Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In their latest earnings call they said, if you discount quarters where an expansion launched, this just past fourth quarter had the most subscribers of any in the last four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Catberry posted:

I almost bought the hundred dollar Hellgate London lifetime pass. Was Hellgate London an MMO?

It was a Diablo-style infinite loot grinder in instanced maps, but with hub "towns". Technically, it was an MMO.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I loved hellgate london, I bought it when it was was like $20 bucks. 2 weeks later they announced it was over and they turned off the servers and sold the game to Korea.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I had trouble reconciling the lavish abilities with the actual effect.

I recall playing a soldier class and I could throw a flare which caused an actual airstrike to land on it. Even underground.

But it's still an RPG so the damage it did was somewhat weak. It was many times faster to just shoot the enemies and move on.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I beta tested hellgate and no one listened when we said it sucked

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

AlmightyBob posted:

I beta tested hellgate and no one listened when we said it sucked

Having taken part in both from an early stage, I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt Flagship did more to fix their game during the test period than Carbine

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So they actually optimized their game to run on AMD hardware?

That doesnt seem particularly brag worthy. Its something any competent developer does.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CoffeeBooze posted:

So they actually optimized their game to run on AMD hardware?

That doesnt seem particularly brag worthy. Its something any competent developer does.

Back in the good old days AMD hardware was better than nvidia/intel so it got done first

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
did anyone beat all the wildstar raids

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I almost did one world raid boss. But the fight lasted for something like half an hour and the boss died while I was a ghost so I didn't get any loot from it. That was the start and the end of my raid career.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Minrad posted:

did anyone beat all the wildstar raids
I think with all the HARDCORE people long since having fled the company, raiding is more accessible.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Last time I saw a Franbunny post on Reddit she claimed she was still raiding four nights a week. Does she count as hardcore?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
More embarrassing, really. Like that alcoholic uncle the family would rather not talk about.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

I think with all the HARDCORE people long since having fled the company, raiding is more accessible.

Raiding's been pretty accessible since F2P. The first raid was puggable to a degree (You needed at least half the raid to be familiar with it) and I managed to drag my guild through most of it with about six people who were competent and 14 who were just damage sponges/dps fodder/at least three of them are going to explode on the next dodge or die mechanic.

Like one out of three of my full time healers was a complete idiot, one out of two of my full time tanks was completely retarded, and about half of my DPS depending on who showed up that night were the folks I specifically ignored when tasking people out to do certain mechanics (i.e. they'd die if tasked to do anything more than dodge poo poo/do rotation). The only reason we quit playing and stopped raiding is because the bipolar guildmasters wife/competent main tank went off her meds (Literally) and started causing drama with every other girl in the guild because she was no longer the prettiest in her mind (Or something). Thanks to her I lost a husband and wife team (Subtract one smart dps and one smart healer), and my other smart healer.

If I was the guildmaster I would have just kicked the bipolar tank and started looking for another tank, but alas I was just the raid leader and she was kinda married to the guild leader EDIT: And eventually we lost her when I told her off. By this point everyone kinda equated playing the game with a bipolar crazy chick and we all went to do other things (Some of them together!)

MMO's really attract some loving broken people though.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 21, 2017

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

Raiding's been pretty accessible since F2P. The first raid was puggable to a degree (You needed at least half the raid to be familiar with it) and I managed to drag my guild through most of it with about six people who were competent and 14 who were just damage sponges/dps fodder/at least three of them are going to explode on the next dodge or die mechanic.

Like one out of three of my full time healers was a complete idiot, one out of two of my full time tanks was completely retarded, and about half of my DPS depending on who showed up that night were the folks I specifically ignored when tasking people out to do certain mechanics (i.e. they'd die if tasked to do anything more than dodge poo poo/do rotation). The only reason we quit playing and stopped raiding is because the bipolar guildmasters wife/competent main tank went off her meds (Literally) and started causing drama with every other girl in the guild because she was no longer the prettiest in her mind (Or something). Thanks to her I lost a husband and wife team (Subtract one smart dps and one smart healer), and my other smart healer.

If I was the guildmaster I would have just kicked the bipolar tank and started looking for another tank, but alas I was just the raid leader and she was kinda married to the guild leader EDIT: And eventually we lost her when I told her off. By this point everyone kinda equated playing the game with a bipolar crazy chick and we all went to do other things (Some of them together!)

:ironicat:

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Quoth the pot - I'm pretty sure anyone who plays an MMO is broken in some way, though. I know people who have quit MMOs and have moved onto more predatory gaming interests (mobile gaming...) because they scratch the same sort of itch.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I play mainly MMOs because I get to play my character at my own pace whenever I want, but at the same time I'm also able to play that same character with my friends at any time (level sync is the best multiplayer rpg mechanic invented), and despite some of my friends playing way less than others, we get to play together anyway.

Also, some of the fights can be pretty fun too, I guess.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Truga posted:

I play mainly MMOs because I get to play my character at my own pace whenever I want, but at the same time I'm also able to play that same character with my friends at any time (level sync is the best multiplayer rpg mechanic invented), and despite some of my friends playing way less than others, we get to play together anyway.

Also, some of the fights can be pretty fun too, I guess.

IMO WoW's flex raiding was the best mechanic. I could dip out on days I just didn't feel it and it probably wouldn't hurt the raid.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah flex is also something that should exist in every game. It's not as important to me as level sync, because my schedule prevents me from forming a static for serious raiding, but it's a really good idea that should just be there always.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

CoffeeBooze posted:

Last time I saw a Franbunny post on Reddit she claimed she was still raiding four nights a week. Does she count as hardcore?

Somehow she ended up in the guild I was in when I played. I have a screencap of a wall of text from guild chat with her talking about some pretty weird poo poo. I'll have to find it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Crumpet posted:

Quoth the pot - I'm pretty sure anyone who plays an MMO is broken in some way, though. I know people who have quit MMOs and have moved onto more predatory gaming interests (mobile gaming...) because they scratch the same sort of itch.

I started playing Lord of the Rings Online recently because I finally got around to playing Shadows of Mordor, and all I've been doing is siting in one of the starting zones, planting onions and then selling them.

I'm the Onion King.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

desudrive posted:

Somehow she ended up in the guild I was in when I played. I have a screencap of a wall of text from guild chat with her talking about some pretty weird poo poo. I'll have to find it.

All she did when I played was spew poo poo into trade/whatever chat was available for her nonsense. You quickly learn to turn everything off but guild chat and use them as a cypher for when world bosses are going on or whatever.

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015

John Dyne posted:

I started playing Lord of the Rings Online recently because I finally got around to playing Shadows of Mordor, and all I've been doing is siting in one of the starting zones, planting onions and then selling them.

I'm the Onion King.

lmao

:worship:

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
I haven't touched this game since beta. Is it worth trying or should I just go mow the lawn instead?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Why would you ask such a question? The thread is just going to yell at you and hit you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper :(

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
I heard this game has artifact weapons and mythic+ now? Game saved??

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
There are some mentally ill goons still playing archage but none playing wildstar. Says a lot really.

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Why would you ask such a question? The thread is just going to yell at you and hit you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper :(

I guess my yard will be pleased.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sockmafia posted:

I guess my yard will be pleased.

I mean it's a dead game.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Consider this: with the shuttering of Everquest Next/Landmark, there aren't really anymore AAA MMOs on the horizon. Just some grindy Asian games and kickstarter MMOs which might as well mean "doomed to fail." After another high-profile failure, and publishers have finally gotten the hint that maybe MMOs aren't easy money.

Wildstar didn't just die; it took the whole genre with it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I mentioned the idea ages ago yeah, if not in this thread then in the prior one. By all appearances Wildstar was basically the last shot for big-budget AAA MMOs, and its failure was definitely a big warning sign for the genre. To be fair a lot of it isn't Wildstar's fault directly... it was apparent years ago that WoW's spectacular success was a one-time thing that couldn't really be repeated, but several companies tried and budgeted with the expectation that they would somehow be getting 5+ million subscriptions with games that were basically "WOW but worse". The subscription model itself was limiting too, since most people will really only pay for two or three games at the most, while you can bleed the whales dry and nickel and dime casual players with an F2P scheme. And then there's the matter of MMOs just being costly things to make and run, and if you're not going to get millions of subscribers, why not just spend a hundredth as much on a lovely mobile game and make just as much money...?

Honestly there's probably still room for a new subscription-based MMO but I just can't see one being made. The only way it would succeed would be something like FFXIV 2.0, where it's an effort headed by lunatics who refuse to give up and who fundamentally understand the genre and actively try to tap into new markets (consoles) and do things the main competition doesn't. The number of companies capable of doing this successfully is... vanishingly small, and as we've seen with companies like EA the conservative investment and development culture is usually unable to understand the fact that their attempt needs a reason for people to drop their current games and play it instead. Wildstar had a surprisingly good chance, especially if they focused on casual aspects and housing and character customization and such... but instead the lead devs were grognards obsessed with the dying hardcore raiding market that WoW already had on lockdown.

Oh well, nothing lasts forever and most MMOs were poo poo anyway. :toot:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Actually, I recall GW2 devs saying that the subscription fee was a total scam these days, as technology has made it cheaper to maintain something like an MMO. However, the $15/mo fee sticks around because it's an accepted part of MMOs and publishers aren't about to leave money on the table. While their game may have not set the MMO world on fire like so many others, they have managed to stick around with just a cash shop. Meanwhile, Blizzard has a monthly fee AND a cash shop, but I could go on about how much they gouge customers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This is true. It costs blizzard 6 cents per year now IIRC, to store a character and pay for the bandwidth and cpu cycles an average player uses.

The odd one out here is eve online with its 5000 player battles actually profiting off of hilariously expensive equipment.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Scam or not, I'll still take a $15 flat subscription fee over gatcha-style gamble boxes like all the F2P MMOs (and mobile games, and shooters, and...) do these days. At least subs aren't actively exploiting a vulnerable segment of the population.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Whales gonna whale, might as well have em pay for my new content patches :v:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I get more than $15 worth of entertainment a month out of WoW.

A single player FPS game could easily be $60 and I'll be lucky if I can squeeze 20 hours out of one of those these days.

But then the amount of money WoW brings in also gives the developers leverage against the serious business types who decide on the budget for the next installment or expansion.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asimo posted:

I mentioned the idea ages ago yeah, if not in this thread then in the prior one. By all appearances Wildstar was basically the last shot for big-budget AAA MMOs, and its failure was definitely a big warning sign for the genre. To be fair a lot of it isn't Wildstar's fault directly... it was apparent years ago that WoW's spectacular success was a one-time thing that couldn't really be repeated, but several companies tried and budgeted with the expectation that they would somehow be getting 5+ million subscriptions with games that were basically "WOW but worse". The subscription model itself was limiting too, since most people will really only pay for two or three games at the most, while you can bleed the whales dry and nickel and dime casual players with an F2P scheme. And then there's the matter of MMOs just being costly things to make and run, and if you're not going to get millions of subscribers, why not just spend a hundredth as much on a lovely mobile game and make just as much money...?

Honestly there's probably still room for a new subscription-based MMO but I just can't see one being made. The only way it would succeed would be something like FFXIV 2.0, where it's an effort headed by lunatics who refuse to give up and who fundamentally understand the genre and actively try to tap into new markets (consoles) and do things the main competition doesn't. The number of companies capable of doing this successfully is... vanishingly small, and as we've seen with companies like EA the conservative investment and development culture is usually unable to understand the fact that their attempt needs a reason for people to drop their current games and play it instead. Wildstar had a surprisingly good chance, especially if they focused on casual aspects and housing and character customization and such... but instead the lead devs were grognards obsessed with the dying hardcore raiding market that WoW already had on lockdown.

Oh well, nothing lasts forever and most MMOs were poo poo anyway. :toot:

Where did SWTOR and FFXIV (ARR I guess, not 1.0) peak for sub count? I think a big franchise is the only good bet for a WoW competitor. I mean, even WoW was based on a preexisting very popular series of games.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Weirdly enough I think WoW has been a victim of its own success when it comes to innovating. The game is so incredibly successful that it seems like the designers arent willing to do anything particularly different or new for fear that it could be a disaster that damages the games profitability. No one wants to be the guy who kills the goose that keeps on laying golden eggs. From a business standpoint this is just fine, the game has been obscenely profitable and will continue to be for a long while to come, from a consumer's standpoint though its kind of a bummer since the game just feels stagnant for a lot of people.

And of course since every AAA MMO has been chasing after WoW like subscriber numbers they all fail to do anything new or different too.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It might cost pennies for bandwidth and storage per month, but does $40 cover an expansion and two years worth of content, and salaries for all supporting staff making that bandwidth and storage relevant?

Serious question, I'm not sure how the economics work in this scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Where did SWTOR and FFXIV (ARR I guess, not 1.0) peak for sub count? I think a big franchise is the only good bet for a WoW competitor. I mean, even WoW was based on a preexisting very popular series of games.
I'm pretty sure FFXIV ARR broke 2 million subs a few years back, but I'm not sure where they're at now. It doesn't feel like it's dropped any though and It's definitely the largest traditional subscription MMO after WOW these days.

Not sure on TOR... it's kind of a weird case since it still has a subscription plan option despite going F2P, and the F2P itself is almost more of an extended free trial. The F2P transition definitely resulted in a big influx of people though, and I think it peaked at around 1.5 million subscribers, but the recent expansion was kind of a flop and I think it's been steadily declining over the past few months.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It might cost pennies for bandwidth and storage per month, but does $40 cover an expansion and two years worth of content, and salaries for all supporting staff making that bandwidth and storage relevant?

Serious question, I'm not sure how the economics work in this scenario.
Yeah this is a big cost factor too. Healthy AAA MMOs need a large and constantly active staff.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 23, 2017

• Locked thread