it. I'd assume the same thing would happen with a person.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

10 Beers posted:

Nightcrawler has said he's terrified of teleporting into something because he'd be stuck inside it. I'd assume the same thing would happen with a person.

He was lucky the Blob had that giant empty cavern inside his body that he could teleport into.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Schneider Heim posted:

I don't think the Marvel Universe operates on Mortal Kombat rules of physics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh! There was also that time in eXiles when Blink got mind controlled into portal cutting a bunch of people.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

10 Beers posted:

Iron Man #220:

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Spider-Man & Black Cat has this as a plot point.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Is this the same Ghost that would later shoe up in Thunderbolts?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr. Hurt posted:

Is this the same Ghost that would later shoe up in Thunderbolts?

I believe so, yes. This was before he was super-psychologically-messed-up. He made a great enemy for Iron Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember one of the first Spider-Man annuals (maybe the very first one) had one of those "behind the scenes" features which explained Spider-Man's powers, gadgets, friends, enemies etc. and it said at one point that the only superheroes physically stronger than him were Thor, Hulk and the Thing. Don't know if that's because there just weren't as many Marvel superheroes about at the time, though.

Stan probably just forgot that Namor, Iron Man, Giant-Man etc. existed. :v:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember one of the first Spider-Man annuals (maybe the very first one) had one of those "behind the scenes" features which explained Spider-Man's powers, gadgets, friends, enemies etc. and it said at one point that the only superheroes physically stronger than him were Thor, Hulk and the Thing. Don't know if that's because there just weren't as many Marvel superheroes about at the time, though.

I remember one that said "Spiderman isnt as strong as Thor, Hulk or The Thing... But he is strong enough to lift them!" with an illustration of the three of them standing on a platform with Spidey straining to carry it on his back underneath. This would probably have been in the 90's that I saw it, but it was a hardback annual in the UK so it could have been a reprint from literally any time at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Fleer '94 Spider-man set has the best measures and examples of his abilities. I'll see if I can dredge it up.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Schneider Heim posted:

616 Nightcrawler teleported Nimrod's arms off once.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Patrick Spens posted:

616 Nightcrawler teleported Nimrod's arms off once.

Yeah but it was sticking out of his own chest at the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AoA Nightcrawler stole Deadpool's head.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the late '80s, Iron Man and Spider-Man were about equally strong. Shellhead didn't get an insane power bump until Bendis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

In the late '80s, Iron Man and Spider-Man were about equally strong. Shellhead didn't get an insane power bump until Bendis.

Nah, he's had armors with insane levels of strength long before Bendis.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The idea that Spider-Man is Thor/Hulk-level strong but pulls his punches (to the degree that he doesn't even knock regular people out when he hits them) relies, I think, on two things. First, that there aren't that many characters on that tier. "The Thing, Hulk, and Thor" is one thing, but today? Which version of the Hulk, who quite famously has varying amounts of strength? For that matter, which Hulk? Which Thor? What about Beta Ray Bill, or She-Hulk, or Iron Man? What about Iron Man in Hulkbuster or Thorbuster armor? Phoenixbuster? What about the Phoenix? Apocalypse? Onslaught? Thanos? Galactus? The Silver Surfer? And isn't this getting really silly?

Secondly and more importantly, you can dodge that first question to your heart's content when Spider-Man is not a team player and sticks to his own street level stuff 99% of the time. You can bust out a "oh yeah, Spidey's much stronger than he usually lets on" shock and awe moment in Secret Wars or some other massive crossover as a cool bit (remember that massive crossovers are not a bi-yearly thing back then), but you don't have to answer if Spider-Man can punch out Dormammu when Spider-Man is simply never going to fight Dormammu. But these days, with Spider-Man on the Avengers and showing up in every crossover every six months? That's gonna come up. (I'm not even reaching here; Blackheart shows up in Spider-Man #1, and no, Pete can't punch him out.) And you don't want him to be the strong Avenger because that's exactly what Thor and Hulk are for and if you're writing a story where Spider-Man's best possible contribution to a situation is by punching something really hard, you've written a bad story. So you tone the strength down, possibly without even realizing you're doing it, and that's where we are today.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Spider-Man being so strong made more sense when he was THE Marvel character, coming up short only to Batman and Superman, but he hasn't really been in that position in awhile.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man's strength has gone down considerably since the 70s. He used to be able to take out The Avengers or The X-men by himself, now he'd get obliterated if he tried to take Colossus in a straight fight.

Strength isn't the only thing that matters in fights. Spidey wins most of his fights due to speed/agility and his webbing. If he just stood there and traded punches, Colossus would crush his skull with the first one, but he's gonna be jumping around.

Spidey's always been in the 10-ish ton range as far as strength goes.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but it was sticking out of his own chest at the time.

Rereading Claremont, he did do this in Nimrod's first appearance

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

An easy way to make certain nerds mad would be to bring up the time he beat up Firelord. One of my favorite things about Brevoort's old formspring account, was when nerds would try and get him to be the arbiter of their power level pissing match. Usually had to do with worldbreaker Hulk and a cosmic being.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's this page I think:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

It's this page I think:

Disco Jesus is strong, but Disco Jesus doesn't show off.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

remusclaw posted:

Disco Jesus is strong, but Disco Jesus doesn't show off.

People like to bag on Wundarr, but I think I've liked most of the stories I've read with him in them. Everyone remembers the beard and sleeves, but no one remembers the infant-brained Kal-El being babysat by Namorita.

ETA: I went and checked, and yeah, a lot of those early appearances were written by Steve Gerber and Mark Gruenwald, who I love, and the Captain America annual written by the criminally underrated Peter B. Gillis had the Shaper of Worlds and the Cosmic Cube in it (I think this was where it was first revealed that the Cube was a baby Shaper? I can't remember offhand) and was pretty cool, to me.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 18, 2017

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

It's this page I think:

Who is the woman in the Heavyweights tier? Thundarra?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That's Doc Samson.

It's Thundra

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Who's the tallest super hero? Also, who's the fattest super hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pat Mustard posted:

Who's the tallest super hero? Also, who's the fattest super hero?

Hank Pym