Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jose posted:

did the hisoka side chapter ever get released with the art finished?

Was that canon? I know Togashi knew about it but I don't know if he said it was canon. I hope not because it's fairly generic.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I want Hisoka to put Texture Surprise on Chrollo's book and see how it plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goooooooood

e:

forgot all about this old man spider with the cute anime girl eyes.
wish i could forget him again

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

But as to the who would win debate, Morel already explained this. You don't know how Nen battles will go because 95% of the time you won't know what your opponent can do and so straight up comparing powers is pointless. I mean for example do you really think a guy like Leol had a chance in hell against Morel if he hadn't prepared to meet to meet him in a church basement where his stolen ability could be used to full effect? That's how Nen battles go in this series, there is no straight up simple fight where one person is just stronger by default.

Well actually Leol probably could have won had he picked a different spot to fight him. Cause if he had picked somewhere else Morel would not have been able to poison him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Asuron posted:

But as to the who would win debate, Morel already explained this. You don't know how Nen battles will go because 95% of the time you won't know what your opponent can do and so straight up comparing powers is pointless. I mean for example do you really think a guy like Leol had a chance in hell against Morel if he hadn't prepared to meet to meet him in a church basement where his stolen ability could be used to full effect? That's how Nen battles go in this series, there is no straight up simple fight where one person is just stronger by default.

Well, within reason. If one person is much, much faster and stronger he/she will almost always win, and this is particularly true with enhancement folks. Like, there is jack poo poo Gon or Killua could have done to win against, say, Pitou if Gon's freak transformation weren't a factor (which wouldn't normally be the case).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Almost every fight in HxH is set-up so it doesn't just come down to who is faster or stronger so I don't know why you're coming to these conclusions.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Morel himself said the minute you start thinking about things in terms of raw ability, you lose.

The whole back half of the Chimera Ant arc is the "Genetically superior" ants getting punked by "Weaker" humans with more experience and a broader understanding of how to use their abilities.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They localised it as Ngig in the licensed manga, so I would imagine they're either cutting the frames where the original anagram is there in the latin alphabet or they're going to ask Madhouse to swap it up? Seems like they probably wouldn't bother though after so long...

I saw a suggestion to just use a different disguise entirely - flipping the letters instead of anagramming them

They'd have to change the font a little, but doing something like this could work:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Morel himself said the minute you start thinking about things in terms of raw ability, you lose.

The whole back half of the Chimera Ant arc is the "Genetically superior" ants getting punked by "Weaker" humans with more experience and a broader understanding of how to use their abilities.

Yeah, I'm only talking about situations where there's such a big gap that one person can't even follow the other person's movements. Like Gon and Killua against the Ryodan in the Yorknew arc (or when they first met Pitou, for that matter). Even though the Chairman's physical abilities were inferior to the King and Royal Guards', he was still at least close enough to be able to follow their movements and respond accordingly (as opposed to pretty much anyone else, who would get killed by the King before they even know what was happening).

edit: I'll grant that there are still rare exceptions, like Kurapika creating abilities that can only be used against a specific group of people, but I imagine most hunters don't have abilities quite that focused.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

Almost every fight in HxH is set-up so it doesn't just come down to who is faster or stronger so I don't know why you're coming to these conclusions.

because almost every fight in hxh has rules and conditions so there isnt even a traditional fight to begin with but normally if theres huge power gaps you get thrashed no matter what (uvogin vs shadow beasts, genthru vs gon until gon stopped giving a gently caress, gon vs hisoka, the second half of the chimera arc)

I think hxh does proper power levels better than anyone its just the win conditions on a lot of fights aren't "beat your opponent down"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drjuggalo posted:

because almost every fight in hxh has rules and conditions so there isnt even a traditional fight to begin with but normally if theres huge power gaps you get thrashed no matter what (uvogin vs shadow beasts, genthru vs gon until gon stopped giving a gently caress, gon vs hisoka, the second half of the chimera arc)

I think hxh does proper power levels better than anyone its just the win conditions on a lot of fights aren't "beat your opponent down"

I think the meaning of what Morau said is more "you can never be 100% sure of a victory, because for all you know the guy you're fighting could have some weird ability that is really strong against you specifically."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also Bisky's explanation to Killua that everyone's abilities have a range depending on mood and rest etc. So they might be at their lowest level and you might be at your highest level.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Meruem being utterly powerless against Komugi is probably the best example of it. He's infinitely more powerful than her in every way, but she has him beat. It's just not a fist fight.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Even when it comes to fights, somewhere around the first Spiders arc, all the better fighters had, essentially, one hit kills. So the fights are all about enemy skill awareness, forcing the opponent into unfavourable conditions and taking the opportunity when it presents itself.

One of my favourite examples of this is the anti-Ant plan. Set up a smokescreen, teleport in to grab an Ant, teleport it to Netero, repeat until not viable anymore. This kind of tactic has been around from the start, as early as Gon stealing Hisoka's tag (and possibly earlier, but I'm going off memory).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I saw a suggestion to just use a different disguise entirely - flipping the letters instead of anagramming them

They'd have to change the font a little, but doing something like this could work:

that's an awful lot of trouble to get rid of an incomplete word that coincidentally resembles a racial slur

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's an awful lot of trouble to get rid of an incomplete word that coincidentally resembles a racial slur

But it's so problematic.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Should've just left it Nigg with a footnote explaining "This is how it is in Japanese; the similarity to a slur is pure coincidence," much like how Dark Horse handwaved the swastika in Blade of the Immortal by explaining its Asian roots before it got snatched up by the Nazis.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, a lot of my reaction to it was disbelief to the fact that I'd only ever seen it as NGIG before and never in my mind imagined that it was something that was changed to sanitise it. Gon's pronunciation doesn't help, thanks to the mechanics of Japanese language though.

I'm near the end of the Chimera Ant Narration Arc in the anime now and thinking back on it, nothing much really comes out of Meruem's "consumed nen is added to his natural ability" thing does it?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You can always localize the pronounciation as Niji or something like that too.

That or change Ging's name to Fuccboi like it was always meant to be.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Should've just left it Nigg with a footnote explaining "This is how it is in Japanese; the similarity to a slur is pure coincidence," much like how Dark Horse handwaved the swastika in Blade of the Immortal by explaining its Asian roots before it got snatched up by the Nazis.

That + pronouncing it "neej" (since the dub goes with "jeen" for the pronunciation of Ging) is pretty much the best way to handle it without going through the effort of reanimating that segment.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly, a lot of my reaction to it was disbelief to the fact that I'd only ever seen it as NGIG before and never in my mind imagined that it was something that was changed to sanitise it. Gon's pronunciation doesn't help, thanks to the mechanics of Japanese language though.

I'm near the end of the Chimera Ant Narration Arc in the anime now and thinking back on it, nothing much really comes out of Meruem's "consumed nen is added to his natural ability" thing does it?
It's the real threat hanging over the operation.

You've got a limited window to kill this guy before he becomes unstoppable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd not go so far to say Chimera Ant is flawless because its pacing is just a bit too slow overall*, some of it just takes a bit too long, but I had forgotten just how fantastic of a story it is ultimately. I'm glad Togashi at least got as far to have finished this up, regardless of how much or little more there is of HxH before it's officially finished/cancelled due to his health.

* - No Leorio or Hisoka either, which knocks a couple of points off for me. Kurapika too I guess but eh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
togashi should stop being niggardly with chapters imo

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hisoka is a rude guy & I don't like how he looks at them little boys butts. Sorry if this offends but I wasn't raised tht way.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

by the netero fight he was already godly in nen and won the fight, his reborn form was even more bonkers and even by the end of the manga i bet he'll be the strongest character we'll have ever seen.

I love how by the elections togashi is peeling back the layers to what the real world is and kinda implies the hunters have been trying to make reforms to get stronger hunters because they know how hosed up the world actually is. I feel like theres so much more to this story togashi already set up and wanted to tell and i really really loving hope at least some of it does before the year 2025

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 17, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

drjuggalo posted:

by the netero fight he was already godly in nen and won the fight, his reborn form was even more bonkers and even by the end of the manga i bet he'll be the strongest character we'll have ever seen.

I love how by the elections togashi is peeling back the layers to what the real world is and kinda implies the hunters have been trying to make reforms to get stronger hunters because they know how hosed up the world actually is. I feel like theres so much more to this story togashi already set up and wanted to tell and i really really loving hope at least some of it does before the year 2025

In the yeeeeeaaaaaar 2025

a new chapter of hunter x hunter still hasn't arrived

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

drjuggalo posted:

thats gon actually pitou admits as much

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pitou never meets the King after he improves after kicking the bucket, so Pitou thinking swole Gon could probably take the King is based on the before that so he's probably still the most powerful character we've seen ultimately.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Technically Gon only grew to the point where he could defeat Pitou which doesn't mean that's the strongest he could be :goonsay:

But yeah perfect En insta-teleporting Meruem is never seen by Pitou.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bad Seafood posted:

Also Meruem and his colony were only considered a B rank threat so lol at everyone sailing over to the Dark Continent

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Also Meruem and his colony were only considered a B rank threat so lol at everyone sailing over to the Dark Continent

That doesn't mean the Dark Contient creatures are necessarily stronger, just more dangerous. Meruem was a relatively lower threat because at the end of the day you can nuke him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Unfortunately, the Dark Continent is home to the most powerful Nen user "Togashi" whose Nen stops time forever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Unfortunately, the Dark Continent is home to the most powerful Nen user "Togashi" whose Nen stops time forever.

I'm pretty sure that character is from the arc Dragon Quest.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Am I misremembering, or did they gently caress with how Kite was introduced in the 2011 anime?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Weird poo poo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They skipped over his intro until they meet him after Greed Island.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Even then they don't do it in full, it's really dumb.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

And then the problem is that it makes gons reaction to what pitou does to kite seem a bit of an overreaction, whereas in the mang it makes more sense.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I totally agree. When Gon and Killua get transported to Kite after Greed Island in the anime, it feels like bad writing that we've never heard of Kite before. In the manga your experience is "holy chap it's Kite from chapter one who told Gon who his father was and set him on the path to being a hunter!". You also don't get the setup for Gon being loved by animals which sets up the navigators and Killua's dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, I think they very much changed their approach to the adaption midway into the first arc. In the beginning, they shifted events around a lot, but by the time the story reaches Trick Tower, it basically turned into a completely faithful adaption. I guess they weren't sure about the success and didn't wanted to waste time on a setup that wouldn't become relevant until literally years later, so they streamlined a lot of stuff. But once it became clear that they probably could keep going until the end of the manga, they took great care to keep everything.