Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Jesus Christ everything max land is does is the loving worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I said it once and I'll say it again

Squashing Machine posted:

I hope they put him on the wheel of the worst and throw knives at him. I hope they climb up on a ladder and drop a toilet on him. I hope Josh and Jack grab Max Landis by the hands and drag him into Lake Michigan, causing all three to perish from hypothermia

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

JediTalentAgent posted:

How is that Riverdale show scoring with people? After Jem came and went, I was thinking if there was a different way to have approached Jem and almost wonder if Hasbro/whoever is sort of wishing they'd pushed Jem as a live-action TV melodrama with songs.

Here's a thought: Glee's off the air, Empire seems like it's doing great. Just get the rights to do 70s/80s songs, rerecord them and treat them like they're completely original works in the Jemiverse with the characters singing them and build the whole thing build a big multiseason story of love, greed and betrayal. It could probably run on the CW for the next 7 years given how everything with a young cast runs forever on the CW.

edit: I know most/all of the original Jem's songs were likely original works for the show unlike how the Chipmunks just sang covers for their cartoon, but that means extra work for the showrunners to keep producing memorable and popular songs for the show if it might be long running. However, if they just would get the rights to do very stylistically different covers to various old pop songs it'd probably give them a chance to show something like how 'in-universe' the writers are always just churning out pure gold or something, have instantly recognizable songs to sell, etc.

source ur quotes

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I tried watching a pre-rec about Let it Die and they no poo poo spent 15 minutes trying to find out how to start a new game. I'm sorry but pre-rec is extremely bad.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

a bone to pick posted:

I tried watching a pre-rec about Let it Die and they no poo poo spent 15 minutes trying to find out how to start a new game. I'm sorry but pre-rec is extremely bad.

A disturbingly common pre-rec occurrence. Pre-rec is confirmed for extremely bad.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What do you think Mike does while the gang hams it up streaming video games. Like Jay is editing or just hanging out but lmao I imagine Mike sitting alone in a recliner watching Star Trek.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

a bone to pick posted:

The game is bad, but you also might be mentally challenged, sorry.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love how I get called mentally challenged on this forum for literally every opinion I have lol.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

What do you think Mike does while the gang hams it up streaming video games. Like Jay is editing or just hanging out but lmao I imagine Mike sitting alone in a recliner watching Star Trek.

*Mr. Spock says "it seems logical"*

*Mike slowly inserts cardboard piece into his mouth*

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Snatch Duster posted:

Passed out behind Plinketto board in corner of warehouse.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

a bone to pick posted:

every time I attempt to watch that they're spending the first 10 minutes trying to get the show running. Like "Oh that's not working. Is there audio? Can they hear us? Are we on? Yeah... look .... wait no. Ok it's up now. Is the display working? Ok that's good enough" etc etc.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

LOOK LIKE YOU JUST GOT CLOWNED ON, PRE-REC STYLE

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Blue Star posted:

Ugh, i hope not.

Anyway I havent seen John WIck 2 or even the first John Wick. That said, i dont necessarily think every movie should have 50/50 male/female representation. I think its okay if a movie is almost all men, so long as it works for the movie artistically. If its all-men because they didnt bother to write any women characters and the few women in the movie are treated like garbage, that sucks. But if a movie happens to have all men and is still brilliant, and it works thematically, i will still love it. John Carpenter's The Thing is one of my favorite movies and there isnt a single female charracter. Is that bad? I dont think it is, but some people may disagree. I think the movie works good because they're all men, it helps with the theme of paranoia and how the Thing can be any one of them. If there was a woman, maybe that might not work as well? But then again, maybe it would, I dont know because that alternate movie doesnt exist. But as it is, The Thing is fantastic and its a sausage fest.

Of course i am a trans woman so take my opinoon with a grain of salt.

Yea, the problem is never really any specific movie. Like, there are plenty of movies with all-male casts where those casts are completely appropriate for the story the movie is telling. The problem is when you have a studio system and culture where a movie with an all-male cast is much more likely to be made (and receive wide release and promotion) than a movie with an all-female cast, or even a movie with some female characters who aren't playing the role of the woman to be saved/won.

The Bechdel test (the general measure of a film having a bare-minimum of female representation) is kind of like the BMI. It's a measure done on individuals that is really meant to be aggregated to measure the general health of the population. The Thing (or Master and Commander) not passing the Bechdel test isn't a problem. The problem is when over 50% of movie releases in a year don't pass the test.

Looking at the stats at BechdelTest.com show that things do seem to be trending in the right direction. We'll probably reach a decent point where both sexes are well-represented in most movies in a decade or so. Sure, there'll still be the occasional all-male (except the girl to be saved/won) action movie and the all-female (except for the guy to be wooed/won) rom-com, and their existence won't be a problem because they won't be the only thing clogging the cineplexes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a bone to pick posted:

I love how I get called mentally challenged on this forum for literally every opinion I have lol.

Not sure this reflects poorly on who you think it does.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The only all-woman cast movie I have ever seen is Ghostbusters 2016.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Not sure this reflects poorly on who you think it does.

If not liking pre-rec makes me retarded then I've got full-blown Downs.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
PreRec is good because it brought us two wonderful moments with old Sierra games, namely Jack's playing of the first Space Quest and Rich's star turn as Sonny Bonds in the first Police Quest.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

The only all-woman cast movie I have ever seen is Ghostbusters 2016.

Ghostbusters 2016 had tons of male roles

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 had tons of male roles

I can't remember a single one besides Thor

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

Well, all of the living Ghostbusters had cameos, and Ed Begley Jr. was in it, but the fact that you could remember one male role should be enough to disqualify it from being an all-woman cast.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Well, all of the living Ghostbusters had cameos, and Ed Begley Jr. was in it, but the fact that you could remember one male role should be enough to disqualify it from being an all-woman cast.

Get a load of this cuck right here.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

a bone to pick posted:

The only thing worth remembering about the 2016 Ghostbusters is that's when we as a nation collectively realized that Kate McKinnon is awesome. The rest of the movie can be purged from the memory banks.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

So if it only takes one minor male role then has there ever been an all-female movie? Because I can't think of any all-male movies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

So if it only takes one minor male role then has there ever been an all-female movie? Because I can't think of any all-male movies.

off the top of my head,

all male
Twelve Angry Men
The Thing
Hell in the Pacific
Enemy Mine
Sleuth
Sleuth

all female
The Women
Sister, My Sister

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A studio should film a one minute none-related intro where two women meet, establish that they have names, and talk about what they're going to eat for lunch. Film it again and again with appropriate wardrobe and stick it as the first minute of every movie they make from now on. They leave in opposite directions, the bechdel test having been satisfied, and iron man or whoever the movie is really about slams into the street where they parted as the inciting action to start the movie. They'll have stan lee cameos in the 2nd act where they're standing around, holding the food they said they were going to eat, but otherwise never return to the story.

Just be as petty and hamfisted with it as possible to dilute the whole exercise.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

off the top of my head,

all male
Twelve Angry Men
The Thing
Hell in the Pacific
Enemy Mine
Sleuth
Sleuth

all female
The Women
Sister, My Sister

drat, all-male movies are pretty freaking good.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

The only thing worth remembering about the 2016 Ghostbusters is that's when we as a nation collectively realized that Kate McKinnon is awesome. The rest of the movie can be purged from the memory banks.

Are you kidding? She brought absolutely nothing to the Egon role other than wackadoodle bullshit and a line about Pringles that was immediately run into the ground because it was the sole identifiable joke in the entire film.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would the original version of The Producers count? I don't think Ulla says a single line in it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

off the top of my head,

all male
Twelve Angry Men
The Thing
Hell in the Pacific
Enemy Mine
Sleuth
Sleuth

all female
The Women
Sister, My Sister

To nitpick, 3 of the All Male are all male by context.
2 war films where wars are historically male centred.
And a court room drama from a time when you had only male juries.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Had a guy tell me he's never watched a James Bond film because "he's not cool, he's mysognistic!" and I just died inside. I just don't get it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Would the original version of The Producers count? I don't think Ulla says a single line in it.

There's all the old widows in the beginning of the movie. I'm pretty sure they had speaking lines.

EDIT: Also I think Glengarry Glen Ross was all-male, leading credence to the "all-male films are good" theory.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

Had a guy tell me he's never watched a James Bond film because "he's not cool, he's mysognistic!" and I just died inside. I just don't get it.

He's half right, Bond is not cool.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

happyhippy posted:

To nitpick, 3 of the All Male are all male by context.
2 war films where wars are historically male centred.
And a court room drama from a time when you had only male juries.

Why does any of that matter.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

a bone to pick posted:

drat, all-male movies are pretty freaking good.

It's true. You can add Glengarry Glen Ross to the list. All male leads, and no frails to wreck up the A+ acting.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

There's all the old widows in the beginning of the movie. I'm pretty sure they had speaking lines.

EDIT: Also I think Glengarry Glen Ross was all-male, leading credence to the "all-male films are good" theory.

As a movie whose central theme is modes of masculinity and the nature of male pecking orders, I find it very problematic that Glengarry didn't throw a bone to the eternally pleased with nothing crowd in the form of two strong, independent female characters who could have a 2-minute conversation about real estate and then vanish from the film forever

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why does any of that matter.

Movies are just supposed to be fun

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Shinjobi posted:

I know, the correct answer is James Bond is boring and stupid.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Originally Batman Begins was going to have Harvey Dent as Bruce's childhood friend, which would have made the impact of him becoming two-face in The Dark Knight even more startling. Rachel Dawes wasn't even supposed to be in the movie, but I think after studio execs saw this Batman script that had no female roles they probably forced a love interest in there for a case of the not-gays.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Grevling posted:

I know, the correct answer is James Bond is boring and stupid.

There are quite a few boring and dumb bond movies but there are a few great ones too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

a bone to pick posted:

The bad guy. I haven't watched the movie and even I know that.

• Locked thread