Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

straight up brolic posted:

now the freedarko dude is acting like Kyrie is being oppressed

https://twitter.com/freedarko/status/833045940369977344

So every flat out dumb opinion is a conservative worldview now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Strawberry Panda posted:

So every flat out dumb opinion is a conservative worldview now?
He wrote like 10 tweets about it and it's one of the dumbest arguments I've ever read. Really hope the post-modern project dies soon. People are doing way too much.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Stagger_Lee posted:

It's been depressing watching the Pacers get a little worse every year, and I think it's clear that Larry's past his prime in basketball operations. The Pacers best recent years involved getting significant value out of both Lance Stephenson and Roy Hibbert, though, which kind of seems insane at this point.

Paul George has been having his worst year, injured one aside, since his first couple, but I wouldn't want to see him go. I especially would want to see him playing for the loving Celtics.

It's going to take some fantastic use of that 1st round pick, with a great free agency, and probably 2 series wins to keep PG around.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

now the freedarko dude is acting like Kyrie is being oppressed

https://twitter.com/freedarko/status/833045940369977344

https://twitter.com/freedarko/status/833049430152482816

He's grasping at anything

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Artists are always crazy people

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Everyone "agreeing" with him are just loving around.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I thought Kyrie's anti dinosaur stance would have drawn the most "I'm acting like I'm smart" support from dumb players

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

He wrote like 10 tweets about it and it's one of the dumbest arguments I've ever read. Really hope the post-modern project dies soon. People are doing way too much.

I know he doesn't really mean it this way and is just doing the too-clever-by-half Free Darko analysis thing (and kind of bungling a legit point about the link between conspiratorial thinking and feelings of powerlessness among individuals and communities) but I wonder if he realizes how bad it sounds to position Kyrie Irving being a huge dumbass as the product of a cultural gap.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dutchy posted:

I know he doesn't really mean it this way and is just doing the too-clever-by-half Free Darko analysis thing (and kind of bungling a legit point about the link between conspiratorial thinking and feelings of powerlessness among individuals and communities) but I wonder if he realizes how bad it sounds to position Kyrie Irving being a huge dumbass as the product of a cultural gap.

He's backtracking on Twitter now and regretting taking this whole thing seriously. He must have gotten super roasted.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Athanatos posted:

It's going to take some fantastic use of that 1st round pick, with a great free agency, and probably 2 series wins to keep PG around.

How about the insane amount of money the Pacers can now offer with the supermax?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Nathaniel Friedman has been a crazy rear end in a top hat for a while. He's like the living manifestation of every negative thought anyone has ever had about smug, condescending thinkpiece writers.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kyrie Irving grew up in a solidly middle class suburb of Newark, he wasn't Oliver Twist. They teach you about the globe and gravity in school.

He just saw a flat earth instagram post and watched a youtube and thought, "Yeah, yeah, that seems true"

Jota posted:

There is no way that trade was real

Ric Bucher is wrong a lot, it's an entertaining idea, though. We don't need Demarcus Cousins. He'll take too many touches away from Bismack

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 18, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ric Bucher is hilariously butthurt over Sacramento fans and blogs

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Kyrie Irving grew up in a solidly middle class suburb of Newark, he wasn't Oliver Twist. They teach you about the globe and gravity in school.

He just saw a flat earth instagram post and watched a youtube and thought, "Yeah, yeah, that seems true"

Right, Friedman's trying to stretch the cultural context of various conspiracy theories to include "retards with broadband"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/status/833061222031454209

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This tweet chain is wild

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/kennyducey/status/833036391470743552

resisting the urge to @ them

oh my god-
https://twitter.com/money23green/status/9847231073

de curry GOAT fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 18, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What's the benefit the Round Earth Cabal gets out of hiding the flat truth from us?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Posted this last page :colbert:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Ric Bucher's reporting is worse than his terrible hair

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Posted this last page :colbert:

well people can read this again...poo poo is serious

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
KD and Westbrook are never ever ever getting back together

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/833010397053587456

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

It's trendy to be dumb as a brick? We're living in amazing times.

It's always trendy to want to sound like you know something that other people don't. It's why conspiracy theories have always found an audience - it gives the people who choose to believe in them a sense of smugness that they "get it" while other people don't. Normally, if you want to get a sense of intellectual superiority over other people, you should strive to educate yourself over many years, try to actually understand how things work, read alot, think alot, things like that. Y'know, earn your knowledge and smugness. Once you've done that to the best of your abilities, you need to make sure you spend most of your time around people who haven't put as much effort into acquiring knowledge and you get to be the "smart one" in your group alot. This is what most of us do.

Conspiracy theories like flat-earth, anti-vaxxers etc are an attempt to cheat that process. It's "believed" and propagated by people who want to be the smart one in their group, but know that they aren't actually all that knowledgeable about things, so they make up or attach themselves to some theory with a few big words and try to fake it. They use all manner of circular reasoning, and love using some variety of the phrase "Like, how do you know [insert obvious fact here] is true and not a lie?"; a variation on the old "I'm just asking questions". Most other people just nod and smile at them and let them get away with it, because most people don't really care all that much about it. Arguing with them about it is counter-productive, because you're playing their game for them - they get to have a public debate about an absolutely stupid idea and (to themselves at least) sound like an intelligent knowledgeable person, and the person they're arguing with leaves the conversation with a sense of bewilderment and a sick feeling about the future of humanity. Don't worry about it when it inevitably happens to you (as goons, each of you have had or will have multiple "debates" like this with someone), it doesn't mean anything, they aren't convincing the general public about their ideas (most people are generally smarter than you think), so if you just let it go they'll eventually drop the "theory" because it's built on a foundation of sand and can only stay alive if it's actively opposing another, more reasonable theory.

This is why you don't want to go down this rabbit hole. Predictions on what Aaron Gordon is going to do to win the dunk contest is much more interesting - based on last years contest, I think there's a fairly good chance that he violates at least a couple of the laws physics on his way to 4 50's.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Aaron Gordan has a bone bruise on his foot. Frankly, I'm amazed he even came out to the dunk contest because that is a really bad injury

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
keven durant would make an intimidating mage

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Tae posted:

Aaron Gordan has a bone bruise on his foot. Frankly, I'm amazed he even came out to the dunk contest because that is a really bad injury

it's kind of all he has at this point so good on the young man.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The NBA is a great league.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tae posted:

Aaron Gordan. Every time.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
He's doing it on purpose.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao

Who's gonna be the first NBA player to admit to believing in lizard people

"guys the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead because the Lizard people wanted it that way! wake up sheeple!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Hand Row posted:

How about the insane amount of money the Pacers can now offer with the supermax?

He's made so many comments over the years about chemistry and finding the right people, I just assume he'd rather bail and find a nice happy fit then be rich(er) as gently caress and have the Pacers waste him.

Jota posted:

KD and Westbrook are never ever ever getting back together

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/833010397053587456

Going to be the best thing when they are on the floor at the same time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

xbilkis posted:

What's the benefit the Round Earth Cabal gets out of hiding the flat truth from us?

A RL friend I blocked for going crazy about this poo poo believed the conspiracy was part of Satan's attempts to steer people away from the Bible.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
On the one hand Kyrie thinking the Earth is flat is loving hilarious

On the other hand more and more people believing stupid poo poo without evidence is loving terrifying

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Personally I can't wait for June

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
wrong thread

jerk1000 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 19, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Saw AK47 at Peche Seafood Grill at lunch today. He still looks like he's 12. Lol

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/833111265979490304

👀

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Adun posted:

On the one hand Kyrie thinking the Earth is flat is loving hilarious

On the other hand more and more people believing stupid poo poo without evidence is loving terrifying

Matt Taibbi and I'm sure plenty of other people have a heuristic that goes the more corrupt a country is poltically, the more the news media ignores the real issues, the more people are likely to turn to conspiracies to explain why poo poo is so hosed up. In Pakistan you can't turn a corner without running into a new conspiracy theory

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ahahahhahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Duke is trash though

• Locked thread