Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I really, really want to hear the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Cyborg free, bitches

http://ufc.usada.org/cristiane-justino-cleared-of-potential-anti-doping-policy-violation/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Marching Powder posted:

I really, really want to hear the reason.

I mean, this part makes it seem like at least the records were convincing, so unless USADA uses Chael's tiny balls doctor to do reviews or her own doctors are very good at faking charts, there was something in there that was legitimate to them(bolding mine):

quote:

Under the UFC TUE Policy, to receive approval of a TUE, athletes must submit medical records demonstrating a verifiable medical diagnosis and legitimate medical need for the requested medication in accordance with the applicable WADA guidelines. At least two members of USADA’s independent TUE Committee (TUEC) – comprised of medical experts with various areas of expertise from around the U.S. – must individually review the TUE application, after which a recommendation is made to USADA as to whether the TUE should be granted or denied.

In the case of Justino, the application for a TUE was granted because the athlete had an unequivocally diagnosed chronic medical condition for which the use of Spironolactone is the appropriate standard of care. Further, it was determined that the athlete and her medical team pursued and exhausted all non-prohibited alternatives and that the low dose of the medication is consistent with best medical practice to treat her condition and would return the athlete to a normal state of health without providing a performance-enhancing benefit.

That's pretty strong language if the evidence is weak.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

Cyborg just got a retroactive TUE from USADA. She's clear to fight.

https://twitter.com/usantidoping/status/832710026489794561

if she has a condition that really does require it then i suppose thats fair. whether or not she was using it to cheat or not is another matter but at least in the future she'll be bound by a tue stating when she can take it and how often as well as doseage

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Cybort is finally free to turn down fights again. Thank god.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Work Friend Keven posted:

this is a much better analysis of the situation

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CVagts posted:

The retroactive part is what stinks to me. If she didn't have it at the time, they should have docked her for SOMETHING at least.

There's nothing wrong with letting a TUE be retroactive if its valid. The athlete is taking an enormous risk by not getting cleared first and even if they get the retroactive TUE, its after suspension and probably paying lawyers and doctors to investigate.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CVagts posted:

The retroactive part is what stinks to me. If she didn't have it at the time, they should have docked her for SOMETHING at least.

its ufc policy.. i dont agree with it either but its not like they moved any goalposts

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lol

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cyborg would beat GSP

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Dave posted:

Cyborg would beat GSP

Nope

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

1st AD posted:

Sage and Colby are really perfect and I would love to become good friends with them

would like to go muddin' with them

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Dave posted:

Cyborg would beat GSP

*posting from 2014 but it got lost in the dark Web and only showed up today* Ronda Rousey could beat Cain Velasquez.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Horiguchi gone, turned down UFC's offer.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Literally their best prospect by a mile and great striker.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I really hope GSP's first fight isn't Bisping, that is the least appealing "superfight" I've ever heard of

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Also now that Cyborg is back for sure, i'm curious to see how Germaine keeps ducking her

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lid posted:

drat

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

A lot of weird news. That sucks about Horiguchi.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
It's good that other orgs are getting legit sick fighters and not just old legends and dudes no one cares about but it's also bad because just following the ufc has become nearly impossible at this point.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Beautiful.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

It's good that other orgs are getting legit sick fighters and not just old legends and dudes no one cares about but it's also bad because just following the ufc has become nearly impossible at this point.

A single league can never be even remotely fair to the athletes unless they have a union. Even then it probably wouldn't be but closer maybe.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

chaleski posted:

Also now that Cyborg is back for sure, i'm curious to see how Germaine keeps ducking her

"I want to fight Holly again because my win was criticised"

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CVagts posted:

Yeah, it seems fishy that she has a legit medical issue requiring a banned medication but only applied for a TUE after getting caught for it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The explanation from her physician is that it was an emergency condition requiring the drug. Clearly the paperwork checked out and an athlete if they are in a condition where they require a banned drug shouldn't have to wait on a bureaucracy to allow them. That's the point of the retroactive TUE.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It all seems stupid and fishy to me too, but :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Le Saboteur posted:

The explanation from her physician is that it was an emergency condition requiring the drug. Clearly the paperwork checked out and an athlete if they are in a condition where they require a banned drug shouldn't have to wait on a bureaucracy to allow them. That's the point of the retroactive TUE.

Then her duty was to report it to USADA immediately instead of waiting til she tested positive.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Lid posted:

Apparently Krylov is gone as well

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Holly's appeal will go through resulting in a draw for the 145 belt and then Cyborg can fight Holly for the belt, imo.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

delete LHW

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Move over new stars we're all in on Jon Jones

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

This is truly a crazy time for this dumb sport.

Every time I come back to this thread after a few hours something has happened. First GSP, then Cyborg and UFC dumping a bunch of talent.

It's only a matter of time before Tank Abbott's return. I can feel it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Seems like UFC is actually listening to this thread and completely getting rid of LHW.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

seriously just make Rumble vs. DC interim heavyweight title

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
UFC has managed to become Strikeforce and are giving themselves the possibility of making Bellator viable by just giving away potential futures. McGregor, GSP and Ronda weren't created in a vacuum, they needed time to develop and emerge as the person of their time and place.

Instead we're one step away from UFC poaching Fedor from Bellator in the hopes to pop a buyrate, hell Cyborg is a case of this inventing a division just to showcase someone who will turn down the fight anyway, while Bellator pick up all the actual prospects and the divisions stagnate.

WME IMG is trying to Boxercise UFC, and it will be the death of the company if they go down this path.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Lid posted:

WME IMG is trying to Boxercise UFC, and it will be the death of the company if they go down this path.

That's two stupid things you've said in both this and the B league thread.

Can you stop posting for a while?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Thrifting Day! posted:

That's two stupid things you've said in both this and the B league thread.

Can you stop posting for a while?

Constant interim titles making the belts meaningless

Letting go of young fighters while signing stars to marquee matches

Vanity weight classes

Having no direction if one of their stars goes awol

yes very stupid guy

edit: oh and champs picking their opponents, in other divisions

Lid fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
What's Shogun ranked after all the cuts? Six or something?

• Locked thread