Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Even if someone is all in on tribalism they still have the concept of the traitor right? What would it take for Trump to activate it and turn love into the strongest hate in the blink of an eye?

Not valuing party over country. Trump sold out America, but not the Republican party, aka REAL America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

11 [imghttp://i.imgur.com/dzAGX1x.jpg[/img]

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's worse than we feared. They're replacing the ACA with Dr. Zoidberg.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Cheeto Benito

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

drat hypocrite. Wasn't it just a few years ago when Ramirez's ilk were blistering about Our Brave Intelligence Community because it was "under attack" by Obama (rhetorical question; I think I already know the answer)?

It never ceases to amaze me how easily these people turn from their supposedly deeply held convictions on a dime.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is my mind just completely in the gutter for interpreting this as that he buttfucked all of them, men and women? I'm not familiar with other things having the back of your pants violently torn off could symbolize.

That was also my first thought, but I think he was going for an image of Trump "beating the pants off" the media; in other words, defeating them very thoroughly.

...I'm disturbed I couldn't find any other replies giving this explanation. Call me the Branco-whisperer, I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

If you wanted a successful business then you definitely should not have looked towards Trump.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

drat hypocrite. Wasn't it just a few years ago when Ramirez's ilk were blistering about Our Brave Intelligence Community because it was "under attack" by Obama (rhetorical question; I think I already know the answer)?

It never ceases to amaze me how easily these people turn from their supposedly deeply held convictions on a dime.

It's a weird nitpick for an already dumb cartoon, but the intelligence community was reporting that there were deep structural weaknesses in the Soviet Union well before it collapsed, and that the economic and political compromises Perestroika required were more likely to blow up in Gorbachev's face than actually save the Soviet economy.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/20080229.pdf (Brookings Institution article hosted on the CIA's FOIA site, so YMMV):

quote:

For example, in July 1977, the CIA reported the following:

The Soviet economy faces serious strains in the decade ahead. The simple growth formula upon which the economy has relied for more than a generation—maximum inputs of labor and capital—will no longer yield the sizeable annual growth which has provided resources needed for competing claims.... Reduced growth, as is foreshadowed over the next decade, will make pursuit of these objectives much more difficult, and pose hard choices for the leadership, which can have a major impact on Soviet relations with Eastern Europe and the West.
[...]
If the documentary record is clear, then why do so many people believe that the Intelligence Community failed to detect the Soviet Union’s social and economic problems in the late 1970s?

One reason may have been that, at the time, the Soviet Union seemed ascendant. It had matched and even surpassed the United States in several measures of military capability, such as numbers of intercontinental ballistic missiles. It had expanded its influence through military cooperation treaties with clients in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. The popular media (and the Intelligence Community) duly reported these events, and so the zeitgeist was that the Soviets were strong, and the United States was stuck in malaise. Since American officials did not effectively challenge this view in public, Americans logically concluded later that this reflected the intelligence they were reading.

Besides, nothing was inevitable about a Soviet collapse in the late 1970s. At that point, many outcomes were possible. A more ruthless leader might have held the state together for another ten or fifteen years; witness Alexander Lukashenko in Belarus and Kim Jong-Il in North Korea. A more flexible leader might have managed a ‘‘soft landing’’ for the Soviet Communist Party; witness the current situation in China. To provide a more definitive estimate fifteen years before the fact was impossible because the future was not yet certain. It never is.

quote:

In April 1991 the Office of Soviet Analysis (SOVA), the office within the Directorate of Intelligence that followed developments in the USSR, told U.S. leaders explicitly that the Soviet Union was in a state of crisis, offered a poor prognosis, and spelled out specific scenarios in which the regime could implode. In a memo titled, ‘‘The Soviet Cauldron,’’ SOVA’s director wrote,

The economy is in a downward spiral with no end in sight...inflationwas about 20 percent at the end of last year and will be at least double that this year...reliance on a top-down approach to problems, particularly in regard to republics, has generated a war of laws between various levels of power and created a legal mess to match the economic mess.... In this situation of growing chaos, explosive events havebecome increasingly possible.

The memo then went on to describe possible outcomes, which included the assassination of Gorbachev or Boris Yeltsin, or a coup by ‘‘reactionary leaders who judge that the last chance to act had come’’—which is, of course, exactly what later occurred.

quote:

Gates believes he gave Bush warning because the CIA had previously established the prerequisite conditions for there to be a coup, and he says that the President’s daily briefing for 17 August indicated that those conditions were present. Bush wanted to know whether any specific datum indicated what might happen or when, but Gates had no such specific datum.

These two different slants on the same material suggest just how controversial an assessment of whether one was ‘‘blindsided’’ can be, and they also highlight exactly where, if anywhere, the Intelligence Community fell short. To reach this last step in anticipating the Soviet collapse, the CIA would have needed first-hand information from the plotters themselves. Analysis alone can never fill that kind of gap, if only because an analysis is at best a probability assessment necessarily based on inference and deduction. The key datum that was lacking was, as Bush put it, the '‘specific information on what might happen or when.’’ This was a very tough piece of information to collect. Even Gorbachev lacked it, obviously.

(I use the CIA website as part of my job, please don't black helicopter me Secret Service duders reading this)

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Doc Hawkins posted:

That was also my first thought, but I think he was going for an image of Trump "beating the pants off" the media; in other words, defeating them very thoroughly.

...I'm disturbed I couldn't find any other replies giving this explanation. Call me the Branco-whisperer, I guess.

I think it's just "the press got their rear end chewed by Trump".

It also reminds of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Rhxok-h80
..which is the most agreeable thought a Branco cartoon has ever produced for me.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

The real top-story should be what the gently caress is wrong with his hand.

It's like he drew the microphone before remembering the guy is supposed to be holding it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The way it's laid out, it looks like someone in the White House is complaining about Trump while a reporter outside shrugs in resignation.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I appreciate that the editorial cartoonist community is almost universally dunking on Trump's far too long ties, tied so in an attempt to hide his grotesque body.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

No mention of intelligence around, say, 2003?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

TheBigAristotle posted:

Were they the ones who put up the "Mission Accomplished" banner that Obama spoke in front of?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I feel like this would benefit from some pixelation.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I wondered what Dees though of bitcoin. I always wanted him to find some crazy conspiracy with it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Come to think of it, I think there was also something that happened in May, 2011...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trogdos! posted:

Obama is so bad he's there twice
Ah yes, that mysterious, unknown, shadowy cabal working from behind the scenes, known only as "The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals". Hushed rumors suggest it truly exists, but the lamestream media doesn't want you knowing about it!

This is even more laughable in the face of the Elizabeth Warren thing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

CampingCarl posted:

I wondered what Dees though of bitcoin. I always wanted him to find some crazy conspiracy with it.

gently caress!
PRECIOUS METAL ALIENS ARE BURNING ALL OUR MONEY!
GET IN THE BUNKER!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Mr. Fish released this "cartoon"

goddamn do i hate mr fish

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Glad someone didnt forget about Jeb!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

goddamn do i hate mr fish

He's probably got the widest range between his good stuff and his bad stuff of anyone posted here.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It's the nuclear apocalypse. The rest of the comic is about scavenging for food and meaning in the apocalyptic wastelands of the American southwest, sporadically punctuated by terrible attempts at political satire.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Retromancer posted:

The CIA should be shuttered. AGC.

The CIA should be loving destroyed. Delenda est style.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What the hell is he talking about?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Basically "The liberals hate what (insert any right wing thing from the last 30 years) that I like so I'm gonna defend it out of pure spite! :corsair:".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

What the hell is he talking about?

Goat yoga is apparently a thing.

Tinsley is against it because it is new and different and strange.

I can't wait for the two-week delay to start absolutely biting him in the arse.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Somfin posted:

Goat yoga is apparently a thing.

Tinsley is against it because it is new and different and strange.

I can't wait for the two-week delay to start absolutely biting him in the arse.

Has it been two weeks since Trump announced his travel ban? I would love to see him show Mallard discussing how smoothly and effectively it was initiated.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

logger posted:

The real top-story should be what the gently caress is wrong with his hand.

It's like he drew the microphone before remembering the guy is supposed to be holding it.

Clearly like all MSM reporters this guy has started losing the essence of what is real after too much malicious "fake news" broadcasting and has started to physically fuse with the technology of his evil craft. A Videodrome cartoon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Jurgan posted:

Has it been two weeks since Trump announced his travel ban? I would love to see him show Mallard discussing how smoothly and effectively it was initiated.

Eh, didn't it become evident within hours of being announced that it was such a colossal shitshow?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

CampingCarl posted:

I've got to figure out how to edit this for my twitter banner.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Plan Z posted:

I've got to figure out how to edit this for my twitter banner.

You're welcome

edit: (a slightly less hosed up liquid rescale that is actually 1500x500)

Wheany fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2017

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Brother Entropy posted:

garrison believing in pizzagate is certainly a thing

I'm 100% certain that "satanists" brick is there because Garrison believes that the Spirit Cooking thing means that dems / the deep state, whatever you want to call it, literally worship satan and perform satanic rituals

He really is DDees lite

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pretty sure the CIA actually warned that 9/11 was in the offing at least twice before it happened. But if you like the taste of Republican dick, Ramirez, who am I to tell you to stop sucking it?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Jedit posted:

Pretty sure the CIA actually warned that 9/11 was in the offing at least twice before it happened. But if you like the taste of Republican dick, Ramirez, who am I to tell you to stop sucking it?

Also, there were warnings that the Japanese were aggressively setting up spy rings in the US, but you can't just attack the Japanese by saying "they were totally gonna do it." The Tet Offensive happened yeah, but so did The Battle of the Bulge and Kasserine. Militaries tend to take the element of surprise very seriously before performing operations as it's the difference between Barbarossa and Kursk. I just got over reading a book entirely about how American intelligence predicted almost to the month the collapse of the Soviet Union years ahead of time because it was something we were working towards for forty years so that's something he pulled out of his rear end.

On the flip side if an American politician were to be compromised under the Logan Act of conferring with the Japanese in a similar manner, I wonder what the general public reaction would be to it besides "the depression's still going on and I'm hungry."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Plan Z posted:

. I just got over reading a book entirely about how American intelligence predicted almost to the month the collapse of the Soviet Union years ahead of time because it was something we were working towards for forty years so that's something he pulled out of his rear end.
No, that's the overall cultural consensus. What's the title of the book, anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Ratoslov posted:

It's the nuclear apocalypse. The rest of the comic is about scavenging for food and meaning in the apocalyptic wastelands of the American southwest, sporadically punctuated by terrible attempts at political satire.

But enough about the Fallout franchise.

• Locked thread