Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Up to Rank 12.2 now with 25 games, 18 wins. As long as you're not brain dead in a BB you can carry pretty hard until this point at least. Its a bit trickier to drag teams over the line in Cruisers and i don't have any t7 destroyers.

Note that you won't be able to carry as well past 10 in a BB, you'll want the Belfast with fully kitted out commander for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Anyone picked up a Mutsu yet?

I have one. And I can't decide what to say of it right now honestly. My win rate is abysmal and I'm mixed on it. The reload is slow enough that staying far back like regular pubbie BBs do is preferable, but I'm having difficulty with leading at those ranges at times. On the other hand, My general damage in the ship has been around 60k win or lose. So at least I'm consistent I suppose?

I had a game earlier where it was obvious the game was going to be a loss anyway, but I'm a t6 battleship in a t8 game to make it worse. Our tirpitz was fuming about me doing nothing other than running after he suicided into the middle of the map. This was after I dunked a bismark who some how forgot to turn on his secondaries and then proceeded to dodge my torps too late. I still killed him with the guns, but it was nice to get that extra little bit in. It was a 60k loss with a dead bismark and 2 torpedo strikes in my ribbon collection for that match. But it is ok, me in my t6 battleship was totally the problem, not everyone else including said t8 battleship raging at me.

Still though, 4 losses and 2 wins is what I have collected so far.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I like my Mutsu so far.

Also, I'm getting really sick of the Nikolai. Every single game I get into with it, I get chased around the map by torpedo bombers and never get to do anything. That's all that happens.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

JuffoWup posted:

I have one. And I can't decide what to say of it right now honestly. My win rate is abysmal and I'm mixed on it. The reload is slow enough that staying far back like regular pubbie BBs do is preferable, but I'm having difficulty with leading at those ranges at times. On the other hand, My general damage in the ship has been around 60k win or lose. So at least I'm consistent I suppose?

I had a game earlier where it was obvious the game was going to be a loss anyway, but I'm a t6 battleship in a t8 game to make it worse. Our tirpitz was fuming about me doing nothing other than running after he suicided into the middle of the map. This was after I dunked a bismark who some how forgot to turn on his secondaries and then proceeded to dodge my torps too late. I still killed him with the guns, but it was nice to get that extra little bit in. It was a 60k loss with a dead bismark and 2 torpedo strikes in my ribbon collection for that match. But it is ok, me in my t6 battleship was totally the problem, not everyone else including said t8 battleship raging at me.

Still though, 4 losses and 2 wins is what I have collected so far.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion, the dispersion is really bad at distance but I do seem to be getting thrown into games where I am the lowest tier. Saying that, you will do damage, you make good bank, 400k for a fighting loss if you run flags and cammo.

I bought it as a Yamato captain trainer, I could not in all honesty say I would buy it if I didn't need this.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

But does it at least explode spectacularly?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Someone else had a much better week than I did... 11 kills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMLKNPTDF6c

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

But does it at least explode spectacularly?

Mine actually did get detonated by a torpedo.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Minenfeld! posted:

I like my Mutsu so far.

Also, I'm getting really sick of the Nikolai. Every single game I get into with it, I get chased around the map by torpedo bombers and never get to do anything. That's all that happens.

Mine always gets set on fire by a wyoming shooting HE the entire game.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Stock Nagato is really good, yo. This is my first game in it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Evil_Greven posted:

Someone else had a much better week than I did... 11 kills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMLKNPTDF6c

Pfft, only 11?

Carry harder.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Blindeye posted:

The 'stock' Nagato is called Mutsu now.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Sperglord Actual posted:

The 'stock' Nagato is called Mutsu now.

Pretty sure the Nagato stock has way better dispersion. At least my shells behaved very well from 8-15km.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Blindeye posted:

Pretty sure the Nagato stock has way better dispersion. At least my shells behaved very well from 8-15km.

You were excellent and that Destroyer on our team was a moron.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

You were excellent and that Destroyer on our team was a moron.

He claimed the Fiji had entered the cap to stop the cap timer. I wasn't close enough to see but I thought he wasn't. Oh well, it worked out fine; shame I missed that 7th kill but the DD got the last bit of damage.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Blindeye posted:

Be glad you can't actually play the stock Nagato any more, because that was a miserable experience.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Got to rank 7. Getting close to the major leagues. Can't seem to win without Belfast and boy does it print high calibers

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

CitizenKain posted:

Anyone picked up a Mutsu yet?

Only a few games in it yet, but if feels terribly squishy for a T6 BB while every other BB at that tier seems to be a lot tankier than you are.

The main guns are good and when they hit, they hurt. Secondaries are useless with 4 km range, but you have 2 torps on each side with about 10k damage each, 7km range and a 20ish seconds reload timer and at least for the moment they are a nasty surprise, til pubs get used to them.

Mutsu is a fun ship in T5-7 and completely falls apart if you get uptiered to 8 or if a CV decides to focus you.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

I just got a Nagato today as well, only game so far I nailed a fleeing Nurnberg with a citadel and a DD at 8km, on hen we lost on points because all our destroyers died stupidly.

Played 2 games in the Ishizuchi to train up the captain and on one game I got 2 citadels with HE on a Kirov.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

I just got a Nagato today as well, only game so far I nailed a fleeing Nurnberg with a citadel and a DD at 8km, on hen we lost on points because all our destroyers died stupidly.

Played 2 games in the Ishizuchi to train up the captain and on one game I got 2 citadels with HE on a Kirov.

The kirov was the only ship I ever actually swapped the first module slot from the mod that reduces chances of your turret/torpedo launchers from getting incapped to the reduced chance of mag det module. That thing was a floating tinderbox to me. Reminded me of the old t-44 from WoT if anyone remembers it.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
Seems every weekend shitler is out tonight and they're all in DD

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Oh, they're not all in DDs.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The good news is that they have been on the other team for me. Had a game where I did 93k damage in my schors. And it wasn't until some time into the game that a donskoi showed up which made me check again. There was one tier 9 cruiser per side otherwise it was tier 8s and 7s. Mainly 8s. Anyway, match ends with 93k damage and me having more xp than our ibuki (I was 2nd place, ibuki was 3rd).

That was followed up by a fuso play that ended with me getting kraken just seconds before the end of the game and also getting dreadnought. Final damage in that game was 120k (it was a tier 6 game, but two carriers a side and no DDs). That was a fun match. Also, top xp of course.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
The more I play the Furutaka, the more I kinda love it.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

So I finally got another Supercontainer, and as expected it was one of those lame new upgrades. The engine boost one. I suppose I'll actually use it since im grinding through the Shiratsuyu right now and its slow as hell.

It is removeable/reusable for 25 spacebux just like a regular upgrade right? Would probably be good on the tier 8 one too.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I started up the IJN cruiser line just to do the mission for the Southern Dragon, and to my surprise I quite enjoyed the Furrycaca. Still sold it after I ground through it but it wasn't a bad ship at all.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I would probably rebuy the Furrytaco if Tier 5 MM wasn't hosed.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Opinion time:

British captain currently on the Fiji.

Priority Target
Expert Marksman
Superintendent
Concealment Expert

Have four points to spend. AFT? RPF? Manual AA?

Or something weird like Adrenaline Rush and Jack of All Trades?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Lakedaimon posted:

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Lakedaimon posted:

Opinion time:

British captain currently on the Fiji.

Priority Target
Expert Marksman
Superintendent
Concealment Expert

Have four points to spend. AFT? RPF? Manual AA?

I would probably get PM and AR now, and get AFT later on. If CV were more prevalent, that would be my first choice but those 2 will be more useful to you more often right now I believe.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 19, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
https://gfycat.com/BoldGenerousCommabutterfly
I've never seen someone get 0 xp base before while not being AFK, so I felt kinda bad afterwards lol

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Insert name here posted:

https://gfycat.com/BoldGenerousCommabutterfly
I've never seen someone get 0 xp base before while not being AFK, so I felt kinda bad afterwards lol

I bet he was a bit vexed.

Got to level 15 on ranked to get my flag. Played Sharn and Nagato almost exclusively. Sharn is the best fire engine, it can chase down poo poo and spit out damage and basically rescue a bad situation and stop it becoming a defeat. Nagato is the best for pure carry, it will obliterate any cruiser stupid enough to let you aim at it and also will counter those annoying Sharns running around killing your team.

Up to level 15, bring one of these as there are very few CVs, and surprisingly few DDs. This is EU server, so maybe different in Trumpton.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm sure that the North American server is classically at the edges of the map. Nothing to worry about.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The new Engine Boost mod is actually better than anything else in-slot for DDs, assuming you aren't swapping it out, like Defensive Fire on US DDs. You get a really hefty boost to the duration of engine boost, which is really neat and useful. Just be aware, Engine Boost has no effect while your engine is damaged, so don't pop it to "offset" a broken engine. It won't do poo poo. Pop it when you're smoking up to either extend the wall of smoke, or when you're inside to accelerate faster once you see torps or just need to reposition/leave smoke. Russian DDs will likely want that mod the most.

Edit:
To be honest, there are a lot of ships that don't need accuracy mod, such as US DDs. But any mods trying to conflict with the concealment or rudder shift slot better be really drat good, because those are some important modules.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Burt posted:

Up to level 15, bring one of these as there are very few CVs, and surprisingly few DDs. This is EU server, so maybe different in Trumpton.

NA server in the bottom league is almost always 3 BB / 3 CC / 1 DD, sometimes 2/4 or 4/2 on BB/CC, but never more than 1 DD. CVs are rare, but fortunately you never see a Saipan down there either.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Got to rank 6 and I must say that the "damage control party modification" seems one of the most useful mods out there, if not the only. It's not easy to give up the steering modification however.
I don't know, these new special modules don't look like a good deal to me.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
IFHE on the Belfast and Scharnhorst for ranked games ? Yes ? No ?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

On belfast? Yes. Actually, I stopped playing anything that isn't my IFHE belfast in ranked and I'm advancing quite steadily. On scharn I wouldn't shoot HE though, there's nothing heavily armored.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
If you own a Khabarovsk do you gain anything from the branch split ?
I don't suppose they give you a Grozovoy free of charge ?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Hammerstein posted:

IFHE on the Belfast and Scharnhorst for ranked games ? Yes ? No ?

Isn't it supposed to be useless on anything above 155mm?

I have it on my Belfast Captain but there's way more relevant stuff on a Scharn Capt. Fire protection being the one that comes to mind as everything is spamming HE at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Burt posted:

Isn't it supposed to be useless on anything above 155mm?

I have it on my Belfast Captain but there's way more relevant stuff on a Scharn Capt. Fire protection being the one that comes to mind as everything is spamming HE at you.
Yes.

I've yet to do a game below 100k damage in my belfast ever since I respecced it for IFHE. Granted, it's not a good captain trainer since the skills you need on the Belfast aren't useful anywhere else, but don't you get to earn "free" captain XP when your captain hits 19 points?