Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Let me turn off animation, don't slow the game down, and we're probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

odiv posted:

Also it needs actual stops and phases instead of Duels's stupid arcadey compromise system.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Apparently it is a full rules implementation.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Not even MTGO has that.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Will Duels have whitelisting for the pros?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

odiv posted:

In Duels the problem is that your opponent didn't necessarily turn off animations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

odiv posted:

Attorney at Funk posted:

Also it needs actual stops and phases instead of Duels's stupid arcadey compromise system.

MTGO is a really slow game, like it's just super sluggish and sometimes it feels like I'm streaming it from the Moon. On the other hand, I had a lot of turns in Duels where I just had nothing to do, my opponent had nothing to do, and it felt like it took forever to get through those turns.

They're somehow going to make a program that eats up 3.5GB of RAM and takes 14 seconds to process a turn where both players have F6ed.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

odiv posted:

Not even MTGO has that.

lmao

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I'm extremely excited about these deep gameplay experiences in Magic worlds and fiction on diverse gaming platforms and genres

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's cool that they wrote up a bunch of business buzzwords in a completely arbitrary order but didn't answer the one actual question that people have of "what happens to my collection?"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

little munchkin posted:

it's cool that they wrote up a bunch of business buzzwords in a completely arbitrary order but didn't answer the one actual question that people have of "what happens to my collection?"

Any move to a more casual-friendly platform means either a loss of your collection or a huge loss in value due to things being easier to obtain. Anyone thinking they're going to come out of it with the value of their collection intact is delusional.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The fact that the leagues are part of digital next leads me to believe it's just the next MTGO version as far as that goes. I'd be shocked at a full new client.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Alaan posted:

The fact that the leagues are part of digital next leads me to believe it's just the next MTGO version as far as that goes. I'd be shocked at a full new client.
The WoTC president said it was a new platform - a the very least they're redoing the entire frontend and business model.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The WoTC president said it was a new platform - a the very least they're redoing the entire frontend and business model.

They might have used "platform" as another meaningless buzz word. Lord knows that statement was full of meaningless garbage.

Or maybe they just mean Tablet MTGO. Or PS4/XBONE MTGO

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Hellsau posted:

They might have used "platform" as another meaningless buzz word. Lord knows that statement was full of meaningless garbage.

Or maybe they just mean Tablet MTGO. Or PS4/XBONE MTGO
This is a quote from the president speaking at the toy fair or whatever they presented it at, not the article. There's apparently also some more elaborate animations than anything in Duels:
https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/832612913454186496

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ein Sexmonster posted:

This is a quote from the president speaking at the toy fair or whatever they presented it at, not the article. There's apparently also some more elaborate animations than anything in Duels:
https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/832612913454186496

Dragons coming out of cards?! My god. That's truly advanced and not at all irritating. It's cool once, maybe twice, and then is extremely tedious to sit through.

Calling it now, if they add fancy animations like that, MTGO will have to load each and every animation from the server every time your client starts.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Legit disappointed we're never getting augmented reality cards

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It would make zero sense for them to come out with this new product which is supposed to bridge the gap from duels and stick to the modo business model for it. If it's the continuatiin of modo, there's going to have to be some major changes in how modo operates.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
The real farce is that we are expecting WoTC to do something cool & good

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

After posting this last night I ripped out 1 stasis snare, 1 ruinous path and 1 sacrifice a creature thing and added 3 anguished unmakings. I'm not sure if bolting myself will be bad but the card is too useful to leave out.

If you are only two color I think you can get away with running ruinous path and stasis snare. I made the switch because double black and white on 3 mana cost was brutal.
Running two is also probably a lot safer than running three. You are also running planeswalkers and Ballista so hitting delirium for To the Slaughter might be really good for you.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

80s James Hetfield posted:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

80s James Hetfield posted:

Hey man, they took the risk of jumping forward to :krad: 90s insert foiling technology.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Hey man, they took the risk of jumping forward to :krad: 90s insert foiling technology.

They literally did this in the 90s? Or are you referring to something new foil thing?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm guessing its just V.5.

The picture they used at the Toy Fair =

If it looks and plays like Duels, the game will die off digitally because Duels is terrible for competitive play.

Hmmm, Damag....

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Hmmm, Damag....

According to someone who was there, it's just mid animation- the e hasn't faded in yet.

I have little faith in wotc to actually make a good product, but watching them try to replace MTGO without cheesing off everyone should be entertaining.
They are 100% going to change the business model though. Hasbro isn't going to let HS level money sit around untapped.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I don't give a gently caress, holofoils would be dope.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
The best thing about the Magic Digital Next picture is that it's being displayed on what looks like an old Apple monitor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you have a modo collection worth any amount of money don't have this expectation that its going to hold its value. That is just silly. If you are going to be crushed if you lose all your "invested value" I would advise you to sell it all now. Digital "investments" are even larger risk than physical ones.

All of you with thousands invested, RIP.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Sickening posted:

If you have a modo collection worth any amount of money don't have this expectation that its going to hold its value. That is just silly. If you are going to be crushed if you lose all your "invested value" I would advise you to sell it all now. Digital "investments" are even larger risk than physical ones.

All of you with thousands invested, RIP.

They're going to gently caress this part up so badly. Magic Digital Next is going to be Digital Chronicles and then we're going to get the Online Reserved List. Welcome to Hell.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Or they'll go to a completely subscription based system and there won't even be such a thing as an online collection. :allears:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Welcome to the MTGO subscription Gold Level!

For the month of FEBRUARY you have been allocated the following:
Draft tokens: 3
Standard Deck: Temur Energy
Frontier Deck: Burn
Modern Deck: Infect
Legacy Deck: Miracles
Vintage Deck: None (You must be Platinum Level or greater to qualify for a Vintage Deck)

Thank you for your subscription!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Obviously what they're going to do is have MTGO stay how it is and have a new, subscription-based version completely separate from MTGO.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

odiv posted:

Legacy Deck: Miracles

Worth every penny.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I'd happily pay a sub to have access to everything in modern and standard.

I really hope the animations don't slow the game play way down, I don't like HS or Eternal much because of that . I don't need to see my 2/3 bump into another 2/3 with a 10 second animation every turn when I'm playing standard. I just want to play a lot of games at a quick speed online.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Where's the best place to sell mtgo tickets currently? Looks like a lot of the main chains are buying tickets at 90 cents a ticket but passing the PayPal fees on to the customer. I see mtgo tickets is doing 88 cents on the ticket without any fees.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hey everyone!

As promised earlier in the thread, here is the demographic inclusiveness survey that I am conducting as part of a research project.

As noted, all data collected is for internal use in this project only and will be kept completely confidential. Thanks in advance to everyone who participates.

I'll be distributing this to several other community networks so I'm hoping to see a lot of responses to it over the next while!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mikujin posted:

Hey everyone!

As promised earlier in the thread, here is the demographic inclusiveness survey that I am conducting as part of a research project.

As noted, all data collected is for internal use in this project only and will be kept completely confidential. Thanks in advance to everyone who participates.

I'll be distributing this to several other community networks so I'm hoping to see a lot of responses to it over the next while!

One down!

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Mikujin posted:

Hey everyone!

As a 34 year old for a few more months I really appreciated your age brackets.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Hey everyone!

i just turned 25, thinks for making me feel middle-aged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Hey everyone!

The "How often do you play Magic" question needs a "less than once per week" option, it's rare I get to play these days and pretty much just do pre-release events, none of those options fit.

• Locked thread