Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

You say that like it's a point of pride, when its actually a mark of shame.

I wasn't "bragging". I was stating a fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

An Idiotic "Fact". If you can only find two PS4 exclusives that are "worth it", maybe Vidrogames aren't your "thing"

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Bloodborne, KoF14, Rez Infinite, TLG, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Yakuza 0/Kiwami/6, Future Tone, the list just goes on.

And that isn't even getting into stuff that is coming but isn't out yet like DJ Max Respect, Dissidia, GVS, or their basic monopoly on fighting games.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, duh, how'd I forget, we're getting SRW games for PS4 in english now too. Duh. That right there is enough for me, everything else is just a bonus.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 18, 2017

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

An Idiotic "Fact". If you can only find two PS4 exclusives that are "worth it", maybe Vidrogames aren't your "thing"

I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Bloodborne, KoF14, Rez Infinite, TLG, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Yakuza 0/Kiwami/6, Future Tone, the list just goes on.

And that isn't even getting into stuff that is coming but isn't out yet like DJ Max Respect, Dissidia, GVS, or their basic monopoly on fighting games.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, duh, how'd I forget, we're getting SRW games for PS4 in english now too. Duh. That right there is enough for me, everything else is just a bonus.

Wierd. No mention of Persona 5.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A2 is literally perfect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have they revealed any details about different playable characters?
I know that there are going to be 3 of them but will you be able to switch between them or do you play different characters at the different points in the story? I'm curious about how that is going to work.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not really been elaborated on. They've been playful about even being able to play as A2 even, despite it not really being in doubt.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not really been elaborated on. They've been playful about even being able to play as A2 even, despite it not really being in doubt.

I remember hearing something about having to complete the game 3 times to get all the endings (from that 30 minute long gameplay, video I think) so maybe you'll unlock new character at the end of your first playthrough and you'll have to complete the game as each character to get all the endings?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Flint_Paper posted:

I finally got the D ending last night! I'm glad that I didn't just watch YouTube videos of it - actually going through it and watching it on my PlayStation was eerie and unsettling and oh god now I'm jonesing for Automata super hard.

It's freaking heartrending and amazing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Flint_Paper posted:

I finally got the D ending last night! I'm glad that I didn't just watch YouTube videos of it - actually going through it and watching it on my PlayStation was eerie and unsettling and oh god now I'm jonesing for Automata super hard.

Kudos on pulling the trigger, a lot of people just youtube it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
One cool little detail is that after ending D, you can't use that previous name for Papa Nier in new games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Wierd. No mention of Persona 5.

I keep forgetting that it's PS4 exclusive in the US. Blame the years of expecting it to be PS3 only.

Edit: Wait, no, it is coming for PS3 in the US. So yeah, not really 'exclusive'. But then again I put home console ports of arcade games in there too so hey :shrug:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 18, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flint_Paper posted:

automata's final ending will hypnotize the player into a stupor and then cause the gpu to light on fire and burn them alive

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

automata's final ending will hypnotize the player into a stupor and then cause the gpu to light on fire and burn them alive

Sounds great. Sign me up. :thumbsup:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Real hurthling! posted:

This is what is delaying the PC version. They gotta figure out how to make even the most overcooled GPU ignite.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It plays the video from The Ring and you die.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Real hurthling! posted:

This is all right. Come on, gently caress me up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Well, at that point my life will have been complete anyway, so I can accept it.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Iv gone an ordered the t-shirt edition from amazon uk, maybe its xxxl.. Also, amazon germany says pc version is december.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oovee posted:

Also, amazon germany says pc version is december.

They probably just put it on as late as possible this year until the final release date is confirmed.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
Has it been mentioned that if you pre-order the pc version on Square's store it says the release date is March 31?
Whenever it is, I can understand them not announcing a set date (even if it releases same day as the PS4 version). Marketing is completely focused on the PS4. PS4 is where they expect to make the big bucks and they're probably worried about losing sales to piracy on the PC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cgeq posted:

Whenever it is, I can understand them not announcing a set date (even if it releases same day as the PS4 version). Marketing is completely focused on the PS4. PS4 is where they expect to make the big bucks and they're probably worried about losing sales to piracy on the PC.

Understandable, to be honest. Especially considering that Japanese devs don't seem to be aware of Denuvo or don't like to use it some some reason..

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Probably cause they don't want to spend the money to use it and crackers already found a way to beat it anway

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Both RE7 and Berseria used it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's been a while since I knew anything serious about binary reversing, but my understanding is that Denuvo is still a total bastard to crack in the general case. Current bypass techniques basically work by finding the codepaths used by the game to talk to Denuvo and individually neutering them, which takes a wildly variable amount of time based on how clever the game devs were at hiding them. RE7 was apparently done incompetently enough to approach malpractice, in that respect.

Given how much of a game's sales are in the first week or two, the existence of a way to eventually crack a Denuvoed game may not prevent devs from using it anyway.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Eopia posted:

Anyone know where to find a translation of the Fire of Prometheus Novella, the one with P-33 Beepy in it? I'm pretty sure it showed up in one of Dark Id's lp threads but I haven't been able to find it, and I felt like re-reading it before the game comes out considering what I remember of its ending.

Yes, I did find that translation on fire sanctuary but it cuts off before the end and I couldn't find anything else, which is why I'm here asking.

I had a translation up on my Tumblr, but took it down when I realized I had accidentally omitted two paragraphs describing the androids of all things. I just re-upped the new, completed version: https://medium.com/@khodazat/nier-novella-the-flame-of-prometheus-bdb8738933cf#.fwfswtiqr

It's written by Yoko himself and ties directly into Automata, so definitely worth a read! Spoilers for NieR if you haven't finished the original yet.

Speaking of translations, I know the Japanese Black Box edition comes with a book containing NieR-related novellas (not included in the English version). From what I've seen, most of them seem to be reprints of the stories from Grimoire NieR, but if there are any new stories I'd be glad to translate them if a kind soul is willing to provide me with scans (I missed the deadline for ordering a Black Box for myself, sob).

There's also an Automata guidebook coming out in late March that will apparently feature Yoko-penned short stories. I'll be looking out for those as well!

dazat fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 19, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I remember hearing something about having to complete the game 3 times to get all the endings (from that 30 minute long gameplay, video I think) so maybe you'll unlock new character at the end of your first playthrough and you'll have to complete the game as each character to get all the endings?

Pretty sure they said that there are multiple endings (no given number), that the first ending is only the halfway point or so and that you need to figure out how to get them yourselves. But there's been no information when you can play as who, even if playthrough 2 = 9S mode makes sense and what not.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

well that would explain why Yoko Taro is climbing out of my TV

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

dazat posted:

I had a translation up on my Tumblr, but took it down when I realized I had accidentally omitted two paragraphs describing the androids of all things. I just re-upped the new, completed version: https://medium.com/@khodazat/nier-novella-the-flame-of-prometheus-bdb8738933cf#.fwfswtiqr

It's written by Yoko himself and ties directly into Automata, so definitely worth a read! Spoilers for NieR if you haven't finished the original yet.

I'm so glad this is back online! Now I can just link people this version when I want to introduce them to Robot Jesus Beepy

I love how this is the first ever appearance of the androids and they're already described as scantily clad :v:

Nina fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 19, 2017

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Weeping Wound posted:

well that would explain why Yoko Taro is climbing out of my TV

Nah he just does that.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

You just kinda sign into a wordless agreement that Taro can materialize in your house and drink all the beer in the fridge when you buy his games. That's just what life is like as a DOD fan

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Nina posted:

You just kinda sign into a wordless agreement that Taro can materialize in your house and drink all the beer in the fridge when you buy his games. That's just what life is like as a DOD fan

Why doesn't Taro like my beer?? :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Taro's twitter always sharing vital information.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Taro's twitter always sharing vital information.

Oh Yoko. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've never actually played any of his games*, but now that I've become aware of him he's quickly becoming my favorite game person.

*On systems I never owned/came out during a lull in my gaming or whatever

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Real talk it makes me feel warm and fuzzy that Taro is popular now and gets to make a game that'll probably sell a ton because he's deserved it and hasn't gotten the recognition he should have during his career in gaming. :unsmith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Real talk it makes me feel warm and fuzzy that Taro is popular now and gets to make a game that'll probably sell a ton because he's deserved it and hasn't gotten the recognition he should have during his career in gaming. :unsmith:

I sincerely want gaming to be a medium where people talk about video games having moving and thought provoking stories like The Last of Us or Gone Home for easy points to show their cred but with a quiet acceptance that the actual best stories are written by a dude who pushes the envelope and strives to defy convention to a demerit at times and likes big butts, downer stories, big butts, cool chicks who kill their sisters and take their men, Nier Automata T-Shirts, sassy dragons, cute baby dragons and last but most, big butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's weird how Yoko Taro's role is being emphasized more now, it used to be a behind-the-scenes thing that only nerds like us picked up on but then E3 happened and here he is just walking out onstage wearing a crazy mask.