Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Otakufag posted:

I have a friend who wants his 2500k to finally die so he can purchase a new Kaby or Ryzen, what can he do?

http://i.imgur.com/bHlU0ML.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Delid it :v:

^^ Cheating bastard

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 16, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I wait for CPUs to die before buying a new one, I’d still be using a 6502.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

The IRS's allowable depreciation period for computer systems is 5 years. Toss that burden!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'll take that pesky old 2500k system off his hands for free.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Unhappy Meal posted:

The IRS's allowable depreciation period for computer systems is 5 years. Toss that burden!

You're not wrong, but if I can bring this bad boy back for $20 of caps and some work, that'd be really cool.

Hopefully it's just the 5 in that row closest to the socket, and I have 45 extras :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Otakufag posted:

I have a friend who wants his 2500k to finally die so he can purchase a new Kaby or Ryzen, what can he do?

Try spilling beer into it, I hear that works.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If anyone is interested. The friend with the ASUS P67 Sabertooth still has it and should be in really good shape still. If you need one for your Sandy Bridge chip let me know and I will get you two in contact.

The one disadvantage is the price they seem to be going for on eBay, ($150-300??!!!) But he is reasonable and it currently sits unused as a spare currently so there is that. (And he really wants a 1080TI to replace his SLI 780's so he might make a deal on those as well. lol

I have been the PC Parts Dealer for the V VR app team too lately so might as well branch it out. (Also have 2 open slots for Newegg Premiere if anyone is interested in that too)

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm just hoping my friends EVGA 1080 doesn't get hit by a problem, mostly as I recommended it to him.

He can type his card's serial number into the EVGA Thermal Mod page http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/
It will tell him if his card has the new vbios and thermal pad fix applied.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Otakufag posted:

Realise that you don't have to break your poo poo before buying new stuff. He can still sell the 2500K and board for a non-trivial sum, since they're still relevant.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

enigmatikone posted:

He can type his card's serial number into the EVGA Thermal Mod page http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/
It will tell him if his card has the new vbios and thermal pad fix applied.

Thanks, it's running the latest BIOS (flashed) and the pads were ordered, but never arrived. He's too lazy to chase that up... so :v:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I have a feeling that the used board market is really going to heat up if tepid CPU improvements are going to keep being a thing.

I wonder if manufacturers will figure its worth their while to start making cheaper, older boards.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's a good point, but are there still chipsets available?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You can see some old boards come out as new I am guessing from New old Stock, but man is it hard sometime to get anything that isn't total crap, or just a random refurb/used board marked up to all hell.

Take a look at what that P67 Sabertooth is going for on Amazon. :stare:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^Ignore amazon, check AliExpress, 1000% more reasonable and with better warranties

Gyrotica posted:

I have a feeling that the used board market is really going to heat up if tepid CPU improvements are going to keep being a thing.

I wonder if manufacturers will figure its worth their while to start making cheaper, older boards.

Based on AliExpress, it seems like they are _very_ ready for this to happen. They had a ton of "like new" refurbished for almost any Z68/Z77 board I searched for

The problem is that it takes 2-4+ weeks to arrive sometimes, and tax or w/e.

Shipping update: My caps should arrive Saturday, the DeoxyIT should be here tomorrow. Took everything completely apart and wiped/blew out a ton of dust. None of the other caps seem to have any bulges or leaks, which is reassuring.

Random question: Are those new maglev bearing-less fans compatible with push/pull radiator setups? That would make this water-cooling setup much, much quieter.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 16, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I just mentioned Amazon as a WTF!? price check lol. Definitly get it anywhere else but there.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't buy anything name brand from aliexpress. They're great if you want something fake and cheap, but you're just as likely to get a board with replaced caps from a no name brand if you're buying a "new" one from aliexpress. Replaced sockets are also a pretty common thing to do, people break the pins in them and if you have a reflow machine you could revive a board for a few dollars, but same deal that you're probably getting something not actually new with unknown history.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
So, with all the excitement being in the AMD thread at the moment, I thought I'd ask about some crystal ball gazing here.

What's coming that we know of in the next few years, in terms of non-CPU non-GPU stuff? (Because we pay enough attention to vega, ryzen, cannon/coffee lake, volta, etc)

I can think of:

• 2.5/5 Gbps ethernet. Starting to show up already, sometimes even with 10G on consumer boards.
  • HDMI 2.1. Spec out last month. 48 Gbps cables.
  • Display port 1.5 spec soon, supposedly. (32Gbps cables, 4k 144hz capable)
  • PCIe 4. This year, right?
  • DDR5 spec is supposed to come in 2020, I believe.

And, I suppose as a process thing, 3d nand is getting re-tooled so we should see more big SSDs for cheaper in a yearish, supposedly.

Anything else interesting that we know is in the works?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why this intermediate step of 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's supposed to be to allow people to use older wiring that isn't up to 10g specs. I don't think there has been enough real world use yet to see how effective that proves to be or if everyone needs to upgrade their old cat 5 anyways if they have runs longer than like 10 feet or something.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

crazypenguin posted:

So, with all the excitement being in the AMD thread at the moment, I thought I'd ask about some crystal ball gazing here.

What's coming that we know of in the next few years, in terms of non-CPU non-GPU stuff? (Because we pay enough attention to vega, ryzen, cannon/coffee lake, volta, etc)

I can think of:

• 2.5/5 Gbps ethernet. Starting to show up already, sometimes even with 10G on consumer boards.
  • HDMI 2.1. Spec out last month. 48 Gbps cables.
  • Display port 1.5 spec soon, supposedly. (32Gbps cables, 4k 144hz capable)
  • PCIe 4. This year, right?
  • DDR5 spec is supposed to come in 2020, I believe.

And, I suppose as a process thing, 3d nand is getting re-tooled so we should see more big SSDs for cheaper in a yearish, supposedly.

Anything else interesting that we know is in the works?

Optane but it will probably be a few years before the cost comes down enough for PC users to be interested.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why this intermediate step of 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps?

If it works on existing Cat5e and the NICs/switches are considerably cheaper than 10Gbit ones, I can see uses for it, for sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
PCIe gen4 will start showing up more in 2018, when Ice Lake CPUs are supposed to arrive in the 2nd half of the year as part of the Tinsley platform.

I think we'll see video cards from AMD/nVidia supporting it fairly quickly, but for the first while only the super badass ($$$$) enterprise drives will have support in the NVMe space I bet. Probably not until 2019 for consumer stuff, but then there will be a big avalanche of products.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HalloKitty posted:

If it works on existing Cat5e and the NICs/switches are considerably cheaper than 10Gbit ones, I can see uses for it, for sure.

Pretty much this. 2-5x as fast with no infrastructure changes, the speed is now able to single link source the newer MIMO ac and ax access points, and the link speed increase for things like workstations that have multi-GB files stored on a NAS or SAN are able to work much closer to the DAS performance they previously saw, again without having to tear the walls out and redo every single drop.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
When are native 2.5/5/10 gigabit ports going to start showing up in mid-range laptops and affordable routers though?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I doubt you'll going to see 10GBase-T in a laptop anytime soon or ever, because of how power hungry it is. 6-8W over the RJ45 port for maintaining signal integrity. That's why datacenters favor SFP+ even for very short copper runs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

priznat posted:

PCIe gen4 will start showing up more in 2018, when Ice Lake CPUs are supposed to arrive in the 2nd half of the year as part of the Tinsley platform.

I think we'll see video cards from AMD/nVidia supporting it fairly quickly, but for the first while only the super badass ($$$$) enterprise drives will have support in the NVMe space I bet. Probably not until 2019 for consumer stuff, but then there will be a big avalanche of products.
maybe SATA4 will come out of development hell by then

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

To what end given NVMe exists?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I know SAS 24Gbps is coming soon but is SATA4 going to be a thing?

Agreed that hopefully nvme replaces it, and it becomes if you want a few really fast drives get nvme and if you want a shitload of slower ones, SAS.

Gimmie an nvme nas with a couple 10GbE links :getin:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

fishmech posted:

When are native 2.5/5/10 gigabit ports going to start showing up in mid-range laptops and affordable routers though?

I would think it would be entirely more likely that we have an "age of dongles" (HEH) where everyone who needs 2.5-5Gbit performance will happily sacrifice a USB3.x port for it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm wondering if we will see more type C USB ports on motherboards along with a standardized front panel mobo header for the 10G USB.

Or is this already a thing and I missed it somehow?

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

SATA 3.2 is basically SATA4. It's what implemented SATAe and the M.2 and U.2 slots, and also allows them to use NVMe in addition to AHCI. SATA 3.2 allows for a max bandwidth of 32 gigabits (via 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes) compared to SATA3's 6 gigabit, so it'll be good enough for the time being.

U.2 is basically the SATA3 replacement people are looking for, but chipsets don't have enough bandwidth to simply replace every SATA3 port with a U.2, hence the current state of the market with mixed M.2 and SATA3. And weird limitations like some of your SATA ports get disabled if you plug in an M.2 drive.

Also, U.2 ports are kinda big and SATAe ports are huge, so physical space on motherboards is actually a concern, especially when you're talking laptops. Hence M.2 is succeeding, and consumer U.2 and SATAe are pretty much dead in the water since they're pretty much 3 implementations of the same thing.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 19, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

priznat posted:

I'm wondering if we will see more type C USB ports on motherboards along with a standardized front panel mobo header for the 10G USB.

Or is this already a thing and I missed it somehow?
I've still only to see one at most, even for the new Z270. They really don't seem to be banking on it, unless they just want everyone to hook it up to a hub/dock to power more things with it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Part of the problem is that USB 3.1 Gen 2 requires a lot of bandwidth and thus, multiple ports would require a not-insignificant amount of PCI-E lanes, iirc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

While it's nice that USB3.1 Gen2 can supply that much bandwidth, it'll probably be rarely used by multiple devices at once. Probably just one is going to saturate their connection at any given time, and probably just for a short moment under normal conditions.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

PerrineClostermann posted:

Part of the problem is that USB 3.1 Gen 2 requires a lot of bandwidth and thus, multiple ports would require a not-insignificant amount of PCI-E lanes, iirc.

Yeah, on a 2-lane budget, PCIe 4 would let us go from 1 port to 3 ports.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure why they don't double up ports and share bandwidth between pairs. This would be fine in many cases. Maybe the chips don't support such a thing? (Yet?) idk

priznat posted:

Is any of this confirmed at all? :( I was really hoping to see PCIe 4 sooner rather than later.

Internals are bandwidth constrained these days with 40G thunderbolt, multiple 10G usb, 5+G ethernet, 32G NVMe... all bottle-necked on 32G connection between CPU and chipset. It hasn't turned nasty for consumers because it's rare to use that much bandwidth at once, but it's already quite possible to. (e.g. VR sensor poo poo likes 15G of total USB bandwidth. So just using VR is going to slow NVMe performance by up to half... which doesn't really matter yet but it means we're already affected. Who knows how many more sensors they'd like to have if it wouldn't overload our systems. Oculus is already on the record as wishing they could use more USB 3 ports but USB controllers seem to have trouble keeping up.)

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

While it's nice that USB3.1 Gen2 can supply that much bandwidth, it'll probably be rarely used by multiple devices at once. Probably just one is going to saturate their connection at any given time, and probably just for a short moment under normal conditions.

Except if you're an oculus rift owner :laugh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hope they swallow their pride and adopt Lighthouse tracking, because what sort of bullshit solution is it to sample two or more cameras at high resolution and framerate for tracking?!

crazypenguin posted:

Internals are bandwidth constrained these days with 40G thunderbolt, multiple 10G usb, 5+G ethernet, 32G NVMe... all bottle-necked on 32G connection between CPU and chipset. It hasn't turned nasty for consumers because it's rare to use that much bandwidth at once, but it's already quite possible to. (e.g. VR sensor poo poo likes 15G of total USB bandwidth. So just using VR is going to slow NVMe performance by up to half... which doesn't really matter yet but it means we're already affected. Who knows how many more sensors they'd like to have if it wouldn't overload our systems. Oculus is already on the record as wishing they could use more USB 3 ports but USB controllers seem to have trouble keeping up.)
One reason I'm going to stick with HEDT CPUs going forward, at least until the desktop ones expand the lane count (who knows what might happen with Coffee Lake, given they start pushing towards 6 cores). Right now I have graphics, 10GbE and a NVMe SSD all on the CPUs PCIe lanes with full bandwidth, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 19, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they don't qualify as USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports unless they can actually hit the spec-required bandwidth at all times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

There's also not a lot of great desktop applications for USB-C compared to mobile solutions. For example you wouldn't power your desktop with USB-C. You don't need external GPU, and you don't need to reduce the number of ports just to make your desktop physically smaller.