Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Crazy Treeman game. The Wood Elf faction was wiped out by the Beastmen (!!!) in the first 15 turns, leaving a burned shell behind. I took it over after snagging Parravon but the public order hit is insurmountable... I pretty much can't leave the forest until I have an army to lock it down, and that requires income that I don't have. Meanwhile, Bretonnia is covered in Chaos Wastes from the Beastmen roaming all over the drat place.

As a side note, has anyone else thought of alternate end-game states? I'm thinking a massive Skaven incursion coupled with a plague event or the resurrection of Nagash could be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
The "Old Friend" mentioned on the DLC map is Morgan Bernhardt and the Grudgebringers right? Due in probably about six months?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Nullkigan posted:

The "Old Friend" mentioned on the DLC map is Morgan Bernhardt and the Grudgebringers right? Due in probably about six months?

Ha, they're bringing Morgan back? I love it!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hope its Gotrek and Felix

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
No one knows what the Old Friend is going to be.

Overall I really the Brettonian changes. The Battle Pilgrims and and Foot Squires look like really solid units that'll plug holes in the Brettonian infantry roster while still keeping them a Cav focused faction, especially with the all around buffed Knights. Anti-large on the Knights of the Realm, Grail Knights and Pegasus knights means that other races aren't likely to challenge them for Cav supremacy so they actually get to play with those units. New Brets look fun dammit.

I just hope the new LLs are good enough to see people actually not taking King Louen once in a while.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so warhammer won make war not love again and we won.... dawn of war dlc and alien soldier

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

No one knows what the Old Friend is going to be.

Overall I really the Brettonian changes. The Battle Pilgrims and and Foot Squires look like really solid units that'll plug holes in the Brettonian infantry roster while still keeping them a Cav focused faction, especially with the all around buffed Knights. Anti-large on the Knights of the Realm, Grail Knights and Pegasus knights means that other races aren't likely to challenge them for Cav supremacy so they actually get to play with those units. New Brets look fun dammit.

I just hope the new LLs are good enough to see people actually not taking King Louen once in a while.

Did you see the swordsmen that has frenzy?? they had almost the same stats (i think i saw 33 melee attack, 32 melee defense?) as empire swords men..just.. with.. Frenzy as well!

Or the fact that grail knights have 20% physical resistance WITH goddamned vigour immunity!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Davincie posted:

so warhammer won make war not love again and we won.... dawn of war dlc and alien soldier

I think the idea is that you're likely to have the dlc for the game you chose.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gejnor posted:

Did you see the swordsmen that has frenzy?? they had almost the same stats (i think i saw 33 melee attack, 32 melee defense?) as empire swords men..just.. with.. Frenzy as well!

Or the fact that grail knights have 20% physical resistance WITH goddamned vigour immunity!

Frenzy and 80 LD as a matter of fact. Those Battle Pilgrims are no joke.

And yeah, Grail Knights are going to be amazing now.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

drat that new Bretonnian roster looks fun as hell. Sword Squires make me hopeful that CA is able to add some new, original units in the future too (looking at you, minor factions). Cmon Feb 28th!

Those new and improved Grail Knights backed up by the lore of life...

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Any word on how the green knight'll work?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Holy poo poo, those Grail Knight changes

Brets own, game owns

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

time to get chivalrous motherfuckers

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Psycho Landlord posted:

Holy poo poo, those Grail Knight changes

Brets own, game owns

loving helllll yeah.

Grail knights finally flexin'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still going to get shot to death by my dwarven gunline and artillery.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I dunno if this is impressive but I managed to win a Close Victory outnumbered 2.5-to-1 as Dwarves against Vampire Counts. It was a loving mess but I'm really proud of it considering I'm not great at this game. Quarrelers are so good

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheHoosier posted:

I dunno if this is impressive but I managed to win a Close Victory outnumbered 2.5-to-1 as Dwarves against Vampire Counts. It was a loving mess but I'm really proud of it considering I'm not great at this game. Quarrelers are so good

Be proud that you defeated the scheming zangunaz fellow dawii!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
There's a reddit post from a guy saying he was at the PC Gamer event talking about Brett Campaign stuff.

quote:

Hey guys, long time lurker.

I just came back from the PCGamerWeekender where TotalWar was showcasing its new Brettonia DLC. Anyway, during the event they showed a video with information on Brettonia in the campaign. They might have already shared most of the info here, but I thought it would not hurt to share.

Here is a list of all the things I remembered:

-3 starting locations: Leon in Brettonia, Alberic in Bordelaux, Fey Enchantress in Carcassone

-Each one seems to start with 2 regions each, a full province representing their territory. A nice change from the start with a single region we've had so far (Poor Empire suffers so much from it)

-Green Knight is a hero, but cannot be recruited. Instead he shows up randomly and stays with your faction for a few turns then is gone.

-2 main recruitment buildings in the 'red' slot for towns that are focused on unlocking knight troops. For peasants, most are recruited from the 'infrastructure' buildings

-Technology tree divided in 2 -> economy and knightly order, delving into one will bring penalties to your campaign related to the other. Invest into only one if you're ok with the penalties, or invest in each in a steady fashion, your call.

-Brettonia is known for having its forests and the nearby mountain infested with orcs, so they get events focused on that, such as a reduction in growth because off-screen orcs raided their lands

-All Brettonia faction are somewhat friendly with each other, so you don't have to go to to war with each other. Diplomacy is meant to be easy with each other and confederation comes later on once you've researched the technology for it.

-If you do go to war with Brettoni factions, the others will not like it one bit. Brettoni civil wars come with penalties, but you can do it anyway if you don't care about them

-New units that were not shown in the stream that I remember: Royal Hypogryph knights, Royal Pegasus knights (better version of regular pegasus knights), variant of Trebuchet that throws magic projectiles blessed by the Lady herself. There might have been more but they were either shown in the stream, or I forgot them

That's most of what I remember if anything else comes to mind I'll add it to the comments.

Edit:

Almost forgot, Brettonia factions get a new bar similar to the grudges for dwarves. This bar represents your chivalrous nature, and the more chilvarous you are, the more it is filled. With each rank of chivalry you attain, you get campaign and battle bonuses.

Edit2:

Brettonia gets access to 3 lores of magic: Heavens, Life, and Beasts.

All in all sounds pretty cool. Not entirely thrilled about the Green Knight thing even though it fits the lore just because I worry about him being kind of irrelevant with that mechanic.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Gejnor posted:

Be proud that you defeated the scheming zangunaz fellow dawii!

we completely eradicated the vampire menace alongside Karak Kadrin a few turns later. rest in piss, Mannfred.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
-Technology tree divided in 2 -> economy and knightly order, delving into one will bring penalties to your campaign related to the other. Invest into only one if you're ok with the penalties, or invest in each in a steady fashion, your call.

Haha, get hosed peasants.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Cythereal posted:

Still going to get shot to death by my dwarven gunline and artillery.

Cue Gatling gun scene from the last Samurai.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rincewinds posted:

Cue Gatling gun scene from the last Samurai.

I was thinking more the Fall of the Samurai campaign from Shogun 2.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Grail Relic is the coolest looking and most warhammery unit in the game. I had a respectful lol at seeing it

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nullkigan posted:

Imagine if they implemented a "Shadow of the Horned Rat" style mercenary campaign where you command the Grudgebringers Mercenary company and have to manage your finances, hire units and march around in some kind of Mercenary "horde" where you can take contracts from the various factions and help them fight.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Imagine if they implemented a "Shadow of the Horned Rat" style mercenary campaign where you command the Grudgebringers Mercenary company and have to manage your finances, hire units and march around in some kind of Mercenary "horde" where you can take contracts from the various factions and help them fight.

This would rule as a mini-campaign and I think the engine could probably work for it.

madmac posted:

There's a reddit post from a guy saying he was at the PC Gamer event talking about Brett Campaign stuff.

All in all sounds pretty cool. Not entirely thrilled about the Green Knight thing even though it fits the lore just because I worry about him being kind of irrelevant with that mechanic.

I cannot wait to just keep giving them my money as long as they want to keep releasing stuff. This all sounds great.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SickZip posted:

The Grail Relic is the coolest looking and most warhammery unit in the game. I had a respectful lol at seeing it

people keep pronouncing it relik-way for some reason but like super bad french where the a is barely there

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Anybody have any recommendations for early empire in dealing with the bullshit dlc rear end goatfucking beastmen. I've reloaded my game from turn 15 about 3 times now and I just don't know how to deal with these guys.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Lookin for some advice.

Currently slowly playing through my first multiplayer game with my buddy. He's played a ton of Empire and me a ton of VC so we both looked for something different. He settled on Dwarfs and so to keep that theme going I went with Clan Angrund. My problem is that I'm stuck barely holding on against the loving Wood Elves now that they've eradicated Bretonnia and I keep getting teamed up on by them and Skarsknik. So what usually happens is that they show up and we end up fighting horrific battles where I barely win and wipe them out, but since I've only got my one lovely province I can barely hold on to by the time I get my army rebuilt I end up having to engage in another cataclysmic battle with them and we end up at square one again. I often end up getting pushed back to Karak Izor as well. My friend sent his main force with Grombrindal over to help out but even with him here it's a freakin nightmare.

Any tips on dealing with the pointy eared twerps?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

lilspooky posted:

Lookin for some advice.

Currently slowly playing through my first multiplayer game with my buddy. He's played a ton of Empire and me a ton of VC so we both looked for something different. He settled on Dwarfs and so to keep that theme going I went with Clan Angrund. My problem is that I'm stuck barely holding on against the loving Wood Elves now that they've eradicated Bretonnia and I keep getting teamed up on by them and Skarsknik. So what usually happens is that they show up and we end up fighting horrific battles where I barely win and wipe them out, but since I've only got my one lovely province I can barely hold on to by the time I get my army rebuilt I end up having to engage in another cataclysmic battle with them and we end up at square one again. I often end up getting pushed back to Karak Izor as well. My friend sent his main force with Grombrindal over to help out but even with him here it's a freakin nightmare.

Any tips on dealing with the pointy eared twerps?

Angrund is going to put you at a serious disadvantage during any MP campaign, they're the hardest or at least most gimmicky start in the game. Unify your starting province and take 8 peaks as soon as possible. You'll have to do it with one stack. It will require you to draw out the goblins that are in it because you're not taking on 3 stacks with your one no matter how good you are. It might be fun to have your dwarf buddy help you for role play or whatever but you're not gonna be able to afford poo poo until you are in charge of 8 peaks and even then you're not going to be as good as grombrindal, you don't actually get much from taking it back other than the removal of penalties.

With that being said your heroes are seriously OP during a battle. Your quarrelers beat any elf unit 1v1, have a handful of those focus fire on the most dangerous elf unit and they will melt really quickly. Against elves it can pay off to have a very wide formation because their power to penetrate is pretty low and their propensity for flanking is quite high. They don't have an answer to your grudge throwers unless you let them hit it unprotected. Do not use miners or rangers, the only thing your armies should have against elves are warriors, quarrelers, artillery, and ghosts.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

fleshy echidna posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for early empire in dealing with the bullshit dlc rear end goatfucking beastmen. I've reloaded my game from turn 15 about 3 times now and I just don't know how to deal with these guys.

Stick a stack in ambush stance near Helmsgart when you have a sign that the beastmen are approaching. With a bit of luck you can fight their stacks piecemeal, 2v1.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is Belegars +50% upkeep for all armies, or only for his army?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
All of them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All armies, and it's terrible.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope the Green Knight criteria are pretty loving dire to trigger, and he has Grimgor + level combat stats so he shows up to pull the players rear end out of the fire then when the peasantry arrange a feast to celebrate his saving them, he's mysteriously vanished until another crisis and their lords punish them for breaking the One Tenth rule.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Fangz posted:

Stick a stack in ambush stance near Helmsgart when you have a sign that the beastmen are approaching. With a bit of luck you can fight their stacks piecemeal, 2v1.
Nothing shatters faster than a Beastman army hit with a successful ambush. An equal gold Empire army will absolutely rout them in seconds.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

cheese posted:

Nothing shatters faster than a Beastman army hit with a successful ambush. An equal gold Empire army will absolutely rout them in seconds.

A goblin army might shatter at a similar rate, to be fair. (Note that I said goblin, not orc).

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Yeah, the one saving grace of the Beastmen bee-lining for the empire is that you have a few turns to sit in wait at Helmgart and ambush them as they come through

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I've whupped the campaign a couple times in normal as either Dwarves or Empire, but now I'm embarking on a Greenskin campaign and... poo poo's difficult. How should I level Grimgor? I've focused on the yellow tree for now. Is that a mistake? Ended up confederating with the Orcs that border the purple dwarves but it's hard to make money with just one full stack and one half stack.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yellow and Red for Grimgor imo. People like to take him full yellow and kill 500 dudes. I generally go Red, but tend to be a bit of a pussy with command units so the buffs for other troops seem worth it.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Playing with Grimgor (and all lords) is much more satisfying with expanded skill trees + more skill points. Vanilla doesnt offer a deep enough customization of skills for your lords imo. Also RIP molays

• Locked thread