Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Sixkiller posted:

Lend me your ears, ye men of France, I wish to make one last speech before our departure into the lion's mouth. Know this, my fellow brethren, the enemies who oppose you are not humans-- not one bit of them. They are demons, servants to Satan himself, for they shall only bring damnation and destruction upon this sweet world! So put on all the armor that God gives, so you can defend yourself against the devil’s tricks. We are fighting against forces and authorities of darkness. So put on all the armor that God gives. Then when that evil comes, you will be able to defend yourself. And when the battle is over, you will still be standing firm.

Be ready! Let the truth be like a belt around your waist, and let God’s justice protect you like armor. Your desire to tell the good news about peace should be like shoes on your feet. Let your faith be like a shield, and you will be able to stop all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Let God’s saving power be like a helmet. Fix bayonets and charge ye soldiers of France! Charge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Initial concept of their objectives

I think its plausible to think this was their original plan of approach. They may try to push through still, although we have a fuckton of arty along that avenue. Lets call that their Plan A.

If they don't want to try to push through the south-east, they might try to go west and consolidate.

Artillery in the hills, surviving infantry in the woods and town

This would allow them to block our advance on our final objective, and/or let them try their objective again. The big thing is that they would have the high ground and we would have to advance under their guns. Call this Plan B.

... Assuming, of course, they don't try for Plan C, the Cauldron.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Loel, there is an issue with your artillery orders. Check the last page.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

Loel, there is an issue with your artillery orders. Check the last page.

Edited accordingly.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Loel posted:

Initial concept of their objectives

This would allow them to block our advance on our final objective, and/or let them try their objective again. The big thing is that they would have the high ground and we would have to advance under their guns. Call this Plan B.

in their position I'd be trying this, as well as moving my divisional HQ west ASAP. Like I said, their force composition rewards static fighting more than ours. If they seem to be ceding us the centre we need to keep on top of them to prevent them regrouping.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

After discussion with tbk, I think it likely that they will attempt to salvage the northern division, while using the southern as a rearguard. We cant harass the northern in time to prevent them from moving west, while the southern division is already in combat with us.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

wrong thread.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 18, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Loel posted:

Map for illustrative purposes. Brigade to stay in place.

Lucky 99th

Artillery when firing: Fire at all targets in range
Infantry/MG: Fire at all targets in range
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break off automatically when: Stand to the last man

(Adjust placement as needed so cannons can fire, they take priority)

I'm not sure how benevolent Trin will be if you give him a free hand like that, so I made this formation as an example of better artillery placement if you want to make one yourself.

edit: the dead gun will disappear and I assume that means you can put a healthy company overtop of the remains.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Slam Jam Packens, 120e Reservistes Brigade

Preliminary orders.

T+0-T+4

120e brigade has received orders from 6th Division headquarters! The eager reservists are elated to hear the news. The boche have been surprised and put on the backfoot! The order for advance is given!

120e Brigade will promptly switch to the attack. Infantry shall adopt the above formation, while erring for the benefit of allowing artillery the 2' gap.. The brigade will attempt to carry the artillery into each successive position detailed on this map.

Should boche artillery remain on Pasteur ridge during this movement, we shall attempt to attack it so long as the it does not entail cresting the ridge and revealing ourselves to the enemy in the surroundings of Ferme de Beurre

The 2 farthest most infantry companies must, at any cost of detour, enter Nainville and cut the telephone wires.

During the march, no companies may crest Pasteur ridge at any point, delays are acceptable to adhere to this order.

T+4(?)-T+6(?)

(It should take two turns between the last pictured brigade position and the one pictured here)

If our artillery companies tire and must limber up, the rest of the brigade will proceed on with marching orders, until any positions within this map are achieved, at which point the brigade will defend.

Again, two infantry companies must, at any detour, enter Bouclecourt and sever telephone wires before rejoining the brigade.

The brigade will defend once any units achieve this position, and attempt to unlimber artillery.

Once artillery is unlimbered, the brigade will switch to Attack, and adopt positions like so.

T+6(?)-T+7(?)

If 2 or more enemy brigades are spotted in range after this move, the 120e brigade will switch to Defend, Break off at 1/2 casualties

If otherwise, 120e Brigade will Attack

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

those orders...so good... :swoon:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Loel, you didn't actually fix your orders. Your artillery is still up your infantry's arse. (did you accidentally replace the screenshot with the exact same screenshot?) You also didn't give any orders to your engineers.

Hunt11 - your infantry is waaaaaay out of your brigade commander's range. Consider moving him around to at least get your whole brigade in his outer command circle.

e: I am genuinely worried we will lose to the Germans just waltzing into what I'm guessing is their objective in the SW completely unopposed on the West. But, our resources are limited, and I see no way to put up an adequate fight there with what we have.

Also, Slim Jim Pickens Slam Jam Packens, I'm worried that you're being overly cautious to some degree, since the Germans will be shooting our guys anyway, and it doesn't really matter if the guys they're shooting are yours or someone else's. Then again, you are a reserve brigade, so the caution may prove to be prudent.

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 18, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Edit: These orders are no longer valid pending a runner and corresponding change of orders.

Old orders posted:

my dad posted:

Then again, you are a reserve brigade, so the caution may prove to be prudent.

Je ne pense pas, mon général

119th Reserve Brigade Orders

As these orders will look very simple without the enemy, let's have a look at the general espirit:

Ok, orders.

75mm

Fire on targets of opportunity. Ideally, support advance of 119th Brigade to the west.

Engineers
Advance along red Engineer line, block road, put down barbed wire at the first black mark outside of Nainville.

When done, follow white line to second black mark, block road, if supplies allow, put down barbed wire outside of Boulecourt.

Attempt to resupply barbed wire if possible in Boulecourt. When done, follow blue line to third black mark.

Rifles, MG and Brigade Command

Toujours l'audace, a outrance!

Advance along red line. Advancing fire on enemy targets. If enemy is still present in the wood, fix bayonets and charge.[/b] .
If enemy retreats suppressed, pursue into 7.7's

When enemy is all dead in the woods advance along white line. Take baguette and Defend. Deploy as shown. Fire on any enemy.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If I may kindly suggest doing the roadblock/barbed wire on the side of town closer to the German deployment zone to avoid giving them free protection there. Also, please be specific about where you want barbed wire and where you want roadblocks, or if you want barbed wire if possible, roadblock if not.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am moving my brigade command with my infantry now and will be showing off the adjusted orders shortly.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

If I may kindly suggest doing the roadblock/barbed wire on the side of town closer to the German deployment zone to avoid giving them free protection there. Also, please be specific about where you want barbed wire and where you want roadblocks, or if you want barbed wire if possible, roadblock if not.

Ahhhhh I wasn't sure what a roadblock/barbed wire would do - will amend orders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

Ahhhhh I wasn't sure what a roadblock/barbed wire would do - will amend orders.

Basically, the idea is that if the Germans get reinforcements from off map in that direction, the roadblock would disrput their marching formation, and a barbed wire would do that, plus give them an extra delay while they go around it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

Basically, the idea is that if the Germans get reinforcements from off map in that direction, the roadblock would disrput their marching formation, and a barbed wire would do that, plus give them an extra delay while they go around it.

There we are, I think I sorted the timings of engineer operations.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSo9CC2wKVI

Farewell, my wife, farewell, Marie,
I am going with Rosalie.

You stand, you weep, you look at me—
But you know the rights of Rosalie,

And she calls, the mistress of men like me!
I come, my little Rosalie,

My white-lipped, silent Rosalie,
My thin and hungry Rosalie!

lenoon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 18, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin my orders are finalized. Run the turn whenever.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have changed my orders to match current orders.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

6ᵉ Cavalerie

If my men's uncontrollable elan hasn't gotten the best of them, at the end of turn 10, my men are to grab breakfast. If they are forced to break off and can be reached by plans, they are to grab breakfast. In fact, in any circumstances other than it being before the end of turn 10 and they haven't broken off and still have enemies to shoot, as long as my men can have and act on these orders they are to go grab breakfast. If it is before turn 10, and the arty still has targets and we haven't broken off, if it is possible to do without provoking enemy fire the cavalry and MG should fall back to outside MG range of St. Croissant. Same goes for the arty (why are they up that far anyway, I blame my men's uncontrollable elan).

Grabbing breakfast is a simple plan. They are to go to La Oeuf and attempt to get in the following positions:

The cavalry are going to dismount and start entrenching, hopefully finding some potatoes to make a sort of hash with. The artillery will be echeloned so they just barely can shoot around the Bois de Bacon (see picture).

I'm going for as much visible strength as possible so hopefully they don't just push straight through me.

If (and only if) we have men/mg/artillery (any of the above) from other units still able to shoot the Croissant-Graisse road, the enemy has units on or west of the Veine-Haltebruit road and they do not have enemies south of the Croissant-Haltebruit road that would shoot my men in the face as they rushed in, the cavalry and MG are to move towards Bois de Bacon. The end goal for them are these positions:

If attempting to move towards those positions would take them into range of enemy firepower, they are to move to the base location for grabbing breakfast (the top picture) if they are east of that position or halt with the MG pointed away from the enemies if they are west of that position.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

e: I am genuinely worried we will lose to the Germans just waltzing into what I'm guessing is their objective in the SW completely unopposed on the West. But, our resources are limited, and I see no way to put up an adequate fight there with what we have.

Also, Slim Jim Pickens Slam Jam Packens, I'm worried that you're being overly cautious to some degree, since the Germans will be shooting our guys anyway, and it doesn't really matter if the guys they're shooting are yours or someone else's. Then again, you are a reserve brigade, so the caution may prove to be prudent.

If I'm getting to Bouclecourt, it's going to take me at least 6 turns anyways, I figured time spent engaging wasn't really an issue.

If the German are anything like us, they can't just seize the objective if they lose their entire corps doing so. In terms of companies lost, we are similar, but the Boche are much, much, weaker in the East than we are in the West. They're going to have to respond to 6th Division.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Both sides have given orders and agreed to run an extra two turns tonight.

:siren: Adjudication pending...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
gently caress.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

We're fine, its fine :ohdear:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I feel like my hilariously overconfident orders are 100% period correct and as such I have absolutely no worries at all. Vive la France!

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Général de Brigade Téhan, 96th Brigade

At this moment, Général Téhan is blissfully unaware of the desperate orders being motorbiked towards him. Should they reach him before he moves, as his current orders say he will, between Fraise-champs and St Croissant, he will deploy his men in such a way as to form a wall between the brigade to his east doing the same and the farm of Fraise-champs. For example:

As his machine gunner team is already doing laudable service in making Germans regret their life choices, it shall receive no orders beyond an encouraging pat on the back.

If/when the current clusterfuck of a melee in front of the brigade clears up and the second line no longer has Germans within range, the brigade will advance until all rifleman currently in a condition to obey orders are able to fire on Boche, either those guarding the southern edge of St Croissant or any that may have advanced between St Croissant and Bois de Baguette. Similarly, the machine gun team will advance forward should they run out of targets, rejoining formation displacing a unit in the second line which will move to the easternmost edge of the line. If there should come a time when there are no longer Germans visible who are both south of St Croissant and west of Bois de Baguette, the brigade will rearrange if necessary so that all riflemen and machine gun teams are within firing range of the town and await further orders.

However, should the orders only reach him after his men have advanced in such a way that the northernmost man in the brigade is further north than the northermost point of Bois de Baguette, the Général will declare 'gently caress it' and order an immediate bayonet charge. If the unlikely event that there are any men visible in Bois de Gooneville, he will charge them; otherwise, the charge shall be on St Croissant. From there, standing orders will be to pursue any German unwise enough to present their backs to the brigade; once the current engagement is over, advance towards and bayonet charge the next closest German brigade in sight; and to repeat until he receives orders to the contrary or experiences a glorious death in battle. There will be no orders to fall back in such a scenario, regardless of casualties taken.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

There will be no orders to fall back in such a scenario, regardless of casualties taken.

magnifique

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Actually protecting your commands integrity is important guys.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Actually protecting your commands integrity is important guys.

I have been.

..Oh wait you mean the men? What strange notions they teach you at divisional level.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Not as individuals, but in aggregate.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I advise getting a stiff drink before reading this. You may need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNatwyAJ6dI

Turn 8: 1030
German initiative

If the Germans can do nothing else, they can apparently roll initiative real good.

Right then. Do you know what this is?

This, my friends, is a giant German artillery park which has spent the past few turns bumblefucking around trying to get into positions where they're not masking each other's fire. Guess what they just finished doing? If you said "unlimbering", well, you win the right to take cover.

It all started so well; the Germans opposite the 96th look deeply unsure of themselves, and then the 96th is all, ahem, up in their grills, as the kids say.

The 55th and associated gun line is being charged; the 52nd girds its loins and charges up Pasteur Ridge as the 53rd squeezes shut the jaws.

And then there are shouts up on La Cote. "Boches! Thousands of them! Coming onto the field from Bouclecourt!"

The dastardly swines must have been keeping reinforcements nearby! The 54th has also been charged by Germans appearing round the side of Baguette! Oaths fly around the battlefield.

And then the German guns open fire en masse, and nobody hears anything else for quite a while.

The 55th's gun line tries to return the favour.

The guns atop Clemenceau and the arse hortillery at Fraisechamps fires high, wide and handsome.

Then the German machine guns start up again.

Pow!

Biff!

Crunch! Your own guns are doing their best, but Hotchkiss only made so many of them before the war. The men's rifles take their toll as well. Precious few of the men on both sides who charged will survive into close combat.

And, faced with the bayonets of the 52nd, the Germans on the east of Pasteur Ridge turn and flee the field before them.

The 55th and 54th have both failed to repel all enemies. Men fall before the German bayonets, and more flee, retreating suppressed but not necessarily lost to the fight just yet.

And the charge of the 96th causes a second German brigade, and all its artillery, to break and rout!

Officers roam the field, desperately trying to rally their men from suppression and go on fighting another few minutes.

It's a horrible scene, and it's about to get worse. Good news! The 97th recieved its orders to form up and get moving. Somehow their guns got switched off for the battlefield overview, but they're moving into position and will unlimber next turn, if they've anything to shoot at...

Turn 9: 1100
German initiative

I guess you'll have to be content with the moral superiority of winning the first roll.

The 52nd tries to reform while the 53rd halts and goes to Defend orders to meet the German reinforcements. The remnants of the 55th's infantry are charged again.

So too is the 54th in the Bois de Baguette.

The 96th launches a counter-charge to rescue the 54th, and the 98th stiffens its sinews, summons up the blood, and charges into the outskirts of Saint Croissant!

The 97th continues moving west as the German gun park opens up once more, again shooting mostly at the 52nd as it tries to reform itself.

The 55th's gun line does the best it can to defend its beleaguered infantry.

The 99th's 75s are more accurate this time.

And the arse hortillery scores hits on a fresh German brigade advancing on them from the west side of Saint Croissant!

Machine gun time. Once again, the Germans have such a weight of firepower in this department.

Several companies are shot down and thrown back as they charge St C, German rifle fire adding to the machine guns' efforts.

The 53rd scores hits against the German reinforcements, but (pictured in a moment) the receipt soon comes back at them.

A third German brigade has had enough! It blanches at the sight of the 55th's gun line and throws in the towel, the sausage-sucking surrender snakes!

However, opposite them, the gallant 52nd also fails a morale check, losing its orders and being forced to retreat suppressed (it's used its movement, so its retreat begins next turn).

Watching all this, the 119th and 120th Reserve Brigades receive new orders. They open them. They inspect them carefully. Somehow, mysteriously, the orders fail to reach their men. Praise the Lord for choosing the correct time to roll terribly.

German bayonets lance through the Bois de Baguette, mincing the 54th.

Only one company of the 98th survives the charge, but it enters Saint Croissant and dispatches one of their machine guns!

The 54th, reeling from the German onslaught, also fails a morale check; and they become the first French brigade to rout.

And that is, as they say, that. More attempts to rally from suppression follow.

The end of the turn. Now what?

:siren: The deadline for orders has been extended to Tuesday 5pm GMT, as I have just become busy on Monday. :siren:

(movements of runners and etc will be confirmed tomorrow, but everything went as planned)

Numerology: 57 of your companies are no longer on the board as opposed to 73 German. Assuming 200 men per company, that's 26,000 men, although a lot of them have run away before they could be killed.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 19, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Uh ... huh.

First question. Did my 155s fire this round, and are they still alive :D

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

A third German brigade has had enough! It blanches at the sight of the 55th's gun line and throws in the towel, the sausage-sucking surrender snakes!

Sir, I believe you are mistaken. They quailed at facing me in combat, the blaggards!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Not the worst that could happen during 2 turns of German initiative :/

We need to stop attacking St. Croissant, its been completely ineffective. 6th has taken damage but its still got 2 reserves against the German reinforcements

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Well, back to swigging the champagne I confiscated from the arty when they missed their first salvo.

It's not bad but drat if that brigade drawing up against me isn't terrifying.

Also I agree on St. Croissant. We should be pounding the outskirts with artillery.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Looks like they went with Plan C, Cauldron

We can probably write off everyone in the encircled area. We have cannon, they have MGs, I think they'll be holding the city at the end of it.

Which effectively means they have forces split by Pastuer Ridge, with the stronger side on the western half.

This puts us in the interesting position of being able to roll the eastern side of things, while our western line is artillery without infantry.

Therefore I expect the final results to look like this.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This may change as the battle progresses, but as it stands it seems as though the Germans are taking a very defensive approach to this battle.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the event that they broke things down casewise like we did, they decided that they'd be able to get a strong setup in and around croissant and compel us to attack it given their better roads.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I think you wrote 96th a few times instead of 98th by accident, Trin.

"It all started so well; the Germans opposite the 96th look deeply unsure of themselves, and then the 96th is all, ahem, up in their grills, as the kids say."

"And the charge of the 96th causes a second German brigade, and all its artillery, to break and rout!"

I will not have my accomplishments diminished :colbert:

I'm pretty glad with the way things turned out for the 98th, except for the dying part. That was kind of bad, but I feel it was necessary to slow down any advances and stop them from getting into their desired positions. And luckily, through some RNG and artillery support, I managed to do more damage to the enemy than they did to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

No, it was the 96th who charged and broke the Germans SE of Croissant, and the 98th following up behind who then fell charging boldly into the outskirts.

• Locked thread