Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Stymie posted:

you're so close, just keep going and you'll recognize the truth

that utilitarianism demands full extinction of all life and it is the only logical choice?

idg what yor driving at styyme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what to heck is a "top 10 executive"? from my linked spam:

quote:

I hope you're well. I just got off the phone with the COO from my top client, one of the fastest growing companies in the consumer tech space, as he looks to make a key hire in his FW team. He recently joined and was previously a top-10 executive at Microsoft. The company is very well backed, have already brought multiple products to market and just launched the first generation of their flagship product which has received a massive amount of great press. Their valuation will also be jumping 4x from $250M to $1B within the next 6-8 months.
im 50/50 this is the bitcoin or weed related

The Management posted:

thanks for all of the gooney advice. there are a lot of details that I didn't mention that factor into this. I would rather stay married than have the money, that's an easy decision for me. I'm just trying to work out if there's any way to make both happen that doesn't kill me with travel. it's unlikely. oh well, some figgies can't be got.
when I moved to SF my (now wife) stayed up in sacramento. i went back every weekend and even that was rough, only a 2 hour drive each way, only for a couple months. that was just a liiiittle too much to suck it up and commute each day, and it still sucked.

im assuming you would've had flights involved?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JawnV6 posted:

when I moved to SF my (now wife) stayed up in sacramento. i went back every weekend and even that was rough, only a 2 hour drive each way, only for a couple months. that was just a liiiittle too much to suck it up and commute each day, and it still sucked.

im assuming you would've had flights involved?

short flights but yeah. I've done it before, I used to fly every week. it's not terrible when you do it enough times not to notice it anymore, and that was before we had iPads. I'm trying for 3 days there, 2 days from home (4 in a row with weekend). we'll see how they like that (they won't).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

we'll see how they like that (they won't).

maybe they like u more ;-*

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Just got a post interview email from the head honcho saying that I was rejected for the job (they hired a real programmer instead) but they really liked me and felt I had a lot in common with what the lab and what they are doing so asked me to keep in touch to 'explore other possibilities' in a some sort of follow up interview, so I guess :unsmith:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JawnV6 posted:

what to heck is a "top 10 executive"? from my linked spam:

SELECT TOP 10 * FROM Employees ORDER BY Compensation DESC

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Munkeymon posted:

SELECT TOP 10 * FROM Employees ORDER BY Compensation DESC

Syntax error try again:

SELECT * FROM employees ORDER BY compensation DESC LIMIT 10

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Syntax error try again:

it was a microsoft exec tho

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I got this email today

I'm very confused.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bhodi posted:

can you describe the difference between an inner and outer join? because a "senior DBA" we interviewed couldn't

people wayyyy overestimate the IT baseline competency

that was one of the questions I could answer! :toot:

they asked me about encapsulation and I started explaining serialization instead :doh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

that was one of the questions I could answer! :toot:

they asked me about encapsulation and I started explaining serialization instead :doh:

<Post>poo poo<post>

Vs

shitshitshit

Iverron
May 13, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

I got this email today

I'm very confused.

I did some work for these guys once. Wasn't a fan.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Iverron posted:

I did some work for these guys once. Wasn't a fan.

i'm not a doctor or nurse and i've never worked anywhere near medtech so getting this was very much a :confused:

especially since it doesn't have an obvious "hey come work for us" and just a "uh we have a job fair this day" and was an entirely cold contact. i've never heard of this place before today.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Syntax error try again:

lol

rt4 posted:

it was a microsoft exec tho

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

My advice that every single Business / Financial Analyst we hire should be competent with SQL has gone unheeded.

They sure do pay me a lot to tell computers other people how to do their jobs. And build pretty dashboards for them. And then sit down and explain every aspect of the (annotated) dashboards to them. And then do their jobs.

:eng99:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Oneiros posted:

My advice that every single Business / Financial Analyst we hire should be competent with SQL has gone unheeded.

They sure do pay me a lot to tell computers other people how to do their jobs. And build pretty dashboards for them. And then sit down and explain every aspect of the (annotated) dashboards to them. And then do their jobs.

:eng99:

at least they aren't doing your job but with spreadsheets because that way lies madness and madness is good for sales :shepicide:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

at least they aren't doing your job but with spreadsheets because that way lies madness and madness is good for sales :shepicide:

oh, there are spreadsheets. there are spreadsheets that i've not been allowed to automate because because sales has to have their finger in every pie have input in every decision. we have a special, gargantuan Windows EC2 instance for excel spreadsheets.

:smithicide:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember in my old job when some business people would call their spreadsheets "applications"

at my current job some people just call them "databases" so I guess thats a step up

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

reminder that oracle doesn't have a built in way to get the top x rows of a query because gently caress you that's why

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

St Evan Echoes posted:

reminder that oracle doesn't have a built in way to get the top x rows of a query because gently caress you that's why

this would be way too convenient for users. that's not really their thing.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

WHERE ROWNUM < X

???

Iverron
May 13, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

i'm not a doctor or nurse and i've never worked anywhere near medtech so getting this was very much a :confused:

especially since it doesn't have an obvious "hey come work for us" and just a "uh we have a job fair this day" and was an entirely cold contact. i've never heard of this place before today.

They have a lot of devs iirc. Poorly worded / targeted? Who knows.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

WHERE ROWNUM < X

???
doesnt have the effect you think it would

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's been a long time since I dealt with oracle. I think there's a way to do it with rowid but it is not straightforward

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there's a certain class of interviewer whose questions are all variations of how you would turn this problem into a hash table or tree. they are usually dumb recent college grads who think they are being clever. once you recognize this (they tend to travel in packs so if you see one you're in for a long day) then it's pretty easy to spot their tricks. basically just think hashes and trees and see how the problem was constructed to get you there.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
whats the latest youve ever gotten contacted about a resume drop on monster or wherever

its been about six months since my last profile update and the calls ive been getting have become increasingly desperate and unrelated to skillset

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

never ever put your phone number on job sites or resumes you post on them

have a separate resume with your phone number for personal network stuff

gently caress getting cold-called by illiterate recruiters

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

dragon enthusiast posted:

whats the latest youve ever gotten contacted about a resume drop on monster or wherever

its been about six months since my last profile update and the calls ive been getting have become increasingly desperate and unrelated to skillset

about 10 years and counting

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

something like five years

careerbuilder doesn't use double-opt-in nor it is aware that periods are not significant in gmail addresses so some mail clerk out in DC registered with my email address

when I logged in to yell at them about it it apparently bumped my resume back to "active" and I immediately got a dozen calls

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

all recruiters are garbage fyi

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
someone contacted me with one of my college-era resumes and asked me to update the resume they had on file, and I said sure and immediately forgot. like a month later he emailed me asking about it and I forgot again and now it's been too long for me to do anything or care

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I think it's been a couple years since I've had spam from my college-era resume on monster but it's always obvious because it has no relation to anything I'm interested in just college degree == qualified

sad thing is that'd be an ~8 year old resume at the time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

all recruiters are garbage fyi

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

greetings of the day! i found your resume on job portal, find the details:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

triple sulk posted:

greetings of the day! i found your resume on job portal, find the details:

Hello! I see you have the great experience with low-level Linux kernel C programming, here is a job that requires 10 years of Microsoft visual C++ experience, is located in the deep south, is a 6-month contract, and no possibility of working remote remote. please kindly get back to me for when we can set up an interview.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

Hello! I see you have the great experience with low-level Linux kernel C programming, here is a job that requires 10 years of Microsoft visual C++ experience, is located in the deep south, is a 6-month contract, and no possibility of working remote remote. please kindly get back to me for when we can set up an interview.

I never considered this before but is this an h1b strategy? Make the offers so horrendous that no one in their right mind even applies so they can just shrug their shoulders all 'WELP GUESS THERE'S NO ONE AVAILABLE!!'

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Rex-Goliath posted:

I never considered this before but is this an h1b strategy? Make the offers so horrendous that no one in their right mind even applies so they can just shrug their shoulders all 'WELP GUESS THERE'S NO ONE AVAILABLE!!'
I would be 100% ok with H1B reform that got rid of this weird incentive.

Just make H1B rights an auction market and you can get rid of all the rules about "trying to find Americans first". As a nice side effect, pay goes up too.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

isn't driving down wages the entire point of h1bs?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

isn't driving down wages the entire point of h1bs?

not adjusting the minimum salary to inflation is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

it looks like the strategy some departments/divisions use when they already have somebody picked out for a position but HR makes them put out an actual posting, do interviews, etc so they're in compliance with whatever internal hiring process, so they just tailor the requirements to exclude everyone but the person or category they already have in mind. so yeah that's probably it.

• Locked thread