Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

I just saw an orthodox Jew in the supermarket. Black hat, curly sideburns, that scarf thing, buying a whole bunch of cereal.
Whoa. I saw one in the supermarket near my house last week, but I didn't post about because I didn't think anyone would believe me. I thought those orthodox guys didn't work? Why would they go abroad? Do they also do electronics businesses?

binge crotching posted:

The number of people walking around Taipei this afternoon in full jackets and heavy coats is hilarious. It's 26c and sunny, but I guess because it's still winter it's jacket season.
Yesterday was sunny and hot (like 28) and all of the jacket-havers decided to pull them over their heads and wear them like blankets, so they were still sweating and hot, but now had the bonus of the sun not turning them into a BLACK MAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

Whoa. I saw one in the supermarket near my house last week, but I didn't post about because I didn't think anyone would believe me. I thought those orthodox guys didn't work? Why would they go abroad? Do they also do electronics businesses?

What they don't do is combat roles in the Israeli Defense Force because their hideous political bloc keeps them out of it. They shitlord the shitlords.

But yeah they all run businesses. Buying / selling diamonds or weapons are the two traditional lines of work that aren't "clothes for us" or "food for us" or something like that. Electronics wouldn't surprise me.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 19, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

ladron posted:

wow

and I wasn't mentioning chubby korean american girls tagging black guys in korea as anything other than a statement of observed fact.

If you're gonna get shot for mining gems, you might as well get shot for stealing them.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Food poisoning is serious business, not even once kids. D. A. R. E to take the challenge?

*egg cooking on a frying pan.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
3 years in the mainland, never got food poisoning.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've never had bonfide food poisoning but I'd have diarrhea in China at least once a week, I don't even remember really because it happened so often. Lived in Thailand for almost two years and only ever had the shits there like twice.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
It is famously cheap though, and it seems like a very good deal if you don't know the geographical layout. From its advertising, the hotel looks like it's very convenient to get to because it is close to the Metro station that takes you to the airport. In reality, it is a crazy bus ride away from the metro station, and the buses are not frequent or located in any obvious or convenient place to get onto. The hotel is usually booked up with mainland Chinese travelling as part of tour groups. I have met business travellers trying to get to the hotel before, and they always seem incredibly confused as to how hard it is to get to.

Hong Kong actually has a Jewish tradition that is as old as the founding of the Colony itself. A lot of the early Tycoons were Baghdad Jews. There are some really old synagogues on Hong Kong island that are cool to check out if you're into religious history.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

binge crotching posted:

The number of people walking around Taipei this afternoon in full jackets and heavy coats is hilarious. It's 26c and sunny, but I guess because it's still winter it's jacket season.

I'm wearing a jacket today as a protest against the onset of warm weather again. gently caress off! I was enjoying the winter!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hakimashou posted:

3 years in the mainland, never got food poisoning.

Unlucky I guess. Had food poisoning once when I was a kid when I ate some half cooked chicken nibbles. That was fun but this certainly takes the cake.

My gut has always been on the delicate side but this is the literal shits. At least toilets here are better now overall as they aren't locking them behind keys with giant rasps and are clean for most part.

I can only imagine the horror if I went north or to India.

At least I am out and about generally able to enjoy the tour being given this time far more informative that before. It is really too much information to absorb when combined while trying to understand more higher level usage.

I will do my best to make reasonably detailed post later but yeah not a winner of a day.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm wearing a jacket today as a protest against the onset of warm weather again. gently caress off! I was enjoying the winter!

Cold good but constant winter rain bad.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Cold good but constant winter rain bad.

It's been dry as gently caress this winter, which is probably bad.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

oohhboy posted:

Unlucky I guess. Had food poisoning once when I was a kid when I ate some half cooked chicken nibbles. That was fun but this certainly takes the cake.
My gut has always been on the delicate side but this is the literal shits. At least toilets here are better now overall as they aren't locking them behind keys with giant rasps and are clean for most part.
I can only imagine the horror if I went north or to India.

Having the shits in India actually wasn't bad because every restroom had a water gun for your butt

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

You seem to attract bullshit situations. Have you travelled outside of Asia? Is this normal or are you just really unlucky a la a non sexual Haier?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

You seem to attract bullshit situations. Have you travelled outside of Asia? Is this normal or are you just really unlucky a la a non sexual Haier?

this was why I said not to go to the mainland

some people show up in Asia and their biggest problem is that their phone usage internet plan isn't working out. It's a Hong Kong problem. I understand it sucks but if it's a huge problem for you I can not be more clear when I say "do not under any circumstances go to the mainland"

"My phones data plan is so bad!!!!" Is a Hong Kong/Shenzhen/Shanghai problem. If you're having issues with it, just fly back to Canada/USA/UK/Australia. Your trip is already going to be terrible and you will save money by leaving early

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"I really need a good vpn for my Netflix account" a guy says in japan T&T. SPOILER: your trip is going to loving blow in your opinion, skip all the flights and just drive from Portland to Corvallis or Eugene and watch Netflix and eat a hot dog in your best western hotel room and tell everyone you went to Japan, no one will know the difference and you will be so much happier

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's definitely pretty cool how diverse Hong Kong is, ended up stumbling across that Sikh temple just by chance. Wish I'd found out more about the Jews and Muslims there, that sounds very interesting.

I have stayed in Chungqing mansions (lol). Indians outside kept trying to sell me tailored suits. And I could be wrong, but it seemed like they switched from suits to drugs at around seven-ish in the evening.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Chungking mansion is the BEST place to stay in HK hands down

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

Just unlucky and maybe a little too trusting of some of my relatives when I should know better.

Things that I have done and organised on my own volition have worked out well. My uncle in law is a great guy and the tours he organises are excellent. His wife aka my aunt is the wrench in the works. Is a bit simple and oblivious. She has a bunch of other personality traits that grind my gears.

I repeat again she means well but her good intentions have gotten me into 90% of the trouble I have had here. I am slowly but surely changing her behaviour towards me to something more manageable/acceptable.

Despite all the problems I am enjoying my time here and what you are seeing are the interesting bits the thread take joy in. It would be very boring if I said I wandered around for a bit, found some things to buy and went home/ ate somewhere without describing that places gimmick or oddities.

Plus bitching about things is a great outlet when things do go wrong.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

oohhboy posted:

Just unlucky and maybe a little too trusting of some of my relatives when I should know better.

Things that I have done and organised on my own volition have worked out well. My uncle in law is a great guy and the tours he organises are excellent. His wife aka my aunt is the wrench in the works. Is a bit simple and oblivious. She has a bunch of other personality traits that grind my gears.

I repeat again she means well but her good intentions have gotten me into 90% of the trouble I have had here. I am slowly but surely changing her behaviour towards me to something more manageable/acceptable.

Despite all the problems I am enjoying my time here and what you are seeing are the interesting bits the thread take joy in. It would be very boring if I said I wandered around for a bit, found some things to buy and went home/ ate somewhere without describing that places gimmick or oddities.

Just writing about your day to day is actually what you do, if you think the technical details of what electronics you bought or didn't buy are interesting you are sadly mistaken. Your badminton tantrum was interesting to read but only because you seem completely oblivious to the efforts of your relatives to accommodate your lovely attitude and are candidly retelling how you acted like a spoiled princess for an entire afternoon over a game. Your aunt has my sympathy, poor woman is clearly trying hard to please you but her inability to read your mind makes her worthless in your eyes.
I'm all for making fun of the Chinese attitude but in your case it appears the China was inside you all along.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

The Great Autismo! posted:

Chungking mansion is the BEST place to stay in HK hands down

HK has what two Mandos and also the Peninsula just saying.

In all honesty the best place to stay in HK is with a friend :kimchi:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
ohhhboy pay no attention to that StudMuffin guy :justpost:

Also you've come all this way already, I strongly recommend you visit the mainland during your trip. Aren't you going to a wedding there or something?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

edit: HerStuddMuffin :getout:

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 19, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

HK has what two Mandos and also the Peninsula just saying.

In all honesty the best place to stay in HK is with a friend :kimchi:

going to HK and not staying in Chungking is like going to Boston and not seeing Fenway

It's a cultural touchstone

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
XIAMEN:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Great Autismo! posted:

"I really need a good vpn for my Netflix account" a guy says in japan T&T. SPOILER: your trip is going to loving blow in your opinion, skip all the flights and just drive from Portland to Corvallis or Eugene and watch Netflix and eat a hot dog in your best western hotel room and tell everyone you went to Japan, no one will know the difference and you will be so much happier

Please do not encourage these people to tell lies, they are very impressionable.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

oohhboy posted:

also this is true but if you are white and live in Asia full time this is what makes you a racist expat, so if you are an Asian traveler bitching about this please appreciate your privilege TY

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

My best experience in Hong Kong was living with in the New Territories in the leaky house of an eccentric guy from airbnb. I just went around and looked at temples, walled villages, the wetland park etc. The guy also took me hiking, it was pretty cool.

Hiking up to that giant Buddha on Lantau island statue with my ex ranks second.

I can't really stand the heat though, or at least need a couple of weeks to acclimatize during which time I'm either constantly sweating or freezing because of the AC everywhere. Can't imagine how that poor Orthodox Jew can stand it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Just writing about your day to day is actually what you do, if you think the technical details of what electronics you bought or didn't buy are interesting you are sadly mistaken. Your badminton tantrum was interesting to read but only because you seem completely oblivious to the efforts of your relatives to accommodate your lovely attitude and are candidly retelling how you acted like a spoiled princess for an entire afternoon over a game. Your aunt has my sympathy, poor woman is clearly trying hard to please you but her inability to read your mind makes her worthless in your eyes.
I'm all for making fun of the Chinese attitude but in your case it appears the China was inside you all along.

also 哇

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005

ladron posted:

wow

and I wasn't mentioning chubby korean american girls tagging black guys in korea as anything other than a statement of observed fact.

to back this up (oh god), korean-american girls born and schooled in america but raised by korean parents acting like they're still in korea do have a strong tendency to rebel like a motherfucker, and bringing home the most controversial guy possible is definitely a part of that

chubbiness also isn't surprising since korean moms have very often mastered the art of instilling eating disorders. if you don't eat my food you hate me (eat all this rice and fatty pork, yes it's too much that's the point of cooking for people), oh my god you're so fat now, how are you so fat, no one will love your fat rear end (repeat x forever)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grevling posted:

My best experience in Hong Kong was living with in the New Territories in the leaky house of an eccentric guy from airbnb. I just went around and looked at temples, walled villages, the wetland park etc. The guy also took me hiking, it was pretty cool.

Hiking up to that giant Buddha on Lantau island statue with my ex ranks second.

I can't really stand the heat though, or at least need a couple of weeks to acclimatize during which time I'm either constantly sweating or freezing because of the AC everywhere. Can't imagine how that poor Orthodox Jew can stand it.

Me and my friend took the cable car up to the lantau buddha like the same day or day after it reopened from being closed for one of the cars falling off.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

gently caress, don't say that. The bus ride we took to get down was enough of a thrill for me.

I vaguely remember the cable car still being closed now that you mention it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

does anyone have this thing where you subconsciously assume that people who don't speak english are stupid?
this has nothing to do with your avatar but after hearing australians speak for an extended period i really started to look down on them and i couldnt help it

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

moldovan scullery posted:

chubbiness also isn't surprising since korean moms have very often mastered the art of instilling eating disorders. if you don't eat my food you hate me (eat all this rice and fatty pork, yes it's too much that's the point of cooking for people), oh my god you're so fat now, how are you so fat, no one will love your fat rear end (repeat x forever)

anecdotal, but I've dated and had a number of korean girls as friends, and 99.9% had what I would describe as a lovely hateful mom who constantly put her down, passive aggressively at best, but active "you are going to die alone because you are so ugly" poo poo was pretty common too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Same. I can't actually think of a Korean girl I know with anything like a healthy relationship with her mom.

Known a few where the hate was mainly from grandma, constantly abusing her because she had the gall to be born female instead of a useful boy. Pure loving loathing from your grandmother your whole life, that's cool.

E: Best Korean grandma story from a friend of a friend. She was dating a Japanese guy (both in their 20s) and he proposed, she accepted, so it was time to face the music and tell the family. Dad flipped his loving poo poo about the idea of his daughter marrying a Japanese guy and forbid it.

Grandma (dad's mom) stepped in. Said she lived through the occupation, saw the Japanese murder her parents, and so she was the only one in the family with the right to decide. Then told dad that this Japanese kid wasn't alive then and had nothing to do with it so shut the gently caress up and welcome him to the family.

I'm sure dad remained unhappy but he did as grandma commanded and stopped being a dick.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 19, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Same. I can't actually think of a Korean girl I know with anything like a healthy relationship with her mom.

Known a few where the hate was mainly from grandma, constantly abusing her because she had the gall to be born female instead of a useful boy. Pure loving loathing from your grandmother your whole life, that's cool.

dude, I have a few mother in law stories that are basically unbelievable if you know nothing about the culture

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ladron posted:

dude, I have a few mother in law stories that are basically unbelievable if you know nothing about the culture

:justpost:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

:same:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ladron posted:

I've had enough friends with lovely moms--American or otherwise--that it would be hard to truly surprise me at this point. Or in short:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

heh, ok, ok

In korean culture, the oldest son usually has to live with his parents, including after marriage.

girl 1- I had her as a student, and then she wrote me asking questions about getting a masters or something, and we kept in touch (for those tuning in late, I was a university professor for like 6 years. It's actually Dr. Ladron. Suck it.).
Her mother in law basically hated her mother, and would do poo poo like throw the dishes of food at her if they were too salty or whatever. The MIL also used to wake the mother up by throwing things at her head while she was sleeping. When she finally died, her mother was like "I am finally free". She told her daughter to never marry a korean, marry a swiss guy instead. I don't know why swiss...

girl 2- I dated this girl. Her grandma (mom's MIL) was a loving psycho from the stories I heard. poo poo like getting a kitten, making the mother take care of it and grow attached, then killing it and making her cook it. poo poo like that. Eventually her mother had some sort of mental breakdown and was institutionalized for like a year and then when she got out the girl had to take care of her for a year. The MIL died while the mom was in the hospital. I never met her mother, but apparently she was like random crying jags levels of hosed up from poo poo her MIL did to her.

***Mandatory apology to frozenpeas or whatever your name is these days for stomping into this thread and trying to impress people with tales of my ten years in korea***

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Ugh, it is every "old town traditional street" tourist trap I have seen in every city I have been to.

• Locked thread