Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A-10, the Bard of CAS

edit: I'll show myself out

That Works fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Dead Reckoning posted:

CAS is a mission, not a platform or a capability.

Everyone read this like 100 times.

Aren't some airframes better suited to some types of missions though? I feel like throwing the long loiter time, large payload, slow mover out just because we don't need it right this moment is short-sighted. Particularly if it's a capability that is inexpensive to maintain and operate.

Mortabis posted:

Doesn't each BCT have a battery of guns for each maneuver battalion? Or is that, uh, wishful thinking and only true on paper?

Marine Corps Expeditionary Units do.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

It looks almost like submunitions from that SDB

I like that weapon.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

What about using something like this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_recoilless_rifle with some sort of guided round to let it be effective out past a couple hundred yards? Give them to a couple guys in each platoon and let them blap Taliban from a distance with spending $20,000 an hour.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

Doesn't each BCT have a battery of guns for each maneuver battalion? Or is that, uh, wishful thinking and only true on paper?

Each BCT has a battalions worth of howitzers , so basically yes.

that said, it was pretty routine to deploy either without them entirely or use your gunners as door kickers throughout G-WOT, because we got horribly lazy with regard to fire support.

there really wasn't any technical reason we couldn't have used howitzers as the primary fire support pretty much anywhere in Iraq or Afghanistan with the exception of maybe some of the most remote mountain areas, it was just way easier at first to ask an airplane to do it and by the time the demand got high enough we realized our mistake pretty much everybody had forgotten how to do actual big boy fire support

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

What bomb is this?

LostCosmonaut posted:

What about using something like this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_recoilless_rifle with some sort of guided round to let it be effective out past a couple hundred yards? Give them to a couple guys in each platoon and let them blap Taliban from a distance with spending $20,000 an hour.

The ARL and ONR have been trying at precision guided munitions sub 80mm for at least a decade now and nothin' deployed yet. These exist in 120+mm though.

Lots of issues with this including:
-Electronics, fuses, etc. that are cost reasonable surviving 10000+G shock
-Time to boot up, input target location (if needed), acquire lock on whatever the mechanism of getting there is (GPS? Visual only? Laser designator....how do I find a laser designator on the way up when the first problem prevents a gimble?)
-A bunch of others

Read about the ONR's ACERM or the ARL's PGMM and they'll tell you what they did sorta kinda do (but not really because it isnt fielded)

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 17, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Why can't an F-15E do that?

They can, but they're frankly not as good as it. And it costs a lot more for an F-15E to do it than it does for an A-10.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So why not use helicopters? I know they don't have the time on target that a jet has, but that is also going to be counter-balanced by having more of the things and being able to stage them closer to wherever you're having the fight. If anything all this sounds like an argument for having more integrated rotor-driven CAS in the Army.

Yes, I know that thin air in Afghanistan makes them specifically problematic in that place, but I think we're talking general purpose here. If we end up needing CAS on the side of a mountain again we can just task that expensive as gently caress F-35 to do the job in that limited circumstance.

Because in a contested environment, or any environment where there's a surface-to-air threat beyond AK-47s and Stingers dug out of the soil after 20 years, they will not survive.

Mortabis posted:

Maybe this is insensitive but I'm curious why mortars and grenade launchers are insufficient when the enemy is close enough to punt a football at them. I guess if you're outnumbered.

Organic fires are almost always option #1. When that's unavailable, or insufficient, that's when they start requesting XCAS support.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 18, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The finest bomb. Small in diameter, big in heart.

Is there a Maverick replacement in the pipeline, or are the newer SDB variants with different tracking capable of that when dropped from appropriate conditions?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
APKWS/DAGR loving sucks. I wish I could show you the videos of those things failing to even incapacitate dudes in the open.
2.75in rockets were designed to be fired in volleys at their targets, single shots have woefully little killing power.

In the same period of time I have seen GAU-8 HE absolutely MULCH the enemy with excellent precision and effectiveness.

The A-10 rules and any replacement needs a decent gun.

APKWS sucks

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What about against light armor? BMP etc?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Any place we're facing BMPs there's a good chance the A-10 is mincemeat anyway.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Godholio posted:

Because in a contested environment, or any environment where there's a surface-to-air threat beyond AK-47s and Stingers dug out of the soil after 20 years, they will not survive.

Yes, but we're talking about A-10 replacements. In any of those environments an A-10 is pretty much hosed as well.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LostCosmonaut posted:

I wouldn't want to carry that. Or the ammo for that.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Yeah that thing weighs fifty pounds.

The SMAW (basically a modern bazooka) is around 20 I think, but it's no substitute for a 500lb bomb

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Knee mortars for everyone.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Boston Dynamics needs to cut the poo poo and get around to mounting a gun of some sort on their scary robot animals.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Boston Dynamics needs to cut the poo poo and get around to mounting a gun of some sort on their scary robot animals.

Did you see their scary robot rollerskater?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

An ATGM would turn one of those into iron filings gently wafting in the breeze. Small missiles really put a damper on the whole "fight wars with big expensive machines" game.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'd find those things a lot more interesting if it weren't for the fact that, judging by the videos, you can hear them in the next county over.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Captain von Trapp posted:

An ATGM would turn one of those into iron filings gently wafting in the breeze. Small missiles really put a damper on the whole "fight wars with big expensive machines" game.

When your robot animal can carry an antimissile/antimortar laser is when those become interesting, I think. Protect itself and its squad at the same time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

But they aren't particularly big. They're man-sized, roughly. some are even smaller.

Mortabis posted:

I'd find those things a lot more interesting if it weren't for the fact that, judging by the videos, you can hear them in the next county over.

This, however, is a real big limitation, along with range and duration. If they somehow figure this out while keeping the size relatively small, we might actually have something.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

"The first prototype and first Concorde to fly, caught the exact moment it clips past the corona of an annular eclipse of the sun."

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
That looks like a 70s scifi book cover. What an amazing photo

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

APKWS/DAGR loving sucks. I wish I could show you the videos of those things failing to even incapacitate dudes in the open.
2.75in rockets were designed to be fired in volleys at their targets, single shots have woefully little killing power.

In the same period of time I have seen GAU-8 HE absolutely MULCH the enemy with excellent precision and effectiveness.

APKWS sucks
Fortunately (well, unfortunately for you) it appears that the Pentagon has realized that it needs to stop listening to idiots who think every future war will be as permissive as Afg/Iraq, and babymen who like loud noises. Your future options will be low CDE weapons, sleeved Hellfires, or 500lbs JDAM because guns in a ground support role are obsolete.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LostCosmonaut posted:

$20,000/hour is probably around the lower limit for a PGM anyway, so if that's your metric I guess don't need to fire more than one per hour.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

APKWS sucks

This sounds like an easier problem to solve than figuring out how an A-10 survives modern SAMs while flying close enough to the ground for a gun run.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SO what's the state of the art on infantry mortars nowadays anyway? Someone mentioned adding guidance to the rounds might be difficult due to the high tube pressures, what about adding rockets? Has someone made a cross between a mortar and a Javelin yet

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

SO what's the state of the art on infantry mortars nowadays anyway? Someone mentioned adding guidance to the rounds might be difficult due to the high tube pressures, what about adding rockets? Has someone made a cross between a mortar and a Javelin yet

At least for the US, they just fielded new 81mm systems that are basically the same as the old 252 but lighter. The marines have funded a guided 120mm round that is supposed to be quite something; there's a good chance the army will buy it if it fields well. Other than that largely unchanged from the 1980s or so.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"The first prototype and first Concorde to fly, caught the exact moment it clips past the corona of an annular eclipse of the sun."

Yeah, they tore out the roof and installed a bunch of instruments so astronomers could literally chase the eclipse across the sky and gather data from it.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

it's commercial drone delivered surplus grenades with 3d printed fins making them accurate enough to drop into open tank hatches

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CarForumPoster posted:

What bomb is this?

It was kind of alluded to in other posts, but that's a Small Diameter Bomb. They're pretty neat.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Is 5-6km about the maximum range of a motar that can still remain kind of man portable?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Throatwarbler posted:

Is 5-6km about the maximum range of a motar that can still remain kind of man portable?

60mm is about 4km, 80mm about 5-6km.

The man-portable limitation is usually the ammunition, IIRC. You have to break the rounds down and split them among individual members and then collect them all when you set up. A 60mm round is about 2lbs, that adds up fast when you're marching.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Throatwarbler posted:

That was me but its not high tube pressures its high (nominally 250x higher than a Navy airplane) induced transient loads. Again the ACERM from the ONR and the 81mm and 60mm PGMM from the ARL are the state of the art as far as infantry mortars. As far as actual real life capabilities currently fielded its the XM395 PGMM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM395_Precision_Guided_Mortar_Munition

Smiling Jack posted:

The man-portable limitation is usually the ammunition, IIRC. You have to break the rounds down and split them among individual members and then collect them all when you set up. A 60mm round is about 2lbs, that adds up fast when you're marching.

Per FM 23-90: (These are 60mm)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

This is happening, but on more "traditional" wheel/tracked robots.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Frinkahedron posted:

This is happening, but on more "traditional" wheel/tracked robots.

Boring. May as well scrap the whole idea.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Smiling Jack posted:

My idea of man-portable is that you can load up a couple of tubes and some cases of ammo in a truck, drive the truck to the foot of a hill and then lug everything up the hill on foot, set up an firing post, be resupplied via truck, i.e. not completely roadbound like a field gun would be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, they tore out the roof and installed a bunch of instruments so astronomers could literally chase the eclipse across the sky and gather data from it.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/the-concorde-and-the-longest-solar-eclipse

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DonkeyHotay posted:

it's commercial drone delivered surplus grenades with 3d printed fins making them accurate enough to drop into open tank hatches

Do you work for ISIS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Problem: Pesky plastic bags and other garbage gets caught on high voltage lines.

Obvious Solution: