Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Food-borne illnesses are not as common as people make them out to be. That's kinda the reason we're so anal about it in pro kitchens because you gently caress it up once and you're that restaurant that poisons their customers. Not saying you should be lax, but you can have terrible sanitation practices and get by with idiot luck. I mean, you're making fewer meals in a year than a high volume restaurant does in a day. Or, you could follow the rules and still get sick. A big part of something like a HAACP plan is being able to trace the outbreak even if it is no fault of your own. This doesn't really come into play in a home kitchen, however, most people assume the last meal they ate is what got them sick, when usually it is the meal before that so be wary of assuming something is or isn't your doing based on that.

BraveUlysses posted:

Not 100% sure but I think i had food poisioning last week from some flank steak i got from costco. I think it was in the danger zone in my car for too long before i got home. 2 days in the fridge and then add in the prep time while I trimmed, butterflied it and rolled it up to grill it...perhaps too long in the danger zone?

Either that or i had a 24-36 hour fight against a norovirus.
I don't think so unless you left it in your car like all day or kept in the max danger zone range of 70-135 for too long. It couldn't possibly have been out for ~6 hours could it? Mechanical tenderizing makes me suspect cross contamination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
If I'm going to be moving out in 1 year (and not bringing kitchen utensils with me), does it matter if I get a cheap 8-inch knife? It shouldn't dull that quickly right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Biggest Jerk posted:

If I'm going to be moving out in 1 year (and not bringing kitchen utensils with me), does it matter if I get a cheap 8-inch knife? It shouldn't dull that quickly right?

Why not buy a decent knife and just bring it and only it with you when you move out? It won't take up that much space, and then you won't have to buy another knife.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Or just get a cheap ceramic knife which won't dull in a year AND you can take it with you. Just don't try and cut bone with it.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

The Midniter posted:

Why not buy a decent knife and just bring it and only it with you when you move out? It won't take up that much space, and then you won't have to buy another knife.

I'll be moving from a foreign country so I don't want to pack too much if I can help it. So a cheap ceramic one should be good enough? I honestly want to get at least something on the quality of the victorinox but if it's just a year it doesn't seem worth it.

Also with non-stick pans should I just stick with soft silicon spatulas and ladles? Wood would be too coarse?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really like ceramic knives and think they are far superior for everything you don't use a meat cleaver or a filet knife for. But that's just my opinion, and everyone's got one. If you're comparing them to similarly-priced (cheapish) metal knives for cutting veggies and chicken breasts or whatever, they really are better in every way and stay sharp forever.

You can use anything except metal on non-stick.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 8, 2017

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Any good espresso and cappuccino makers for about $150? If that sounds dumb it's fine I'm basically doing this against my will.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's pretty dumb. Maybe you could find a cheap single broiler used or refurbished, but you'll want to spend at least that much on a grinder.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 10, 2017

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Does anyone know what the differences are between the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro and French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless lines?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Food-borne illnesses are not as common as people make them out to be. That's kinda the reason we're so anal about it in pro kitchens because you gently caress it up once and you're that restaurant that poisons their customers. Not saying you should be lax, but you can have terrible sanitation practices and get by with idiot luck. I mean, you're making fewer meals in a year than a high volume restaurant does in a day. Or, you could follow the rules and still get sick. A big part of something like a HAACP plan is being able to trace the outbreak even if it is no fault of your own. This doesn't really come into play in a home kitchen, however, most people assume the last meal they ate is what got them sick, when usually it is the meal before that so be wary of assuming something is or isn't your doing based on that.

I don't think so unless you left it in your car like all day or kept in the max danger zone range of 70-135 for too long. It couldn't possibly have been out for ~6 hours could it? Mechanical tenderizing makes me suspect cross contamination.

I didn't see any tenderization marks on the meat...I have only occasionally seen that on the meat at Costco. I don't think it was in the danger zone for 90 minutes on the day I bought it and maybe another 60 minutes on the day I cooked it.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

TheMadMilkman posted:

Does anyone know what the differences are between the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro and French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless lines?

MCP is made in China, French Classic is made in France. French Classic models don't have a pouring lip, but the MCP models do.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Opinions on electric smokers? Vs low-and-slow in the oven?

We have a stupid condo rule that prohibits charcoal and propane on our balconies. I haven't grilled or smoked since we moved here. I've had good luck slow cooking items in the oven, though. I'm about to put a 9-pound pork shoulder in the oven at 250 for 10 hours. It'll come out as tender as barbecued pork, but with none of the smoky flavor or crust.

I just discovered that electric smokers exist. I know electric grills are poo poo, but are electric smokers decent?

I'm not looking for comparisons to charcoal or propane smokers. I'm wondering if an electric smoker can produce better results than just cooking slow in the oven.

If this is the wrong thread, please point me to the right one. Thanks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Electric smokers are fine, but I'd check with your condo to make sure they're allowed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bagheera posted:

We have a stupid condo rule that prohibits charcoal and propane on our balconies. I haven't grilled or smoked since we moved here. I've had good luck slow cooking items in the oven, though. I'm about to put a 9-pound pork shoulder in the oven at 250 for 10 hours. It'll come out as tender as barbecued pork, but with none of the smoky flavor or crust.

I just discovered that electric smokers exist. I know electric grills are poo poo, but are electric smokers decent?

I'm not looking for comparisons to charcoal or propane smokers. I'm wondering if an electric smoker can produce better results than just cooking slow in the oven.

My electric smoker is great - but you still give off a ton of smoke and people will not know it is electric and may report you to the board anyway.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
If I were to buy a Baking Steel TM, what's going to be the practical difference between buying the rectangle one versus the circular one?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bartlebee posted:

If I were to buy a Baking Steel TM, what's going to be the practical difference between buying the rectangle one versus the circular one?

Maybe slightly more heat transfer at the corners of the steel than the sides. Otherwise, if the thickness and diameter of the circle are the same as the thickness and the height of the square one, there's no difference but weight.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Bagheera posted:

There's a bbq thread where you can get plenty of detailed info on electric smokers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I agree that you should first check with your building. I love my MES 40" and there are other electric options with different pluses and minuses if you can use one.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

bartlebee posted:

Rectangular is more versatile, especially if you ever plan to use it as a griddle. The circular one will heat up quicker because it has less thermal mass, but that can also be considered a downside depending on the application.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I figured rectangular made more sense. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get the original .25 inch thick Baking Steel, but I also saw this bad boy and kind of wavered. https://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Square-Baking-Kitchen-Barbeque/dp/B00NMLKW6Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It's only .14 inches thick, which I understand is why it's so much less expensive. But one of the reviews touted it's combination of lower price and ease of moving it as a selling point and I thought the crusts looked pretty good. At this point, wouldn't it just be a matter of the thinner one taking longer to rebound to proper heat? That's he only thing I can gather from my research.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

quote:

My electric smoker is great - but you still give off a ton of smoke and people will not know it is electric and may report you to the board anyway.

If they put out a ton of smoke, I'll pass on it just for courtesy to my neighbors.

The backup plan isn't working. I soaked some applewood chips in water and put them in the oven (in an aluminum pan). Then I put a pork shoulder in there at 250. The pork shoulder is cooking up really well, but there's no smoky scent at all. Am I doing something wrong, or is wood chips in the oven a myth?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
ATK has a thing about oven barbecuing with charred lapsang souchong iirc that I've never bothered to do. I do a lot of oven barbecue, and I think once you're pleased with the texture you're getting, the best smoky flavor comes from things like smoked paprika, smoked salt, or just liquid smoke. If you do the latter, make sure you get actual liquid smoke without molasses and vinegar and coloring and poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Biggest Jerk posted:

When I lived in Prague, I used a completely normal knife I bought at some weird housewares store and for me that was fine. The gods of cooking understand if you can't set up your superkitchen right away.

Anyway, I went thrifting and came back with three Calphalon saucepans stamped with "made in Ohio" so I assume they are good. I have a Calphalon Contemporary saucepan but it turns out those are made in China and that pissed me right off.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Bagheera posted:

The backup plan isn't working. I soaked some applewood chips in water and put them in the oven (in an aluminum pan). Then I put a pork shoulder in there at 250. The pork shoulder is cooking up really well, but there's no smoky scent at all. Am I doing something wrong, or is wood chips in the oven a myth?

Just go buy some liquid smoke and use that in the basting/braising sauce.

If you're doing the chips right (don't put them in water) you'll be getting a lot of smoke generation in your oven (which vents to the kitchen) and then sitting off your fire alarm in the process.

And it'll be a pain to stop the smoke generation, so expect to continually set off the alarm for an hour or so after you go "oh poo poo" and try to stop the smoke pouch.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I think to actually smoke something it's difficult to get around producing a lot of actual smoke

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

unknown posted:

liquid smoke

FYI, a little bit goes a long way with this stuff. Add in small doses and mix well before tasting.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Or use smoked paprika or chipotle powder, that can also work and it's not as easy to overdo it.

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
Has anyone used the masticating juicer attachment for the kitchenaid stand mixer? I want to get a good juicer but they're expensive as hell. The attachment is less than $100 on Amazon and it looks like the same technology. I'm chalking up the mediocre user reviews to user error as far as using a juicer goes.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

the littlest prince posted:

I'm thinking about making some homemade churros, but I'd need to get some piping bags/tips. The product recommendation thread looks dead and I can't find its replacement if one exists. Amazon seems to have a ton of HIGH QUALITY RUSSIAN tips that I'm pretty sure would never get used. Williams Sonoma has a set that looks alright and I have a bunch of gift credit for that place.

I don't really know what's good for bags/tips though. What should I be looking for?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

a silicone bag seems good, though i feel like it's overkill if you're just going to make churros, as you can fashion a pastry bag out of a ziploc and whichever tip you like.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just buy disposable bags but zip locks work pretty well too. Tips and what not are pretty cheap at craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Churro mix is kinda thick I wouldn't try it on a zip lock.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Well since it sounds like tips don't vary all that much I checked a thrift store and found a bag of 31 tips for two bucks. I'll try it with a ziploc and if it doesn't go well I guess I'll spring for a silicone bag.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I couldn't manage to get the mix through the tip but I don't think it was the bag's fault. The mix was really thick. Instead I just made little finger sized strips, and they came out pretty well I think. Not as light as I'm used to, but I think it came out roughly the way it was supposed to.

Not sure how you could make the right shape without special hardware.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

I couldn't manage to get the mix through the tip but I don't think it was the bag's fault. The mix was really thick. Instead I just made little finger sized strips, and they came out pretty well I think. Not as light as I'm used to, but I think it came out roughly the way it was supposed to.

From what I understand, piping takes a lot of practice, my dude. Don't feel bad. You can try spraying the inside of the bag with Pam before putting the batter in, which might help it slide out a bit more easily.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone give me a good summary of a food processor Vs. a blender? I mean I get the general gist but there must be some cross over.

I don't have a huge amount of space and also don't want to spend a fortune so I thought a blender might work better. I made pesto by hand last week which went ok but was pretty inefficient.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Get a food processor and stick blender.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

The classic churro shape is piped out of an open star tip directly into your hot oil. An Ateco #827-829 would be the right size for those.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone give me a good summary of a food processor Vs. a blender? I mean I get the general gist but there must be some cross over.

I don't have a huge amount of space and also don't want to spend a fortune so I thought a blender might work better. I made pesto by hand last week which went ok but was pretty inefficient.

Food processors are better for chopping up lots of stuff, better for sticky ingredients like meat, they can also kneed dough a bit, though a mixer is much better for that. Blenders are great for wet ingredients, making smoothies, sauces, that sort of thing. One thing to keep in mind is that a decent food processor is not terribly expensive but a good blender that won't burn its motor out quickly, can handle stuff like ice in a smoothie and that can evenly blend thicker mixtures is going to be very expensive and fairly large. In general I feel that a food processor is much more versatile than a blender but a blender does some things that nothing else really can, like the aforementioned smoothies and milk shakes.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

for day to day cooking and ingredient prep, and even one offs like making dough, we use the processor way, way more

might be different for you though, e.g., if you make a lot of smoothies

if i had to choose I'd unquestionably get the processor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm actually pretty surprised that you guys are responding this way. I don't use a food processor for anything except pie dough and use a VitaPrep for everything else.