Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

dreffen posted:

Personally I'd like to see a return to "you flaming idiots!" Level of goofy.

GooooOOOOoooOoooooOoO! Ye children of the Yellow Turban!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

dreffen posted:

Personally I'd like to see a return to "you flaming idiots!" Level of goofy.

I don't think it could happen-not without mega-DLC levels of effort, and it wouldn't be the same, exactly. Too much winking at the camera.

It was effectively a product of it's time and it's lack of budget/effort/talent at the time. They dubbed/translated the main text, officers, and briefings, but kept the battle yells in Japanese.(Of course now they translate the text and not the dialogue at all now....at least with side offerings.)

4 was when they made something of an actual effort.

Of course some things were deliberate even then.

Consider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

Now, listen to it in french.

https://youtu.be/cUXZx1-qYoM?t=21

The intonation and amateurishness is exact enough that it must have been deliberate direction.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I would like a return of the cutscene thing that let you put any character in any cutscene so Guan Yu would be riding to kill Guan Yu or something.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Lunethex posted:

I would like a return of the cutscene thing that let you put any character in any cutscene so Guan Yu would be riding to kill Guan Yu or something.

He's so thoughtful about the whole thing. Dong Zhuo in every scene is pretty great too.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Lunethex posted:

I am my own opponent? Ha, this will be difficult!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What can cause Officers to die in DW8E? There's an option to allow officer deaths during a campaign and I always have it on but I don't think I ever saw an officer die.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Jack Trades posted:

What can cause Officers to die in DW8E? There's an option to allow officer deaths during a campaign and I always have it on but I don't think I ever saw an officer die.

Execute them when you capture them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PureRok posted:

Execute them when you capture them.

Duh. I feel stupid now.

I just never did that cause if you pick the other option then there's a chance that they'll join you.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Rulers that have titles that bend them to Neutral or Evil will do a lot more executions; hiring and releasing are inherently Good, and the AI will act to maintain it's alignment. Thus, executions. This mainly comes up if you're serving them. I'm not convinced the AI does much of anything if you're not in the faction/kingdom/whatever.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Unless I'm going for a good ending I normally execute everyone at the end of the game to cut down officers running around,

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a gundam musou on ps4? I've been playing samurai 4 empires but otherwise I haven't played a musou game in years.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a gundam musou on ps4? I've been playing samurai 4 empires but otherwise I haven't played a musou game in years.

I think there is one, but I doubt it will get a western release. Not sure if it's out yet in Japan if importing is an option for you. Fate Extella is a pretty good musou game that came out recently. It trades a bit of the mission objective and enemy variety of a Dynasty Warriors game for a much faster pace.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Nope. The last Gundam Musou was Reborn, they haven't put one out or announced one since then.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Gundam Breaker 3 is arguably a better Gundam Musou than most Gundam Musous.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I think completing assassination missions against named officers will also kill them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Is there a good timeline of the scenarios for each faction's story mode in DW8:XL? I'd like to play through it chronologically alongside ROTK 13, mostly to vary things up but also to be able to compare the two and see where there are similarities (do not pursue lu bu) and differences (cao cao can't singlehandedly kill ten thousand people in a single combo chain in ROTK).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is there a good timeline of the scenarios for each faction's story mode in DW8:XL? I'd like to play through it chronologically alongside ROTK 13, mostly to vary things up but also to be able to compare the two and see where there are similarities (do not pursue lu bu) and differences (cao cao can't singlehandedly kill ten thousand people in a single combo chain in ROTK).[

This is what makes ROTK the weaker series imho. Not really. I kinda wish I was more into strategy titles because I can see the appeal but every time I've tried to get into one I get glassy eyed and lose interest.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
The Current Hotness in the OP seems to be a bit out of date. I played a couple of these games in about 2013-14, namely WO3, DW7E and DW8XL from memory. What's the recommendation for a PS4 owner? WO3U is probably a safe bet from the looks of it, but the Japanese side of things appeals to me most, so SW4 is an option, but wouldn't be against the most recent Empires either. Standard DW is probably last on the list. Passable co-op is a requirement. Recommendations?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm very lazy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sw4 is good. the co-op in it works fine too, it downgrades the graphics/unit numbers a bit but its very playable

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Davincie posted:

sw4 is good. the co-op in it works fine too, it downgrades the graphics/unit numbers a bit but its very playable

Thanks, might even spring for the Empires version if there is one, enjoyed that sort of stuff.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Is there a good timeline of the scenarios for each faction's story mode in DW8:XL? I'd like to play through it chronologically alongside ROTK 13, mostly to vary things up but also to be able to compare the two and see where there are similarities (do not pursue lu bu) and differences (cao cao can't singlehandedly kill ten thousand people in a single combo chain in ROTK).

Wei>Wu>Shu>Jin IIRC.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Achernar posted:

Wei>Wu>Shu>Jin IIRC.

This is mostly accurate, though the first three take place more or less concurrently. There's also the Lu Bu story, which is pretty early chronologically.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

There's an entire 'encyclopedia' option in the main menu for 8Complete and 8 Empires that tells you pretty much everything you'd want to know. The 'Battles' page in there is probably the most relevant.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
We're getting the Sanada-themed Samurai Warriors spin-off:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/02/16/samurai-warriors-spirit-of-sanada-releases-on-ps4-in-europe-on-26th-may/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yukimura is boring, when's Musou Stars????

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I haven't played a real Warriors game in awhile so I'll probably get Spirit of Sanada. Good stuff Koei.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
It looks like the ROTK13 PUK is out now?

Pro: it's just an expansion instead of a whole new game, cons: expensive and not yet in english?

Can anyone smith some words on how and why it (including the base game, which I haven't played) is better than sphere of influence?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Weird, Sengoku Basara put out a Yukimura themed game fairly recently too.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That's because the NHK has an annual year-long historical drama series, and 2016's was based around the Sanada Clan, with the games functioned as a sort of tie-in since they're all set in the Sengoku period and already feature Yukimura so prominently.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I must admit I didn't enjoy the Samurai Warriors take on it. The whole thing felt really filler-y, too many battles had instant loss conditions (including one particularly egregious example which combined it with stealth), the PS4 Pro really struggled to run it in an ugly 4K mode and most of all it didn't really do much to make Yukimura a more likeable character for me - especially the end of the story.

As for the Sengoku Basara one I didn't bother - there was a limited time trial on PS3 limited to 15 minutes(!) and looking at user reviews the campaign was about 3 hours long.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Since this seems to just be the general place for Koei games rather than strictly musou stuff: what's the best ROTK to get in on for someone who really loves dense strategy games but finds ROTK to be completely impenetrable? Are any of the old SNES ones or something considered classics or should a newcomer just go for ROTK 13 despite its "Mixed" reviews on Steam?

Edit: and if the answer to the question is "ROTK 13", how much would I be shooting myself in the foot if I got the PS4 version (which is 20 bux) instead of the one on Steam (which is more than twice that)?

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 20, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Drone posted:

Since this seems to just be the general place for Koei games rather than strictly musou stuff: what's the best ROTK to get in on for someone who really loves dense strategy games but finds ROTK to be completely impenetrable? Are any of the old SNES ones or something considered classics or should a newcomer just go for ROTK 13 despite its "Mixed" reviews on Steam?

Edit: and if the answer to the question is "ROTK 13", how much would I be shooting myself in the foot if I got the PS4 version (which is 20 bux) instead of the one on Steam (which is more than twice that)?

ROTK X on the PS2 is the best. 13 has the best UI and general user experience but the dueling and debating, the heart and soul of the game, is worse than their original iterations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What's the general consensus on RoTK XI? I reinstalled this weekend and played a bit, my god, I had forgotten how micromanagement heavy it is.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's the best RoTK 'Force' game. X is the best 'Officer' game. That's my understanding of it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah ROTK11 is a very competent turn based strategy game - liked it a lot when I played it several years back.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nioh's William is the final Musou Stars playable character.

Pretty disappointing cast IMO, for every one character I enjoy like William or Nobunyaga there seem to be like three I don't.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is there a reason Berserk isn't on the PSN store? Isn't it supposed to come out tomorrow?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's a bit worrying how little English information in general there has been about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's a bit worrying how little English information in general there has been about it.

The full review copies are out. I mean I can try to answer any questions you have but they amount to "it is 100% generic musou with some violence and a minor change to Musou/Special moves."