Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ScrubLeague posted:

It's weird that you randomly put a 2 at the end of this correct post

Darksiders really isn't that great if you're playing it using a keyboard and mouse.

I hate controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

5 was fine, I'm sorry you play games for the movie that comes packaged with them. 5 might have come packaged with a worse movie, but as a game, 5 is just as good as 4. 6 is where they hosed up

5 had worse gameplay. forced co-op and the worst inventory management system ever resulted in a terribly inferior product. plus there was virtually no depth to the world/characters to draw you in. it all felt stale and boring

it was bad.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

RaySmuckles posted:

5 had worse gameplay. forced co-op and the worst inventory management system ever resulted in a terribly inferior product. plus there was virtually no depth to the world/characters to draw you in. it all felt stale and boring

it was bad.

lol, you don't have any friends to play with and you still can't let go of the fact that video game stories are all bad and don't matter

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the entire resident evil series is about a million times overrated and has been complete garbage from start to finish

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

lol, you don't have any friends to play with and you still can't let go of the fact that video game stories are all bad and don't matter

the story in re4 was bad, but fun which made it enjoyable to play. it wasn't riveting or something i wish to see taught in classrooms around the country. it was just fun.

sorry your friends are all dumb enough to think re5 was a good game.

its whatever though man. glad you enjoyed what is universally considered to be a disappointing game. this is the unpopular opinions thread and you are welcome here.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Space Crabs posted:

the entire resident evil series is about a million times overrated and has been complete garbage from start to finish

I disagree, they made a couple of decent third person shooters in 4 and 5. The rest of the series is complete garbage.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

the story in re4 was bad, but fun which made it enjoyable to play. it wasn't riveting or something i wish to see taught in classrooms around the country. it was just fun.

sorry your friends are all dumb enough to think re5 was a good game.

its whatever though man. glad you enjoyed what is universally considered to be a disappointing game. this is the unpopular opinions thread and you are welcome here.

You don't play stories, hope this helps

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

You don't play stories, hope this helps

what about choose your own adventure books?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

what about choose your own adventure books?

If people would admit that story-based RPGs have more in common with CYOA books than video games I would be very happy

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ScrubLeague posted:

It's weird that you randomly put a 2 at the end of this correct post

darksiders 2 is the better darksiders game

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

If people would admit that story-based RPGs have more in common with CYOA books than video games I would be very happy

i feel like video games are a combination of gameplay and storytelling, both of which can be important to the overall quality of a game. in addition, games where the gameplay feels like acting out a story or participating in one (like a child on a playground).

i guess i just disagree that you can't play a story, though at this stage we are well away from the re franchise.

i think about games like empire: total war where its just a game that takes place "in history" but the gameplay creates the story of your selected and surrounding nations. you can create the story of the poland that conquered europe and india with literally no "story part" of the game. i hesitate to bring up dark souls, but there is very little story telling in that, but it still feels like you're playing and creating your own story. me2 gives that feeling as well, though much more tightly managed way, where you thought your choices could impact how the story would play out.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
donkey kong country is a stupid euro collectathon that people only like because of the graphics, you might as well play james pond or zool

samurai shodown 2 is better than super street fighter 2

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

i feel like video games are a combination of gameplay and storytelling, both of which can be important to the overall quality of a game. in addition, games where the gameplay feels like acting out a story or participating in one (like a child on a playground).

i guess i just disagree that you can't play a story, though at this stage we are well away from the re franchise.

i think about games like empire: total war where its just a game that takes place "in history" but the gameplay creates the story of your selected and surrounding nations. you can create the story of the poland that conquered europe and india with literally no "story part" of the game. i hesitate to bring up dark souls, but there is very little story telling in that, but it still feels like you're playing and creating your own story. me2 gives that feeling as well, though much more tightly managed way, where you thought your choices could impact how the story would play out.

No, video games are gameplay. People shove film and literature into them because they don't have the creativity to fully embrace the medium they are working in, and have to resort to others.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

No, video games are gameplay. People shove film and literature into them because they don't have the creativity to fully embrace the medium they are working in, and have to resort to others.

i think these are arbitrary restrictions.

some movies have text to describe a setting

some books have pictures

songs can have videos that are considered integral to the song

video games are by definition combined media. it includes gameplay but other things as well

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

feelix posted:

Nah, every aspect of a game contributes to the experience. Whether it's story or music or a bongo drum controller.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

feelix posted:

RE5 is the kind of game you make your loser son play as punishment because he flunked his math class and you don't love him anymore.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Games are Hitler.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Video games have not improved in terms of gameplay since BurgerTime, the best game of all time.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
Do you get a prize for posting the most ridiculous thing? Why are people doing this?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Cis Lord posted:

Do you get a prize for posting the most ridiculous thing? Why are people doing this?

it's a chance to finally say what you really think about video game

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Did anyone say sonic isn't cool yet?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion around here, but I feel like mentioning that the ending of Bioshock Infinite was insultingly stupid.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion around here, but I feel like mentioning that the ending of Bioshock Infinite was insultingly stupid.

It was super garbage. Why not just....convince the dude not to be a dick anymore? Why's he gotta die?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hellsau posted:

It was super garbage. Why not just....convince the dude not to be a dick anymore? Why's he gotta die?

It was a loving grandfather paradox that they just shat out in the middle of the floor and walked away from. Not to mention that no matter what you did in the game you got the same ending, unlike the well-established "how you play determines the ending you get" mechanic of the previous installments in the franchise. I actually really liked the gameplay in Infinite, but holy poo poo did the plot take a nosedive into odious twaddle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shadow the Hedgehog was a fun game with really cool ideas about structure, there were like 30 levels but a full playthrough would only hit 6 or something based on your actions and so there was always more to check out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gex was of the better 3D mascot platformer series and it deserves a new game. unless Dana Gould can't or won't do the voice, in which case forget it

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
All the bioshock games were trash

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It was a loving grandfather paradox that they just shat out in the middle of the floor and walked away from. Not to mention that no matter what you did in the game you got the same ending, unlike the well-established "how you play determines the ending you get" mechanic of the previous installments in the franchise. I actually really liked the gameplay in Infinite, but holy poo poo did the plot take a nosedive into odious twaddle.

Well yeah. It was sort of the point that a lot of your choices didn't have a lasting impact. Constants and variables, my man.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fruit on the bottom posted:

Well yeah. It was sort of the point that a lot of your choices didn't have a lasting impact. Constants and variables, my man.

Exactly, they shat in the middle of the floor and walked away.

a bone to pick posted:

All the bioshock games were trash

Yes, that is an unpopular opinion.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

if you still play video games after playing katamari damacy, just lol

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

get that OUT of my face posted:

Gex was of the better 3D mascot platformer series and it deserves a new game. unless Dana Gould can't or won't do the voice, in which case forget it

gex was the best game on 3DO for sure,but that's not an unpopular opinion

what IS an unpopular opinion is that i had more fun playing bad 3DO games (doom @ 3-12 fps lol) than good n64 games

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

The only reason this is hard at all is because HR is a poorly programmed piece of poo poo that often decides that a tranq dart is enough to straight kill a dude. In the first mission where you rescue the hostages when you go through the warehouse part there's a dude smoking a cigarette off to the side and I've never been able to knock him out without the game just going "haha he's dead now." If the game worked right it would be easy as hell, even the intro (where it doesn't make any sense at all thematically not to kill the guys, but it still counts for the achievement for some reason) is set up so you can just kinda waltz through it without ever getting seen.

This is so awful. I'm not even against missable items generally but don't tie that poo poo back to an achievement.

mankind divided has the same issues with the foxiest of hounds achievement where you can fail without knowing it. i went through the entire game nonlethal/ghost/smooth operator, never got the alarm tutorial pop up and I still didn't get it

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

a bone to pick posted:

Red Faction Guerrilla was the msot technically impressive and innovative games of the past 20 years.

the destruction challenges were the best part of the game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RaySmuckles posted:

the series was already dead. they just reanimated the corpse and pumped it full of crack and lsd and let it do its own thing

4 can't be blamed for everyone having such a good time they kept trying to capture that lightning in a bottle.

resident evil 4 is crap, its not even a resident evil game. TANK CONTROLS.

i wish companies would stop changing games into different genres, then pretend like its a proper sequel

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

that hitler did something wrong

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

alpaca diseases posted:

that hitler did something wrong

Saying that you think Nazis are bad and that Nazi sympathizers are bad people has gotten me chat banned in World of Tanks. Very unpopular opinion, that Nazis are bad.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Max Payne 3 is the probably the best third person shooter ever made.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Overwatch is just TF2 with better graphics and you're a dumbass if you bought it full price.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
SPACEMARINE was a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Deki posted:

Overwatch is just TF2 with better graphics and you're a dumbass if you bought it full price.

This statement is not fair to TF2.