Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's going to turn Mark Trail into his other interminable "adventure" strip.

Even moreso than it was.

With equally awful art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

The thing about A3G towards the end was you got the palpable feeling that the artist no longer gave a gently caress (the writer was another story entirely). Jam Esallen honestly thinks he's doing a great job.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

The thing about A3G towards the end was you got the palpable feeling that the artist no longer gave a gently caress (the writer was another story entirely). Jam Esallen honestly thinks he's doing a great job.
I got the impression that at the end of 3-G the artist was still trying and cared, he just couldn't do it anymore, and considering he was ~90 when the strip ended, that's not hard to believe.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 21, 1929; click to zoom in on The Moral)

Peanuts (February 21, 1970)

And then he tells Chris Christie to order the same.

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 9-10, 1930)

Thimble Theater (September 8, 1930)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Am I mistaken or is Dirty a character we've seen before?

I probably have the details wrong but I'm like 90% sure that Dirty was a wildlife refuge worker who was secretly working with poachers to smuggle ivory. His comeuppance was to be eaten by lions or trampled by an elephant stampede or something, so obviously if he's brought back he must have a facial scar.

goatface posted:

He's going to turn Mark Trail into his other interminable "adventure" strip.

Even moreso than it was.

With equally awful art.

And a single style of bubble-letter onomatopoeia that he uses in two out of every three strips.

KRRRRMMMBBBLLLKAKAKRGAGAKK

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 18, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Walker posted:

I got the impression that at the end of 3-G the artist was still trying and cared, he just couldn't do it anymore, and considering he was ~90 when the strip ended, that's not hard to believe.

The A3G artist was actively hostile towards the writer, blatantly not even trying to draw the things the writer described in the dialogue.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

God, I hate Buck.

He's clearly meant to be a sympathetic "lovable loser" character, but he's not lovable because joking self-pity is still self-pity, and he's not a loser because he had millions of comic book dollars dropped into his drat lap.

e:

Stultus Maximus posted:

The A3G artist was actively hostile towards the writer, blatantly not even trying to draw the things the writer described in the dialogue.

Frank Bolle deteriorated pretty sharply toward the end. The last few strips were just crude scratchy people in turtlenecks and sportcoats smilingly reciting unevenly-lettered dialogue with minimal backgrounding:

I still think this was funny though:

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 18, 2017

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
In memory of Pop Team Epic

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

e: Just noticed I didn't post on the 15th, so here's an extra day's worth of comics.
Calvin and Hobbes

I remember being a VERY annoyed six-year-old when the refrigerator box I'd so carefully retrofitted didn't launch me through an interdimensional continuum lapse, let alone let me see any dinosaurs. I mean, YES, I could (and did) just make them up, but I was really hoping I'd found a way around that.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Catching up with Sally Forth

Way longer than that.

How so? Lots of kids call their friends' parents by their first names. :confused:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lol

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Johnny Walker posted:

God, I hate Buck.

I don't know, he's starting to grow on me a bit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Catching up with Sally Forth

Way longer than that.
Actually if you go back more than five or six years I think she was like, ten or so.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When I first started reading this thread I thought the kids in Sally Forth were at least 15.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo

So I really want to make fun of Baldo, but that Texas flag/Chile flag is apparently such a thing that Texas lawmaker actually introduced a bill asking people not to use the Chilean flag emoji when talking about Texas, so I guess they got that right.

So... like, how would that bill even work? It's obviously unenforceable, was he asking for money to like, start an ad campaign? Put up flyers or something?

Wizard of Id believes in climate change more than Mark Trail

Big Nate

There's no new Wallace the Brave from friday, so here's two random Wallace:

Curtis doesn't have a punchline in the first strip, so it decided to make up for it by including two in the second strip.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Mister Olympus posted:

In memory of Pop Team Epic

Is this a reference to something? I've seen it before.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Drakyn posted:

I remember being a VERY annoyed six-year-old when the refrigerator box I'd so carefully retrofitted didn't launch me through an interdimensional continuum lapse, let alone let me see any dinosaurs. I mean, YES, I could (and did) just make them up, but I was really hoping I'd found a way around that.

My Calvin and Hobbes box story: My little brother won a giant tiger (the size of him) at a ring toss at Bush Gardens when we were kids, and he insisted we ship the tiger home (we lived in Kansas, this place is in Tampa, Florida).

So my dad boxed it up in a box bigger than me and shipped it home. First thing I did was gut that human adult sized box and draw buttons and labels on the side to turn me into the Incredible Hulk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Once again I will note that I hope Hil remains 12 while Bettina ages in realtime.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
I like the Calvin & Hobbes where he gets the beanie with the little propeller on top, after waiting weeks and imagining himself flying through the air. Of course he's extremely mad and disappointed when it doesn't make him fly but it turns out OK because he and Hobbes play with the box.

I guess the closest thing I have to that disappointment was when I ordered Sea Monkeys and finally got them. They're just brine shrimp. Boring. No, I didn't think they would wear clothes and read the paper in the water, but I figured they would be better than brine shrimp.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've decided to fill two holes in this thread:

Weekly strip Flash Gordon. Yes, that one. I'm starting from a year ago, since it provided a convenient starting point. I'll be posting two at a time until we catch up.

Old Newspaper Spider-Man. You know it. You love its delusions of adequacy. It's been running a really loving long time, and our friends in the Newspaper Spider-Man thread have assembled an archive of strips going all the way back to 1999. They're worth the read, but 18 years of strips at once is a slightly intimidating read. I'll be posting them at a more sane week at a time, starting with Peter facing the greatest villain of all: a TV psychologist.

(I loving love that they've been recycling the same Sunday headers since at least 1999)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Haifisch posted:

I've decided to fill two holes in this thread:

yeeeeeeesssss both of these are great additions to the thread.

Is the Keefe that does the Flash Gordon strips the same Keefe who does the artwork for Sally Forth? If so, it's great seeing that clean art style used in a different genre. Sometimes you get hints in Sally Forth that the artist wants to be doing more than the fairly-static family discussions Francesco writes for him, and I think it's great seeing him go ahead and go full-on retro-serial style.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Is the Keefe that does the Flash Gordon strips the same Keefe who does the artwork for Sally Forth? If so, it's great seeing that clean art style used in a different genre. Sometimes you get hints in Sally Forth that the artist wants to be doing more than the fairly-static family discussions Francesco writes for him, and I think it's great seeing him go ahead and go full-on retro-serial style.
He sure is!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wasn't there a whole thing with Keefe taking over Sally Forth and switching it to his art style and everyone was like "NOOOOOPE"?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set can't do this if you're watching.

Working Daze is in an abusive relationship.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is out of touch.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse - I'm gonna post a random one every day there's no timely update, which feels like it happens multiple times a week.

Viivi & Wagner

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

(For historical context, Carter appeared on TV in a cardigan asking people to conserve energy by simply turning down their thermostats and dressing more warmly at home. People hated this.

This strip also reminded me of another way in which Carter was held to a different standard.)

Arlo and Janis Classic (Dec. 22, 1994)

Garfield Classic (Dec. 22, 1984)

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 19, 2017

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Once again I will note that I hope Hil remains 12 while Bettina ages in realtime.

I hope Bettina never gives up the nose-grabbing thing.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mountaineer posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

two more randonm Wallace the Brave

Curtis

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Christ.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Vargo posted:

two more randonm Wallace the Brave

y'know, the more it gets posted, the more I find that I really REALLY like Wallace the Brave.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

A Canadian who fall on she own ice, a shameful Canadian.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

How grognards are born. :smith:

• Locked thread