Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
this felt good but I also felt pretty obnoxious. TNN is pretty busted.

it felt doubly obnoxious because earlier in the game I totally tried to fatal push a flickerwisp without revolt. So I played badly and won because I drew 100% more TNN than he drew cataclysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Debating which deck to take to FNM this week. Been doing pretty well with Titan Breach but I recently finished BW Tokens and need an excuse to actually sleeve it up. Any opinions?

Deck: Titan Breach

//Lands
2 Cinder Glade
2 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
3 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
2 Explore
3 Farseek
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Search for Tomorrow
3 Summoner's Pact
2 Summoning Trap
4 Through the Breach

//Creatures
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Obstinate Baloth
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

//Sideboard
1 Ancient Grudge
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Courser of Kruphix
2 Crumble to Dust
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Reclamation Sage
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Sudden Shock
1 Summoning Trap

Display deck statistics
(The Coursers and Baloths used to be flipped but I keep boarding the Baloths in and the Coursers out. I may actually drop the Coursers entirely)

Deck: BW Tokens

//Lands
1 Caves of Koilos
3 Concealed Courtyard
4 Flooded Strand
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Godless Shrine
1 Isolated Chapel
3 Marsh Flats
5 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
3 Fatal Push
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Hidden Stockpile
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
3 Path to Exile
4 Raise the Alarm
1 Secure the Wastes
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4 Spectral Procession
3 Thoughtseize
2 Zealous Persecution

//Creatures
1 Hero of Bladehold

//Sideboard
2 Anguished Unmaking
2 Leyline of the Void
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council
2 Stony Silence
1 Sundering Growth
2 Surgical Extraction
3 Timely Reinforcements
1 Worship

Display deck statistics
(Haven't gotten to test this yet, Hidden Stockpile in particular. Also not sure if I should have replaced all my Dismembers with Pushes)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I guess I have to take a pic of Lands tonight w updates

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Debating which deck to take to FNM this week. Been doing pretty well with Titan Breach but I recently finished BW Tokens and need an excuse to actually sleeve it up. Any opinions?

Play BW Tokens, it's just FNM

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
It's hard to take a deck pic when there are so many one-ofs!

Vintage Leo-Gush, mint power/duals and foiled out, just need judge Forces and fetches to really top it off. So excited to shuffle this up on Sunday!

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 16, 2017

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

It's hard to take a deck pic when there are so many one-ofs!

Vintage Leo-Gush, mint power/duals and foiled out, just need judge Forces and fetches to really top it off. So excited to shuffle this up on Sunday!

Make sure to let your opponent see all that beauty game 1. Then savagely riffle before game 2 and give them a heart attack to tilt them hard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Judge fetches?! Gross.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
No good? I like promos and expeditions are uggo.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pretty shameful white bordered duals and power

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

OK have a bunch of pretty shots of JPN foil Lands. I'm two depths and a handful of recently added cards from my version of complete (barb ring, kozi returns)

http://imgur.com/a/9Cvt7

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

No good? I like promos and expeditions are uggo.

Pack foils. Come on, have some respect for the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

myDad posted:

Play BW Tokens, it's just FNM

Goldfished Tokens a few times after I sleeved it up last night and I'm not 100% convinced I have the mana base down. Will probably take it and playtest against actual people in between rounds.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

suicidesteve posted:

Pack foils. Come on, have some respect for the game.

Meh. I feel like promos are more fun; pack foils are just like the regular cards. But shiny. Promos get the shooting star or FNM stamp or a different border etc etc.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I like judge foils, but I'm also a judge

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

I like judge foils, but I'm also a judge

I love judge foils. Every card in my cube that can be a judge foil is. Death and Taxes is pretty much entirely Russian/Japanese. Except for the judge SoFI. I spent $480 on judge Hierarchs because they look so much better.

But holy crap judge foil fetches look so bad.

Also, Real foil fetches have the star too.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 17, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Judge Hierarchs are the poo poo, a mate has a playset and I'm forever jealous

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Judge Hierarchs are the poo poo, a mate has a playset and I'm forever jealous

I actually have 5 because I didn't want to have to move one between my cube and my deck. :v:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

suicidesteve posted:

I actually have 5 because I didn't want to have to move one between my cube and my deck. :v:

This is why I have 12 Force of Wills :bang: Four of em are Judge foils I just ordered for that Vintage deck, though.

Why do Judge fetches in particular look bad? Is it the crappy foiling like FTVs?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

This is why I have 12 Force of Wills :bang: Four of em are Judge foils I just ordered for that Vintage deck, though.

Why do Judge fetches in particular look bad? Is it the crappy foiling like FTVs?

I have ....16? Wastelands. Only 6 Forces though. One's Japanese though. I just got a set of MPR Wastes along with the Hierarchs. I originally wanted an English set so I'd have a Japanese set for D&T and an English set for people to borrow and to play in Landstill. Then I traded for some more. And now I just have a million so I throw them in commander decks.

It's the new frame. It looks awful on everything but especially on fetches.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I love the modern frames, though. Not the new-new ones with the foil dot, but the 8th+ frame.

I should get more Japanese stuff for D&T; I have Japanese Rishadan Ports. I'm only at 8 Wastelands; other than the 12 Forces I think I cap out at 8 or 9 for most expensive-ish cards; usually means they're in two legacy decks, and an EDH deck if it's 9 copies.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Death and Taxes is almost as Russian as possible (minus 2 altered Thalias, Caverns, and a Gideon I'm not even playing in my sideboard right now.) I just need Japanese Vials and Jitte, a second Prelate and Recruiters #2 and 3, which are somehow impossible to find in nonfoil, and some random sideboard cards like Abolish and Palace Jailer which are also impossible to find. I also need a 4th Korean StP. I always manage to draw the Japanese one and it's so tilting.

I have a lot of cubesets of stuff but I only really have a bunch of Wastes and some of the KTK fetches in Russian.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 18, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Had a horrible punt in my first game of Modern FNM tonight and couldn't quite recover, going 2-2 with losses to Eldrazi (non-Tron) and UW Control, but wins against BUG Delver and Skred. Takeaways-

--Moving the Baloths MB was the right call, I was able to cast them on turn 3 quite a bit and they were great for helping me stabilize, especially against faster opponents/slower draws.

--Conversely, I never really wanted the Coursers back. The only time I boarded them in was game 3 vs Skred as a stalling measure. Might bump them entirely, when would you all suggest bringing them in?

--I might try out a couple Pulse of Murasa in the SB if/when I do bump the Coursers, it would've saved my rear end a couple times tonight. Had my Titans Surgical'd away G2 vs UW, then Skred blew up one of my two Forests with a Blood Moon in play to lock me out of GG one game.

--Emrakul owns, she won me half of my games tonight and I'm surprised more Breach decks don't run her. What am I missing?

--Having the one ramp spell in your opening hand countered is an extreme feelbad. Should I be shooting for double-ramp hands if I'm expecting early countermagic or discard?

And for anyone playing around with BUG Delver, this is what I remember seeing/hearing from him:
Snap
Delver
Goyf
Tasigur
Serum Visions
Thoughtseize
Push
Remand
Spell Snare (SB)
Surgical (SB)
Vampiric Link (SB)
Thought Scour
Cryptic (but he said he only had 19 lands :psyduck:)
Simic Charm(!)
Lumbering Falls(!!)

Deck seems sweet but he admitted to being new to it, so we'll see how effective it actually is.

Breach remains a fun cool deck but I might bench it for a little while. I saw no Infect, Dredge, or Death's Shadow tonight so it might be time to bring Mill out of hiding! Also I got to try a game of Tokens against Eldrazi and not only did I win, but Hidden Stockpile did work like I hoped it would :toot:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 18, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The math roughly works out to shaving a land every two cantrips so as long as he's not running like 4 it's probably fine?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So I've been trying that esper control list in modern. Its pretty awesome, except one thing. I hate Celestial Colonnade. I'm really strongly considering swapping them out for tar pits. It just seems so hard to tap 5 to animate it and hold up cryptic, or snap cryptic, or torrential gearhulk to keep you from dying after you stabilize. And with secure the wastes as the main win-con its probably unnecessary as well.

Overall its a really fun deck, and makes me actually kinda want to play modern again.

Though, maybe the lifelinking man-land is worth running? The deck's lifegain is only sphinx's rev pre-board, and it can eat eidolons and goblin guides as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

L0cke17 posted:

So I've been trying that esper control list in modern. Its pretty awesome, except one thing. I hate Celestial Colonnade. I'm really strongly considering swapping them out for tar pits. It just seems so hard to tap 5 to animate it and hold up cryptic, or snap cryptic, or torrential gearhulk to keep you from dying after you stabilize. And with secure the wastes as the main win-con its probably unnecessary as well.

Overall its a really fun deck, and makes me actually kinda want to play modern again.

Though, maybe the lifelinking man-land is worth running? The deck's lifegain is only sphinx's rev pre-board, and it can eat eidolons and goblin guides as well.

What's your list? I've seen a couple lists that run Tar Pit while also running several PWs that make tokens or turn into creatures themselves and use those as their big bodies (also stuff like Lingering Souls). I think you could definitely make something work without Colonnades.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

What's your list? I've seen a couple lists that run Tar Pit while also running several PWs that make tokens or turn into creatures themselves and use those as their big bodies (also stuff like Lingering Souls). I think you could definitely make something work without Colonnades.
Win Cons

1 Torrential Gearhulk
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Secure the Wastes

Card Drawing

2 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Esper Charm
4 Think Twice

Counterspells

2 Negate
2 Logic Knot
4 Cryptic Command

Removal

4 Fatal Push
3 Supreme Verdict
2 Path to Exile

Lands

4 Flooded strand
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Mystic Gate
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Godless Shrine
4 Polluted Delta
2 Watery Grave
4 Celestial Colonnade
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Steam Vents
1 Marsh Flats
3 Island

Sideboard (needs to change, the Runed Halos are mediocre, and at least one should be an edict effect, probably far//away)
2 Crumble to Dust
2 Path to Exile
3 Runed Halo
2 Stony Silence
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Thoughtseize
1 Negate
2 Timely Reinforcements

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 19, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
3-1 on Affinity tonight, probably have Ad Nauseam done by the end of the month. Biggest moments tonight were:

T2 kill in the mirror with Inkmoth Nexus
and
Got way too excited playing a friend on infect (he tapped out after I Thoughtseized post-board & I knew I could end the game on backswing if he did) and missed my EoT Steel Overseer tap which would have easily won the game. Couldn't rewind since it was a real game, but I did still have just over lethal on the backswing. Felt good to recognize the misplay & note it for the future (I get too excited when I'm about to win) without getting utterly punished for it.

Biggest takeaways were:
Don't declare victory too soon. I may not always say it out loud, but I often get ahead of myself & get punished for it.
Signal Pest is severely underrated & can be the last couple points of damage needed to close a game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thanks, also this is only 58 cards :ssh:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 18, 2017

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Any goons getting owned in the gp van main event?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, also this is only 58 cards :ssh:

It was missing 2 Sphinx's Revelation. I was phone typing.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Procrastinator posted:

Any goons getting owned in the gp van main event?

Lost back to back win and in rounds today. Feels bad man.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Someone in the competitive EDH community (yes that's a thing) did the side event with their Teferi deck. $30 for a box & 15 packs

myDad fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 19, 2017

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Mezzanon posted:

Lost back to back win and in rounds today. Feels bad man.

RIP. I opted out of the main event, but I'm playing the smaller modern event today. Better luck if you do side events or some poo poo, my dude.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Are there any decent (good enough to prize in a daily, if those still exist) goyfless GBx controlly-midrange decks running around Modern ATM? Maybe like that pure GB rock deck Reid Duke played at a GP a few years back

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Moatman posted:

Are there any decent (good enough to prize in a daily, if those still exist) goyfless GBx controlly-midrange decks running around Modern ATM? Maybe like that pure GB rock deck Reid Duke played at a GP a few years back

I've seen one or two BG decks in Modern built around ramping into a big Death Cloud and using artifacts/mana rocks, creatures with built-in recursion (Finks, Thragtusk) and PWs to "cheat" Death Cloud. Not sure how viable they are but I've always wanted to try one, MTGGoldfish has a primer on a budget version of the deck, with suggestions for a non-budget version.

One of the higher-placing decks from the Modern part of SCG Baltimore was labeled as Abzan but is more akin to a WG beatdown deck that splashes B for Rhino, Lingering Souls, and some SB stuff. Not sure if it's what you had in mind but I thought it was interesting enough to copy down, if for no other reason than already having everything in it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 21, 2017

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

Moatman posted:

something like this, replacing goyfs with grim flayers and some number of 3/4 drops with additional tasigurs and anglers?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Moatman posted:

This one looks super fun!!

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-abzan-scales-modern/

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Yeah these are all basically my jam. Thanks
E: should have been a bit more clear, I'm not against Goyfs because of money, although that's a bit of a factor. I just prefer the other, even grinder style of GB.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 22, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Does anyone play paper vintage regularly? there's an event at my store for byes at EW. the deck i want to play is short a sapphire, but I'm thinking about just showing up and running what i've got. for people that play paper regularly, do you often find people with suboptimal builds due to card availability, or is pretty much everyone that plays sanctioned paper fully powered up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Does anyone play paper vintage regularly? there's an event at my store for byes at EW. the deck i want to play is short a sapphire, but I'm thinking about just showing up and running what i've got. for people that play paper regularly, do you often find people with suboptimal builds due to card availability, or is pretty much everyone that plays sanctioned paper fully powered up?

In my experience roughly half are unpowered, or underpowered. Its not the most crippling thing ever.