Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

AlphaDog posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the original PDF version of Sixth World, the PbtA Shadowrun game?

I thought it was a free thing, but it seems to have entirely disappeared from the internet. Is it available anywhere? Happy to buy it if it's for sale now.

https://swse.neocities.org/ has the html version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We might need to revive this thread to discuss the stupid, terrible, asinine moves White Wolf is currently pulling.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Gro- wait no- WhiteWolf.txt

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I want to get off Groins-Blood Voivoide's Wild Ride.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tell me more.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Let's use the effortpost I made up in the WW thread:

quote:

Subject: White Wolf's Questionable Decisions Lead To Loss of Writer/Designer

Hi everyone,
There's a developing story occurring in the RPG/tabletop world. White Wolf has proceeded to make two very questionable decisions, which have led to the loss of one of their best writers/designers.

Issue 1: White Wolf hires racist/misogynist/transmisogynist/neo-nazi writer Zak S. to write a text adventure game for them. Here's a screenshot so you can see what we're dealing with right off:

https://i.imgur.com/Heyshsw.jpg

Here's some background on Zak S:

http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest
https://storify.com/AndriErlingsson/zak-s-runs-a-secret-harassment-group-online
http://ettinjiggywithit.tumblr.com/post/106855388993/that-time-zak-smith-ran-a-harassment-blog
https://shawnstruck.blogspot.ca/2015/01/zak-s-roll-for-harassment_5.html

Issue 2: White Wolf reprinted a book of fiction ("Dark Destiny") from the 90's, including work by a convicted pedophile - Ed Kramer. The reprint rights did not force them to reprint his work, nor did it force them to leave Kramer's name prominently on the cover.

So who's going to be leaving because of this? David Hill, of Onyx Path Publishing (they have an odd relationship with White Wolf that would take a while to explain, but the two companies are enmeshed in each other). He developed Changeling: The Lost's 2nd Edition and most of the new combat rules. He's already being attacked by Zak S's followers:

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/832247968090640384

Note that there've been further developments I haven't added yet, like White Wolf announcing that none of Zak's harassment campaigns ever happened.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Let's use the effortpost I made up in the WW thread:

Note that there've been further developments I haven't added yet, like White Wolf announcing that none of Zak's harassment campaigns ever happened.

Zak is a piece of poo poo for sure, but Neo-Nazi is a new one for me. Personally I'd keep it to things I know he's definitely done - the harassment and sockpuppeting - to increase the difficulty of them dismissing it out of hand, but certainly this is a good compilation of sources that show paradox has hosed up here.

Oh also FYI I checked Amazon today and Ed Kramer's name isn't on the dark destiny cover anymore. Funnily enough Tobias Ericsson decided to place his name where Kramer's was: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Destiny-Karim-Muammar-ebook/dp/B01G7GP96U Has anyone checked to see if the book still contains Kramer's stuff? e: Just checked myself, the foreword is still written by him ~_~

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 17, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah, drop the neo-Nazi thing. Nobody has given any serious reason to think he leans that way.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Yeah, drop the neo-Nazi thing. Nobody has given any serious reason to think he leans that way.

I concur.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Oh gently caress, here's said foreword written by a child molester:

Far too much focus on ~childhood innocence~ to be anything but stomach-churning :barf:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The racism thing also seems off. Like, we know he has transmisogynistic tendencies because he claims transwomen he doesn't like aren't real LGBT people and two of his more outspoken or well-known victims are transwomen, but it's not like there's been a string of testimonials that he goes after black people or uses anti-Semitic slurs or anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

The racism thing also seems off. Like, we know he has transmisogynistic tendencies because he claims transwomen he doesn't like aren't real LGBT people and two of his more outspoken or well-known victims are transwomen, but it's not like there's been a string of testimonials that he goes after black people or uses anti-Semitic slurs or anything.
He's a reedy little twerp who doesn't have anything besides "maybe ur the real bigot huh maeks u think," so people naturally, though inaccurately, conflate him with Milo Yannimonopoly.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Naturally, though innacurately is a good way to put it imo.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 17, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JackMann posted:

G&G actually started up a new location at the Tucson Mall, speaking of expansion. We'll see how that goes. It's a nice space, and there's nothing super close there, but... Again, how many game stores can Tucson support, even with the university and the base?

It used to be three. One in the mall, one right by the university that also did comics, and one way East on Speedway that did enough historical wargaming that I could just drop by and get into random pickup games. I wish to hell San Francisco had a store where I could just wander in and get handed a Zulu Impi or a WW2 recon company and go to town.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Is Rich Knowles still running a store in Tucson?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

Tell me more.

When it broke on reddit that Zak S was involved in this project, he took to reddit to defend his good name.

Only, it wasn't exactly him. As it turns out, he's had this "SAppelcline" account on reddit for about a year now, and he's been using it to make people think he's actually Shannon Appelcline, RPG historian.

Prior to this White Wolf thing, he's been using it to promote his book, and maybe drop some side-eyeing opinions like
"[Vincent] Baker being nominated 3-4 times before Greg Stafford getting nominated once tells you a thing or two about /rpg" or "it's very hard to be scared of death in Dungeon World, try the OSR instead"

Of course, when this SAppelcline account says "Maze of the Blue Medusa is going to be good", it's actually Zak S doing this under false pretenses, so what the gently caress, right?

Anyway, when this White Wolf thing blows up, and Zak starts using this account to again defend his good name through the guise of a third-person with a much better reputation in the industry. He went on as far to say that it's actually the Something Awful community that's been harassing him, because SA likes 4th Edition D&D, and Zak S is a pioneer of the OSR, and therefore that makes him a target for SA's ire. Or something.

Appelcline himself has since confirmed that the account isn't actually his:
https://twitter.com/Appelcline/status/832345425336164352

Zak's mistake was that at one point, when responding to another post asking about Zak S, he responded to defend himself while still using the SAppelcline account:
https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/832477423899783168

Later, he then posted the exact same thing, except now using the "correct" ZakSabbath account.

And now it looks like that David Hill person (AFAIK a former writer for White Wolf who was already being previously harassed by Zak's followers) is getting harassed again, within the past hour.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/832775997682438144

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 18, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

David Hill has been instrumental in a lot of Chronicles of Darkness/nWoD2, and had been writing and developing for Onyx Path and I think back to original White Wolf for literally years. His wife, Filamena Young, too.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
This industry is loving magical.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Zak's mistake was that at one point, when responding to another post asking about Zak S, he responded to defend himself while still using the SAppelcline account:

Later, he then posted the exact same thing, except now using the "correct" ZakSabbath account.

Oh, it's far better than that. When someone accused Zak Smith of siccing his Google+ followrs on people Zak Smith didn't like, the SAppelcline responded with "I didn't 'sic' anyone on anything." Then that SApplecline comment was deleted, and the account ZakSabbath made a comment in the exact same place, repeating almost verbatim what SAppelcline had written. Which makes it very obvious that the SAppelcline account was run by Zak Smith.

Zak, of course, has claimed that it's not his account: it's an account owned by a friend of his who picked that name as a joke, which is a defence so weak that I'm almost inclined to believe it! Except, you know, not only did "SAppelcline" claim to be Zak, but "ZakSabbath" is very obviously the same person as SAppelcline.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well that just makes me more furious.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LatwPIAT posted:

Zak, of course, has claimed that it's not his account: it's an account owned by a friend of his who picked that name as a joke, which is a defence so weak that I'm almost inclined to believe it! Except, you know, not only did "SAppelcline" claim to be Zak, but "ZakSabbath" is very obviously the same person as SAppelcline.

I thought the story was, on top of his "friend" picking the name "as a joke", they were also using the same computer. So he's copping to making that particular post, but it's just a wacky roommate mix-up because he couldn't come up with something better than a teenager on JustRage.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
This is the exact same stunt he's been pulling since the Dongion at the very least.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

That Old Tree posted:

I thought the story was, on top of his "friend" picking the name "as a joke", they were also using the same computer. So he's copping to making that particular post, but it's just a wacky roommate mix-up because he couldn't come up with something better than a teenager on JustRage.

The fun part is he's been using the sappelcline account to talk up his own products for about a year - the zaksabbath account is much younger.

Comparing them makes it completely obvious that they're the same person writing - the punctuation style and everything is identical.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

White Wolf hires racist/misogynist/transmisogynist/neo-nazi writer Zak S. to write a text adventure game for them.

So none of the links provided actually seem to back any of that up. From what I can tell from reading them he just looks like some shitposter who got in a bunch of flame wars with other idiots and is up his own rear end despite not contributing anything of value ever. Which is fine, if a writer's a butt that's ample reason to not buy a product they're attached to, but it'd be great if those labels were being reserved for people who actually fit them instead of being applied as a catch-all for 'someone who is a butt'. "White Wolf hires useless douchebag writer Zak S." is sufficient on its own without randomly hurling -ist labels out of a grab bag.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zak S has literally encouraged/run harassment campaigns that have driven trans people in the industry off the internet entirely, including at least one in this very subforum.

That's a step beyond "generic rear end in a top hat nerd".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
His vampire short story also includes a Transwoman vampire who propositions cab drivers, asks them if they would like a hand job in the bathroom, tells them she still has a penis, and then asks them if they like trump.

If they like trump she kills them, if they balk at her penis she uses dominate to force them to like it, and then she gives them a handjob anyway.

For some strange reason this vampire shares a first name with the monster hearts developer.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Maybe we should ask Mikan whether or not Zak S' harassment campaigns are real. Wait, you can't because Zak S drove Mikan into hiding.

You can lead a person to facts, but you can't make them think.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Serf posted:

Maybe we should ask Mikan whether or not Zak S' harassment campaigns are real. Wait, you can't because Zak S drove Mikan into hiding.

You can lead a person to facts, but you can't make them think.

Man I miss Mikan. Thankfully we can also ask his targets - Anna Krieder, for example, or Tracey Hurley, or Filamena Young - if the harassment campaigns they experienced were real. And wouldn't you know, they've blogged extensively about them. But actually talking to them was far too much effort for nuWW apparently.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Flavivirus posted:

Man I miss Mikan. Thankfully we can also ask his targets - Anna Krieder, for example, or Tracey Hurley, or Filamena Young - if the harassment campaigns they experienced were real. And wouldn't you know, they've blogged extensively about them. But actually talking to them was far too much effort for nuWW apparently.

He has literally harassed their direct staff. They know who he is, they're actively defending him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you notice, David Hill is tweeting from Japan.

Because he moved there to get away from harassment organized by Zak S.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Is there a full list of known harassment campaigns by Zak Smith?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Imagine being a person so loving lame that you send death threats to protect the honor of a 40 year old who has a side cut and makes terrible art

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think it is potentially a problem that people learn of his many crimes by hearsay, through forum posts one at a time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is there a full list of known harassment campaigns by Zak Smith?

I'm not trying to sound snarky, but if there was incontrovertible evidence of Zak's horseshit we wouldn't be in this situation where people keep giving him the benefit of the doubt.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not trying to sound snarky, but if there was incontrovertible evidence of Zak's horseshit we wouldn't be in this situation where people keep giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Counterpoints: climate change, the results of the recent US election, the Holocaust.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm not looking for incontrovertible evidence.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

That Old Tree posted:

Yes. One of the people he sent to RPGnet to defend him went and asked him to explain the screenshot, and Zak told him that it was because SAppelcine was a friend of his and they use the same laptop and he forgot to logout.

The guy in question believes it 100% because "why would Zak lie about that?" :smaug:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you notice, David Hill is tweeting from Japan.

Because he moved there to get away from harassment organized by Zak S.

That's... Impressive. What actually happened? And is it documented anywhere that we can show people?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I know one of the Mind's Eye Theater guys, and my rear end in a top hat clenched when we told me how happy he was to work with Zak S. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I just picked up Maze of the Blue Medusa because I love Patrick Stuart, and totally forgot that Zak S did all the art. Feel reeeeeal lovely that I ended up giving money to that rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread