Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

Argh, alarm didn't go off. Is there no way for me to watch the keynote until the day finishes and they put the whole thing up on archive?

There are non legit ways, sure.

It's not worth watching though, the good bits are all out as clips,news or officially like the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Well, at least my healer queues are going to be instant while I ignore red mage for two weeks because DPS is unplayable :sigh:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Cleeng stream is playing Rivenroad behind Up the Down Staircase and it's really disorienting.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I can't wait to organise a violent revolution and crush Garlemald. :yeah:

:same:

Send me in, coach. I'm ready!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Welp, better start prepping for that trip out east.

I am ready.

Yes. This is good.

I only regret that I just finished getting all the pieces of the Filibuster monk set and the MGS3 look will be *really* out of place in Not Yokohama.

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012
Here's a link to an album I made from the stream that's got all the informative slides and any screens I got from their videos.

http://imgur.com/a/4LbI0

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The clip of Revolutions, the Stormblood theme, wasn't much different to the other two themes were honestly.

The problem for Monks is that Samurai genuinely follows the same archetype from its description, but on paper it sounds just better.
Samurai is going to benefit from the existing slashing debuffs because it has a Katana. They're both slow build up classes that aren't 0-100, but where Samurai was described as being really good is that once it reaches its charge it does "massive" burst so it'll be an add killer. Monk isn't benefiting from other classes utility right now and doesn't have great consistently usable burst.

Honestly, SAM sounds like I would have wanted RDM to play and its burst, on paper, is how MNK should work. I'm not confident in MNK for 4.0 and their silence on 4.0 changes for combat is dreadful.

Holy poo poo, dude. Let them actually show the combat changes and new monk stuff before you freak out. You're dragging the cart behind you and leaving the horses several miles behind.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I'll gladly volunteer to be the kaishakunin for anyone falling on their sword after swearing up and down SAM would be a tank job. It's important to respect tradition. :japan:

No but really, wasn't expecting Monk gear. Interesting! Did we get any further info on red Mage?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Asimo posted:

Considering all the focus on Doma/Othard I half wonder if Ala Migho is getting nuked ultimaed or something halfway through the expansion. :tinfoil:

Remember, we have five major content patches worth of material to get through after Stormblood releases, AT MINIMUM. There's probably going to be more than enough material for us to bounce back and forth between all the cities.

Also, who the heck is the samurai guy. Surely that's not Derplander, is it?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 18, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Holy poo poo, dude. Let them actually show the combat changes and new monk stuff before you freak out. You're dragging the cart behind you and leaving the horses several miles behind.

It's not exactly unfounded when they're describing the classes and they're sharing gear and fulfilling a very similar archetype. It's hard to put faith in any combat changes when they're not actually showing anything about them or even discussing them on a minor level when it's the literal most important thing they've mentioned. It's not freaking out to discuss something based on what we have so far. Freaking out is like "gently caress YOU YOSHI SUB CANCELLED PREORDER CANCELLED GAME IS DEAD gently caress YOU gently caress EVERYTHING"
:shrug:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

People are freaking out about them not saying anything about the combat changes, while forgetting (or not being here for) that they didn't show any of the new HW moves and stuff until, like, a month or two before launch.

They aren't going to give details about those changes until they're absolutely sure they'll be set in stone. Nobody should expect a word on it until April at the earliest.

edit

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Remember, we have five major content patches worth of material to get through after Stormblood releases, AT MINIMUM. There's probably going to be more than enough material for us to bounce back and forth between all the cities.

Also, who the heck is the samurai guy. Surely that's not Derplander, is it?

Yep, I fully suspect there'll be a lot of bouncing, and also that the story will more cleanly extend out to 4.4. I think they know the HW patch stuff felt a little disjointed.

Also that does appear to be Derplander.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 18, 2017

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Well, at least my healer queues are going to be instant while I ignore red mage for two weeks because DPS is unplayable :sigh:

The hell with trying to level new jobs, it's all going to be about hitting the new level cap and doing story and raid and other endgame content. I'm not going to be touching any new jobs for a while.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Even the release date still shows as (Tentative) so that goes to show how confident they are about any aspect of this expasion.

I seriously expected the merchant turtle Beast Tribe primal to be Yojimbo. I would've bet on it, it made too much sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Even the release date still shows as (Tentative) so that goes to show how confident they are about any aspect of this expasion.

It doesn't show that at all. It means "it's entirely possible it can be delayed by any amount of time, be it a week or a month, and therefore we're not saying it's nailed on so you can't say "you promised!""

It's a different kettle of fish entirely to proposing the entire game system is changing and not doing anything to say how it is when it's so close to release and the last high profile indepth chance to do so. Y'all realise you're allowed to say "this isn't so good" yet still like the greater whole and think it's going in a good direction right? You don't just have to blow smoke.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Doma is full on edo period japan and it's amazing

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Guys, there is a city under the ocean. The hell with Doma, it's a city under the drat ocean!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

It doesn't show that at all. It means "it's entirely possible it can be delayed by any amount of time, be it a week or a month, and therefore we're not saying it's nailed on so you can't say "you promised!""

Yep, which is also why they aren't talking combat changes in depth. They assiduously avoid the problems other devs constantly bumble into on sounding like they're promising something, so they say nothing until they're sure it's clad in iron.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I seriously expected the merchant turtle Beast Tribe primal to be Yojimbo. I would've bet on it, it made too much sense.

They already said it'll be a Final Fantasy version of Susano-o. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanoo-no-Mikoto

(edit: I would be willing to put real money on the idea that the patch primals/trials will include the "Final Fantasy X set" of summons - so Yojimbo, Valefor, Ixion. FFX always had a much heavier Japanese/Ainu themeing so it'd make sense to do them now, and it's also clear why we're getting those minions now :v: )

Philonius posted:

Doma is full on edo period japan and it's amazing

I'm not going to lie, it looks amazing and takes my inner japanophile to maximum and I do not care :swoon:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 18, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Guys, there is a city under the ocean. The hell with Doma, it's a city under the drat ocean!

Reminds me of Mu from Final Fantasy Legend 3. Glub Glub!
Edit: in fact, lots of things remind me of the Final Fantasy Legend areas. This is good.

SpaceDrake posted:

People are freaking out about them not saying anything about the combat changes, while forgetting (or not being here for) that they didn't show any of the new HW moves and stuff until, like, a month or two before launch.

I kept my ear to the ground despite the lead up to Heavensward being a low point in my playtime (had to scrounge up the cash for it :v:) and I only knew about the BRD changes after I logged in, saw someone go 'wtf BRD is different,' class changed and went 'huh, that's different.'

They've done well enough that the only point I'm miffed about is waiting for more details on the new class moves.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

I suspect one of two things: they showed off Gyr Abania at the NA fanfest, so they might think that's "enough" until like April or so when the PR machine spins up more fully, so it'll still be there but they just aren't showing much.

The other option is that they aren't showing much... because Ala Mhigo itself is going to be patch content. 3.0 will start with getting the Gyr Abania rebellion going and then shifting over to Othard once we actually inspire a wider anti-Imperial rebellion, and then most of 3.0 is spent on Othard opening a full front there. The patch content is then heavily about Ala Mhigo and getting that over the finish line.

With the way they're hyping Zenos as a badass evil guy, I'm expecting us to go straight to Ala Mhigo and Zenos is just all, "Sup? Get the gently caress out of my province," kicks the poo poo out of WoL and friends. We're redirected to Doma afterwards from to liberate it in order to build a stronger force so we can go back to Ala Mhigo and kick Zenos out in the last act.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Leveling sam and rdm will be easier than it was to level nin thanks to potd existing, although I am sure the constantly shambling party of 4x rdm/sam and people who don't know wtf might make that more difficult than it should be. Sam reveal was weak as hell though, just a boring looking 1-2-3 combo and then some weird move it's hard to glean the mechanics of without any UI although it looking like a Revana counterattack was cute. I'm not sold on it yet and I should be because I am a giant weeb and at all times want to be a Iai-using samurai.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Didn't we already learn what the combat revamp was going to comprise of, beyond the finer details of job actions?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
As disapointed as I am that we're not getting Blue Mage this time around. SAM and RDM both sound like they could be pretty interesting. Plus, with me already being in the process of levelling a MNK. I'll at least already have some gear for SAM ready to go.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CrashScreen posted:

Didn't we already learn what the combat revamp was going to comprise of, beyond the finer details of job actions?

All we know about the combat revamp:

1. That there is going to be one
2. That rather than nerf outlier jobs such as WAR and SCH, they'd rather bring everyone else up to their level
3. They're aware of concerns over the amount of buttons we currently have to push and the problems with adding yet more buttons on top of that
Edit: 4. They're looking at making changes/adjustments to the Cross Class skill system. ('Essential cross class skills like provoke not being tied to a specific class')

That's pretty much it AFAIK.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 18, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Grimace posted:

:same:

Send me in, coach. I'm ready!

The only problem is now I'm hoping 4.x somehow ends with the beast tribes joining the Alliance, and 5.0 involves taking the fight straight to Garlemald with some insane combination of Limsa/Gridania/Ul'dah/Ishgard/Ala Mhigo/Doma + all the beast tribes as a standing army.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

oh man, Koji and Soken go all the way back to Mario Hoops. "CAN YOU RAP?!?!"

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

All we know about the combat revamp:

1. That there is going to be one
2. That rather than nerf outlier jobs such as WAR and SCH, they'd rather bring everyone else up to their level
3. They're aware of concerns over the amount of buttons we currently have to push and the problems with adding yet more buttons on top of that

That's pretty much it AFAIK.

They also said something about revamping/making adjustments to the cross-class skill system. That's all we know though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Virulence posted:

They also said something about revamping/making adjustments to the cross-class skill system. That's all we know though.

Knew I was forgetting something, thanks!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Virulence posted:

Specifically: a lot of the "essential" cross-classes will no longer be bound to individual classes. All jobs of a role will instead pull from a pool of cross-job abilities that they can choose from. So even if you never level WHM, you'll still have access to Cleric Stance, for example, or you won't have to take DRG to 34 just to get Invigorate for your shiny new SAM.

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012
People starting to take closer looks at the maps

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Do we know if preorder early access is happening again ?

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Do we know if preorder early access is happening again ?

Yes.

CrimsonObserver fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 18, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It's not exactly unfounded when they're describing the classes and they're sharing gear and fulfilling a very similar archetype. It's hard to put faith in any combat changes when they're not actually showing anything about them or even discussing them on a minor level when it's the literal most important thing they've mentioned. It's not freaking out to discuss something based on what we have so far. Freaking out is like "gently caress YOU YOSHI SUB CANCELLED PREORDER CANCELLED GAME IS DEAD gently caress YOU gently caress EVERYTHING"
:shrug:

You didn't even know samurai was a thing until a couple hours ago and you're already convinced monk is hosed because of them, dude. That's not reasonable at all.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

CrimsonObserver posted:

People starting to take closer looks at the maps

Also, the original Sharlayan and Thavnair are on the map too.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

:lol: That Samurai scene is so loving corny I love it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well that looked exciting. I know which class I'll be leveling 4th now.

I'm most excited about the tiny dialogue changes I'll get for being a Ninja.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

The early sketches for Zenos yae Galvus are very reminiscent of Golbez to me. Probably partially from the horns and colors chosen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I wonder if you'll get the tiny dialogue changes for having the class leveled, or if you need to be currently playing as it.

I think the former is what has always been the case so far, but.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

If there isnt a anime emote to flick the blood off your sword I am not sure i can play SAM.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

If there isnt a anime emote to flick the blood off your sword I am not sure i can play SAM.

The pose they showed with the Samurai sheathing his sword involved using the elbow and sleeve of his robe to clean blood from the blade in one swift motion, so if that's what you want you'll get your wish.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Iaijutsu.

The Grimace posted:

The pose they showed with the Samurai sheathing his sword involved using the elbow and sleeve of his robe to clean blood from the blade in one swift motion, so if that's what you want you'll get your wish.
That poo poo was straight out of Metal Gear Rising.

I'm trying not to mark the gently caress out for SAM but I'm having trouble guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Pierson posted:

Iaijutsu.

That poo poo was straight out of Metal Gear Rising.

I'm trying not to mark the gently caress out for SAM but I'm having trouble guys.

http://i.imgur.com/66qmiqX.gifv

• Locked thread