Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

In example, XII Mandragoras is probably the most prime environment for it to shine ever.

Speaking of which, guess what is coming soon to a Ultimate+ fight near you?!

Also to an Apocalypse MO fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So are any of the 6* skills worth honing then? I figured Meltdown would absolutely be worth it, and it seems like if you're going to craft one of the 6* summons, you'd probably want more than 1 cast eventually. And I mean after a point, you aren't going to be doing anything else with those crystals anyway, unless the JP version just keeps coming out with more 6* skills without increasing the supply of crystals at all.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Ive honed snowspell strike, affliction break, and mug bloodlust. I will hone meltdown if they ever get around to giving out any black crystals

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've only ever honed Snowspell Strike. I imagine Omega Drive when it comes out will be another strong candidate for the hones. Affliction Break as well, as many people have pointed out. Other than that most of the skills seem good at r1 or are impossible to hone without farming like Meltdown.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So are any of the 6* skills worth honing then? I figured Meltdown would absolutely be worth it, and it seems like if you're going to craft one of the 6* summons, you'd probably want more than 1 cast eventually. And I mean after a point, you aren't going to be doing anything else with those crystals anyway, unless the JP version just keeps coming out with more 6* skills without increasing the supply of crystals at all.

Meltdown is worth honing, as is one of Snowspell or Northern Cross; beyond that, Curada would be great but bard motes when, and Omega Drive is a strong candidate.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I've honed Mug Bloodlust, Affliction Break, Curada, and Meltdown in Japan and don't regret any of them. I'd hone Mug, Curada, and Meltdown again if I could (Affliction Break is fine at 4 uses).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I don't understand. Why does it matter if they're worse than top tier RMs? They use different slots, there is absolutely no competition between them and RMs.

My point was to give a general idea of the overall power you get from LMs. For most players, a character would not get a slot on your team if all they had to bring to the table was no SB and "Medium chance to self quickcast next turn when using Machinist abilities" (Rikku's new LM from a relic) or "Up to medium increase of MAG based on number of Ice element magic attacks done" (Lulu's new LM). I mean, those are bad. Real bad. If you already have that character with a BSB that benefits from the LM, great- icing on the cake. But you're not going to bring that character if that's ALL they have. That is why I consider LM relics duds that bring down the overall banner quality, because they rely on you ALREADY having great stuff for a character. I know most non-whales are LESS inclined to pull on a banner when they already have great stuff for that realm, and will not pull just to make Lulu's BSB 5% better or whatever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Schwartzcough posted:

I know most non-whales are LESS inclined to pull on a banner when they already have great stuff for that realm, and will not pull just to make Lulu's BSB 5% better or whatever.

We're nearly two years into this game. For longtime players, "I have a lot of synergy for $realm" just isn't a compelling argument against a pull for any but the rarest of realms these days. I have spent thousands upon thousands of mythril. I have a lot of relics and after a certain point, depth does start to become more attractive than breadth.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

My point was to give a general idea of the overall power you get from LMs. For most players, a character would not get a slot on your team if all they had to bring to the table was no SB and "Medium chance to self quickcast next turn when using Machinist abilities" (Rikku's new LM from a relic) or "Up to medium increase of MAG based on number of Ice element magic attacks done" (Lulu's new LM). I mean, those are bad. Real bad. If you already have that character with a BSB that benefits from the LM, great- icing on the cake. But you're not going to bring that character if that's ALL they have. That is why I consider LM relics duds that bring down the overall banner quality, because they rely on you ALREADY having great stuff for a character. I know most non-whales are LESS inclined to pull on a banner when they already have great stuff for that realm, and will not pull just to make Lulu's BSB 5% better or whatever.

They are not useless, yeah, but I will say this banner was the first one I've drawn on since they started doing the LRM slots. And that was mostly just because that Rikku USB is so bananas that I was willing to risk it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sunday cannot get here fast enough. I'm all out of eggs and while I've got great gear for all my FF8 team, I really need to get them all up to 65+

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So with getting the ninja wind spell now and smoldering fire an event or two ago, what's a worthwhile ninja setup for a character?

I have Edge's jacket from the IV event which is pretty nice but man I just can't slot him in anywhere useful and the damage seems kind of underwhelming. Do you just load them up with +mag gear?

I have no other useful ninja things (except Ramza's stuff but he's basically always my support so not counting that).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Combo posted:

So with getting the ninja wind spell now and smoldering fire an event or two ago, what's a worthwhile ninja setup for a character?

I have Edge's jacket from the IV event which is pretty nice but man I just can't slot him in anywhere useful and the damage seems kind of underwhelming. Do you just load them up with +mag gear?

I have no other useful ninja things (except Ramza's stuff but he's basically always my support so not counting that).

Load them up with Mag gear, equip rank 1 Stitch in Time, summon a Mage BSB that does actual good damage.

If you don't have a Mag dagger/thrown/sword, and aren't using onion kid or fuujin, honestly, just ignore ninja as a skills etc outside of gimmicks/sleep.

(If you want to use Edge, for example, just lean on his Cel 5.)

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Combo posted:

Mag gear up to 370, then stack +damage stuff. Also +ninja RMs!

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Thanks to everyone posting about legend materia, it's cleared up a lot of stuff for me. So it's 2 LMs from a grid that you can unlock and a third from gear, correct? That's not as unobtainable as I'd initially assumed when I thought LMs only came from gear.

I can definitely see the appeal of gear LMs for The Character Who Has Everything and it's an interesting system, even though it's pretty shamelessly aimed at whales. I'm not sure if I would be happy about getting LM gear over one with an SB, but I guess it would depend on the character. It seems so situational that there's no universal "chase this for instant win button" since the value of LM gear is entirely dependent on what a player has on an individual basis.

I do agree that it adds some much appreciated depth to the game.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Stitch in time isn't even available to me as I was taking a break from the game when the 5 dooms came out I guess. Only motes I've had are spellblade, thief, and samurai from the torments. So yeah i'll probably just shatter the new wind ability.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Combo posted:

Stitch in time isn't even available to me as I was taking a break from the game when the 5 dooms came out I guess. Only motes I've had are spellblade, thief, and samurai from the torments. So yeah i'll probably just shatter the new wind ability.

The new wind ability is worth keeping relative to other ninja skills because it's wind and Meltdown casts are very finite; unlike other ninja spells, it isn't easily replaced by other schools.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo, I finally got a platinum sword off my last keeper's choice 2 pull.

Now I actually have to think about my RW choice.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is it worth crafting / honing any of the 5-star summons, or am I better off just turning them into greater orbs and R5ing some of the 4-star stuff? Right now I've got:

R4 Valefor, R4 Alexander, R3 Leviathan, R3 Ixion, R1 Carbuncle, and R1 Bahamut.

I crafted Bahamut a long time ago on a whim and kinda regret it since having only one cast means I basically never bring it along, but major orbs are rare enough that I don't want to shatter it, either. I have a couple of freebie R5 summons that got given out - Titan, Tiamat, and Ultima Weapon - and of those, Tiamat seems pretty good and Ultima Weapon is unique for it's dark damage.

Should I shatter Titan? I can't ever see myself honing it, and I have Rinoa's SB if I need to specifically hit an earth weakness with summoning damage. What about Ultima Weapon?

Is there enough difference in potency between Bahamut and Valefor to make honing Bahamut worth it in the long run? Honing 4* stuff to R5 is such a huge jump in cost that it seems hard to justify it, but it's also gonna be a good while before I can hone Bahamut unless that summoning orb daily drops soon.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Bahamut is quite good and R3 is plenty to make it worth carrying; if you don't have the summon orbs now, token farming during the next orbfest should get you there.

Ultima is good because it gives summoners access to an element the school doesn't otherwise have, and doubly good if you use Seymour thanks to his dark SB's and summon 5.

Titan is fine, but fat chocobo means it doesn't have as large of an advantage, and is lowest priority of the three, IMO. If you have an EnEarth BSB like Russia though, go to town.

Tiamat is a trap - it's only really good on Alphinaud with some Mag boosts and his BSB to Enwind. At which point, you're better off just using his burst command 1, or can rely on ether from command 2 if it's AoE and the summon is worth using. Would not suggest honing.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

High damage skills that bring poo poo you cannot replace with other abilities. Or just sweet damage, especially if they add an element a class doesn't have a high damaging skill for yet. Also the second white magic one is ok. Curada or whatever it is, not arise. Good luck honing it to a decent level to heal regularly with though. At least it starts with 4 uses.

Your biggest priorities are the combat magic omega drive and the black magic meltdown.

Omega drive is full charge but hits harder, has a normal cast time and scales with your attack stat. Yeah you have to stack attack buffs to get it to work, but every single combat 5* user can use it, and it's loving strong.

Meltdown is a no holds barred 3 hits of high potency fire/wind/earth damage. The highest dealing element is used for total damage. It's the best black magic skill by far, and even at r1 it's been drat well stapled to my mages since I made it.

As for the other worthwhile ones, here is my lovely writeup. Enjoy!

Northern cross has the highest stun proc of any skill, and a drat decent stop rate. High damage, 2 hits. A lot of 5* celerity users out there don't have much else without soul breaks, might as well give them something. And it's a good ability too.

Snowspell strike can be seen as identical to the recent 5* spellblade abilities. If you're hitting the damage cap with those, that is. It has a way higher multiplier than them, irrisponsibly so. It's also 2 elements in one, elements that spellblades do not get in 5* form. Not too exciting, but super strong.

Speaking of stacking attack buffs, do you have monks with weapon synergy in a realm? Well now you can use lifebane, the original and poorly scaling form of omega drive. Instead of just scaling with your attack, it adds more hits at certain points. You also need like 100 more attack to reach it's best or whatever. Though it is arguably better than omega drive at it's best, it's marginal enough that who gives a gently caress. They don't share materials so go gun ho. Hell, I honed mine to r2, but I've been having wicked awsome luck getting monk poo poo bro.

Hey did you think the spellblade ability being 2 hits kinda sucked, even thoigh it has such high potency? The dragoon 6* ability sky high is just like lightning dive, but wind element. 4 hits, stupidly high damage. So hey, a different element is cool right? I mean it does have a gimmick and technically is the strongest ability in the game, due to multiplayer, but just ignore the gimmick and you have a wind element lightning dive. Due to material requirements, this will be the last one I hone. But I have kain's bsb, which means I can keep spamming the poo poo out of it if the boss is wind weak.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Is it worth crafting / honing any of the 5-star summons, or am I better off just turning them into greater orbs and R5ing some of the 4-star stuff? Right now I've got:

R4 Valefor, R4 Alexander, R3 Leviathan, R3 Ixion, R1 Carbuncle, and R1 Bahamut.

I crafted Bahamut a long time ago on a whim and kinda regret it since having only one cast means I basically never bring it along, but major orbs are rare enough that I don't want to shatter it, either. I have a couple of freebie R5 summons that got given out - Titan, Tiamat, and Ultima Weapon - and of those, Tiamat seems pretty good and Ultima Weapon is unique for it's dark damage.

Should I shatter Titan? I can't ever see myself honing it, and I have Rinoa's SB if I need to specifically hit an earth weakness with summoning damage. What about Ultima Weapon?

Is there enough difference in potency between Bahamut and Valefor to make honing Bahamut worth it in the long run? Honing 4* stuff to R5 is such a huge jump in cost that it seems hard to justify it, but it's also gonna be a good while before I can hone Bahamut unless that summoning orb daily drops soon.

Ugh. I forgot summons in my 6* write-up. Vilgarmanda is the only one worth it. The only decent ice and fire summons before vilgarmanda were 3*, so don't feel bad about honing it. Yeah I think r2 is the minimum to have it be usable, but I use r2 5* summons all the time and they're great.

Let me tell you how to prioritize abilities. Does the class have X element? If no, you make it (unless it's a poo poo skill). If yes, is that skill a 4* that's clearly outmatched by the skill you are thinking of making? If so, then make the ability in question.

I say you make all three good 5* summons so you have variety and the potential to hit different elements in the future. R2 is enough for good usage of them, yes r3 is preferred but orbs are expensive. And for the 4* skills, don't do r5. I stopped at r4 and my summon teams wreck poo poo. I mean, they end up having to have 2 summons each, but when you got three dudes wielding an r2 5* and an r4 4* summon, you don't have aoe problems. Just make sure your magic is up to snuff. Faithgas are your friend.

Oh and while the 4* summons have enough potency to wreck poo poo, titan vs fat chocobo is a clear titan wins. You aren't doing yourself a favor by COMPLETELY ignoring titan. You just eventually upgrade to it later on when orbs aren't scarse if that time ever exists.

But yeah, tiamat is complete poo poo, I can't hit the magic requirements for him and I'll brag about my magic boost stacking all drat day.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

That reminds me. You should consider exchanging orbs in a pinch. Especially after an Orbfest.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I would highly recommend against honing Northern Cross unless your A-team has someone who has very few options outside Celerity, as stun immunity is getting more and more common JP-side.

Also Tiamat is good and please do not spread misinformation about Tiamat not being good. A level 99 summoner with Devotion and two or three stacking faithgas can hit 3 hits without even having synergy, it just takes some doing.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 18, 2017

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Noel's SSB is pretty insane... 6 instant hit + high interrupt + 2 powerchain = spammable with ace striker (SSB + lifesiphon + lifesiphon).

What should I do with my holy team?

Hope - lv. 99 (BSB, OSB, SSB with chance to stop, sb earth power breakdown)
Pecil - lv. 99 (BSB, OSB, platinum shield)
Agrias - lv. 99 (SB mag/atk down, BSB)
Vanille - lv. 99 (BSB)

I have Firion (lv. 99, BSB) or Celes (lv. 99, BSB, Runic SSB) to stick in that last spot.

I can't use breakdowns with this set up unless I sphere'd Firion... Who would you guys pick?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Zurai posted:

Speaking of which, guess what is coming soon to a Ultimate+ fight near you?!

Also to an Apocalypse MO fight.

Barf

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Titan has the not insignificant advantage of not costing Dark orbs.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

I would highly recommend against honing Northern Cross unless your A-team has someone who has very few options outside Celerity, as stun immunity is getting more and more common JP-side.

Hell, this is the case in global too. Stun immunity is already a thing with some bosses, and it's getting more common.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Also Tiamat is good and please do not spread misinformation about Tiamat not being good. A level 99 summoner with Devotion and two or three stacking faithgas can hit 3 hits without even having synergy, it just takes some doing.

All of the 5* summons (except Odin, gently caress Odin) are good damage. Tiamat just takes a little more work; if you're not willing to put in the :effort: it falls behind Ultima Weapon and Titan, but putting in the effort makes it shoot ahead in usefulness.

Tiamat also gets bonus points for being one of the most commonly boosted elements ever, and for being the element of one of the Broken BSBs. (Titan, on the other hand, only gets that bonus if you pulled Rinoa's dress - Maria can't use summons, and Tifa is a physical character.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 18, 2017

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

We're nearly two years into this game. For longtime players, "I have a lot of synergy for $realm" just isn't a compelling argument against a pull for any but the rarest of realms these days. I have spent thousands upon thousands of mythril. I have a lot of relics and after a certain point, depth does start to become more attractive than breadth.

I was going to ask how to get back into this and then this post reminds me of the dozens of Death Sickles and FFI armor I'd pulled up to the first Bartz event :negative:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Weeping Wound posted:

I was going to ask how to get back into this and then this post reminds me of the dozens of Death Sickles and FFI armor I'd pulled up to the first Bartz event :negative:

For what it's worth, CaptainPsyko isn't talking about piles of 3* and 4* items. These days we live in a world where an 11-pull guarantees at least one 5* item, so people have more + better gear than ever.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

For what it's worth, CaptainPsyko isn't talking about piles of 3* and 4* items. These days we live in a world where an 11-pull guarantees at least one 5* item, so people have more + better gear than ever.

And really, all it takes is one good 11-pull to make you "set" for a realm, at this point; 2-3 weapons and some armor is Good Synergy, all things considered.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm going to finish story dungeons completely today, just one more to go.

Bye bye extra mythril source :(

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Am I right in thinking that if I want to a memory crystal for Rosa I'm either waiting for an event to come around or getting strong enough to beat the event levels that give loads?

Will some random dudes in their 49s and 50s with a few BSB be strong enough for that, or would they be if I crafted the abilities I should have?

Should I even feel bad about wasting the story mission do with a capped character? (I'm still only at about 80 stamina).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Having BSBs natively makes a lot of difference towards progress in events. So unless you've exclusively got weird and wonky stuff like Trigger Happy, you should be good to go on the particular dungeons that give generic MCs (at difficulty 75).

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I've got Twin Moon, Holy Ray, and Meteor shots. I could have Lion's Roar but I haven't actually gotten Squall and leveled him.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yeah, you're definitely good to go on that front. You've got several attack options and a healing BSB as well (which makes a lot of difference at high-level stuff)*, so you can probably push up to the start of the boss-only event dungeons before stopping. And for those I'd suggest pushing for things like Lifesiphon (Combat 4) and Dr. Mog's Teachings (RM for Tyro at 65+, grants +1 Soul Break bar).

*Apparently? Somehow I still don't have one. :shrug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

BSBs are such a crazy power swing relative to all other types of breaks. Also the coolest and have the most room to explore a characters theme or gameplay gimmick.

I wish they had 'baby' BSBs you could earn in some guaranteed manner.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

victrix posted:

BSBs are such a crazy power swing relative to all other types of breaks. Also the coolest and have the most room to explore a characters theme or gameplay gimmick.

I wish they had 'baby' BSBs you could earn in some guaranteed manner.

They're called roaming warrior BSBs

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Fujin's BSB is so loving good Jesus Christ

Can't wait until we get a good single target fight to put her through her paces, current I U+ is a boss rush so no chance of testing the mag/res debuff, the U++ resists wind, and the VIII Ultimates all have some form of wind absorb/null apart from Biggs/Wedge and Squall :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Beasteh posted:

Fujin's BSB is so loving good Jesus Christ

Can't wait until we get a good single target fight to put her through her paces, current I U+ is a boss rush so no chance of testing the mag/res debuff, the U++ resists wind, and the VIII Ultimates all have some form of wind absorb/null apart from Biggs/Wedge and Squall :sigh:

I had her bust it out during the Ultima Weapon fight in the current VIII event. Level 65 Fujin with her Chakram, Cid Goggles (VII) for +Wind, Ultima Slayer and Vessel of Fate as RW. After hitting Ultima Weapon with Full Break and Canister Shot, her BSB was doing a little over 5K per hit on the entry attacks, and managed to hit for 9999 on her command 2 through Wind Resistance. Never got to hit him with command 1 since he died shortly after that. :allears:

• Locked thread