Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

clamiam45 posted:

I'm really curious what sort of research question you're going after with this, especially because selection bias / differential nonresponse seems like a huge deal.
It's an undergrad project of very limited scope, so I'm not terribly concerned about sampling errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Mikujin posted:

I am certainly appreciative of any and all input! Getting some perspective from a non-US resident (I'm only recently a resident, myself), is always great and will definitely help to direct future follow-up.

In a shock to no one, Booster Draft is the fan favorite format, and modern is the most popular constructed format by far.

Also going to report The Survey Link shamelessly in an effort to draw a bit more attention to it. Please feel free to share the link with any friends or playgroups , too - I'm always down for more data! ;)

No Frontier option, survey is garbage

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Siivola posted:

It's a 60 card pregen with two boosters bundled in so you can hopefully make it a bit less poo poo. No box, far as I can tell. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/aether-revolt-planeswalker-deck-lists-2017-01-11

They come with boxes, the ajani deck is so bad at the prerelease event we played matches with these for the double sided foil token promo and it lost every game to the tez deck no matter who played it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No matter the game, turns out starter decks are always terrible. :v:

It's a bit of a pain because I'd actually like to try getting into Actual Cardboard Magic sometime, despite everything. But it seriously looks like the only newbie-friendly thing out there is... What, sealed? Good luck trying to rope me into constructed when the products are either boosters or boxes of crap. I mean, after the starter I'm apparently expected to buy the Deck Builder's Toolkit, but that's just a box of singletons. The gently caress would I buy that for? Is Peasant Highlander some kind of thing?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 18, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So status report on my Esper Walkers/tempo deck.

Every time I had Baraa's expertise in my hand, I really wished it was a fumigate. I think running fumigate and Spell Queller main deck is possible. After sideboard I may take out some quellers for 2 Yahaani's expertise and a Linvala depending on the match up.

1-2 to B/G aggro. Game one we both had slow starts, but I was able to remove everything he played until I could stick an Ob Nix.
Game 2 and 3 would have been in the bag if I had fumigate..

Got the bye

Game 3
This is a bad sample, because the kid is running U/R burn without fevered visions, and it is never close.

I played matches in between games against Jeskai control and Jeskai copycat, and the deck works really well against them.
After sideboard you have 4 Spell Quellers, 3 negates, 3 dispels, 4 transgress the minds, a Ghonti, and a Kambal (these two replace Kalitas)

So my focus is just finding the perfect medium of board wipe. Thinking 2 Fumigate main and 1-2 Yahaani's expertise board.
Note: Fatal push is the poo poo.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

quote:

Finally, it's time to introduce the bread and butter of the game to the new players: the expansion boosters. This is obviously the focus of the game, and it is the thing new players will always be driven to by other invested players because it's where the most excitement lies.

Do they really believe this? When I started playing magic a few months ago I heard from every single person 'Do not buy boosters, buy singles'. Who is telling people to just open packs?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bigperm posted:

Do they really believe this? When I started playing magic a few months ago I heard from every single person 'Do not buy boosters, buy singles'. Who is telling people to just open packs?

Well to draft you'll need three packs, so it's not wrong

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wizards just plain can't admit that you should ever buy singles, because that'd mean admitting that buying their core product is stupid.

Edit: Okay, so sometimes they kinda skirt the issue, like whenever they publish budget decklists.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

bigperm posted:

At FNM last week a guy was looking for Panharmonicons for his deck. Opened up about half a box looking for them. This happens all the time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

At FNM last week a guy was looking for Panharmonicons for his deck. Opened up about half a box looking for them. This happens all the time.

But he could've just...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

odiv posted:

I like gambling/cracking packs more than the average poster ITT, but today my CFB envelope showed up with my Gifted Aetherborns, Aethersphere Harvesters, Greenbelt Rampagers and Murders and that was a hell of a lot easier than feverishly cracking a box at FNM hoping to get what my decks need

And I was able to get the plainly superior Conspiracy 2 Murders which my store doesn't even have

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
For shame not getting the M13 version.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Went to a different LGS for FNM last night. Store was running MTG, Yugioh, and CardFight Vanguard all at the same time.

Not that nearly 100 CCG players in a single room would ever smell good, but my god it smelled like an armpit convention. Every 60-90 minutes, a store employee would double fist some febreeze spray bottles and walk the store, spraying generously down the aisles between tables like a miserable crop duster.

Played 4C copy cat and lost a bunch. Probably half due to bad play on my part, and the other half to ineffective/incorrect sideboarding. Deck itself seems fine.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

araeris posted:

Went to a different LGS for FNM last night. Store was running MTG, Yugioh, and CardFight Vanguard all at the same time.

Not that nearly 100 CCG players in a single room would ever smell good, but my god it smelled like an armpit convention. Every 60-90 minutes, a store employee would double fist some febreeze spray bottles and walk the store, spraying generously down the aisles between tables like a miserable crop duster.

Played 4C copy cat and lost a bunch. Probably half due to bad play on my part, and the other half to ineffective/incorrect sideboarding. Deck itself seems fine.

Comments like this make me really appreciate my LGS. It's definitely a small modern crew but it's a good blend of cool dudes and competitive decks too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

araeris posted:

There is a small store in north Texas in the area I am from that does this. At this point they are out of chairs for FNM because the store is so packed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

odiv posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to new pack smell! It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Reminds me of a new guy at our store who wants to build Modern Mill, so he bought into Infect in order to build up the prize money needed for Mill :shepface:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to new pack smell! It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Reminds me of a new guy at our store who wants to build Modern Mill, so he bought into Infect in order to build up the prize money needed for Mill :shepface:

this is confusing for a lot of reasons, the main one being that mill costs that much more then infect?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Wha... what

Like, what in the gently caress

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
4-0 first placed my local FNM last night with Energy Fog (24 players)

It's hilarious how good this silly deck is this aggro standard.

I beat BG Constrictor, Mardu Vehicles, Mono Blue Aetherflux and a Mono Black vehicles deck with Hearts, Harvesters, removal and Kalitas

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That abzan scales deck may or may not be good, but it looks sweet and fun to play.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like that scg has 2 matches going on and are instead doing really weird banter while waiting for a third to start

by like I mean am incredibly confused by

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i am absolutely disgusted the pun is amonkitty instead of amoncat

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

i am absolutely disgusted the pun is amonkitty instead of amoncat

Kaladesh has Monkey Cats. A Monkey Cat. A Monk Cat. Amonkhet. I like this inter-block synergy.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
At a GPT or something a few years ago when Hornet Queen was still in Standard a guy bought a box of M15 and opened it right before the tournament started... because he wanted a Hornet token.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Boco_T posted:

At a GPT or something a few years ago when Hornet Queen was still in Standard a guy bought a box of M15 and opened it right before the tournament started... because he wanted a Hornet token.

wat

but

wat

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GeneX posted:

I like that scg has 2 matches going on and are instead doing really weird banter while waiting for a third to start

by like I mean am incredibly confused by

I guess they expect people to watch the gp vancouver stream between games or something

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Boco_T posted:

This is really silly. You need four Hornet tokens, so he should have opened four boxes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

This is really silly. You need four Hornet tokens, so he should have opened four boxes.

Nah you really only need two, one for your untapped tokens and one for your tapped tokens.

Then use dice to count your untapped/tapped tokens. Easy.

A 200 dollar savings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Whose idea was it to pair Traverse and grindy cards with Death's shadow? I've seen it a few times, seems like it's a real deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Wha... what

Like, what in the gently caress

I don't know either, I haven't actually played against him on Infect but one of the regulars here corroborated the story. This was right after the Probe ban, so maybe he took advantage of someone overreacting and dumping their whole deck? Or borrowed it?

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is confusing for a lot of reasons, the main one being that mill costs that much more then infect?

It can, depending on what you decide to run- Ensnaring Bridge, Snapcaster, UB vs Esper. Surgical Extraction and Mesmeric Orb have also both doubled since I built the deck. Going by Deckbox prices, the two versions I run are the most expensive decks I currently own.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Whose idea was it to pair Traverse and grindy cards with Death's shadow? I've seen it a few times, seems like it's a real deck.

That's the standard build now that probe's banned. It's a lot harder to get the quick temur battle-rage kills so they switched to a slower gameplan.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Gp van is projecting the round clock onto the wall. Neat

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
At the GP during time shifted magic they are having guests come in off and on to assist with coverage plus get interviewed at the same time. They had Corey Burkhart in the booth with Rich covering a game then they did a short interview and then played back a game of Corey's feature match and had him talk about the plays he was making and what was going through his head. It was actually a really good segment, kudos to them for putting in some good content instead of just showing a slide show with no music.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

Kaladesh has Monkey Cats. A Monkey Cat. A Monk Cat. Amonkhet. I like this inter-block synergy.

Finally, more cat tribal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Amonkhet khool stuff

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is the most interesting picture, loving excellent.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Getting a bit of a Stargåte vibe from the artwork. Looks neat.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm laffin at the Trials

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Want that life counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i approve heavily of crocodile dragons