Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

fool_of_sound posted:

---Slime is cool and interesting, but I think the difficulty is a bit too focused on the Acid Blobs. Acid Blobs genuinely make me more nervous than Tier 1 demons, which is a bit odd, and the only other normal slime enemies I really worried about were Shining Eyes. Do you think you could add back the diggable walls after killing the Royal Slime? Racing the monsters for the loot sucks.
Slime's don't eat loot anymore (unless you're following Jiyva.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

Slime's don't eat loot anymore (unless you're following Jiyva.)

Oh cool. I ran around as quickly as I could, stressing out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The sad thing about Tomb is the changes to it haven't really made it more dangerous, just more annoying. I really don't see how it could ever be fun without a complete overhaul. The only reasonable way to do it for most builds revolves around tons of stairdancing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My last post-game character actually died to a tomb. Well, he more realistically died from the lack of rMut, and degeneration put him in a negative feedback spiral where he'd get tormented, stat drained, have to fight guys to get rid of the negative stats, then get tormented again... I do not approve of that particular poo poo sandwich of malmut, lack of rMut, changes to degen, and lack of potions of restoration. Grumble.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

World Famous W posted:

The other way to deal with Tomb 3 is Lignification, Immolation, and some sort of reliable heal. Then just muscle on through.

Lignification at any point after the first rune is a death trap.

Lig is useful in the early dungeon for pain immunity (take that grinder) poison resistance, extra health and AC when your character sucks. After that point the resistances become less useful, the full armour melding ends up making you more vulnerable to damage, and the complete lack of movement or translocations is a huge liability.

I'm definitely not upset that thread advice lead to Gloorx ruining my awesome melee deep elf thanks to lignification.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/bitcoinbastard/morgue-bitcoinbastard-20170218-084457.txt posted:

0 | D:1 | bitcoinbastard the Naga Warper began the quest for the Orb.
0 | D:1 | Reached XP level 1. HP: 19/19 MP: 3/3
40 | D:1 | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
43 | D:1 | Reached skill level 1 in Armour
58 | D:1 | Succumbed to a kobold's poison

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darox posted:

I'm definitely not upset that thread advice lead to Gloorx ruining my awesome melee deep elf thanks to lignification.

I fell for the "lig totally neuters Gloorx!" meme once. That's how I found out that tree form is not immune to miasma clouds. Which incidentally makes lig form a horrid idea for Tomb since Ushabti do nothing but barf miasma at you.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 18, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
rTorment makes Lig one of the things I hoard for extended. Unless there are a poo poo ton of damnation throwing asses I tend to tree up when I get surrounded by tormentors.

Truth be told, I also mainly play ogres and tengus so losing armour slots don't bug me as bad.

Of course, if they would just bring back the Crown of Eternal Torment...

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 18, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Instead of Lig bring nets when fighting the pan/hell lords. Ancient inscrutable evil is incredibly weak to some ropes tied together.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Lignification is great for Tomb if you're high-damage output. Totally possible to become a tree and spam Firestorm with Veh or Sif until each level is cleared.

Shatter helps too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can't teleport while lignified. That's worth keeping in mind..

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yeah, a spare potion of cancellation (sorry Kraken) is good to keep if that is your strategy.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
To be fair, if you don't think far enough and realize that being unable to run or even maneuver when facing one of the games most dangerous enemies is an incredibly bad thing then you probably deserve to die.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

fool_of_sound posted:

My first successful 15 runer. After I got an absolutely insane run of benemut plus torment resistance I couldn't help but give it a shot.

---Slime is cool and interesting, but I think the difficulty is a bit too focused on the Acid Blobs. Acid Blobs genuinely make me more nervous than Tier 1 demons, which is a bit odd, and the only other normal slime enemies I really worried about were Shining Eyes. Do you think you could add back the diggable walls after killing the Royal Slime? Racing the monsters for the loot sucks.
Congratulations on the win! Hopefully you finished the exercise mentally unharmed :)

On Slime: I suggested, and I'll keep suggesting, that the slime rune makes you immune to acidic walls. It's a thematic, localised (only affects one branch) effect. It never got much traction, and it's not really urgent, but I will mention it from time to time.

fool_of_sound posted:

---Tomb was the least fun part of extended, even with negative resist 3 and 50% torment resist. Tomb 2 and 3 are basically just long, tedious exercises in stair dancing followed by (for me) an Immolation scroll bomb. The enemies are interesting and fine overall, but I feel like the layout needs a redesign to make the engaging it fun at all. Having to deal with death curses doesn't help, and just punctuates the stair dancing with frequent rests.

---Hell was actually pretty high-pressure and fun, though hell effects need a rework. Contamination on random proc is dumb, the stat damage/rot effects were mildly frustrating, and damage procs were uninteresting and largely nonthreatening. Overall, I fell that hell effects should have more emphasis on pressuring players in moments of safety, or taking situations that are under control and adding wild elements to them. Seeing a couple of new tier 1/2 demons pop up during a fight was tense and fun.

In more general terms, I'd like to see:
---Less reliance on Torment in extended. Almost all dangerous extended enemies use it, and tools exist to allow them to make use of other threats. MR or elemental resistance stripping, for instance, followed up with Confusion or Petrification.

---I really don't like Malmutation just in concept, but if it's going to stick around, take it off Neqoxec please. They're way too common to have a way of permanently mangling your character. Give them the temporary mutation power that the demonspawn corruptors have instead.
Quite reasonable. I wondered how Tomb would feel if the stairs were locked in some form. Never dared to air this idea but it might the whole thing actually more fun.

I am absolutely fine with wrecking characters through malmutations, and also with crippling mutations, but I agree that nexoqecs need a close look.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dpeg posted:

On Slime: I suggested, and I'll keep suggesting, that the slime rune makes you immune to acidic walls. It's a thematic, localised (only affects one branch) effect. It never got much traction, and it's not really urgent, but I will mention it from time to time.
Quite reasonable. I wondered how Tomb would feel if the stairs were locked in some form. Never dared to air this idea but it might the whole thing actually more fun.

I think Slime would be more interesting if Acid Blobs were made a bit less dangerous, and the other slimes and eyeballs were buffed. As for tomb, I think locking the stairs would just make it an absolute crapshoot unless it were redesigned to be less of a giant fight as soon as you enter.

dpeg posted:

I am absolutely fine with wrecking characters through malmutations, and also with crippling mutations, but I agree that nexoqecs need a close look.

I mean, that's fine I guess. I just know I would never actually attempt extended unless I happened to luck into Mutation Resistance or got a ton of Remove Mutation potions. Maybe the mutation potion changes in the trunk would make me reconsider. I haven't played with them yet.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I hate how much stair-dancing is involved in beating Tomb, but Tomb is set up so that you basically have to do it unless you're insanely overpowered. I'd be fine with stairs locking behind you if, at the same time, enemy density or at least high-profile enemy density was decreased somehow.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah if the stairs locked and no other changes were made to Tomb I would never go near it again.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tomb is way too hard to beat without stair dancing. It's an interesting idea, but you'd need to remove death curses and halve the number of enemies. Probably remove summoning from the spell lists, too.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I have beat tomb 3 a few times now without stair dancing (or at least only with stair dancing on the last 20% or so) using Potions of Lignification. All those characters were either TSO, Qaz'al, or Vehumet Worshipers though and only one of them was before the changes to Wands.

Edit: And thinking back, I think one of those was with Necromutation. Still before Heal Wounds Wand removal

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 18, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I beat tomb by turning into a tree and hitting things with a axe when they approached.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Warning: Only do this if you're lumber JACKED.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
FR: treeform has a beckoning-esque ability to pull you into melee range with magical tree branches

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
FR: You get haste and might if a Spriggan Druid casts Awaken Forest while you are in treeform

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just found this randart -- Shield of the Sewer,: -Cast +Inv rPois Slay-3 and was pretty sad it wasn't a fixedart with a manhole cover sprite, with -Cast because it's really hard to carry because it's a manhole cover not a real shield.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

I just found this randart -- Shield of the Sewer,: -Cast +Inv rPois Slay-3 and was pretty sad it wasn't a fixedart with a manhole cover sprite, with -Cast because it's really hard to carry because it's a manhole cover not a real shield.

I'd approve of this.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Maybe we need good randarts like that one to spread to other games, similar to ghosts.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

This will fit well with the ninja turtle race I'm developing.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
I thought it's obvious but I should better have said it: when I speak of locking Tomb staircases, I am aware that followup changes are necessary, such as thinning the monster sets. Anyway, this is just a random thought to make Tomb less obnoxious (even if more deadly) by the guy who already brought the runelock to you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The new noise meter makes me miss lava orcs. Those dudes were cool as hell.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I miss Djinn :(

I see why they had to go, but by those criteria Gargoyles and Vine Stalkers should be out too, they really are outsize in power

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I see why they had to go, but by those criteria Gargoyles and Vine Stalkers should be out too, they really are outsize in power

That doesn't logically follow. Gr/VS can be nerfed if necessary (it isn't necessary), Djinni had fundamental design flaws.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tomb should be a pretty easy walk to the rune and then when you pick it up endless hordes of mummies spawn and chase you out

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Tomb should be a pretty easy walk to the rune and then when you pick it up endless hordes of mummies spawn and chase you out

Devs do this.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Devs do this.

Yes, and make it a labyrinth.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
On one hand, Tomb being an ancient unchanging branch with no variations has some serious meta flavor. On the other hand, turning tomb into a one-way journey with the rational that you're being locked in there for all eternity is both amazingly fluff-y, and fits quite strongly with the post-endgame pseudo-theme of one-way endurance runs. Do it, dpeg!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Djinn were cut because combining MP and HP meant you could do ridiculously broken things to the game, especially when you start mixing Elyvilon into the mix.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Just lost my second character in a row to a Lich casting LCS and getting big damage. :(

I'm really enjoying the new mutation system after playing through a few games.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Thalamas posted:

Just lost my second character in a row to a Lich casting LCS and getting big damage. :(

I'm really enjoying the new mutation system after playing through a few games.

Silence Lichs and Ancient Lichs and laugh as all they can do is touch you for measly damage.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Lichs and Ancient Lichs are one of the enemies, like orbs of fire, that you need to have a plan to deal with when go into areas where you can encounter them. If you aren't strong enough go elsewhere and become strong enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Hit the lich with your +9 holy weapon imo.

• Locked thread