Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I was trying to play classes other than MNK this morning and just couldn't almost entirely because of Shoulder Tackle

I hope RDM has that kind of mobility

The reason that DRK is my preferred tank class.

The day they removed the 10y minimum range to use Shoulder Tackle was a good day, I tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

I was trying to play classes other than MNK this morning and just couldn't almost entirely because of Shoulder Tackle

I hope RDM has that kind of mobility

The only thing that'd make Shoulder Tackle even better would be if MNK also had an oGCD that gave them distance like Repelling Shot so you could jump back out of an AOE and then tackle right back in like in A10S.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For people who haven't seen it yet, this is almost the sum total of what we know about RDM: https://streamable.com/25l4x

This is the rest:

(Yes, they are _always_ this tight-lipped.)

Wouldn't be surprised if what we saw in the MSQ is the rough draft of RDM's LB3 too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cheetah7071 posted:

How often are you actually using Shoulder Tackle as a gap closer on cooldown?

It makes me feel better about using Shoulder Tackle for DPS just because I've got much better odds of it being back in time for the next gap close. Less likely on DRG, especially when they count for more as part of the damage rotation, it seems to me.

(I'd like to be convinced to play DRG, believe me; I prefer their slower GCD and overall aesthetic. MNK mobility just plain feels better though!)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 18, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

It makes me feel better about using Shoulder Tackle for DPS just because I've got much better odds of it being back in time for the next gap close. Less likely on DRG, especially when they count for more as part of the damage rotation, it seems to me.

(I'd like to be convinced to play DRG, believe me; MNK mobility just plain feels better though!)

MNK mobility is better, but not by all that much honestly and the punishment for losing uptime is much lower on DRG. When I was still raiding (so possibly this doesn't apply to creator savage though I'd be surprised), the most satisfying parts of learning a fight for me were learning the ins and outs of when I can use spineshatter dive, dragonfire dive, and blood of the dragon so that I never lose uptime. Then of course I'd be the one targeted with Earthshakers in T13 and all my carefully memorized cooldown planning would go in the toilet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess that's the difference between us, then: I don't find timing blood of the dragon in encounters satisfying in any real sense, whereas I find keeping GL3 going through a jump or between pulls very much satisfying. (Even if I have to outpull the tank to do it :bahgawd:)

Geirskogul is great though. Argh now I'm conflicted :(

(edit) That said I did Zurvan normal for the first time last night and oh my god are those Soar phases unfriendly to both classes, yeeesh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Guess that's the difference between us, then: I don't find timing blood of the dragon in encounters satisfying in any real sense, whereas I find keeping GL3 going through a jump or between pulls very much satisfying. (Even if I have to outpull the tank to do it :bahgawd:)

Geirskogul is great though. Argh now I'm conflicted :(

(edit) That said I did Zurvan normal for the first time last night and oh my god are those Soar phases unfriendly to both classes, yeeesh.

Keeping BotD through the boss falling down without sacrificing a geirskogul is so tight that it can come down to your skill speed stat, or whether you have a selene out giving you a speed boost. Then, regardless of whether or not you keep it up, you need to make a snap judgment on whether the party is going to skip soar--if they are, BotD is coming off cooldown right then and you can geirskogul down to zero and use it. If you aren't skipping soar then you need to save it for after soar. It doesn't help that using BotD increases your damage so I've several times convinced myself that if I push really hard we'll just barely skip soar and waste BotD chasing that.

It's been a while but I think second soar lines up pretty well with the BotD cooldown so it isn't as big of an issue.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess that's true that at least DRG can recover from a boss jump by virtue of BotD coming off cooldown eventually. MNK is just straight up hosed on every Soar, unless I really missed something.

I don't even have DRG geared past 225 or so so this is a bit moot, I guess :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's one of the biggest complaints about monk right now - they have no way to maintain GL during boss jumps, and the cooldown on PB is so long that any boss with frequent jumps kills their dps. They're the only DPS class that has such a huge problem with it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Ciaphas posted:

I guess that's true that at least DRG can recover from a boss jump by virtue of BotD coming off cooldown eventually. MNK is just straight up hosed on every Soar, unless I really missed something.

I don't even have DRG geared past 225 or so so this is a bit moot, I guess :v:

Well, there's perfect balance. And at least form shift ensure you can always start off with 1 stack of GL rolling.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's one of the biggest complaints about monk right now - they have no way to maintain GL during boss jumps, and the cooldown on PB is so long that any boss with frequent jumps kills their dps. They're the only DPS class that has such a huge problem with it.

Maybe the ability to sacrifice a chakra charge for one application of GL? Then with Form Shift, you could always get back into the fight with two stacks for any jump that is sufficiently long enough that you'll lose GL (which means you'll definitely have time to charge up chakra).

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 18, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of MNK, we have some babby MNKs coming up, and I don't want to lead them wrong. Does GL apply before Demolish/Snap Punch/Rockbreaker do their effect or after?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....Well, I would think that you'd be doing Elusive -> Spineshatter. Power Surge boost it too, after all.

but this would lower DRG's overall DPS because Spineshatter has less Potency.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

Maybe the ability to sacrifice a chakra charge for one application of GL? Then with Form Shift, you could always get back into the fight with two stacks for any jump that is sufficiently long enough that you'll lose GL (which means you'll definitely have time to charge up chakra).

I think they need to make some fundamental changes to GL or just get rid of it, because it's really not an interesting mechanic at all. You do your normal rotation to maintain it, and you can't expend it in any way except when the boss is about to jump or die. It's literally just "are you punching the boss y/n".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looking at the system requirements for Stormblood on steam and it says it requires 60gb of hard drive space. I hope that just means that's the total size of the game with the expansion, and that it's not 60gb in addition to ARR & HW.

I mean it can't be, right? That'd be a real big expansion

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

I think they need to make some fundamental changes to GL or just get rid of it, because it's really not an interesting mechanic at all. You do your normal rotation to maintain it, and you can't expend it in any way except when the boss is about to jump or die. It's literally just "are you punching the boss y/n".

Yes, it's basically a confirmation that you are punching buttons correctly and rewards you for doing so by increasing your DPS even more. I don't think that's an inherently bad thing. I'll admit I get annoyed by fights that have unavoidable stack drops even if your timing is flawless (Arachne Eve :orks:). And also when I fat finger a Tornado Kick randomly into my rotation. :negative: It's still for the most part a class feature that makes monk feel more involved than just "push buttons, make numbers".

Keeping your stacks up for an entire fight that includes multiple jumps that are just barely doable feels pretty good, too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

Yes, it's basically a confirmation that you are punching buttons correctly and rewards you for doing so by increasing your DPS even more. I don't think that's an inherently bad thing. I'll admit I get annoyed by fights that have unavoidable stack drops even if your timing is flawless (Arachne Eve :orks:). And also when I fat finger a Tornado Kick randomly into my rotation. :negative: It's still for the most part a class feature that makes monk feel more involved than just "push buttons, make numbers".

Keeping your stacks up for an entire fight that includes multiple jumps that are just barely doable feels pretty good, too.

Yeah, GL might not be interesting but it helps the feel of MNK being 'slow to start up but then you get into the rhythm and JAM' class. Baking GL's effects into the class would just turn them into a different flavor of Ninja.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I loving love using Overwhelm as a Ninja in PVP and I feel lost without it when I'm not doing PVP content now. Being able to have a Shoulder Tackle-like ability is really loving nice, especially when it's so effective at incapacitating enemies. Ill Wind is nice too, but has a bit of a longer cooldown, so... yeah, Overwhelm is loving awesome.

Also, I kinda like the Filibuster sets.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's really cool that there are a bunch of pvp abilities that would be insanely useful for pve, and a bunch of pve abilities that are only useful in pvp.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'll admit I only decided to try FFXIV because I read the monk description and thought "speed up per skill combo? I want to be the Fist of the North Star thanks" and never looked back.

I was so sad to find out it only stacked 3 times :(

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

How often are you actually using Shoulder Tackle as a gap closer on cooldown?

A10S, A11S, A12S

Having two of them with longer cooldowns is still probably better, and Shukuchi is still probably good enough, in case anybody was risking tripping and falling into the Meme Class.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ibblebibble posted:

I'll admit I only decided to try FFXIV because I read the monk description and thought "speed up per skill combo? I want to be the Fist of the North Star thanks" and never looked back.

....Would you like some Arrows? :unsmigghh:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ibblebibble posted:

Monk is less FotNS and more Dragonball.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

GL 3 plus Enhanced Arrow card =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZeD40Rg8A&t=33s

slev
Apr 6, 2009

that video goes on longer than your tp would last

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Bleu posted:

Having two of them with longer cooldowns is still probably better, and Shukuchi is still probably good enough, in case anybody was risking tripping and falling into the Meme Class.

Shukuchi totally does the job but it has a stupidly long animation at the start, so it's kind of annoying to use.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

slev posted:

that video goes on longer than your tp would last

Most monks actually dont use the full effect of that combo (gl3 + enhanced arrow) because ive never seen a monk in DF go below 60% TP.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah sorry Bleu I'm stuck in the memepit, DRG doesn't feel good to me to play at all :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

I have fun going in to the last phase of A11S with 0-15 seconds left on PB's cooldown.

Fun. That's the f-word I'm looking for... yeah.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....Would you like some Arrows? :unsmigghh:

Arrow is only an issue for MNK in places like A9S because it's an absolutely zero downtime fight. A10-12S have lots of forced downtime for TP regen where you don't end up needing multiple people to feed you TP like in A9S. Even a couple forced GCD misses due to AOE or boss movement makes a huge difference, to say nothing of the breaks you get forced in to against Cruise Chaser.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I hope they buff the gently caress out of monk so I can switch back. DRG is good and all but I miss the flow of the monk rotation.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
"What new fresh hells awaits us in A12S"?
"Your MT is going to get fist-hosed by the first cleave+Punishing Heat and you're going to laugh your rear end off at it."

This was 100% accurate.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ciaphas posted:

(Even if I have to outpull the tank to do it :bahgawd:)

I get this with my Huton all the time and I think just in the last few days I've finally snapped and decided to just pull. Look man, I only got 12 seconds left and I need to get all the way to Armor Crush. So if you're gonna go grab a snack between each pull, we're gonna have a problem. So gently caress it: Shadewalker and then I'm pulling the boss.

See also: Me starting up Suiton thinking the tank is gonna pull the boss only for them to wait an extra 6 seconds first.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually now I'm thinking I might wanna play NIN instead. I can't ever make up my mind on classes god drat :saddowns:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Actually now I'm thinking I might wanna play NIN instead. I can't ever make up my mind on classes god drat :saddowns:
I have an idea: play them all

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ciaphas posted:

Pros:
-You get the running animation
-You get the little flip jump
-You are the most anime

Cons:
-Scroll back and see the 270 anima

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
To be fair, the wing spine dagger thingies are one of the better models overall, even if the end product is a wet fart of mediocrity.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SL the Pyro posted:

"What new fresh hells awaits us in A12S"?
"Your MT is going to get fist-hosed by the first cleave+Punishing Heat and you're going to laugh your rear end off at it."

This was 100% accurate.

Then two of your DPS are gonna get fist-hosed by Burning Scourge, then the other six of you will get fist-hosed by Incinerating Heat, then all of you will get fist-hosed together by back-to-back Mega Holies.

I like A12S.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I actually ended up liking the nin daggers. They look a fair bit better in game than they do in screenshots. Low end of the relics but still fine looking weapons on their own.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
TP is garbage and should be removed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I have an idea: play them all

way ahead of ya!!

(whm and pld are so booriiiiiing)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, because I hate myself I've decided to start working on an anima relic. After burning up all my poetics, lore, beast tokens, allied seals, and a few bits from treasure maps I did a while back I have.... 9 bones, 5 shells, 5 ore, 8 seeds. Not bad I guess? Can't help the feeling I should've spent the lore on something else. I guess I should start doing dragonskin maps for more shells and ore.

I assume there isn't really a way to speed this up too much, is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Start buying umbrites with your lore and start doing the Crystal Tower weekly for the aether oils. This gives you a head start on the next two steps.

Beast tribes, poetics and Alex: Gordias runs will get you the rest of the Unid tokens. Maps too if you want.

• Locked thread