Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Welcome to the club, we seriously were not lying about how good it is.

*fingers in ears* Lalalala, PIXEL 2, can't hear you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh don't worry, I'm getting the Pixel 2 too, I'm drunk on phones irl

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

HTC devices are really good these days, but dammit if they didn't fall into the exact same trap they got themselves into in what, 2010-12? They seem to completely ignore the Internal Elevate group (and have the problem of making it feel more like an echo chamber for 1/2 of the group while the other half screams "Stop doing stupid poo poo we told you doesn't work and listen to us!" but to no avail.

The Desire phones are great, but they do have way too many of them and the good ones they don't even sell in the US while the super cheap ones they should be selling overseas, they sell in the US? (WTF?!)

The U has got to be some HTC Exec's relatives child's dreamphone and can be the only reason that got pushed through in a time when everyone else has done it and you can see the reviews of how people don't really like it. (2nd screen is ok (I like it, but LG..), AI OS stuff maybe, but glass phone with no headphone port? What is this a fusion of iPhone 5 and 7 for some stupid reason?)

They had their niche. Kickstands and Stereo Front Facing Speakers. If they don't want the HTC11 to bomb like the 10 and everything else in the last 5 years. Freaking build a phone people actually want that nobody else is making for God sake.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In my mind, you either do the yearly upgrade and sell cycle or hang on to the phone for 30-36 months.

In between doesn't make much sense from a money standpoint as the phones start to drop off in value significantly after 18-20 months. So, any money you saved by not upgrading earlier is eaten by depreciation.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Is buying the newest Moto G still a good go-to for budget (<£200) phones?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I love my Moto G4 but I think there's a new one coming out soon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yes but as noted above the G5 is due in about a month.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Yes but as noted above the G5 is due in about a month.

Yes, and because of this you'll see fire sales on the G4 models. So if you want last year's phone at cut rate prices the G4 is not a bad deal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

:same:

At this point I've accepted the fate of phones to be something I budget $850 a year for to avoid getting hit with the next horrible security flaw. I mean I could just throw $300 at the fine offerings of the citizens of Shenzhen every six months when the batteries croak but security patches would be ehhhh non-existent.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

:same:

At this point I've accepted the fate of phones to be something I budget $850 a year for to avoid getting hit with the next horrible security flaw. I mean I could just throw $300 at the fine offerings of the citizens of Shenzhen every six months when the batteries croak but security patches would be ehhhh non-existent.

Same, I budget for it and it's totally worth it for me, my phone is my primary computer in a lot of ways. Can't wait for the Pixel 2!!! Maybe Google will have learned their lessons about stock and supply this time.... :lol:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, I budget for it and it's totally worth it for me, my phone is my primary computer in a lot of ways. Can't wait for the Pixel 2!!! Maybe Google will have learned their lessons about stock and supply this time.... :lol:

Yeah, I ordered within the hour of release on launch day and even though I only wanted the 32GB silver XL I was half expecting it to be backordered until December. I ended up getting it in late October but good god Google, you have what's probably the most capable aggregate data/predictive analysis systems in history and you couldn't see the hype for this coming?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been doing the same, but I'm also a little wary (and weary) of the fact that I've just accepted that I need to spend $50-$100 per month on top of my cell phone bill.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't really see the argument for replacing a phone once a year. Nexus/Pixel phones are still getting updates 2 years later. As much as I'd love a Pixel, my Nexus 5x is still chugging along just fine. I mean, I'm waiting for the boot loop of doom, but otherwise it's working great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like having the latest and fastest and greatest. Doesn't mean the phone I have is broken or impossible to keep using, I just like getting a new phone.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I would still be using my 6P if the battery hadn't crapped out and Google/Huawei didn't dick me around with the warranty. I'm sure the 5x is still a great phone.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like having the latest and fastest and greatest. Doesn't mean the phone I have is broken or impossible to keep using, I just like getting a new phone.

Have you heard about how much RAM the one plus one has?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

XIII posted:

Fixed. At least in my experience

Not for me (or reading XDA anyone else apparently).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't really see the argument for replacing a phone once a year. Nexus/Pixel phones are still getting updates 2 years later. As much as I'd love a Pixel, my Nexus 5x is still chugging along just fine. I mean, I'm waiting for the boot loop of doom, but otherwise it's working great.

Nah, there's not really any solid argument for replacing a phone that often other than its just nice to get a new phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Have you heard about how much RAM the one plus one has?

I don't think you've been reading my posts or know me at all, if you respond like that. I'm pretty vehemently anti OnePlus.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Y'all. I'm thinking about purchasing a Samsung-made Android capable device.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I got both my wife and myself on the x-mas VZW promo payment plan, and once it's paid off at least 50% I can get something else. It helps when she wants the new iPhone and if the Pixel 2 is as awesome as the OG Pixel I will jump on it without regret.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think you've been reading my posts or know me at all, if you respond like that. I'm pretty vehemently anti OnePlus.

:thejoke:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oops.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

:negative:
Glad it just sat around two days at Google instead of being shipped. I'm gonna grab a SIM card adapter and use my LG G3 for the time being.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
If they actually listen to the feedback and do front facing speakers for the Pixel 2 I'll consider it. That was one of my 2 issues with it.

Having trouble with the sound on my Nexus 6. Music will be playing and the volume kind of randomly varies. It'll be fine and then it'll be low. Then it'll come back and then get low again. Seems to be a fairly common problem but I don't see a fix for it.

Please don't say get a pixel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

After getting an iPhone 7+, I've cooled my jets. I'm locked into the ecosystem with a watch, iPad and Macbook Pro. It's kind of refreshing sitting here and watching the device of the month and the corresponding swooning, only to just go "huh, neat" and not want to buy it (yes I realize I'm a consumerist idiot).

Tim saved me money, true story.

:stare:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

If they actually listen to the feedback and do front facing speakers for the Pixel 2 I'll consider it. That was one of my 2 issues with it.

Me too. It's very far from a dealbreaker of course, but I'd probably be more willing to jump for the price if it had a couple little things like this. I'm not obsessed with new phones though, I like my 5X and I'll keep it until it either breaks or the pixel 2 comes out.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That's what is keeping me from jumping to Pixel from 6P. For one the main lure of the Pixel is the Performane improvement and the faster camera with unlimited upload, but almost all the other features I have on my 6P.

Now if the Pixel 2 has Front Facing speakers and improves on everything else from this gen (with the 835, lets hope it's not another 810 due to the ARM/Kyro combo) then that should be a sure buy for the 128G+ XL.

Mainly being on Sprint, it will be either that, the HTC 11 (unless HTC releases a wet fart instead) or the LG V30 but lol LG. (Though the V20 does look very nice hardware wise, but their software.... yuck.)

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I think they should do bezel-less next. That kind of wow factor is right up Apples alley and I'd like Google to beat them to the punch. IMO there are a lot of cool yet unpolished things like bezel-less and VR that could be perfected by Google with their next phone. They should do with those things what Apple did for smartphones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

More carrier chat than Android chat but it definitely concerns Fi so I thought it should be noted: SoftBank is looking to divest itself from Sprint by merging with T-Mobile. The article goes into detail but for those who don't keep up with carriers the tl;dr is that Sprint is an absolute dumpster fire and always has been. It's broke, has poo poo frequencies, and has fallen behind a resurgent T-Mobile to become the fourth place carrier. Unlike last time where Deutsche Telekom was wanting to just leave the US market and get rid of T-Mobile, now the tables are turned and T-Mobile is profitable and with April's "small carrier" spectrum auction likely to be a really good position to solidify its position (it should be noted that the auction was specifically created to help make Sprint and T-Mobile more competitive but Sprint has withdrawn because they don't have any money).

Obviously we won't know anything until after April but given the situation and Trump's FCC things are going to be really different in a year or so for Sprint & T-Mobile customers, and thus by extension, Fi customers.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well that sucks. Now that Sprint really has gotten immensely better than they had been for years. Sure their phone selection sucks, but still.

At least it does come at a time when "Unlimited" plans have finally made a return and the actual Competition is sort of pushing out the whole messed with data crap finally.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Smeed posted:

I think they should do bezel-less next. That kind of wow factor is right up Apples alley and I'd like Google to beat them to the punch. IMO there are a lot of cool yet unpolished things like bezel-less and VR that could be perfected by Google with their next phone. They should do with those things what Apple did for smartphones.

I'm hoping the Pixel 2 doesn't play it safe with just upgraded internals and an identical chassis. It needs to be IP68 with a brighter screen and a 64GB option, smaller bezels and ideally a bigger battery. I understand the battery life is pretty good but a higher capacity battery would be nice.

I hope they keep the unlimited full resolution photo and video cloud storage.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hotsauce posted:

After getting an iPhone 7+, I've cooled my jets. I'm locked into the ecosystem with a watch, iPad and Macbook Pro. It's kind of refreshing sitting here and watching the device of the month and the corresponding swooning, only to just go "huh, neat" and not want to buy it (yes I realize I'm a consumerist idiot).

Tim saved me money, true story.

:stare:

I do miss my 6S+ sometimes and it kept me in Apple land for a good 6 months, but the Pixel is unlike any other Android phone I've used. It is the iPhone of Android phones. Everything just works.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
How does the Pixel's unlimited Google Photos backup work, anyway? Is it just for material uploaded through the phone app, or is there a flag placed on your Google account?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spincube posted:

How does the Pixel's unlimited Google Photos backup work, anyway? Is it just for material uploaded through the phone app, or is there a flag placed on your Google account?

Account probably since it's the cloud.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It's through the phone only.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody have luck with getting their Pixel earlier than what Google quoted? Just realized I'll be away on business during the time frame :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm gonna have a Pixel 2 by the time some of you get a Pixel 1 :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Anybody have luck with getting their Pixel earlier than what Google quoted? Just realized I'll be away on business during the time frame :(

Oh yeah, mine came like three weeks earlier than they said initially.