Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Liking the game so far, but can anyone with experience with the berserker give me some pointers? My strategy now is mostly dodge or deflect into an attack chain, which usually lets me get a few attacks in, but it always gets me destroyed by anyone who can reliably parry me before I get a good chain going, or anyone playing a conqueror who can stop my chain in its tracks. It feels like my low hp means I have way less room for error than the other guy. Is there some other reliable/safe strategy I'm just not seeing?

Or should I just play an orochi like everyone else?

I think vs good players you just can't do attack chains period, it's all about getting a parry or guardbreak then getting your free hit, or feint mindgames to make them react wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

The Deleter posted:

For the life of me, I cannot pull off a Peacekeeper's deflect. What's the timing meant to be on it?

If you still haven't figured it out it's the same timing as a parry, but you dodge into the attack instead of parrying.

So if they heavy swing right, you dodge right at the same time you would have parried.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I know next to nothing about this game, but it looks kind of neat. I'm not a fighting game player by any means--is the PC version good to play with mouse/keyboard or would I need a controller (and learn how to use a controller because I'm a freak who hasn't touched one since N64)?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It's not really a traditional fighting game, and either KB and mouse or gamepad works fine

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Indecisive posted:

I think vs good players you just can't do attack chains period, it's all about getting a parry or guardbreak then getting your free hit, or feint mindgames to make them react wrong

Yeah, this is the conclusion I'm coming to, too... I'll try upping my feint game, but I'll probably just switch to something else.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

My dude its cool that you like the game but you are dead wrong. There's a reason why the higher level of play consists of mostly Peacekeepers, Wardens, and Orochi. Their kits are just plain superior.

Everyone seems to forget there is a 4v4 mode, in which the other classes excel at. No poo poo Assassin classes are gonna dominate 1v1 / 2v2 matches? The point of the game is to have each class excel at what they do. Assassins are sure as hell gonna excel at... assassinating the poo poo out of people. Other classes manage outside of 4v4. I still stand by what I say, Orochi / Warden / Peacekeeper may be the preferred choice for high level play, but other classes can stand their own as well. You just gotta be hella good at what you do.

As an aside, no matter how hard I get poo poo on, I never ragequit a game. The only time I ragequit is if it matches me with someone I just fought who was an utter oval office. But even then, that's rare. I usually stick it out to try and whomp their face in for sweet revenge. Ragequitters are dickheads, and the fact they leave and force some other poor bugger to fight against a boring bot is just bad form.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 18, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
4v4s are a literal joke and if 4v4 is a consideration in class balance it will fail.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Now one of my orders is in Italian. Got a French one earlier. This game has weird, obvious bugs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

4v4s are a literal joke and if 4v4 is a consideration in class balance it will fail.

4v4 is awesome if you do it with a friend (just one, or more, I've only ever played with another friend). You can work together and run around owning poo poo. The main problem with 4v4 are the mechanics aren't that easy to grasp. Once you know what you're meant to do, life becomes much easier and it's a hella fun mode. I don't play it often as the matches drag on too long.

Main thing with 4v4 is "don't be scared to run and regroup or fight someone you're more comfortable with". As long as you running doesn't leave your teammate in an unwelcome gangbang, do it. Sometimes I'll be up against a guy I know will kick my rear end, so instead I just back off and try and help a teammate, or go near to where my teammate is fighting and do my best to stall the enemy until he kills his opponent and helps me out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Tangential trip report: I just decided to see if I could rig up For Honor to work through Moonlight (third party implementation of Nvidia GameStream) and not only does it work, it really suits the format.

The outcome of this was I just sat at my place, playing For Honor on an iPad, online, controlling it with an Xbox One controller. The 21st century is finally fuckin' here boys.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think any class is intentionally supposed to be better at 1v1, since that's what all the gameplay is based around.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i know it's fun. it's just not balanced in the context of character matchups, will not be balanced in the context of character matchups, and classes shouldn't auto lose 1v1s and 2v2s just because their class isn't useless in 4v4s.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is the story mode any good

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Finally on an upward trend with my 0.50 kdr, something clicked and I'm fighting confidently and winning plenty of fights now...

Except because I've played so badly since release, my matchmaking score must be rock bottom in 1v1s because it's literally placing me against new players, who I'm stomping into the dust. It's fine when playing with friends because their matchmaking scores are fairly high so we fight competent people, but on my end it's not especially fun or enlightening to stamp on newbies so I hope it clears up soon :smith:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 18, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

It's fairly mediocre. It's got some really nice setpieces and the occasional fun gimmick, but it's largely an elaborate sequence of botmatches. About on the level of Battlefield 1's singleplayer, I'd say.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

It'd be way better if my ocd about getting all the collectible stuff didn't make me wander around a level for half an hour making sure I didn't miss anything in that particular section before moving on. I should just use a guide for this poo poo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'd be really surprised if there was any sort of MMR with the current 1v1 system just putting you in a lobby basically. I hope they implement a system like how fighting games work where you just get matched up for a bo3 then can immediately search for a new opponent.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I picked up two scavenger crates from breakables in the story mode and they disappeared from my inventory :argh:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Literally every dominion battle I've been in so far, has had a bot on my side and full team on the enemy side. Is this normal?

Also, how bad is the conqueror? I like flails on unhealthy amount.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Conquerers are baller and my friend who mains one regularly wins 3v1s. They're a serious nuisance to kill from my experience.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Good news everyone. It has been discovered that you can make Shugoki's heavy attacks unable to be parried. You can also bug the attack so that it hits twice with one swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVecAjlIkYQ

:getin:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

its good if you'd like to unlock a bunch of cosmetic stuff, a handful of item crates, some steel, and some practice with the different movesets.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Good to hear that KB+M is workable. Anyone have decent YouTube channels to check out for information? I just searched for For Honor and watched a couple, but it's either people playing the campaign mode very slowly or incredibly annoying people yelling "DIE human being" as they duel.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Aranan posted:

Good to hear that KB+M is workable. Anyone have decent YouTube channels to check out for information? I just searched for For Honor and watched a couple, but it's either people playing the campaign mode very slowly or incredibly annoying people yelling "DIE human being" as they duel.

I play exclusively via KB+M.

On an unrelated note, Dominion is a trash mode filled with trash players which for some retarded reason Ubisoft insists should be the primary gameplay mode.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Dominion is best mode

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Loopoo posted:

No poo poo Assassin classes are gonna dominate 1v1 / 2v2 matches? The point of the game is to have each class excel at what they do. Assassins are sure as hell gonna excel at... assassinating the poo poo out of people.

Please tell me this is a joke because good lord LOL.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
PC player. Should I be using 2 or 3 fingers on the mouse for counter guard break responsiveness?

I'd like to know the optional way before I really start and get used to something sub optimal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dominion is fun but I don't know how much of a future it has. The chief problem as I see it is so far the dominant strategy is to roll around as a giant murderball picking off the enemy team so that they respawn piece meal and can never form up to provide a unified defense. After you get the first couple kills you have one person peel off to cap and boost while the other three spend the whole game gang banging people as they respawn.

The only effective counterplay I know of is to do the exact same thing. The maps simply aren't large enough to discourage this kind of play

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Avail posted:

PC player. Should I be using 2 or 3 fingers on the mouse for counter guard break responsiveness?

I'd like to know the optional way before I really start and get used to something sub optimal.

I'd suggest remapping guardbreak to another key. I've got it on a mouse thumb button where it works fine, but any comfortable key near WASD would also work well.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Avail posted:

I have GB on side button so that my thumb is always on the GB button.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Liking the game so far, but can anyone with experience with the berserker give me some pointers? My strategy now is mostly dodge or deflect into an attack chain, which usually lets me get a few attacks in, but it always gets me destroyed by anyone who can reliably parry me before I get a good chain going, or anyone playing a conqueror who can stop my chain in its tracks. It feels like my low hp means I have way less room for error than the other guy. Is there some other reliable/safe strategy I'm just not seeing?

Im only prestige one with him so keep that in mind but the berserker is really good at punishing players when they attack you. It gets good attacks after dodging left or right that are easy to punish lunging attacks, it's spin attack is a good deterrent and a great way to get damage in but can be punished if they see it coming, it has an infinite chain attack when alternating between light and heavy that can trip up some people and it has an ability to auto guard break people if you dodge in the direction of an attack right before it hits that is hard to do but really rewarding if you get good enough with it. Also it's lunging heavy attack is un interuptable and a good way to trade hits but really easy to get away from if they aren't attacking at the time.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also the berserker gets a flip emote so he is the best class in the game.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
So I've ground Lawbringer to Rep 1, mostly from duels and brawls. I take back only half the good things I said about him. He does have a FEW positives.

1) Doesn't get punished as hard on parries. He's got that spear distance so although a Parry is still going to buttfuck your stamina you can usually just backstep or grab tech to avoid being punished. Nice that most classes can't confirm a parry into a heavy against Lawbringer.
2) MINDGAMES. If you get good at feinting with him you can do work. It's kinda like a raider. Also I learned you can unblockable attack if you Parry>Light attack>grab (Techable)>side heavy>side heavy. Feinting the unblockable a few times causes them to stop trying to parry it and it does really good damage.
3) ANYTHING 4v4. Dude has grenades for days, and his spear charge pushes people forever. Keep in mind the longer you hold Heavy Attack the further you shove them. Shoving them into a wall gets you a guaranteed side heavy attack just like throwing them against one.
4) gently caress all assassins. Shove is nice for when you get an attack spamming PK or Zerker. He really fucks with people who try to combo.
5) Easy stun if they're stamina drained. Grab>Throw>Overhead Heavy drops a stun which can let you do some sick poo poo against bads.

Basically the only thing holding him back in my opinion is that Warden and Raider do what he does but with less work and are just better at it. Warden is so amazing right now because of the crazy vortex and parry punish ability, and Raider is better at mindgames because his unblockable is easier to just toss in there plus his grab>tackle is way better than the Lawbringer's charge. I don't know if the issue is they're overpowered and he's where he should be, or if he needs some love.

So yeah I kinda stand by initial assessment. Playable sure, but not really better than other existing classes.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

IGN and gamespot both gave the game 8/10 in case anyone cares.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Good news everyone. It has been discovered that you can make Shugoki's heavy attacks unable to be parried. You can also bug the attack so that it hits twice with one swing.

:chanpop:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I wonder how long it'll take someone to accuse me of abusing this when I just play normally.

That's seriously stupid though so hopefully it gets patched.

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Haroshia posted:

So I've ground Lawbringer to Rep 1, mostly from duels and brawls. I take back only half the good things I said about him. He does have a FEW positives.

1) Doesn't get punished as hard on parries. He's got that spear distance so although a Parry is still going to buttfuck your stamina you can usually just backstep or grab tech to avoid being punished. Nice that most classes can't confirm a parry into a heavy against Lawbringer.
2) MINDGAMES. If you get good at feinting with him you can do work. It's kinda like a raider. Also I learned you can unblockable attack if you Parry>Light attack>grab (Techable)>side heavy>side heavy. Feinting the unblockable a few times causes them to stop trying to parry it and it does really good damage.
3) ANYTHING 4v4. Dude has grenades for days, and his spear charge pushes people forever. Keep in mind the longer you hold Heavy Attack the further you shove them. Shoving them into a wall gets you a guaranteed side heavy attack just like throwing them against one.
4) gently caress all assassins. Shove is nice for when you get an attack spamming PK or Zerker. He really fucks with people who try to combo.
5) Easy stun if they're stamina drained. Grab>Throw>Overhead Heavy drops a stun which can let you do some sick poo poo against bads.

Basically the only thing holding him back in my opinion is that Warden and Raider do what he does but with less work and are just better at it. Warden is so amazing right now because of the crazy vortex and parry punish ability, and Raider is better at mindgames because his unblockable is easier to just toss in there plus his grab>tackle is way better than the Lawbringer's charge. I don't know if the issue is they're overpowered and he's where he should be, or if he needs some love.

So yeah I kinda stand by initial assessment. Playable sure, but not really better than other existing classes.

If you team up with a high damage character, throwing an enemy to the ground is practically a death sentence for them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

That's seriously stupid though so hopefully it gets patched.

Solid review of For Honor.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Three things i didnt see anyone else mention.
1. The forward throw does lots of stamina drain, which is really punishing for shield classes since they start turtling at half stamina so you can usually just knock them on their asses with it.
2. Your infinite is only as good as you are. You can feint the heavies and dodge cancel the lights which gives you more mixups than any other class in addition to being able to change direction with every attack.
3. Dodge->light gives you a longer dodge range than anyone else, easily allowing you to get behind people and in my experience left dodge into light dodges almost every attack.

In terms of mind games remember if you dont attack for a second your direction disappears, and your dodge attacks always change your attack to the side you dodge towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm hanging out in discord if anyone wants to practice dueling. I'm not very good but if you're new you might learn something. If you're above that I will.