Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The closest Marvel analogue is the Shadowline universe. It was more or less Marvel does WoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So what I'm reading is that the only real superpowers that Hunters have, before they get in to weird conspiracies, is the actual determination to do something about the world. Which kind of fits in with the whole thing of the WoD in a nutshell. Neat.

Brainiac Five posted:

Red Harvest, Yojimbo, and A Fistful of Dollars are about a man coming to a bad place, experiencing a bit of the violence involved there, and deciding to annihilate everyone involved, leaving only a handful of named characters alive.

Are they horror?

Well in Sanjuro it ends with Yojimbo basically calling what he does horrible and shouting at the would-be samurai trying to copy him to go do something actually productive with their lives so...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Setting aside that Ennis Punisher, which Brainiac Five implicitly referring to, post-dates Hunter by several years:

Hunter is inspired by grim spree killers who often as not are protected by genre convention as they are by explicit supernatural power. Punisher is a good example of both ways of looking at this, because at different times he has been both characters. He's also an illustration of how fiction can simply assign implicit genre protection to characters to allow them to stay on the same plane as explicitly fantastic peers while fighting fantastic enemies - and how little the genre changes when you cross over from implicit genre protection to being an angel or Frankenstein or whatever.

There's no real reason to try to make that implicit genre protection explicitly supernatural, although it doesn't much matter in a practical way if it is or not.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 19, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

citybeatnik posted:

So what I'm reading is that the only real superpowers that Hunters have, before they get in to weird conspiracies, is the actual determination to do something about the world. Which kind of fits in with the whole thing of the WoD in a nutshell. Neat.

Well in Sanjuro it ends with Yojimbo basically calling what he does horrible and shouting at the would-be samurai trying to copy him to go do something actually productive with their lives so...

Sure, what differentiates them is that the Continental Op/30-year-old Mulberry Field/The Man With No Name are acting justly within the context of their works, it's from their perspective, etc.

Cease to Hope posted:

Setting aside that Ennis Punisher, which Brainiac Five implicitly referring to, post-dates Hunter by a lot:

Hunter is inspired by grim spree killers who often as not are protected by genre convention as they are by explicit supernatural power. Punisher is a good example of both ways of looking at this because at different times he has been both characters. He's also an illustration of how fiction can simply assign implicit genre protection to characters to allow them to stay on the same plane as explicitly fantastic peers while fighting fantastic enemies - and how little the genre changes when you cross over from implicit genre protection to being an angel or Frankenstein or whatever.

There's no real reason to try to make that implicit genre protection explicitly supernatural, although it doesn't much matter in a practical way if it is or not.

Ennis started writing Punisher in 2000, and The Slavers was published in 2004. Hunter: the Vigil was published in 2008.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Ennis started writing Punisher in 2000, and The Slavers was published in 2004. Hunter: the Vigil was published in 2008.

Huh, that's a few years earlier than I thought. In any event. Hunter: the Reckoning came out in 1999. At the time HtR was being written, Punisher was a literal angel of death. (It wasn't well-received.)

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 19, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

Huh, that's a few years earlier than I thought. In any event. Hunter: the Reckoning came out in 1999.

Hunter: the Reckoning is a very different animal from Vigil, what with it being a game where you get superpowers to fight monsters to hold off the end of the world.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To be really pretentious, Hunters are supernatural in the way Judge Holden or Anton Chigurh or Reverend Harry Powell is supernatural- they're clearly something beyond humanity but there's nothing obviously inhuman about them.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Jesus Christ, why is adding rules and mechanics for being a lot more driven in monster hunting than a normal person supernatural? What other part of hunter is beyond normal human stuff outside stuff like VASCU? How is Joe Scmoe, amateur vampire hunter with a nail gun, supernatural? Heck, does ANYTHING imply hunters are supernatural besides the book not about hunting monsters not including stuff about hunting monsters?

You have essentially been saying a game focused on hunting and killing monsters instead of just investigating stuff having additional rules and mechanics for doing so means they must be supernatural because otherwise the book not about hunting and killing monsters would already have all that. Do I have your argument right?

Edit
OK wait, are you even arguing they are supernatural? They are supernatural in the same way Zangief is, just hardwork.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

xanthan posted:

Jesus Christ, why is adding rules and mechanics for being a lot more driven in monster hunting than a normal person supernatural? What other part of hunter is beyond normal human stuff outside stuff like VASCU? How is Joe Scmoe, amateur vampire hunter with a nail gun, supernatural? Heck, does ANYTHING imply hunters are supernatural besides the book not about hunting monsters not including stuff about hunting monsters?

You have essentially been saying a game focused on hunting and killing monsters instead of just investigating stuff having additional rules and mechanics for doing so means they must be supernatural because otherwise the book not about hunting and killing monsters would already have all that. Do I have your argument right?

Okay. There is a Hunter tactic which allows you to cut out the parts of an Awakened soul that connect to the Realms Supernal through brain surgery. Is this natural? Does the Nimbus reside in the frontal lobe?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Late to the party, but my favored interpretation of Cheiron is that the board is absolutely a bunch of lovecraftian gribblies, but they're actually well intentioned refugees from some other place where something bad went down. However, their decision to start up a company as a cover, because it seemed like a good idea at the time, has kind of gotten away from them. They actually have very little control over the company due to the bureaucratic mess that the company has become. All the really evil poo poo that Cheiron does in 100% normal humans, who have basically usurped control of the company from the Cthulus that supposedly run it.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Okay. There is a Hunter tactic which allows you to cut out the parts of an Awakened soul that connect to the Realms Supernal through brain surgery. Is this natural? Does the Nimbus reside in the frontal lobe?

Depends, can any brain surgeon do it is this like a conspiracy level thing where having access to things that are explicitly supernatural is normal?

To put it shorter, could any brain surgeon do that without having to join any organization?

Edit
You are talking about a tactic specifically about psychics whose power is based in their brain, not ripping magic out.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 19, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Obligatum VII posted:

Late to the party, but my favored interpretation of Cheiron is that the board is absolutely a bunch of lovecraftian gribblies, but they're actually well intentioned refugees from some other place where something bad went down. However, their decision to start up a company as a cover, because it seemed like a good idea at the time, has kind of gotten away from them. They actually have very little control over the company due to the bureaucratic mess that the company has become. All the really evil poo poo that Cheiron does in 100% normal humans, who have basically usurped control of the company from the Cthulus that supposedly run it.

"Weee jusssssst wanted to hellllllppp...."
"where did it go ssssso wrrrrong...."

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

xanthan posted:

Depends, can any brain surgeon do it is this like a conspiracy level thing where having access to things that are explicitly supernatural is normal?

To put it shorter, could any brain surgeon do that without having to join any organization?

Not by the rules, since only Hunters can purchase the Tactic via Practical XP. Now, we could argue that though the text disallows any other character from performing it, that's not what's meant or whatever and any Mage with Life and Mind could permanently destroy another Mage's connection to the Supernal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Obligatum VII posted:

That owns.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

If anything, that's proof that in Hunter-verse, the wizards, witches, and sorcerers Hunters are fighting are not the same as Awakened mages.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The whole purpose of the Lie is to cut off humanity's access to the Supernal. It would make sense that, you know, the physics of the Lie can be used to cut off access to the Supernal.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LatwPIAT posted:

If anything, that's proof that in Hunter-verse, the wizards, witches, and sorcerers Hunters are fighting are not the same as Awakened mages.

Except it works on Awakened Mages, and Awakened Mages are described as witches in the Division Six write-up. It's harder to perform on Mages, but you can still cut the Nimbus right out of a Mage with surgery.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The whole purpose of the Lie is to cut off humanity's access to the Supernal. It would make sense that, you know, the physics of the Lie can be used to cut off access to the Supernal.

So why don't the Exarchs just shut off access to the Supernal altogether if it's so easy to cut people off? Hell, why don't Mages who get hit in the head sometimes lose their magic?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Really out of touch with OPP stuff, but: If I liked the spirit books from Werewolf, Geist and that one Slasher supplement, what are some new cool books I can get?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Not by the rules, since only Hunters can purchase the Tactic via Practical XP. Now, we could argue that though the text disallows any other character from performing it, that's not what's meant or whatever and any Mage with Life and Mind could permanently destroy another Mage's connection to the Supernal.

Looked it up and you at exaggerating the hell out of what they do. They mess up the part of someone's brain that let's them do psychic things or magic. Or is giving someone a brain injuy magic now? You are essentially saying there can not be a chunk of brain related to the ability to use magic or if there is normal people can't touch it.

A side bar even talks about a mage getting their magic back through surgey as a plot hook.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 19, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

So why don't the Exarchs just shut off access to the Supernal altogether if it's so easy to cut people off? Hell, why don't Mages who get hit in the head sometimes lose their magic?

Oracles gummed up the works, human body is remarkably resilient, a program of mass lobotomization of mages would probably ruffle some feathers.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Brainiac Five posted:

So Hunters have more willpower than any normal human being. Okay. So we can describe that as a supernatural power in the same way Batman's ability to fight a dozen people at once is effectively supernatural, or we could insist that it's normal.

All player characters, even the standard nWoD 1.0 blue-book-only PCs, are already mechanically exceptional by mortal standards at chargen. That doesn't mean that there's something inherently supernatural about blue-book mortal characters.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I would much prefer circular magechat to the "is (comic franchise) (genre convention)?" Chat

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That one hunter lobotomy can only make sense in the context of mage if it involves, like, crippling someone's ability to use their imagination to envision things, or to concentrate hard. So, there's no reason you couldn't give a mage a lobotomy that robs them of their magic, but your result wouldn't be a regular person who just can't do magic but rather someone with severe cognitive impairments.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

That one hunter lobotomy can only make sense in the context of mage if it involves, like, crippling someone's ability to use their imagination to envision things, or to concentrate hard. So, there's no reason you couldn't give a mage a lobotomy that robs them of their magic, but your result wouldn't be a regular person who just can't do magic but rather someone with severe cognitive impairments.

So not a Hunter but a Hunter player.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I would assume a frontal lobotomy would make executing wizbiz very difficult without rending you from the supernal entire or whatever overwrought nonsense.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Alright, so I got bored, and spent an hour or two smashing together a rough fix for Beast. It jettisons most of the (atrocious) world building and "no, beasts are the good guys! really! really!" in favor of a more "rebellion against genre and destiny" thing. Many sections and much needs expansion. Obviously a rough draft, but what the hell? Might go back to it, might not. Might turn it into something completely different.

Lemme know what you think

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WcOjQ3mvKTkliYIUISsWdBHYpw2z_JAHpmkAmn-fLJo/edit?usp=sharing

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I would assume a frontal lobotomy would make executing wizbiz very difficult without rending you from the supernal entire or whatever overwrought nonsense.

Yeah, the point is it doesn't scan for there to be a Wizard Gland that someone could just remove, since that runs counter to everything else in every CoD line including Hunter (namely that in CoD, dualism is true and the soul is real). So we're left to conclude that either the wizard lobotomy is more grievous than the book presents, or it's got some kind of magic of its own behind it. Obviously an icepick to the dome will stop someone casting spells just fine.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, the point is it doesn't scan for there to be a Wizard Gland that someone could just remove, since that runs counter to everything else in every CoD line including Hunter (namely that in CoD, dualism is true and the soul is real). So we're left to conclude that either the wizard lobotomy is more grievous than the book presents, or it's got some kind of magic of its own behind it. Obviously an icepick to the dome will stop someone casting spells just fine.

It doesn't really need magic behind it unless I've drastically missed something about Mage. The description notes that it's targeting the areas of the brain that contain the 'reflexive memories' that you use when casting spells and shorting them out, rather than removing the Wizard Gland. The more developed these memories and how widespread they are (Gnosis and Arcanum dots), the harder this is to do without also hitting other memories. It's also worth noting that you can still get those skills back, you just have to redevelop them from scratch rather than relying on your previous experience.

There isn't a Wizard Lobe but there are specific parts of the brain that usually control things like reading, writing, listening to music or playing music. It's not that far out there to say that imposing your will on the world in the way a Mage does activates specific parts of the brain. The surgery burns out the brain's muscle memory (see: reflexive memories) for those actions. It's definitely still slightly crazy but it doesn't need actual magic behind it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

RPZip posted:

It doesn't really need magic behind it unless I've drastically missed something about Mage. The description notes that it's targeting the areas of the brain that contain the 'reflexive memories' that you use when casting spells and shorting them out, rather than removing the Wizard Gland. The more developed these memories and how widespread they are (Gnosis and Arcanum dots), the harder this is to do without also hitting other memories. It's also worth noting that you can still get those skills back, you just have to redevelop them from scratch rather than relying on your previous experience.

There isn't a Wizard Lobe but there are specific parts of the brain that usually control things like reading, writing, listening to music or playing music. It's not that far out there to say that imposing your will on the world in the way a Mage does activates specific parts of the brain. The surgery burns out the brain's muscle memory (see: reflexive memories) for those actions. It's definitely still slightly crazy but it doesn't need actual magic behind it.

You don't cast spells with your brain at all, is the thing, and insofar as you do it's with basically the same part of your brain you use to daydream or something. So like I said, it doesn't have to be magic, but if it isn't magic it's way more invasive and has way deeper side-effects than the Tactic text suggests.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Brainiac Five posted:

Is the movie John Wick horror now too?

Yes, tons of reviews have caught on to the fact that John Wick is effectively the Monster. He's the Boogeyman that the others fear, and the stupid people that whistle past the graveyard going "Please, John Wick is old and worn down, there's no way he can do all the things they say he does" die horrifically.

Brainiac Five posted:

What makes you think they don't? As for the Exarchs, they aren't in charge. They didn't make the world Fall, they don't direct the Lie. They are just some assholes slightly higher up the food chain than a normal Mage, they certainly aren't running things unopposed.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

I believe it. Not because he says so, but because said trans friends have come out and said "I'm trans and friends with Zak Smith" or words to that effect. I don't think those people are lying.

But.

But. Having trans friends does not mean you can't be transphobic.

In fairness, Sarah Horrocks, Zak's collaborator on this project is both a personal friend of his and a trans woman, and has been tweeting about how she thinks the portrayal of trans women in this app is cool and good. Personally, while I respect her insight as a critic, I find her artistic output and cultural commentary just as tiresomely don't-cut-yourself-on-my-EDGE-sheeple as Zak's so I'm not really surprised they have each other's backs on this.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Brainiac Five posted:

It's in a book about witches where not all of the witches are those Awakened to the Supernal Realms, but mostly, I kind of think the most parsimonious solution to the dilemma posed here is that White Wolf development oversight is not always the most circumspect and occasionally a bad or incoherent idea gets through in what is often otherwise a good book? I mean, were you a fan of multiple action Fighting Styles in 1e?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Part of me is definitely glad that even discussing if Hunters are supernatural can't escape the horrible gravity of Magechat.

I like Hunter the Vigil well enough, but I feel like I am the only person who prefers Hunter the Reckoning. I am sure it has to do with playing Reckoning a lot in High school, but I like the idea of regular people that are ultimately ruined utterly trying to save the world. There are many mechanical problems, but the splatbooks did a good job of making the creeds make sense.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Attorney at Funk posted:

You don't cast spells with your brain at all, is the thing, and insofar as you do it's with basically the same part of your brain you use to daydream or something. So like I said, it doesn't have to be magic, but if it isn't magic it's way more invasive and has way deeper side-effects than the Tactic text suggests.

You actually do. Sort of. A mage needs to envision and imagine the form the spell takes, and one of the examples given for a use of Mind with the imperial practices in Imperial Mysteries was stealing imagos. I mean, obviously magic springs from something deeper and more profound than just thinkmeats, but the ability to envision spells is necessary to cast.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
It's not that lobotomising a mage wouldn't stop them from deliberately casting spells - it likely would.

It's that it would also drive them Mad, so you'd end up with uncontrollable magical effects going off around them.

Sometimes, though, a badly-written Tactic is just a badly-written tactic.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Part of me is definitely glad that even discussing if Hunters are supernatural can't escape the horrible gravity of Magechat.

I like Hunter the Vigil well enough, but I feel like I am the only person who prefers Hunter the Reckoning. I am sure it has to do with playing Reckoning a lot in High school, but I like the idea of regular people that are ultimately ruined utterly trying to save the world. There are many mechanical problems, but the splatbooks did a good job of making the creeds make sense.

Honestly I find Vigil to be much better at humans fighting off monsters, seeing as in Reckoning the Hunters are just as supernatural as the things they fight.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Obligatum VII posted:

Honestly, I always read this as the survivors of the OWoD End Times come to the NWoD to try and make sure it doesn't all happen again...

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Trying to 'prove' Hunters are supernatural is like trying to 'prove' that vampires are technically alive: you can make a case for it, but only if you deliberately ignore why Hunters are framed as normal human beings and vampires, despite moving around, needing to eat, and being able to reproduce, are dead.

Vampires are dead, in spite of all that, because that is the constraint of the genre and explicitly written into the setting. Hunters are regular people because that is the constraint of their genre and they are explicitly written as non-supernatural by the standards of the fictional world they inhabit.

If you decide otherwise, you're free to do so, but you're deliberately ignoring the intent and explicit descriptions given to you by the game line. You're not smarter than the people who read the book and decide to accept what it says. You're not stupider either! But you're definitely not extra clever or special.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Clearly the best group is VASCU. They actively are trying to protect humanity and were trench coats in the rain. It's like the X-Files but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hangedman1984 posted:

Honestly I find Vigil to be much better at humans fighting off monsters, seeing as in Reckoning the Hunters are just as supernatural as the things they fight.

Are they, though? Their (very small) power comes from without, from the Messengers. Did they really change in a fundamental way, or can these powers be given and taken away at any moment, not being actually part of their nature?