Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You don't really need a blunt syringe either. I got a bulk pack on Amazon with normal sharp tips because they were super cheap and as long as it can suck up ink and shoot it into a cartridge then you are good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Everyone should own at least one TWSBI. They're so user-friendly and -serviceable that they're nice to have even if you only want to take them apart. The piston mechanism is nice and smooth (and if yours is anything less than buttery, lube it up) and the overall feeling, even of the Eco, is of a very well built inexpensive pen. The 580 definitely has more of a premium feeling, as it's made of better plastic and it's easy to tell. I still wouldn't call it premium, though. Hey, whatever happened to the 850?

Does anyone here have experience with the Wing Sung 698? It's an original Chinese design, a piston filler for $20. I really like the piston knob's locking mechanism. They use old Pilot tooling to make the nib, which I hear is pretty alright - but there are only a few reviews out there.

I have one of the original 698s without the locking piston and it's lasted longer than any of the TWSBIs I've owned. The nib and feed are compatible with Pilot Super Quality nibs and of comparable quality as well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think Bad Belted Kingfisher might be my favorite work-appropriate blue. It soaks into cheap paper like nothing else but works just fine for 90% of what I use it for.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I got a 200 pack of blastic bulb pipettes, just like you'd use in chemistry class, and I use those. Don't have to worry about cleaning out all the ink.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I've been trying to diagnose a problem I have with a couple of pens.

One is a Vac 700. After filling it writes great for a while. Then it dries up as if the pen is empty but there is a ton of ink left. If I force some ink into the feed then it will write again for a while but the problem comes back. It has a medium nib.

The other is a Lamy 2000 bold that never really wrote well - I was going to return it but I got lazy and didn't and am now stuck with it. If I press down like I am writing with an all point it will write but otherwise it skips and is a total pain. I love the nib and the line I get but it writes like crap. Similarly to the Vac it will write better for a while if I force out some ink into the feed but then the problem comes back again after a while.

Is this an air flow issue or something else? Any ideas how I could fix either of them?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The vac 700, you are leaving the plunger slightly unscrewed when you write with it correct?

The Lamy sounds like maybe a badly tuned nib.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

rio posted:

I've been trying to diagnose a problem I have with a couple of pens.

One is a Vac 700. After filling it writes great for a while. Then it dries up as if the pen is empty but there is a ton of ink left. If I force some ink into the feed then it will write again for a while but the problem comes back. It has a medium nib.

The other is a Lamy 2000 bold that never really wrote well - I was going to return it but I got lazy and didn't and am now stuck with it. If I press down like I am writing with an all point it will write but otherwise it skips and is a total pain. I love the nib and the line I get but it writes like crap. Similarly to the Vac it will write better for a while if I force out some ink into the feed but then the problem comes back again after a while.

Is this an air flow issue or something else? Any ideas how I could fix either of them?

On the Vac 700, are you unscrewing the back slightly to open the seal and allow ink to flow from the chamber to the section and feed? If not, you're essentially writing with one feed's worth of ink at a time. The fix is to unscrew the back a little bit. The new Vac 700R doesn't require as much unscrewing to flow, which is, as far as I know, the main improvement.

e:f;b

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Your Lamy needs the tines spread slightly.

If you have piston unsealed on your Vac while you write you should disassemble the pen and give the feed a thorough cleaning.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I always unscrewed the plunger on the Vac 700 more than "slightly" -- until it was freely spinning, really. With it open like that, it wrote for pages. There's also a way you can take one of the O rings out of the pen to make that unnecessary, as long as you don't care about the pen being air-tight for plane travel.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh wow, I just didn't know how to use it then - I didn't know that it had to be unscrewed slightly - I will try that thanks?

How does one go about spreading the tines properly? I used a razor blade once to do that on a cheap pen and it worked, but since this is a nicer pen I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You have to unscrew the back on pens like the Pilot Custom 823 and the Vac 700. With the back unscrewed, ink can flow from the tank to the feed; otherwise the tank is sealed off. This is what makes proper vacuum plunger fillers so safe on planes - since the tank is sealed off from the feed/nib the air pressure in the tank remains constant and you don't get the burping and leaking that a normal fountain pen might experience.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Well that was an easy fix. It writes wonderfully. With the back unscrewed, can ink come out of the back or is it still tight enough that I don't have to worry about spills?

Also I tried using a loupe and razor blade on the Lamy 2000 and it writes much much better. Not 100% perfect but 95% is close enough for me - what an awesome pen. I have a medium 2000 too and if this keeps writing how it does now then I will be using the bold more. It is sooo smooth and actually a thicker bold line than other bold pens I have - really a pleasure.

Thanks so much for the advice - that is 2 for 2!

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:hfive:

E: to add content, we just moved from MD to SC and I think my beloved kaweco lilliput was left behind. I'm legitimately pretty upset. I don't have the money for another yet so I'm using a slightly larger rotring.

Looking on the positive side, I finally have a reason to upgrade to the supra! :dance:

best bale fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 19, 2017

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

rio posted:

Well that was an easy fix. It writes wonderfully. With the back unscrewed, can ink come out of the back or is it still tight enough that I don't have to worry about spills?

The back is still sealed.

Think about it this way - when you fill the pen you have to pull the plunger out the back, right? Wasn't the metal pole of the plunger basically in the ink tank a moment ago? That's right - it's being pulled through a bunch of silicon rings that are keeping the back sealed and the metal pole clean as it comes out.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Well I think I finally found a use for one of my notebooks. Well, another use apart from testing pens and inks in them....

We have just bought a incredible whole half of a Wagyu beef 100% pure breed. I think it was 470 ish pounds on the carcass and 230 ish done butchering. Came out at 40CAD/kl which is a ridiculous price for what this is.

Anyways, since this ton of delicious is packaged in hundreds of steaks in different cuts, roasts and everything else I want to be able to keep track of what I like the most and what I would like cut thicker next time or whatever observation I have. Also note cooking methods, temps, taste notes. The owner of the farm gave me a binder with information and sheets for feedback. Given that it was a important purchase and since he knows we can be long time clients (my gf was born in money and I have a private catering business) so producers have a interest in having a good and lasting relation with us.

So yeah simple just use a notebook! Done! Wait.. Which notebook... Then it hit me! My Atelier Musubi notebook that is hopefully on the way would be perfect! A artisan made notebook from the same country as the origin of my beef. A iconic design for a iconic beef.

What I still haven't figured out is how to organise it. I might start in another notebook and when I am satisfied with my system I transcript it to the good notebook and go from there.

Does anyone have any system that would suit what I want to do? Or is the bullet journal versatile enough?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Iznogood posted:

Well I think I finally found a use for one of my notebooks. Well, another use apart from testing pens and inks in them....

We have just bought a incredible whole half of a Wagyu beef 100% pure breed. I think it was 470 ish pounds on the carcass and 230 ish done butchering. Came out at 40CAD/kl which is a ridiculous price for what this is.

Anyways, since this ton of delicious is packaged in hundreds of steaks in different cuts, roasts and everything else I want to be able to keep track of what I like the most and what I would like cut thicker next time or whatever observation I have. Also note cooking methods, temps, taste notes. The owner of the farm gave me a binder with information and sheets for feedback. Given that it was a important purchase and since he knows we can be long time clients (my gf was born in money and I have a private catering business) so producers have a interest in having a good and lasting relation with us.

So yeah simple just use a notebook! Done! Wait.. Which notebook... Then it hit me! My Atelier Musubi notebook that is hopefully on the way would be perfect! A artisan made notebook from the same country as the origin of my beef. A iconic design for a iconic beef.

What I still haven't figured out is how to organise it. I might start in another notebook and when I am satisfied with my system I transcript it to the good notebook and go from there.

Does anyone have any system that would suit what I want to do? Or is the bullet journal versatile enough?

I would just mark the first few pages as table of contents/index and go ham on whatever page, just number the pages or whatever.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Iznogood posted:

I hate you so much. This is like my ideal summer vacation right there (that is, having a cabin or something with a grill, a smoker, etc, and dozens of pounds of meat).

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I have to say, people have been using our diaries for various things (recording a life diary for their children, love letters to their partner) but this is the first I've heard anyone talking about using it to write love letters to beef.

Your diary is already on its way to you, and I really, really hope you fill it with notes about meat.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

I have to say, people have been using our diaries for various things (recording a life diary for their children, love letters to their partner) but this is the first I've heard anyone talking about using it to write love letters to beef.

Your diary is already on its way to you, and I really, really hope you fill it with notes about meat.

I will!
Need to chose the right pen and ink and get my notebook.
The Beef is already here!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You'll post photos of your hot beef log, right? I would love to see your hot beef log laid out for all of us.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Heath posted:

You'll post photos of your hot beef log, right? I would love to see your hot beef log laid out for all of us.

Hope so! Looking for the perfect ink/pen for this endeavour. Having never owned tomoe river paper I'll have to try a bunch of things I guess. Might order something cheap and small with the same paper just for that.

The obvious color is some very dark red/brown of course. Or probably a combo of a very fresh blood red and the dark one to have some contrast. I do not own any like that so I'll probably end up ordering a bunch of samplers from wonderpens. Might turn out it's to obvious/boring/hard on the eyes and then I have no idea. Black always works but I don't like black that much. I have some lamy/parker blacks and noodler's the raven forevermore and I'm not in love.

You know, when I am done recording the cooking and eating of 232 pounds of meat I'll be set to publish a primer on the beast ha ha. If I keep at it and don't just give up like I am likely to do.

I posted a thread about this at the fountain pen network and linked Musubi I hope it's ok.

edit: just realised you were probably sarcastic. Hope not but whatever! I'm happy!

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 20, 2017

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I know it's not quite the right animal, but recommending Diamine Oxblood for this endeavor is irresistible.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

atholbrose posted:

I know it's not quite the right animal, but recommending Diamine Oxblood for this endeavor is irresistible.

Yeah and as far as the selection goes it looks like the only choice at wonderpens. I'm looking at noodler's red black but yeah oxblood. I don't know at all about that part. Seems morbid for no reasons. I'll have to order a sample and see how it turns out. And holy poo poo is TOmoe river paper out of stock at wonderpens. Is this paper rare?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Oxen and cows are the same animal.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Sagebrush posted:

Oxen and cows are the same animal.

Well, shoot. You're absolutely right, and I am a bit embarassed.

Oxblood is perfect, then.

I don't know if Tomoe River is rare, but it is popular, and not many people make pads or notebooks out of it. I've got a Hobonichi planner, which has it, but that's the only way I regularly use it. It's pretty great in that application, at least.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Squeeze out some blood from your meat and write with that. Make every part of that dead animal be part of the process. You'll need an anticoagulant. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120125005539AA735cd

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

atholbrose posted:

I don't know if Tomoe River is rare, but it is popular, and not many people make pads or notebooks out of it. I've got a Hobonichi planner, which has it, but that's the only way I regularly use it. It's pretty great in that application, at least.

It's not really rare. The problems are, however, manifold:
1) if you want to get the paper direct from Sakae Technical, the minimum order quantity is pretty obscene;
2) very, very few paper processing facilities can deal with its thinness and tendency to crinkle.

For our handsewn diaries we have to have the paper specially laid out and cut in a professional facility in Japan, and when handsewing the signatures into a block our artisans have to go so slowly that it adds up to an hour to the production of each diary purely to make sure the pages are sewn in evenly. It's just a really, really troublesome paper to work with, and for your average consumer who doesn't care that much about paper, it's total overkill.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

For my first TWSBI should I get an Eco or a 580? I only have Lamys, which I love, but I'm looking to expand my pen horizons.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Minenfeld! posted:

For my first TWSBI should I get an Eco or a 580? I only have Lamys, which I love, but I'm looking to expand my pen horizons.

The Eco is basically the same pen, but the nib isn't as easily swappable and it's a little harder to clean. The plastic is also a little cheaper. If the extra $20 isn't a big deal, you're getting a little bit nicer of a pen with the 580, but the Eco will give you the TWSBI experience.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The Eco is a nice pen.

The 580 is a nice pen that people will say, "nice pen" for.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I like the eco because its tiny

vkeios
May 7, 2007

The eco is actually the biggest pen I own

still a good pen though I hate posting the cap.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

It's not really rare. The problems are, however, manifold:
1) if you want to get the paper direct from Sakae Technical, the minimum order quantity is pretty obscene;
2) very, very few paper processing facilities can deal with its thinness and tendency to crinkle.

For our handsewn diaries we have to have the paper specially laid out and cut in a professional facility in Japan, and when handsewing the signatures into a block our artisans have to go so slowly that it adds up to an hour to the production of each diary purely to make sure the pages are sewn in evenly. It's just a really, really troublesome paper to work with, and for your average consumer who doesn't care that much about paper, it's total overkill.

Mine looks to be on a plane for Canada! Everytime you post about your notebooks I want mine this much more. I am dying to get my hands on it. And am pretty much set on getting a couple more soon for gifts.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I don't do meat but you guys are going to loving LOVE my upcoming tofu journal

edit: Hey what's the blandest ink in the world?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 21, 2017

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some kind of carbon black or blue?

Maybe get one of the golds or ancient copper and dilute the hell out of it?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
pacific blue?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Quink Black

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

Quink Black

This. This is the blandest, most uninteresting ink in the world.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My guess was going to be Pilot blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
:lol: Quink Black was the first ink I ever bought. It, combined with a generic composition notebook, are really gonna make my tofu journal shine.

P.S. Last night I lost my mind and ordered a 580 and a bottle of Oxblood; at what point do I need to see a professional for pen madness?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 22, 2017