Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Josh Jackson is up to 35% from 3 this year. Free throw percentage is still poo poo, but god drat is it a good sign to see his shot coming around.

I'd be really tempted by him at #1. Am I a dumbass? And I love Fultz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
pretty dumb yeah

Also re: the 3 point shooting

MourningView posted:

They tend to correlate really well outside of very rare cases like Bruce Bowen. Low FT% but high 3 pt% is a pretty good sign that someone's 3 pt% might be a sample size fluke that won't carry over (good recent example is Justise Winslow). I think college FT% actually has a higher corellation with NBA 3 pt% just because the sample is larger

E: the best formula people have found for projecting NBA shooting is some combination of college FT% and 3 point attempts as far I know, but maybe there's been a recent breakthrough there I missed

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Fultz is a much much easier choice for the Sixers than like the Lakers or Celtics, who should also pick him without thinking about it too much.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MourningView posted:

pretty dumb yeah

Also re: the 3 point shooting

Fair enough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Jaron Blossomgame, I'm not sure how he will do in the pros. Like a SF who primarily scores in the post is probably not gonna do much in the league. Funny enough his shot looked great when I saw it but he's like a 27% three point shooter. He's also currently like five years older than than Brandon Ingram. Still, I kind of feel like maybe with the right team he could find a way to stick around a long time as a role player.

Chimezie Metu, I'm probably not gonna get a whole game of this season with what's left, so I will have to go on observing a few separate halves. He is the type of guy who I think whose stock will go up in team's workouts, because he has a knack for knowing when to cut and he finishes well around the rim and those are the bigs that tend to move up when they also have measurements (or at least they have recently). Also he could maybe be a good rim protector. He has a lot of bad basketball fundamentals though which lead to hilarious things like guys who are like 6'4" constantly boxing him out on the boards and has a very ugly post game.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Metu is a player I like

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Fultz is unreal

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I think he's the best guard prospect I've ever seen

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Donovan Mitchell doesn't really look like he'd be a good athlete but he can be pretty explosive. He seems fairly comfortable being a cog in an offense which sounds like a knock but a lot of the guys who will probably go higher stop when they don't have the ball. He's not as natural of a passer as some other guys but he does make some nice reads, and seems to have a good basketball mind. At times he kind of looks like mini Artest, completely locking into guys, and hunting every ball that comes loose, other times he looks completely bored. The height is a determent for sure, as is the shot (he has the high school heave) but I don't think guys are going to enjoy screening him very much, I could see him staying on the floor on a team who wouldn't need him to score. I feel like his role on the next level is backup/replacement guard. My unfounded idea when looking at his body is that because he's like a short stout dude he won't get injured a lot but I am not a doctor so who knows.

I like Devote Graham in the context of that Kansas team. He's not really taking his threes from NBA range but still his shooting is hard to argue with. He's quick and can get to the basket or turn the corner for his shot well. He's short and thin though so he might have a hard time defending anyone under any circumstance. Also he's a jr. I dunno, I could see him shooting the lights out in the combine or the tournament and creeping up to the high second, maybe even the end of the first but he kind of looks like the classic "let's bring him into summer league and kick the tires on him" player.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So with the Boogie trade to NO do they continue course and potentially pick up one of Fox or Monk? Or do they have another trade in them to complete their trio.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Khagan posted:

So with the Boogie trade to NO do they continue course and potentially pick up one of Fox or Monk? Or do they have another trade in them to complete their trio.

Rumors from a bartender in NOLA at the hotel most of the owners were staying at had them possibly getting Paul George but this was before the Cousins deal.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Khagan posted:

If New Orleans keeps their pick then it will be top 3 and they probably aren't taking either of those guys. Otherwise they won't have a first round pick and they probably won't have the ammo to trade for one so Fox and Monk probably aren't on the table for the Pelicans right now.

Unless you were wondering how the Kings complete the Hield/WCS/??? trio

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Nah I'm convinced the Kings front office is resetting at this point. Most mock drafts I've seen have NO getting the 9th pick.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 20, 2017

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
NO traded their pick so not sure what you are getting at.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hand Row posted:

NO traded their pick so not sure what you are getting at.

And those mocks are from before the trade last night.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
e: nvm

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Khagan posted:

Nah I'm convinced the Kings front office is resetting at this point. Most mock drafts I've seen have NO getting the 9th pick.

They're 2 games out of the playoffs and just added a major talent. They will almost certainly make the playoffs

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Glumslinger posted:

They're 2 games out of the playoffs and just added a major talent. They will almost certainly make the playoffs

Eeeeeh. Denver is playing much better than earlier in the season and a big trade rarely gels immediately. It'll be close.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

If that's the case then rumors of a CP3 homecoming are even more likely.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Almost certainly is a huge overstatement. They probably would need to win like 15/16 games out of their remaining schedule to make it, which would be 15-10 in their finals games. Their wing and guard rotations are really, really bad.

They literally have 4 guards on their roster right now.

Jrue Holiday
Etwuan Moore
Tim Frazier
Quincy Poindexter just kidding he's dead

At least two of those guys need to be on the court at all times for them for 25 games.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 21, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pondexter isn't playing this year, fyi.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kibner posted:

RIP

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Kibner posted:

I'm ready for the Omri Casspi Shooting Guard experiment.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm ready for the Omri Casspi Shooting Guard experiment.

They really need to do something if they want a chance to make the playoffs.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Paul Zuvella posted:

They really need to do something if they want a chance to make the playoffs.

With the Cousins trade we can't do much. We've got no cap space and no real assets. The only thing we could do is try to trade for some serviceable guards but we have nothing of value besides some incredibly cheap contracts like Jones that don't work for getting back anything of use. Unless someone really wants Omri Casspi's expiring or something. That's what happens when you've got 14 million locked up in two centers who can't play and can't trade.

The team's just gonna sign some d-league level/washed up guards like Mario freakin Chalmers and Reggie Williams and just tell them to throw the ball at Boogie and AD.

What's actually going to happen is we're going to be play Moore, Holiday, and Frazier over 30 minutes each. That's just the end of it. Sometimes we'll having both Hill and Cunningham as the "wings" when Moore sits. It's a joke but I'm fine with this small joke to snatch Cousins.

Next year we'll stretch Asik and attempt to sign someone like Reddick or Korver if we can. Not even sure if we can afford that after Jrue gets maxed, though.

edit: I'm just imagining the Pelicans being cosmically lucky and just barely missing out on the playoffs to somehow get that 1 in 50 or 100 shot and get Fultz. Do it for me, universe.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 21, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

How good/bad are D-League guys really? Like Quinn Cook, Pierre Jackson, Manny Harris... I still believe Pierre Jackson is an NBA talent but his hamstring is probably still injured

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fast Luck posted:

How good/bad are D-League guys really? Like Quinn Cook, Pierre Jackson, Manny Harris... I still believe Pierre Jackson is an NBA talent but his hamstring is probably still injured

The good G-League guards are a relatively safe bet for a 12th man. The bigs generally suck.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
John Collins is going to be a fringe lottery pick quite possibly and almost no one is talking about him.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

DeimosRising posted:

Eeeeeh. Denver is playing much better than earlier in the season and a big trade rarely gels immediately. It'll be close.

I believe NO plays Denver 3 more times, and offensively talented bigs feast on the Nuggets. Those games are gonna be nasty.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kibner posted:

The good G-League guards are a relatively safe bet for a 12th man. The bigs generally suck.

With Hassan Whiteside being the notable exception

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Trier is ranked like 69 but like the way he's playing lately I would spend a spend a second on him if the good PGs were gone.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Ball family is really aggravating.

https://twitter.com/ironmikeluke/status/835611155301183492

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Oh, word?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
ESPN said it was a fake tweet for what it's worth.

E: although I am really turned off by the Ball dad too.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 26, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

ESPN said it was a fake tweet for what it's worth.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/25/14740734/lonzo-ball-father-lakers-ucla-bruins-2017-nba-draft

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ugh. I don't think Ball is a good fit with the Lakers anyway even if they do keep their pick.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

Ugh. I don't think Ball is a good fit with the Lakers anyway even if they do keep their pick.

Yeah but that kind of attitude, confidence, swagger...he belongs under the bright lights of la la land...he's perfect, and Magic knows it...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah but that kind of attitude, confidence, swagger...he belongs under the bright lights of la la land...he's perfect, and Magic knows it...

Yeah )=

I am trying to watch Zach Collins and this guy won't loving pass to him in the post.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I suppose you could make the argument that ball is big enough to guard sgs, so he can share the floor with D'angelo. But he's not that long or athletic, so it's not as natural an arrangement as the hand wave people want to make it seem. Also, D'angelo seems much better when hes handling the ball a lot and working in th eflow of an offense. Just sticking him to the side and asking him to play like Lou Williams or something while Lonzo is the Real pg seems like a waste of talent. I'm really afraid of Lonzo Ball as an NBA prospect, he could really contribute to the right team or he could be useless on a team without spacing and athleticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lmao why would you even want to play for the lakers at this point.

• Locked thread