Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

Are you also that Derek Smart who is a 14 year old girl from Norway cos if so .... "Hello Derekette, who is a good little girl then? Come on, give your uncle Kossy a kiss"

No, you're supposed to be creepy towards MoMA, not Derek!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

I'm genuinely sorry if this comes off as mean spirited or contrarian but why does it keep happening specifically in this thread? Like I don't see many other probations for that particular rule break outside of here, and most of the bans in this thread are about doxing. Why is it such a draw here? In any case, good work on trying to discourage people from doing that.

It'd be cool if Zen Death Robot would ban you for backseat modding instead of the people that complain about you, black baby goku, plutonis, improbable lobster, lumpy the cook, darkman fanpage, net cafe scandal, INRI and whoever else being weirdo forums stalkers.

Good job catching something you consider to be doxing within a literal minute of it being posted in a thread you claim to not read.

QCS is the next step since your GBS thread last week went nowhere after the everest thread the week before that you weirdo forums stalkers got closed. The admins are on your side (at least Zen Death Robot) so maybe the seventh times the charm on this concern troll.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

legion989 posted:

Please make another QCS thread where everyone tells Derek Smart hes going to be permabanned once the Admins find out and then nothing ends up happening....again.

And Lowtax tells all of you to gently caress off... again

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ArfJason posted:

I'm genuinely sorry if this comes off as mean spirited or contrarian but why does it keep happening specifically in this thread? Like I don't see many other probations for that particular rule break outside of here, and most of the bans in this thread are specifically about doxing. Why is it such a draw here? In any case, good work on trying to discourage people from doing that.

I'm sure I'm going to regret this, but I'm going to try and give what appears to be a genuine question a genuine answer.

The whole Star Citizen thing has sort of evolved into "inter-forums war" in the eyes of some of the people who are genuinely invested in either the support of or the downfall of the game. Generally that's weighted a little heavier on the side of the people supporting the game - and trying to bring down the SomethingAwful menace, as they put it - but I will admit that some of our users here are still overzealous in their mockery, something I work very hard to try and curb when I see it. In any case, the parties involved in this are made up of a lot of reddit and 4chan users, many of whom view doxxing as the ultimate form of internet warfare, for whatever insane reason. The user whose probation/ban brought you back here this afternoon had shared a screenshot of some 4channers attempting to doxx Derek Smart in order to (somehow) prove that Derek=bad means Star Citizen=good. I believe that poster's intent was less to share the information and more to prove that 4channers are idiots, but nevertheless it directly violates the rules and I am not willing to offer leeway based on "intent" when it comes to this.

Since becoming a mod here that's actually only the second time I've had to deal with doxxing in the thread. I agree that's two times too many, and I'm aware of issues from before my time as a mod obviously. The first was a user posting the personal details of someone who I will say is "allegedly" a lying, scamming pick up artist who sexually abuses women - something which everyone here should be very clear does not make doxxing that person okay. These examples aren't meant to convince you that "our" doxxing is somehow okay or acceptable, but to highlight that we're not just doxxing people 24/7 in this thread and the mod-team is more than willing to punish those who do it. In any case I think the answer to your question is that for many of the posters on both sides of this thing, the argument has become very personal. It's something - again - that we are trying to curb on our end of things, but as someone who has received death threats and credible threats of doxxing from redditors who are mad at me for getting a refund on a video game, there is some small part of me that understands when one of our posters decides to retaliate. Again, that doesn't make it okay and I will happily be "overbearing" or "heavy handed" when it comes to doxxing concerns, due to the nature and history of the subforum. In short, I guess the answer is that some people are taking this whole thing far too seriously.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's probably best to not actually answer the "hey we are just a totally spontaneous and concerned gang of posters that are not at all organized" group of forum stalkers that are manipulating the stupidest admin since ralp into closing down people and things they don't like.

any answer, no matter how honest will be ammunition for the inevitable QCS thread where the same ten guys show up to preach to the cheap seats about the injustices of the star citizen thread.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Now, that being said, this is not a subforum or thread devoted to discussing the merits of doxxing. If you want to post about Star Citizen you are welcome to, but if you want to continue to talk about doxxing you can send me a PM.

Following this post If you want to continue to talk about doxxing and or why it is bad, I will put you on probation. Same goes for everyone who wants to drop a sick own on Arf - I'm incredibly tired of this.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Spatial posted:

ArfJason is the 26th most ignored poster on the entire forums. lol

How do you even tell that?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

posting the personal details of someone who I will say is "allegedly" a lying, scamming pick up artist who sexually abuses women

Was it this cool guy?

He's got a cool company with some.......odd reviews online.

I don't remember who/what doxxed him though. Was it the blog post?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Space Crabs posted:

it's probably best to not actually answer the "hey we are just a totally spontaneous and concerned gang of posters that are not at all organized" group of forum stalkers that are manipulating the stupidest admin since ralp into closing down people and things they don't like.

any answer, no matter how honest will be ammunition for the inevitable QCS thread where the same ten guys show up to preach to the cheap seats about the injustices of the star citizen thread.

I dunno that last thread was pretty funny. People were telling Derek he'd be banned by the end of the weekend since apparently they didn't realize that Derek and Lowtax are buddies now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Samizdata posted:

How do you even tell that?

Up on the top of your screen there's a butt on for "posting gloryhole" with a bunch of fun categories.

Honestly, as "literally the worst poster on the forum" I'm upset to not be on that list. :colbert:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm sure I'm going to regret this, but I'm going to try and give what appears to be a genuine question a genuine answer.

The whole Star Citizen thing has sort of evolved into "inter-forums war" in the eyes of some of the people who are genuinely invested in either the support of or the downfall of the game. Generally that's weighted a little heavier on the side of the people supporting the game - and trying to bring down the SomethingAwful menace, as they put it - but I will admit that some of our users here are still overzealous in their mockery, something I work very hard to try and curb when I see it. In any case, the parties involved in this are made up of a lot of reddit and 4chan users, many of whom view doxxing as the ultimate form of internet warfare, for whatever insane reason. The user whose probation/ban brought you back here this afternoon had shared a screenshot of some 4channers attempting to doxx Derek Smart in order to (somehow) prove that Derek=bad means Star Citizen=good. I believe that poster's intent was less to share the information and more to prove that 4channers are idiots, but nevertheless it directly violates the rules and I am not willing to offer leeway based on "intent" when it comes to this.

Since becoming a mod here that's actually only the second time I've had to deal with doxxing in the thread. I agree that's two times too many, and I'm aware of issues from before my time as a mod obviously. The first was a user posting the personal details of someone who I will say is "allegedly" a lying, scamming pick up artist who sexually abuses women - something which everyone here should be very clear does not make doxxing that person okay. These examples aren't meant to convince you that "our" doxxing is somehow okay or acceptable, but to highlight that we're not just doxxing people 24/7 in this thread and the mod-team is more than willing to punish those who do it. In any case I think the answer to your question is that for many of the posters on both sides of this thing, the argument has become very personal. It's something - again - that we are trying to curb on our end of things, but as someone who has received death threats and credible threats of doxxing from redditors who are mad at me for getting a refund on a video game, there is some small part of me that understands when one of our posters decides to retaliate. Again, that doesn't make it okay and I will happily be "overbearing" or "heavy handed" when it comes to doxxing concerns, due to the nature and history of the subforum. In short, I guess the answer is that some people are taking this whole thing far too seriously.

I'll say that it's a shame that a question that is genuine is met with cautious skepticism and seen as facetious. As for the actual point, I think the problem here is that spending a whole hell of a lot of time reading posts on reddit, star citizen forums and poo poo to find contradictions or make fun of idiots who got scammed is the kind of thing that attracts people who take stuff like Star Citizen too seriously. Like that whole procedure is already taking it too seriously. Like I get the appeal of mocking weirdoes, but there's something liket taking it too far. In any case, I'm glad you didn't childishly dismiss this like half the thread did, and actually bothered to explain your thoughts, even if we disagree.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Now, that being said, this is not a subforum or thread devoted to discussing the merits of doxxing. If you want to post about Star Citizen you are welcome to, but if you want to continue to talk about doxxing you can send me a PM.

Following this post If you want to continue to talk about doxxing and or why it is bad, I will put you on probation. Same goes for everyone who wants to drop a sick own on Arf - I'm incredibly tired of this.

ah, i was typing the post before hitting refresh and seeing this, many apologies.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Also Ralp got banned.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

You and me both.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Regrettable posted:

they didn't realize that Derek and Lowtax are buddies now.

This image, but with Derek and Lowtax.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What about them space games eh guys

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I hereby posit - based on empirical evidence - that space games...

.... are bad.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

.... are bad.

On the other hand they are really good, but I respectfully disagree with myself and they are indeed very bad

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

It's like you smell the poo poo in the thread so you figure your posts won't up the stank much

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, that looks about right.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I probably missed it with the most recent doxxing stuff, but

How is this:

and this

allowed? It's blatant false advertising , and if they tried it with Steam they'd get the game pulled in an hour

How do they get away with lying outright like that, without any sort of repreccusions?

There are not 48 ships to fly, there's like what 10 completed, with variants of each one, a new paint job doensn't make it a whole new ship

Ugh I'm so angry at this video game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

On the other hand they are really good, but I respectfully disagree with myself and they are indeed very bad

if their so bad how cum u play the alla time

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

They suck and are for nerds. Freemium waifu games are the future in whale milking technology.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

.... are bad.

That's because, based on empirical evidence, all games are bad.

Sappo569 posted:

How is this:

allowed? It's blatant false advertising , and if they tried it with Steam they'd get the game pulled in an hour

How do they get away with lying outright like that, without any sort of repreccusions?

There are not 48 ships to fly, there's like what 10 completed, with variants of each one, a new paint job doensn't make it a whole new ship
It mostly isn't. But the latter is not so much outright lying as being outright incompetent by not understanding what they're actually saying. They don't know distance from area from volume, apparently, and have come up with a slogan that holds true in, oh, almost every game ever except maybe some linear auto-scroller games. Hell, give me fine enough a measuring device and I'll eke out a couple of sextillion kilometres just by exploring my apartment.

I also doubt they understand how utterly tiny that figure is on the scale of things. :D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 18, 2017

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Could we rather post about toilets and how Ben try to use them ?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

How is this:

and this

My favorite part of that whole bit was that they show all these "impressive" numbers laid over boring rear end footage and end with 17 KNOWN MISSIONS like congrats guys you made a WoW starting zone. Good job.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sappo569 posted:

How is this:

and this

The same reason they went to their own crowdfunded website in the first place. They want to keep getting money without being liable for any protections that any real company would put in place (Steam/Kickstarter) and their customers are so delusional and desperate for this dream that they don't care and use their own faith in place of actual terms of service or legal protections.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

That's because, based on empirical evidence, all games are bad.

Have you played... Universal Combat?

(lol, google takes until the b in combat to guess that)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Space Crabs posted:

The same reason they went to their own crowdfunded website in the first place. They want to keep getting money without being liable for any protections that any real company would put in place (Steam/Kickstarter) and their customers are so delusional and desperate for this dream that they don't care and use their own faith in place of actual terms of service or legal protections.

Yeah but, there must be some sort of consumer protection available even if they run their own show

Otherwise I'm going to start my own company and sell DREAMS for $500 a pop, never ship anything to anyone and .... profit?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's like you smell the poo poo in the thread so you figure your posts won't up the stank much

I don't think you smell THAT much like poo poo. Just take a shower.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kosumo posted:

Are you also that Derek Smart who is a 14 year old girl from Norway cos if so .... "Hello Derekette, who is a good little girl then? Come on, give your uncle Kossy a kiss"

I don't understand this post. Are you a pedophile? Could someone explain? Not really familiar with this subforums culture

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

if their so bad how cum u play the alla time

I played Elite again the other night for the first time in a while and lost everything :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't understand this post. Are you a pedophile? Could someone explain? Not really familiar with this subforums culture

I think that one baffled us all

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thanks to our two mods for putting up with the amount of idiocy we collectively come up with. :v

How baffling this must be for the shills having to keep an eye on the conversation as well...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

net cafe scandal posted:

The background reference of the post is easy enough to explain; where he actually went with it… ehm… less so.

The Big Doxxing™ that happened in the history of SC threads — the one that got DSmart de-modded and banned — was when he finally got fed up with and outed a scammer who, among other things, posed as a Norwegian girl to cash in on those horny internet gamer gifts that always follow when people do that. It didn't end well for anyone involved, but since then, there is this oddball connection between Norwegian girls and Derek that you can always make fun of.

I don't remember anymore if the scammer in question actually claimed to be 14 or not, but even if he didn't, there is this other curious connection where a surprising number of high-profile individuals in the SC community have turned out to be outright pedophiles, pedophile wannabes (yes, really), or just utter creeps who'd hit on anything. So that part of the reference works out regardless.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sappo569 posted:

Yeah but, there must be some sort of consumer protection available even if they run their own show

Otherwise I'm going to start my own company and sell DREAMS for $500 a pop, never ship anything to anyone and .... profit?

I think the way it's worked so far is due to a few factors

1) The "Terms" at all levels of this are pretty nebulous. They are selling dreams and delivering something. Even explaining the situation is difficult.
2) It takes an overwhelming amount of evidence and proof to get the authorities involved. The FTC and Consumer protection agencies aren't going to shut them down with 1 email or probably even 1000 since they are an international company that employs people and targeting them unfairly could lead to lawsuits for disruption of their business.
3) The primary people that could cause the action, and argue the terms are the customers that are largely too stupid or delusional to "Betray the vision" or "Destroy the dream" due to cult like indoctrination and language.

A good example of #3 last year was when they delayed 2.6 and had a "Community Managers Report" from Chris Roberts. The whole thing was filled with words like "Family" and inspirational feel good language but the situation it was based around was them delaying their own self appointed deadline on a product that is already 3 years late that they have delivered 0.005% of while asking for more money.

That's what leads to that 28 year old in the recently posted story that has driven himself to unemployment and homelessness and when asked to get a refund on the unknown, potentially tens of thousands, he has spent on Star Citizen he spouts things like "Chris Roberts is changing gaming" and "This will revolutionize gaming." It's the cult's chants.

The longer this goes on the more customers can start complaining to the authorities and then the authorities can realize this isn't a respectable international company doing business and is instead a gigantic scam selling lies to susceptible marks. The problem is the marks have apparently infinite patience for not receiving the magical fantasy they have bought and have turned it into a religion, otherwise this shitshow would have been shut down a long time ago.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 18, 2017

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Against my better judgement I wasted bandwidth downloading 2.6.1.

Oh, dear. 30 minutes in and this is still badly broken.

Pros
* Loads faster than previously
* Better FPS than previously. Solid 60fps at 4k resolution (but I have upgraded from 2xSLId GTX 980s, to a single GTX 1080 since the last time I tried it).

Cons
* FPS immediately drops to 30 as soon as you join the PU.
* Game locks up if you dare to press the B button (yes, I'm using a Xbone controller for this, so shoot me) in the graphics menu. Have to kill the task.
* Unable to enter constellation lift pad from 2 sides of it.
* Combat is still an utter yawn-fest, with absolutely no requirement to manoeuvre. Just throttle to max, and hold the mouse pointer over the enemy ship.

Conclusion
Still utter rubbish

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Space Crabs posted:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why the gently caress was there so much talk about 2.6.1 lately? I just got an email that it was just released. 3.0 is due for 2019, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why the gently caress was there so much talk about 2.6.1 lately? I just got an email that it was just released. 3.0 is due for 2019, isn't it?

2.6 was the big money grabbing attempt during the anniversary where they forced out a patch that everyone knew was a 2.5.x patch with even those features cut.

Now they are running a sale and loudly trumpeting THE NEW PATCH!!!!!

When it's really just what was originally supposed to be in that 2.5.x patch.

The smaller and smaller their updates get the louder and louder they need to advertise them, they need money and have nothing.

3.0, officially, from what CIG has said was supposed to be out last year and they just aren't telling backers anything about it. It's only this thread with the leaks that is looking at 2017 3.0 for a hilarious hack or 2018+ for all of the advertised features they used to make money during citizencon